End Times and Current Events
March 19, 2024, 01:36:16 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: "Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me." John 5:39 (KJB)

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Feminism has slain our protectors

Shoutbox
December 31, 2022, 10:08:58 am NilsFor1611 says: blessings
August 08, 2018, 02:38:10 am suzytr says: Hello, any good churches in the Sacto, CA area, also looking in Reno NV, thanks in advance and God Bless you Smiley
January 29, 2018, 01:21:57 am Christian40 says: It will be interesting to see what happens this year Israel being 70 years as a modern nation may 14 2018
October 17, 2017, 01:25:20 am Christian40 says: It is good to type Mark is here again!  Smiley
October 16, 2017, 03:28:18 am Christian40 says: anyone else thinking that time is accelerating now? it seems im doing days in shorter time now is time being affected in some way?
September 24, 2017, 10:45:16 pm Psalm 51:17 says: The specific rule pertaining to the national anthem is found on pages A62-63 of the league rulebook. It states: “The National Anthem must be played prior to every NFL game, and all players must be on the sideline for the National Anthem. “During the National Anthem, players on the field and bench area should stand at attention, face the flag, hold helmets in their left hand, and refrain from talking. The home team should ensure that the American flag is in good condition. It should be pointed out to players and coaches that we continue to be judged by the public in this area of respect for the flag and our country. Failure to be on the field by the start of the National Anthem may result in discipline, such as fines, suspensions, and/or the forfeiture of draft choice(s) for violations of the above, including first offenses.”
September 20, 2017, 04:32:32 am Christian40 says: "The most popular Hepatitis B vaccine is nothing short of a witch’s brew including aluminum, formaldehyde, yeast, amino acids, and soy. Aluminum is a known neurotoxin that destroys cellular metabolism and function. Hundreds of studies link to the ravaging effects of aluminum. The other proteins and formaldehyde serve to activate the immune system and open up the blood-brain barrier. This is NOT a good thing."
http://www.naturalnews.com/2017-08-11-new-fda-approved-hepatitis-b-vaccine-found-to-increase-heart-attack-risk-by-700.html
September 19, 2017, 03:59:21 am Christian40 says: bbc international did a video about there street preaching they are good witnesses
September 14, 2017, 08:06:04 am Psalm 51:17 says: bro Mark Hunter on YT has some good, edifying stuff too.
September 14, 2017, 04:31:26 am Christian40 says: i have thought that i'm reaping from past sins then my life has been impacted in ways from having non believers in my ancestry.
View Shout History
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Feminism has slain our protectors  (Read 13203 times)
Psalm 51:17
Global Moderator

View Profile
« on: September 15, 2014, 12:43:14 pm »

Read this in my paper this morning(Dallas Morning News)...

http://www.dallasnews.com/entertainment/books/20140913-local-novelist-merritt-tierce-turns-pain-into-literary-pleasure.ece
9/13/14
Local novelist Merritt Tierce turns pain into literary pleasure

NEW YORK — Marie, the self-loathing protagonist of Merritt Tierce’s autobiographical debut novel, Love Me Back, hurts herself as a way of life. She cuts and burns her body. She drinks and drugs, passes out and wakes up to do the same all over again. Mostly she floats through a series of anesthetizing sexual encounters — with friends, with colleagues, with strangers.

The buzz about Love Me Back, a scalding book with a disarming sense of gallows humor, surrounds Marie’s long stint working at a high-end, bacchanalian Dallas steakhouse. Tierce, now 35, did indeed work at such a steakhouse and lived much as Marie did: fast, hard, reckless. But her novel, which will be published Tuesday by Doubleday, is above all the story of a young woman driven to punish herself.

“She has internalized a really enormous psychic wound,” Tierce says in an interview at BookExpo America in May. “It’s not necessarily personal. It’s just being a woman and growing up in the culture she grew up in. She’s taking it in, and she doesn’t know how to get it out. I think Marie hurts herself to figure out if she’s still alive.”

Love Me Back is an uncompromising read, one reason why it’s so hard to put down. Marie describes her own misadventures and the frat house culture of “The Restaurant” with brutal self-awareness and a matter-of-fact tone.

All of this comes with an encouraging caveat: The person who wrote Love Me Back is clearly in command of her craft and in a much better place than her literary alter ego. To write about the hard stuff, it helps to live through it and come out the other side.

“There’s not a whiff of sentimentality in Merritt’s work,” says Dallas’ Ben Fountain, a National Book Award finalist for his 2012 novel, Billy Lynn’s Long Halftime Walk. Fountain published Tierce’s short story “Suck It” (now a key chapter in Love Me Back) when he was fiction editor at the Southwest Review. “She goes straight to the heart of whatever situation she’s writing about and does it with a coolly merciless clarity that few writers have the guts or talent to pull off.”

Today Tierce lives in Denton with her second husband, Evan Stone, and her two daughters. She’s a graduate of the prestigious Iowa Writers’ Workshop, and last year the National Book Foundation selected her as one of its 5 Under 35, a huge honor for a young writer.

Tierce was always a brain. She grew up in a series of small towns in Central and West Texas, then moved to Denton when she was 15 to attend TAMS, the University of North Texas residential math and science program where high school-age students earn college credits. She earned her undergraduate degree when she was 19 and was accepted to Yale Divinity School.

She never got there. Around the same time, she got pregnant, got married, and entered the darkness of her 20s. “If you weren’t lost in your 20s, you’re probably not that interesting,” she says.

So how much of Tierce went into Marie? “The real fiction about fiction is that all of it’s true,” she says. “It does come from a lot of my experiences in Dallas, but it’s not a memoir.”

She pauses.

“I need to find a go-to answer to that question. It’s the first thing people ask not just me, but anyone whose novel is in any way recognizable.”

But she leaves no doubt that life at the steakhouse, where she worked from 2005 to 2011, was completely nuts. Big money flowed from famous clients — twice, Rush Limbaugh left her $2,000 tips. “That’s like blood money to me,” she says.

It’s well-known that she worked at Nick and Sam’s, but she doesn’t want scenes from The Restaurant read as an exposé, or even pinned to a particular place. The culture was ubiquitous, she says. “It’s not unique in Dallas as a scene or a restaurant. At the time I worked there, of the fine-dining steakhouses in Dallas it could have been the raunchiest, most over-the-top, hateful, misogynist hot mess around. I don’t know, because I didn’t work at the other ones.”

It’s a good bet she never will. She eventually “got out of the habit of destroying” herself, she says. “If you’re lucky enough to catch some glimpse of hope or see that you can be living in the world a different way, it’s natural to not want to go back the other way.” In the novel’s acknowledgments she thanks her second husband “for seeing me, wanting me, knowing me, trusting me, making me laugh enough to dispel two decades of sadness, loving me right, and letting me be deeply happy for the first time in my life.”

She doesn’t live on the edge anymore. To find more time for writing, she recently stepped down from her job as the executive director of the Texas Equal Access Fund, a nonprofit group that helps low-income women pay for abortions. Remember those Rush Limbaugh tips? A big chunk of them went to the TEA Fund. “Which felt like laundering it, in a good way,” she says.

She survived her days of self-destruction, and she doesn’t miss the thrills.

“I love my life now,” she says. “It’s really boring and great.”

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

John 12:25  He that loveth his life shall lose it; and he that hateth his life in this world shall keep it unto life eternal.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 12:50:13 pm by BornAgain2 » Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: