End Times and Current Events
March 28, 2024, 12:30:53 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome To End Times and Current Events.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Acts 16:31 - thoughts from 18th Cent Theologian John Gill

Shoutbox
March 27, 2024, 12:55:24 pm Mark says: Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked  When Hamas spokesman Abu Ubaida began a speech marking the 100th day of the war in Gaza, one confounding yet eye-opening proclamation escaped the headlines. Listing the motives for the Palestinian militant group's Oct. 7 massacre in Israel, he accused Jews of "bringing red cows" to the Holy Land.
December 31, 2022, 10:08:58 am NilsFor1611 says: blessings
August 08, 2018, 02:38:10 am suzytr says: Hello, any good churches in the Sacto, CA area, also looking in Reno NV, thanks in advance and God Bless you Smiley
January 29, 2018, 01:21:57 am Christian40 says: It will be interesting to see what happens this year Israel being 70 years as a modern nation may 14 2018
October 17, 2017, 01:25:20 am Christian40 says: It is good to type Mark is here again!  Smiley
October 16, 2017, 03:28:18 am Christian40 says: anyone else thinking that time is accelerating now? it seems im doing days in shorter time now is time being affected in some way?
September 24, 2017, 10:45:16 pm Psalm 51:17 says: The specific rule pertaining to the national anthem is found on pages A62-63 of the league rulebook. It states: “The National Anthem must be played prior to every NFL game, and all players must be on the sideline for the National Anthem. “During the National Anthem, players on the field and bench area should stand at attention, face the flag, hold helmets in their left hand, and refrain from talking. The home team should ensure that the American flag is in good condition. It should be pointed out to players and coaches that we continue to be judged by the public in this area of respect for the flag and our country. Failure to be on the field by the start of the National Anthem may result in discipline, such as fines, suspensions, and/or the forfeiture of draft choice(s) for violations of the above, including first offenses.”
September 20, 2017, 04:32:32 am Christian40 says: "The most popular Hepatitis B vaccine is nothing short of a witch’s brew including aluminum, formaldehyde, yeast, amino acids, and soy. Aluminum is a known neurotoxin that destroys cellular metabolism and function. Hundreds of studies link to the ravaging effects of aluminum. The other proteins and formaldehyde serve to activate the immune system and open up the blood-brain barrier. This is NOT a good thing."
http://www.naturalnews.com/2017-08-11-new-fda-approved-hepatitis-b-vaccine-found-to-increase-heart-attack-risk-by-700.html
September 19, 2017, 03:59:21 am Christian40 says: bbc international did a video about there street preaching they are good witnesses
September 14, 2017, 08:06:04 am Psalm 51:17 says: bro Mark Hunter on YT has some good, edifying stuff too.
View Shout History
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Acts 16:31 - thoughts from 18th Cent Theologian John Gill  (Read 561 times)
Psalm 51:17
Global Moderator

View Profile
« on: September 28, 2015, 03:45:24 pm »

http://www.biblestudytools.com/commentaries/gills-exposition-of-the-bible/acts-16-31.html

Acts 16:31
And they said, believe in the Lord Jesus Christ

Not with a bare historical faith, as only to believe that he was the Son of God, and the Messiah, and that he was come in the flesh, and had suffered, and died, and rose again, and was now in heaven at the right hand of God, and would come again to judge both quick and dead, for there may be such a faith and no salvation; but so as to look unto him alone for life and salvation, to rely upon him, and trust in him; to commit himself, and the care of his immortal soul unto him, and to expect peace, pardon, righteousness, and eternal life from him; the answer is much the same our Lord returned to the Jews, when they asked, though not with the same affection and sincerity as this man, what they must do to work the works of God, ( John 6:28 John 6:29 ) .

And thou shalt be saved;
from sin, and all its miserable effects and consequences; from the curses of the law, from the power of Satan, from the evil of the world, from the wrath of God, hell and damnation: this is to be understood of a spiritual and eternal salvation; for it is said, after that the jailer was inquiring about it, being terrified in his conscience with a sense of sin and wrath; and between believing in Christ, and being saved with an everlasting salvation, there is a strict and inseparable connection, ( Mark 16:16 ) though not faith, but Christ is the cause and author of salvation; faith spies salvation in Christ, goes to him for it, receives it from him, and believes unto it:

and thy house;
or family, provided they believe in Christ also, as they did, ( Acts 16:34 ) or otherwise there can be no salvation, for he that believeth not shall be damned.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No, repentance is not mentioned here - however, when you look at the context, pretty much IMPLICITLY it's being mentioned. John Gill makes a lot of good points. It's not that we "Just believe..."(and go on our merry ways), but we have an ATTITUDE toward sin changing, and are putting our FAITH AND TRUST in Jesus Christ!

Ephesians 1:12  That we should be to the praise of his glory, who first trusted in Christ.
Eph 1:13  In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,
Eph 1:14  Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 04:50:14 pm by 1st Timothy 6:13-14 » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2015, 04:09:06 pm »

I just want to clarify what I mean by Easy Believism(a damnable heresy floating around now) - this heresy means you just merely "believe" Jesus came in the flesh, died on the cross, and rose again(as bolded in red above), and *nothing more*(while going on your merry ways). Nothing about putting your TRUST in his finished works, his word, your attitude toward sin changing, etc.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 04:49:27 pm by 1st Timothy 6:13-14 » Report Spam   Logged
Mark
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2015, 05:49:49 am »

Can you quote any one else other than Gill that the word tremble means repentance? 
Report Spam   Logged

What can you do for Jesus?  Learn what 1 person can accomplish.

The Man from George Street
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkjMvPhLrn8
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2015, 08:27:51 am »

Can you quote any one else other than Gill that the word tremble means repentance? 

Jeremiah 5:22  Fear ye not me? saith the LORD: will ye not tremble at my presence, which have placed the sand for the bound of the sea by a perpetual decree, that it cannot pass it: and though the waves thereof toss themselves, yet can they not prevail; though they roar, yet can they not pass over it?

I have a question for you(and no, I'm not trying to start an argument or anything) - Barack Obama has professed to be a Christian(via Acts 16:31). I've seen interviews of sodomites that said they put their belief in Jesus Christ.

Can you honestly say Obama and these sodomites are saved?
Report Spam   Logged
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2015, 08:47:41 am »

Have you seen these recent Denlinger videos? If you haven't, please watch at least the first part. Bryan exposes the "belief only" crowd(and personally, it opened my eyes to a lot of things I didn't know).

Report Spam   Logged
Mark
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2015, 09:43:42 am »

Jeremiah 5:22  Fear ye not me? saith the LORD: will ye not tremble at my presence, which have placed the sand for the bound of the sea by a perpetual decree, that it cannot pass it: and though the waves thereof toss themselves, yet can they not prevail; though they roar, yet can they not pass over it?

I have a question for you(and no, I'm not trying to start an argument or anything) - Barack Obama has professed to be a Christian(via Acts 16:31). I've seen interviews of sodomites that said they put their belief in Jesus Christ.

Can you honestly say Obama and these sodomites are saved?

You keep pointing up the word trembling. That has nothing to do with repentance. Many people proclaim they are Christian, catholics, mormons, a lot of new agers. Doesnt make it so. They only way to know is by their fruits. Do you honestly know a mans heart or what he believes? That is reserved for the Lord only. My walk with the Lord is way different than yours. You have never walked a day in my shoes as i have never walked a day in yours. So how can you really judge one persons salvation? Except by their fruits? Look at Obamas fruit? Not a christian. Look at Rick Warrens? Not a christian. Look at Bryan Dellinger? A christian.
Report Spam   Logged

What can you do for Jesus?  Learn what 1 person can accomplish.

The Man from George Street
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkjMvPhLrn8
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: