End Times and Current Events
March 28, 2024, 03:27:53 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome To End Times and Current Events.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

1 Corinthians 11:10 ???

Shoutbox
March 27, 2024, 12:55:24 pm Mark says: Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked  When Hamas spokesman Abu Ubaida began a speech marking the 100th day of the war in Gaza, one confounding yet eye-opening proclamation escaped the headlines. Listing the motives for the Palestinian militant group's Oct. 7 massacre in Israel, he accused Jews of "bringing red cows" to the Holy Land.
December 31, 2022, 10:08:58 am NilsFor1611 says: blessings
August 08, 2018, 02:38:10 am suzytr says: Hello, any good churches in the Sacto, CA area, also looking in Reno NV, thanks in advance and God Bless you Smiley
January 29, 2018, 01:21:57 am Christian40 says: It will be interesting to see what happens this year Israel being 70 years as a modern nation may 14 2018
October 17, 2017, 01:25:20 am Christian40 says: It is good to type Mark is here again!  Smiley
October 16, 2017, 03:28:18 am Christian40 says: anyone else thinking that time is accelerating now? it seems im doing days in shorter time now is time being affected in some way?
September 24, 2017, 10:45:16 pm Psalm 51:17 says: The specific rule pertaining to the national anthem is found on pages A62-63 of the league rulebook. It states: “The National Anthem must be played prior to every NFL game, and all players must be on the sideline for the National Anthem. “During the National Anthem, players on the field and bench area should stand at attention, face the flag, hold helmets in their left hand, and refrain from talking. The home team should ensure that the American flag is in good condition. It should be pointed out to players and coaches that we continue to be judged by the public in this area of respect for the flag and our country. Failure to be on the field by the start of the National Anthem may result in discipline, such as fines, suspensions, and/or the forfeiture of draft choice(s) for violations of the above, including first offenses.”
September 20, 2017, 04:32:32 am Christian40 says: "The most popular Hepatitis B vaccine is nothing short of a witch’s brew including aluminum, formaldehyde, yeast, amino acids, and soy. Aluminum is a known neurotoxin that destroys cellular metabolism and function. Hundreds of studies link to the ravaging effects of aluminum. The other proteins and formaldehyde serve to activate the immune system and open up the blood-brain barrier. This is NOT a good thing."
http://www.naturalnews.com/2017-08-11-new-fda-approved-hepatitis-b-vaccine-found-to-increase-heart-attack-risk-by-700.html
September 19, 2017, 03:59:21 am Christian40 says: bbc international did a video about there street preaching they are good witnesses
September 14, 2017, 08:06:04 am Psalm 51:17 says: bro Mark Hunter on YT has some good, edifying stuff too.
View Shout History
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1 Corinthians 11:10 ???  (Read 1105 times)
Mark
Administrator

View Profile
« on: April 02, 2011, 09:45:29 am »

1 Corinthians 11:10   For this cause ought the woman to have power on [her] head because of the angels. 

Thoughts? Opinions? Any one?
Report Spam   Logged

What can you do for Jesus?  Learn what 1 person can accomplish.

The Man from George Street
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkjMvPhLrn8

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Psalm 51:17
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 09:47:25 am »

1 Corinthians 11:10   For this cause ought the woman to have power on [her] head because of the angels. 

Thoughts? Opinions? Any one?

I was just reading this very chapter this morning - I'm wondering what it means too.
Report Spam   Logged
Mark
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 09:55:00 am »

I was just reading this very chapter this morning - I'm wondering what it means too.

from all the commentaries i have read, it keeps leading people back to "evil" angels and Gen 6, yet all of the commentaries reject it out of hand.  Roll Eyes

Here is Chuck Smith's commentary on this verse. As you can see his first assumption makes no sence, his second does yet he dismisses it.

Now, I wish he hadn't of said that, because I was able to follow him pretty well up to this point. But what he meant by "because of the angels" is something that theologians have discussed through the years. One suggestion . . . now, we know that when we gather together, the angels of the Lord gather with us. And it has been suggested that the angels, being creatures of rank and order, respect the order of God, and they like to see the orders and the rankings of God followed.

The second suggestion is that there are also evil angels present and a woman without a veil is attractive to them. I sort of reject the second idea, because nowhere in the New Testament where angels are mentioned in this sense are they fallen angels. I would prefer the former, but I am not satisfied with it. I don't really know what he is referring to, to tell you the truth.

Here is Mathew Henry... Basically the same thing.
She ought to have power on her head, because of the angels. Power, that is, a veil, the token, not of her having the power or superiority, but being under the power of her husband, subjected to him, and inferior to the other sex. Rebekah, when she met Isaac, and was delivering herself into his possession, put on her veil, in token of her subjection, Gen. 24:65. Thus would the apostle have the women appear In Christian assemblies, even though they spoke there by inspiration, because of the angels, that is, say some, because of the evil angels. The woman was first in the transgression, being deceived by the devil (1 Tim. 2:14), which increased her subjection to man, Gen. 3:16. Now, believe evil angels will be sure to mix in all Christian assemblies, therefore should women wear the token of their shamefacedness and subjection, which in that age and country, was a veil. Others say because of the good angels. Jews and Christians have had an opinion that these ministering spirits are many of them present in their assemblies. Their presence should restrain Christians from all indecencies in the worship of God. Note, We should learn from all to behave in the public assemblies of divine worship so as to express a reverence for God, and a content and satisfaction with that rank in which he has placed us.

Report Spam   Logged

Christian40
Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2011, 07:31:23 pm »

Here I will address the question of what the enigmatic phrase "because of the angels" may mean. Several explanations have been offered by scholars, but one explanation stands out as being by far the most commonly accepted. Briefly it is this: In Jewish tradition, and also in the early Church, angels are said to be present at sacred gatherings and sacred times, to watch over and to join with the saints in their spiritual exercises. Any serious offense against propriety during these sacred moments will stir up the disapproval of these angelic helpers of the saints, perhaps causing them to depart; and any good deed they witness will bring all the more aid from them.

The same function of angels, in bringing the prayers of the saints before God, is indicated in Revelation 8:2-4:

"And I saw the seven angels which stood before God; and to them were given seven trumpets. And another angel came and stood at the altar, having a golden censer; and there was given unto him much incense, that he should offer it with the prayers of all saints upon the golden altar which was before the throne. And the smoke of the incense, which came with the prayers of the saints, ascended up before God out of the angel's hand." (Revelation 8:2-4)

http://www.bible-researcher.com/angels.html
Report Spam   Logged
Mark
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011, 04:31:51 am »

That view seems such a stetch. I mean thats like 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon. Im going to go with the Gen 6 view. That just makes sence, and is constantly alluded too in the New Testament.

Also if it was because so as not to offend the angels, than why arent men subjected to it? Even the Seraphim cover their face in the presence of the Allmighty. Sorry but that just doesent make any sence, or even fit with what has already been taught about praying.

The Gen 6 idea fits with no explanation needed, no 6 degrees of seperation, it just works....  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Kilika
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011, 04:37:06 am »

For this cause ought the woman to have power on [her] head because of the angels.

This is one of the verses that I personally am not fully clear on. For whatever reason God has chosen, He has not revealed to me yet what this fully means. Based on other scripture, I do have an impression, but nothing clear. It may be that I'm not able to bear now.

5   If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all [men] liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.  
6   But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed.  
7   For let not that man think that he shall receive any thing of the Lord.  
8   A double minded man [is] unstable in all his ways.
James 1:5-8 (KJB)

This, like any other question we have, is something we are called to have patience, in which we posses our souls. So, while I'm curious, God willing, I'll be patient in waiting for an answer.

The first part of the verse references the previous verses about the relationship between man and woman, as a result of the garden. It says "...power on her head...". I'm not seeing the veil in this. Don't know where they get that out of that verse. I think it's a bit of a leap to reference the Levitical Law, but I do see how they might think that, so I really can't totally dismiss it. The power to me is the authority of the man over woman, which means to me that she is to be married.

Now, that last part, "because of the angels", is...different. Seems a bit strange. But then the verse comes to mind...

"Know ye not that we shall judge angels? how much more things that pertain to this life?" 1 Corinthians 6:3 (KJB)

I find it interesting that this verse is also in 1 Corinthians. That's not an accident, so obviously there is a reason for this. But it doesn't really clarify anything. I assume judging angels will be for man, not woman, but that is just a guess on my part based on other verses about man being the head of the woman. It may end up being man and woman that judges angels, God knows at this point.

I can see how some might think it's reference to the fallen angels, as in it's like a reminder of what woman did in the garden, but that was Satan, not the fallen angels themselves, so it's a weak guess in my opinion.

At times like this I'm reminded that we are to walk in the spirit to not fulfill the lusts of the flesh, so to me I believe that the wisdom is spiritual, not carnal that we are to look to. So that begs the question, "What is the spiritual interpretation of the verse"? In the end, it is a simple answer, as in the "...simplicity that is in Christ".

Consider that woman has the Holy Ghost equally as the man, and answers directly to God, not the angels. In the body of Christ, we are all equal, so it still seems to not make sense.

It may be a reference to the fallen angels, in that because of womans deception, they are some how more prone to being led astray by fallen angels without having a man as their head, being married. Again, a guess on my part.

Ultimately, I see this verse as being wisdom, but not required for salvation, so we may not be given the full answer while in the flesh, as it's not needed. Just like many other things of scripture have no bearing on salvation, like how New Jerusalem may look for instance. If we don't understand how it will look, that won't preclude us from heaven I believe.

This draws me to the verse...

"Again I say unto you, That if two of you shall agree on earth as touching any thing that they shall ask, it shall be done for them of my Father which is in heaven." Matthew 18:19 (KJB)

So, I believe that if two of us agree to ask for what that verse means, we can have the answer.

"Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me." John 5:39 (KJB)
Report Spam   Logged
Mark
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011, 05:00:37 am »

Yet the answer is found in scripture. In Jude to be exact...

Jude 6 And the angels which kept not their first estate, but left their own habitation, he hath reserved in everlasting chains under darkness unto the judgment of the great day.

2 Peter 2:4 For if God spared not the angels that sinned, but cast them down to hell, and delivered them into chains of darkness, to be reserved unto judgment;

If you notice the 2 Peter verse takes place before the flood and Noah in verse 5. Jude and Peter are both talking about the same thing.

Why did they leave? Find that answer and you answer the 1 Cor 11:10 question.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 05:03:19 am by Dok » Report Spam   Logged

Christian40
Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2011, 08:39:39 am »

1 Corinthians 11:10 "For this cause ought the woman to have power on her head because of the angels."

I have read some commentaries say that 1 Cor 11:10 has nothing to do with fallen angels since they are in chains of darkness in hell.

I found this commentary to explain it:

"Man was not created for woman but woman was made for man.  Because of these truths the woman ought to have power or authority on her head. The head covering of the woman represents that she has an authority over her on earth, a visible head. Also she should do this because of the angels who observe men and women behind the scenes of earth. The woman in doing this gives the truth on this subject to angels."

http://mybibleiq.com/Commentary.asp?p=12

Report Spam   Logged
Mark
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2011, 08:58:57 am »

I have read some commentaries say that 1 Cor 11:10 has nothing to do with fallen angels since they are in chains of darkness in hell.

I found this commentary to explain it:

"Man was not created for woman but woman was made for man.  Because of these truths the woman ought to have power or authority on her head. The head covering of the woman represents that she has an authority over her on earth, a visible head. Also she should do this because of the angels who observe men and women behind the scenes of earth. The woman in doing this gives the truth on this subject to angels."

http://mybibleiq.com/Commentary.asp?p=12

Are you saying Angels cannot fall any more?
Report Spam   Logged

Christian40
Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2011, 10:23:13 am »

Are you saying Angels cannot fall any more?

They could if they wanted to, but with Jesus's Second Coming Soon and the New Heavens and New Earth and Satan's eternal punishment and the fallen angels eternal punishment, well if they know about that then it is not likely a "good" angel would want to rebel.
Report Spam   Logged
Mark
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2011, 10:27:44 am »

They could if they wanted to, but with Jesus's Second Coming Soon and the New Heavens and New Earth and Satan's eternal punishment and the fallen angels eternal punishment, well if they know about that then it is not likely a "good" angel would want to rebel.

yet it is still possible correct?

Has Rev 12 happened yet?

it is fully possible and i say probable that this verse is in relation to Gen 6.
Report Spam   Logged

Christian40
Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2011, 10:50:46 am »

yet it is still possible correct?
Has Rev 12 happened yet?
it is fully possible and i say probable that this verse is in relation to Gen 6.

Yes, still possible.
About Rev 12, John must have been writing about the future, would he write in this prophecy about what had already happened in the past in regards to Satan and the angels?
About Gen 6, that is about the fallen angels, but here in Corinthians it is "angels" it does not say fallen angels or evil angels. To mention evil angels would go off the topic, the reader would get confused because the chapter is about man, women and God.
Report Spam   Logged
Kilika
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2011, 03:43:51 am »

I will concede that it COULD be. Like I posted, it may be a reference, as in a warning of what could happen to woman if she doesn't have a husband over her, as in she could fall more easily being alone.

Scripture does say it is better to marry than to burn.

It may be a reference to the fallen angels, in that because of womans deception, they are some how more prone to being led astray by fallen angels without having a man as their head, being married. Again, a guess on my part.

We can also consider that Satan is in fact an angel also, so the verse saying "angels" could fit.

And I should clarify when I previously said "some how more prone". There is no "some how", as scripture does make it clear in Genesis why woman is more prone when they were banished from the garden. Poor use of words on my part.
Report Spam   Logged
Jshannon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2011, 10:32:51 pm »

I am only a student at this point in Gods word, but this verse seems more of question than anything as the chapter is discussing the order of things..

3. But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ;and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God.

Which leads up to verse 9 and 10

9. Neither was the man created for the woman; but the women for the man.

10.For this cause ought the women to have power on her head because of the angels.

Broken down looks like this to me

For this cause  (or for this reason)
 Ought the woman to have power on her head ? (should the women have power on or over her head, instead of the man)
 because of the angels ( Gen 3:14 here, "the serpent (or the fallen angel Satan) beguiled me, and I did eat.")

It seems like more of a reference to history of why the order of things are as they are. Correct me if I am wrong here.

Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: