End Times and Current Events
March 28, 2024, 03:41:20 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: "Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me." John 5:39 (KJB)

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

What is the Gap Theory? Did anything happen between Genesis 1:1 and 1:2?

Shoutbox
March 27, 2024, 12:55:24 pm Mark says: Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked  When Hamas spokesman Abu Ubaida began a speech marking the 100th day of the war in Gaza, one confounding yet eye-opening proclamation escaped the headlines. Listing the motives for the Palestinian militant group's Oct. 7 massacre in Israel, he accused Jews of "bringing red cows" to the Holy Land.
December 31, 2022, 10:08:58 am NilsFor1611 says: blessings
August 08, 2018, 02:38:10 am suzytr says: Hello, any good churches in the Sacto, CA area, also looking in Reno NV, thanks in advance and God Bless you Smiley
January 29, 2018, 01:21:57 am Christian40 says: It will be interesting to see what happens this year Israel being 70 years as a modern nation may 14 2018
October 17, 2017, 01:25:20 am Christian40 says: It is good to type Mark is here again!  Smiley
October 16, 2017, 03:28:18 am Christian40 says: anyone else thinking that time is accelerating now? it seems im doing days in shorter time now is time being affected in some way?
September 24, 2017, 10:45:16 pm Psalm 51:17 says: The specific rule pertaining to the national anthem is found on pages A62-63 of the league rulebook. It states: “The National Anthem must be played prior to every NFL game, and all players must be on the sideline for the National Anthem. “During the National Anthem, players on the field and bench area should stand at attention, face the flag, hold helmets in their left hand, and refrain from talking. The home team should ensure that the American flag is in good condition. It should be pointed out to players and coaches that we continue to be judged by the public in this area of respect for the flag and our country. Failure to be on the field by the start of the National Anthem may result in discipline, such as fines, suspensions, and/or the forfeiture of draft choice(s) for violations of the above, including first offenses.”
September 20, 2017, 04:32:32 am Christian40 says: "The most popular Hepatitis B vaccine is nothing short of a witch’s brew including aluminum, formaldehyde, yeast, amino acids, and soy. Aluminum is a known neurotoxin that destroys cellular metabolism and function. Hundreds of studies link to the ravaging effects of aluminum. The other proteins and formaldehyde serve to activate the immune system and open up the blood-brain barrier. This is NOT a good thing."
http://www.naturalnews.com/2017-08-11-new-fda-approved-hepatitis-b-vaccine-found-to-increase-heart-attack-risk-by-700.html
September 19, 2017, 03:59:21 am Christian40 says: bbc international did a video about there street preaching they are good witnesses
September 14, 2017, 08:06:04 am Psalm 51:17 says: bro Mark Hunter on YT has some good, edifying stuff too.
View Shout History
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is the Gap Theory? Did anything happen between Genesis 1:1 and 1:2?  (Read 21928 times)
Psalm 51:17
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: August 20, 2015, 11:03:16 am »

Report Spam   Logged
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: August 20, 2015, 08:22:31 pm »

http://www.thewatcherfiles.com/bluebeam.html
PROJECT BLUE BEAM

The infamous NASA Blue Beam Project has four different steps in order to implement the new age religion with the antichrist at its head. We must remember that the new age religion is the very foundation for the new world government, without which religion the dictatorship of the new world order is completely impossible. I'll repeat that: Without a universal belief in the new age religion, the success of the new world order will be impossible! That is why the Blue Beam Project is so important to them, but has been so well hidden until now.

The first step concerns the breakdown of all archeological knowledge. It deals with the setup with artificially created earthquakes at certain precise locations on the planet where, supposedly, new discoveries will finally explain to all people the error of all fundamental religious doctrines. The falsification of this information will be used to make all nations believe that their religious doctrines have been misunderstood for centuries and misinterpreted. Psychological preparations for that first step have already been implemented with the film, "2001: A Space Oddessy;" the StarTrek series, and "Star Wars;" all of which deal with invasions from space and the coming together of all nations to repel the invaders. The last films, "Jurrassic Park," deals with the theories of evolution, and claim God's words are lies.

What is important to understand in the first step is that those earthquakes will hit at different parts of the world where scientific and archeological teachings have indicated that arcane mysteries have been buried. By those types of earthquakes, it will possible for scientists to re-discover those arcane mysteries which will be used to discredit all fundamental religious doctrines. This is the first preparation for the plan for humanity because what they want to do is destroy the beliefs of all Christians and Muslims on the planet. To do that, they need some false "proof" from the far past that will prove to all nations that their religions have all been misinterpreted and misunderstood.

more in the link

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is exactly what this heretical gap theory is doing - how can those that are preaching and pushing this, expose these falsified claims with their falsifying dating methods? They can expose evolution all they want, but are left defenseless if they support the gap theory.
Report Spam   Logged
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: August 23, 2015, 10:08:33 pm »

I was listening to a pastor's sermon today exposing Mormonism - apparently, this cult believes in the gap theory. They believe that prior to this present earth, there was a "previous" earth for millions of years, until Adam came to clean up all the "chaos".

http://www.mormonwiki.com/Creation

One idea that reconciles Christian belief with the fossil record is that it took millions of years to prepare the earth for modern animal and human life. The organisms that lived during these ancient times all had a purpose, not only to live out their own lives and to fill the measure of their creation, but to change the very atmosphere, land, and seas of the earth. There were a series of great destructions wherein ancient life forms were destroyed, but the effects of their existence have made possible our own survival on the planet. In Doctrine and Covenants, Section 77, verse 12, it says --

We are to understand that as God made the world in six days, and on the seventh day he finished his work, and sanctified it, and also formed man out of the dust of the earth, even so, in the beginning of the seventh thousand years will the Lord God sanctify the earth, and complete the salvation of man, and judge all things, and shall redeem all things, except that which he hath not put into his power, when he shall have sealed all things, unto the end of all things; and the sounding of the trumpets of the seven angels are the preparing and finishing of his work, in the beginning of the seventh thousand years—the preparing of the way before the time of his coming."
Report Spam   Logged
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: September 28, 2015, 12:12:13 am »

Looks like David J. Stewart(Jesus is Saviour web site) believes in the gap theory - he's very crafty in how he pushes it - he starts out saying he doesn't believe it, but in his long articles he will SLOWLY build up his case supporting it little by little. So by end, he ends up catching you napping.

Not surprising, b/c he's an Easy Believism believer who uses this Satanic "Lordship Salvation" strawman argument.
Report Spam   Logged
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: September 30, 2015, 11:31:38 am »

FWIW, a brethren on YT showed me this today - a former brethren's pretty much attacked me on his G+ account b/c I didn't believe in the gap theory(I made my initial comments, which he posted in quotes, on a recent Denlinger video).

Pt being that you see how this damnable heresy is sowing seeds of discord among the brethren. Personally, I don't care that he attacked me, but at the same time it's sad to see fellow KJB believers attacking their fellow KJB believers over this issue. If it was, let's say, someone attending Rick Warren's Saddleback Church attacking others over this, I wouldn't care on the contrary.

I just got a good laugh out of this joker..."gap theory" is a "damnable heresy"...what a crock! Notice here how he says he would not break fellowship over with someone who holds to this DAMNABLE HERESY. What would a Bible believer be doing with someone preaching a damnable heresy? Morgan is another fool who speaks evil of those things which he WON'T understand.

"Also, that guy you exposed(edward) has really been pushing another damnable heresy over the last year - the gap theory(which compromises evolution with the bible). He's used this heretical doctrine to sow further seeds of discord among the brethren. We saw Greg Miller do the same thing last year as well. FWIW, the gap theory is not something I would break fellowship over with, but again - edward and Miller have really been pushing it for over a year now, like it's some important salvation doctrine(and have caused a lot of division among the brethren, as well as confusion with other important doctrines)." - Morgan Hester

No, "Morgan Hester" is not my real name, it was my former YT channel name(I changed it to RomansTenSeventeen afterwards).
Report Spam   Logged
RickStudy

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: October 01, 2015, 04:27:39 pm »

Well he is still of the angelic class. He was created and lived outside of creation in Heaven before the creation of our creation.

Well ponder this...

Gen 1:31 And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day.

God said it was very good. How could it be good if satan was there in iniquity? You could make the claim he wasn't there inside of creation but outside of it. But remember that he still comes and goes and speaks with God in the first chapter of Job.

Hab 1:13 Thou art of purer eyes than to behold evil, and canst not look on iniquity: wherefore lookest thou upon them that deal treacherously, and holdest thy tongue when the wicked devoureth the man that is more righteous than he?

something to ponder there...  Huh

Not much to ponder in my opinion. The issue you raise is a point in favor of a gap view. Everything God made in the six day creation was good per Gen 1:31. Satan was created prior and the verse is not talking about him. Satan did not become active in the new creation until after the fall of man.
Report Spam   Logged
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: October 01, 2015, 06:02:55 pm »

Not much to ponder in my opinion. The issue you raise is a point in favor of a gap view. Everything God made in the six day creation was good per Gen 1:31. Satan was created prior and the verse is not talking about him. Satan did not become active in the new creation until after the fall of man.

Are you saying there was some "previous" earth prior to Genesis 1:2 with some pre-Adamite race?

No, there's no gap - bottom line - God created the earth in 6 days. There was NO "Lucifer's flood" of Genesis 1:2 - if there was, then the earth would not have been covered completely with water, why? B/c floods(not just the global flood) create sedimentary rock layer formations et al.

And Adam was the first man, and death didn't happen until he(and Eve) fell into sin. Otherwise, if there was a gap, death would be came BEFORE sin(and contradicts Romans 5:12-14).

Genesis 3:17  And unto Adam he said, Because thou hast hearkened unto the voice of thy wife, and hast eaten of the tree, of which I commanded thee, saying, Thou shalt not eat of it: cursed is the ground for thy sake; in sorrow shalt thou eat of it all the days of thy life;
Gen 3:18  Thorns also and thistles shall it bring forth to thee; and thou shalt eat the herb of the field;
Gen 3:19  In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return.

Report Spam   Logged
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: October 01, 2015, 06:05:54 pm »

This passage confirms that Satan wasn't found in iniquity until the Garden of Eden.

Ezekiel 28:13  Thou hast been in Eden the garden of God; every precious stone was thy covering, the sardius, topaz, and the diamond, the beryl, the onyx, and the jasper, the sapphire, the emerald, and the carbuncle, and gold: the workmanship of thy tabrets and of thy pipes was prepared in thee in the day that thou wast created.
Eze 28:14  Thou art the anointed cherub that covereth; and I have set thee so: thou wast upon the holy mountain of God; thou hast walked up and down in the midst of the stones of fire.
Eze 28:15  Thou wast perfect in thy ways from the day that thou wast created, till iniquity was found in thee.
Eze 28:16  By the multitude of thy merchandise they have filled the midst of thee with violence, and thou hast sinned: therefore I will cast thee as profane out of the mountain of God: and I will destroy thee, O covering cherub, from the midst of the stones of fire.
Eze 28:17  Thine heart was lifted up because of thy beauty, thou hast corrupted thy wisdom by reason of thy brightness: I will cast thee to the ground, I will lay thee before kings, that they may behold thee.

Report Spam   Logged
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: October 01, 2015, 06:18:00 pm »

Genesis 1:2  And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.

Also, in the Hebrew language - anytime they have a conjunction(ie-and, but, etc), the verb tense following them CAN'T be in the context where an action followed it/resulted after it.

I know I'm not explaining myself well - but this is why you don't see the words like "became" here(which gap theory proponents try to interpret).

So no, NOTHING happened whatsoever prior to Genesis 1:2. There was no "Lucifer's flood", or whatever event.

And look at this passage...

Job 38:4  Where wast thou when I laid the foundations of the earth? declare, if thou hast understanding.
Job 38:5  Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?
Job 38:6  Whereupon are the foundations thereof fastened? or who laid the corner stone thereof;
Job 38:7  When the morning stars sang together, and all the sons of God shouted for joy?

The foundations of the earth was laid when the LORD created the dry land(I believe on the 3rd day). And look at verse 7 - ALL the sons of God(angels) shouted for joy. So from this passage, it's obvious iniquity wasn't found in Satan during the 6 day creation.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 06:30:24 pm by 1st Timothy 6:13-14 » Report Spam   Logged
RickStudy

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: October 01, 2015, 11:28:52 pm »

Genesis 1:2  And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.

Also, in the Hebrew language - anytime they have a conjunction(ie-and, but, etc), the verb tense following them CAN'T be in the context where an action followed it/resulted after it.

I know I'm not explaining myself well - but this is why you don't see the words like "became" here(which gap theory proponents try to interpret).

So no, NOTHING happened whatsoever prior to Genesis 1:2. There was no "Lucifer's flood", or whatever event.

And look at this passage...

Job 38:4  Where wast thou when I laid the foundations of the earth? declare, if thou hast understanding.
Job 38:5  Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?
Job 38:6  Whereupon are the foundations thereof fastened? or who laid the corner stone thereof;
Job 38:7  When the morning stars sang together, and all the sons of God shouted for joy?

The foundations of the earth was laid when the LORD created the dry land(I believe on the 3rd day). And look at verse 7 - ALL the sons of God(angels) shouted for joy. So from this passage, it's obvious iniquity wasn't found in Satan during the 6 day creation.

I don`t read Hebrew so trying to convince me of something based on your interpretation of Hebrew accomplishes nothing. Among Messianic believers, who are often fluent in Hebrew, a time gap is considered a valid theory by many of them.

http://www.royschwarcz.org/2013/01/31/genesis-1/

Report Spam   Logged
RickStudy

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: October 01, 2015, 11:39:24 pm »

This passage confirms that Satan wasn't found in iniquity until the Garden of Eden.

Ezekiel 28:13  Thou hast been in Eden the garden of God; every precious stone was thy covering, the sardius, topaz, and the diamond, the beryl, the onyx, and the jasper, the sapphire, the emerald, and the carbuncle, and gold: the workmanship of thy tabrets and of thy pipes was prepared in thee in the day that thou wast created.
Eze 28:14  Thou art the anointed cherub that covereth; and I have set thee so: thou wast upon the holy mountain of God; thou hast walked up and down in the midst of the stones of fire.
Eze 28:15  Thou wast perfect in thy ways from the day that thou wast created, till iniquity was found in thee.
Eze 28:16  By the multitude of thy merchandise they have filled the midst of thee with violence, and thou hast sinned: therefore I will cast thee as profane out of the mountain of God: and I will destroy thee, O covering cherub, from the midst of the stones of fire.
Eze 28:17  Thine heart was lifted up because of thy beauty, thou hast corrupted thy wisdom by reason of thy brightness: I will cast thee to the ground, I will lay thee before kings, that they may behold thee.

It might confirm it to you and in my opinion many of your views are biased because they have been formed by your religion. The verse says that Satan was in the garden and also says that he was in other places as well. It does not say when he fell or where he was when it happened.

Jesus said Satan was a liar and a murderer from the very beginning so his perfection has to be put into some context. It`s not a guarantee that the two names even refer to the same angel.

Report Spam   Logged
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: October 02, 2015, 10:01:35 am »

I don`t read Hebrew so trying to convince me of something based on your interpretation of Hebrew accomplishes nothing. Among Messianic believers, who are often fluent in Hebrew, a time gap is considered a valid theory by many of them.

http://www.royschwarcz.org/2013/01/31/genesis-1/

Uhm, no - among all Jewish(both conservative and liberal scholars), NONE of them believe in a time "gap" - they all believe in a literal 6 day creation.

The whole gap theory got started when James Hutton brought in the idea that the earth is billions of years old, and then Thomas Chalmers(a liberal bible scholar and a Freemason) brought the time "gap" - churches bought into it hook, line, and sinker, which is why they stood down when Darwin's theory of evolution came into play.

Please go through this thread - you will find articles and videos where the whole gap theory is debunked through and through.

John 5:46  For had ye believed Moses, ye would have believed me: for he wrote of me.
Joh 5:47  But if ye believe not his writings, how shall ye believe my words?

Moses said NOTHING about any time "gap".
Report Spam   Logged
RickStudy

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: October 02, 2015, 01:19:05 pm »

Uhm, no - among all Jewish(both conservative and liberal scholars), NONE of them believe in a time "gap" - they all believe in a literal 6 day creation.

The whole gap theory got started when James Hutton brought in the idea that the earth is billions of years old, and then Thomas Chalmers(a liberal bible scholar and a Freemason) brought the time "gap" - churches bought into it hook, line, and sinker, which is why they stood down when Darwin's theory of evolution came into play.

Please go through this thread - you will find articles and videos where the whole gap theory is debunked through and through.

John 5:46  For had ye believed Moses, ye would have believed me: for he wrote of me.
Joh 5:47  But if ye believe not his writings, how shall ye believe my words?

Moses said NOTHING about any time "gap".

I don`t have the spare time to critique your articles and videos. I would possibly review one article which would be more then sufficient to cover the handful of verses that pertain to a gap theory. I prefer to discuss the Bible and your personal views. It`s not very interesting to discuss someone else`s work when I can`t converse with them.

On the Jewish scholar comment, Jewish scholars are hewn off, they are some of the most mixed up people there is. I dunno what they think because I would not waste the precious time to research them. What I said is that gap theory is accepted as valid by many Messianic Jews who are for the most part fluent in Hebrew. I also furnished a link as both a reference to it and a rebuttal to your assertion about the Hebrew language.
Report Spam   Logged
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: October 02, 2015, 02:01:41 pm »

Ultimately, I don't care what man thinks - the BIBLE, the WORD OF GOD says it took 6 literal, 24 hour days for the LORD to create the earth. No gaps, no bumps, 6 STRAIGHT literal days.

Exodus 20:11  For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

This was part of the 10 commandments to boot.

End of discussion!
Report Spam   Logged
RickStudy

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: October 02, 2015, 02:59:04 pm »

Ultimately, I don't care what man thinks - the BIBLE, the WORD OF GOD says it took 6 literal, 24 hour days for the LORD to create the earth. No gaps, no bumps, 6 STRAIGHT literal days.

Exodus 20:11  For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

This was part of the 10 commandments to boot.

End of discussion!

The word day can mean one of several things in scripture. It can mean a 24 hour day. I don`t see how that would be possible before the sun was made but indeed it can mean that. A day can also refer to an age or a dispensation, both of those words have more or less the same meaning. In Bible prophecy a day can symbolize a year. A day can also mean 1000 years if it is a day by Gods time. God`s time and earth time are not the same. Probably can`t do earth time until the earth has been made. A literal 6 day creation works better as gap theory then it does for you  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Mark
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: October 03, 2015, 04:37:27 am »

The word day can mean one of several things in scripture. It can mean a 24 hour day. I don`t see how that would be possible before the sun was made but indeed it can mean that. A day can also refer to an age or a dispensation, both of those words have more or less the same meaning. In Bible prophecy a day can symbolize a year. A day can also mean 1000 years if it is a day by Gods time. God`s time and earth time are not the same. Probably can`t do earth time until the earth has been made. A literal 6 day creation works better as gap theory then it does for you  Grin

Actually the word day cannot mean more than one thing once it is used in the grammatical setting it is placed in. Day in the Genesis account is 1 literal 24 hour period. This is further backed up by Exo 20:11 which was written by the Lords very finger. Unless you want to discard what he wrote himself...

2Ti 4:3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;

Gap theory is a way for Satan to undermine the Bible by using evolution and science so called. Look at how they actually date things scientifically and you will easily see the ruse that they are using. NO Gap or God is a liar.
Report Spam   Logged

What can you do for Jesus?  Learn what 1 person can accomplish.

The Man from George Street
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkjMvPhLrn8
RickStudy

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: October 03, 2015, 05:26:16 am »

( Normally I wouldn`t post something written by somebody else but this article isn`t very long and presents a point of view consistent with mine.)

CREATION / GAP THEORY

by Pastor Steve Frederick and Pastor Harold Head

Creationism Science believes that the heavens and the earth were created originally in six twenty four days and that there is no gap between Genesis 1:1 and 1:2.  Creationism Science says that the earth is relatively young, being only 6,000 to 10,000 years old, and that Lucifer rebelled and fell sometime after the six days of creation and before his appearance to Adam and Eve in the Garden. They claim Lucifer's fall could not have occurred before or during the six days of Creation because God said everything was GOOD when He rested on the 7th day.

They claim that Adam and the original creation of the earth were both in that original creation week, because Jesus said in Matthew 19 that man and woman were created 'in the beginning'. They would say the ICE AGE science speaks of occurred for a few hundred years after Noah's worldwide flood, and was caused directly by the flood itself, and  this ice age left only a livable area near the equator and Bible lands during this time.  They would say Dinosaurs and mammoths, even the frozen ones, existed during the Noah's day, and since Adam brought death into the world, no life existed and died on a Pre-Adamic earth.

When God used different words such as create, make, and form in Genesis one, these words were used in an interchangeable way, and all meant basically the same thing.  When God told Adam to replenish the earth, it did not mean to 'refill' but simply meant to fill, because before 1650 'replenish' meant 'to fill', and only after 1650 did it take on the meaning of 're-fill'.  Creationism Science says that the fossil record was put in the earth by the flood in Noah's Day and the Grand Canyon was caused by the ICE AGE which resulted after the flood.  Many good Godly men believe the Bible teaches Creationism Science, and it is certainly the most popular interpretation held in Christian circles today.

"GAP THEORY"

Another Theory, known as the 'Gap Theory' is held by many good and Godly Men of the past. While there have been several variations of the Gap Theory over the years, I will present the most commonly held aspects of this theory today. Proponents of this view believe many of the points of Creationism Science, but differ in that they believe there was a gap between Genesis 1:1 and 1:2 in which Lucifer reigned over this Pre-Adamic earth with a host of angels and that his rebellion and fall occurred and God Judged this sin resulting in a chaotic and ruined earth in Genesis 1:2.

Gap Theorists believe what we see in rest of Genesis 1:3-31 is 'reconstruction' or re-creation of earth to make it livable for man.

(Donald Grey Barnhouse, The Invisible War, page 21-26)

Genesis 1:1-2 "In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters."

After many years of careful study, I tend to believe aspects of both of these views are the correct one.  We must be careful to note there are many "Gap Theories" out there, and we must not lump them all together.  Many 'Gap Theory' teachings are not correct, but I believe some the teachings do line up with the Creationism Science.

In summary, I believe Satan did fall between verses 1 and 2, and was over a civilization of angels on a Pre-Adamite earth which was created in verse one.  We don't know how much time transpired between Genesis 1:1 and 1:2 while Lucifer was on this earth, but it need not be a very long period of time at all, certainly not the billions of years evolutionists tell us about!  I believe the 6 days of Genesis 1:3 thru 1:28 are indeed six 24-hour days of RE-creation.  We see 'Create' (out of nothing) used only 3 times in this chapter, and other times the words 'made' and 'formed' are used, meaning already existing materials are used.

Now to me, this is a hard argument to overcome.  Why is 'Create' only used 3 times, and all the other things already existed but are just 'made to appear'?  I believe all the animals and dinosaurs lived with Adam on the Pre-flood earth and that Adam is only around 6000 years old.  Many Aspects of an 'ICE-AGE' science talks about, I believe, were the result of the World Wide flood of Noah's Day.  Carbon-Dating that shows dinosaurs and animals living millions of years ago is about as reliable as a 3-dollar bill.  Carbon Dating has recently showed freshly killed animals to be thousands or millions of years old!

Below we will look at aspects of the Gap Theory and show which ones actually fit with Creationism Science, thus giving us the correct Biblical View of Creation, I believe.

Proponents of this 'RECONSTRUCTION' view or GAP THEORY believe that the heavens and the earth were created in Genesis 1:1 at some undisclosed time in the past, and that Lucifer was put in charge of the earth along with a host of his angels.  Due to Lucifer’s rebellion as described in Isaiah 14:12-17 and Ezekiel 28:12-17, God brought Judgment upon the earth and the universe where it became waste and desolate as described in Genesis 1:2.

Isaiah 14:12-17  How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! how art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations! 13  For thou hast said in thine heart, I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God: I will sit also upon the mount of the congregation, in the sides of the north:14  I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will be like the most High. 15  Yet thou shalt be brought down to hell, to the sides of the pit. 16  They that see thee shall narrowly look upon thee, and consider thee, saying, Is this the man that made the earth to tremble, that did shake kingdoms; 17  That made the world as a wilderness, and destroyed the cities thereof; that opened not the house of his prisoners?

Ezekiel 28:12-17 Son of man, take up a lamentation upon the king of Tyrus, and say unto him, Thus saith the Lord GOD; Thou sealest up the sum, full of wisdom, and perfect in beauty.13  Thou hast been in Eden the garden of God; every precious stone was thy covering, the sardius, topaz, and the diamond, the beryl, the onyx, and the jasper, the sapphire, the emerald, and the carbuncle, and gold: the workmanship of thy tabrets and of thy pipes was prepared in thee in the day that thou wast created.14  Thou art the anointed cherub that covereth; and I have set thee so: thou wast upon the holy mountain of God; thou hast walked up and down in the midst of the stones of fire.15

Thou wast perfect in thy ways from the day that thou wast created, till iniquity was found in thee.16  By the multitude of thy merchandise they have filled the midst of thee with violence, and thou hast sinned: therefore I will cast thee as profane out of the mountain of God: and I will destroy thee, O covering cherub, from the midst of the stones of fire.17  Thine heart was lifted up because of thy beauty, thou hast corrupted thy wisdom by reason of thy brightness: I will cast thee to the ground, I will lay thee before kings, that they may behold thee.

Was Lucifer on a Pre-Adamic Earth?

Notice from these two passages we see they seem to teach Lucifer was ON THE EARTH when he rebelled.  God evidently placed him on earth to rule it and an angelic civilization.

"That made the world as a wilderness, and destroyed the cities thereof; that opened not the house of his prisoners?" (Isaiah 14:17)

M.R. Dehaan believes Lucifer was placed over an Angelic civilization on this pre-adamic earth complete with 'cities' of angels in this angelic civilization with lush vegetation.
(M.R. Dehaan, GENESIS & EVOLUTION, p26-28)

Notice Ezekiel 28:13-17 says Lucifer 'was' in the garden of Eden' BEFORE iniquity was found in him. Wouldn't this teach that he was in the Garden of Eden before Adam and Eve,  possibly on a Pre-Adamic earth?
"Thou hast been in Eden the garden of God..... from the day that thou wast created, till iniquity was found in thee."

Some would argue that the Garden of Eden didn't exist until Genesis 2:8 when it says,
"And the LORD God planted a garden eastward in Eden; and there he put the man whom he had formed."

Well, wait a minute....Here it says that God planted a Garden in Eden....

That doesn't mean there could not have been a garden in Eden on the Pre-adamic earth too....Remember, if this 'Reconstruction' or 'RE-CREATION' view is correct, God 're-creates' and 'makes to appear again' several things....in these first chapters of Genesis....

Isaiah 14:12 says that Lucifer declared he would 'ascend above the clouds' in his rebellion to be like God. This would imply he was on the earth BELOW THE CLOUDS would it not?
 How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! how art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations!13 For thou hast said in thine heart, I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God: I will sit also upon the mount of the congregation, in the sides of the north:14 I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will be like the most High.

What Caused Chaos in Genesis 1:2?

If this is so, Lucifer's rebellion could have brought God's Judgment upon Lucifer and the Pre-Adamic earth and Universe!
J.Vernon McGee describes the moon’s surface as a good example of this judgment from God in Genesis 1:2.

(From J.Vernon McGee, THRU THE BIBLE, vol 1 Gen-Deut, p13)

The Bible seems to teach in Isaiah 45:18 that God didn’t create the earth in this state originally, and that something happened later to cause the chaotic state.

(See H.A.Ironside, DR. IRONSIDE'S BIBLE, p25)

Could the whole universe, including the earth, have looked like the moon and other planets in our solar system, when God brought judgment upon the original earth?

(See Arthur Pink, GLEANINGS IN GENESIS, p10)

Isaiah 45:18 "For thus saith the LORD that created the heavens; God himself that formed the earth and made it; he hath established it, he created it not in vain, he formed it to be inhabited: I am the LORD; and there is none else."
Gap theorists deduce that if God didn't create the earth in this shape, in vain and without form, something must have happened to cause it to become that way in Genesis 1:2!  It must have been due to Lucifer's fall!

(From Donald Grey Barnhouse, GENESIS, P10)
(W.A.Criswell, Great Doctrines of Bible, vol 7, Angelology, p89)

Are Demons these Fallen Angels?

Are these angels who rebelled with Lucifer on the Pre-Adamic earth now the disembodied spirits we know as 'DEMONS' today?  Many good Bible teachers believe so.

(See Curtis Hutson, DEMONOLOGY OUTLINES, p3A)
(See Lehmann Strauss, DEMONS, YES, BUT THANK GOD FOR GOOD ANGELS, p9)

Some who hold to a 'Gap Theory', such as Clarence Larkin, that these disembodied spirits of demons today were from the race of "Pre-Adamic Men"....I just don't believe there were men on earth before Adam, because the Bible does say Adam was the FIRST man....I believe, like M.R. Dehaan, that Angels were on the earth with Lucifer in the 'Gap' between Genesis 1:1 and 1:2.

This brings us to an important note.  Just because one believes there could have been a gap between Genesis 1:1 and 1:2, that doesn't mean that ALL of the teachings of all Gap Theorists are correct.  I believe this is were opponents of the Gap Theory have erred.  In their writings I have studied, opponents take the wildest speculations of Gap Theorists and lump them all together as 'THE GAP THEORY' and use these to ridicule all aspects of the Gap Theory to show how ridiculous it is.

AN ICE AGE?

If this GAP THEORY be true, than the “ICE AGE” science talks about could have been the result of this “judgment” in Genesis 1:2. Science says there was a catastrophic Ice Age on earth in the past. The Gap Theorists would also say it is possible for the 'ICE AGE' to have occurred after the FLOOD in Noah's Day as Creation Science claims, whereby the Northern and Southern parts of the continents experienced the "ICE AGE" due to the result of the world wide flood, yet area near the equator and Bible lands was still livable for Noah's ancestors.

The Gap Theory allows for the ICE AGE to have happened at either of these times. If there were animals on this pre-Adamic earth, could this ICE-AGE be the result of God's Judgment upon Lucifer and the earth due to Lucifer's rebellion as described in Ezekiel 28 and Isaiah 14?  Could that Ice Age have instantaneously killed the animals on the Pre-Adamic earth that Lucifer ruled?  Scientists have found a huge mammoth frozen to death with undigested food in stomach eaten ½ hours earlier frozen in ice. 

Could this ICE AGE have done that? The Gap Theory would allow the possibility of animals on this Pre-Adamic earth with Lucifer and the Angelic 'civilization', or it would allow that no animals were on the Pre-Adamic earth, just Lucifer and the angels. I personally tend to believe the frozen mammoth walked on the earth during the days of Noah, and the ICE AGE after the flood caused huge glaciers to slide down from the North and suddenly catch a mammoth off guard and entomb it in its icy grave, thoroughly preserving it.  Dr. Hovind has a very interesting theory that an asteroid or meteor hit the earth to cause this extreme temperature that would freeze a mammoth so quickly.

His theory makes sense to me. I'm told many such frozen mammoths are found in Alaska and Russia and the meat is so preserved it is served as Mammoth burgers today!  No kidding.  It is certainly possible that the mammoth and Dinosaurs existed only on the re-created earth with Adam and Eve until the flood too, or they could have existed BOTH on the Pre-Adamic Earth with Lucifer AND on the Re-created earth with Adam and Eve. Either possibility fits the Gap Theory. Footprints of humans have been found along side fossils of dinosaurs, showing that dinosaurs lived since Adam's creation, but many species still exist in parts of the world today!

'WITHOUT FORM AND VOID'

Gap Theorists would say that this phrase found in Genesis 1:2 ‘without form and void’ (TOHU WA BOHU) is found in 3 other instances in the Bible (Isa.34;11; 45:18; Jeremiah.4:23) and it always refers an act of Divine Judgment from God. They would also add that Hebrew wording “the earth WAS without form and void” COULD be read to mean SOMETHING caused this judgment upon the earth, as to read ‘it became that way’.

(See James M.Gray, CHRISTIAN WORKERS' COMMENTARY, P11)

This same Hebrew word is translated as such in Genesis 19:26 where it says “Lot’s wife BECAME a pillar of salt”.

(From E.Schuyler English, PILGRIM STUDY BIBLE, p1 footnotes)

We're not 'Changing' the words of the Bible when we make this distinction!

Now Bible-Believing Christians would protest that one is trying to 'Change' the Words of the King James Bible, just like the New Translations do.....

Now wait just a minute.  That is not what we're doing at all.  The word 'was' can also mean 'became' just like it does today...If I say my wife was angry....it would probably be correct to say she BECAME angry because of something that happened earlier!  Correct?  To say one is 'adding to the Word of God' by doing this is just not correct.

RESTORATION OR RE-CREATION OF EARTH?

When we come to Genesis 1:3-31 we see the ‘RE-CREATION’ or “RESTORATION” of the earth in 6 literal 24-hour days and it is here we have the creation of Adam.

(See William R. Newell, STUDIES IN THE PENTATEUCH, p34)
(See Erich Sauer, THE DAWN OF WORLD REDEMPTION, p35)

The Six Days in this first chapter of Genesis, according to Gap Theorists, do not describe the original creation earth, but a 'reconstruction' with a view to it becoming the habitation of man.

(See J. Sidlow Baxter, EXPLORE THE BOOK, p35)
(See Charles Baker, A DISPENSATIONAL THEOLOGY, p168)

This ‘re-creation’ in Genesis 1:3-31 occurred about 6000 years ago or so, but we don’t know when the heavens and earth were ORIGINALLY created in Genesis 1:1. If this 'gap' between v1 and v2 is correct, there could have been an unknown amount of years between the original creation and this 're-creation' or restoration in Genesis 1:3-31. It could have been millions of years OR just a short amount of time from Lucifer's creation along with the other angels and the fall of Lucifer.

(From G. Campbell Morgan [by Jill Morgan], THIS WAS HIS FAITH, p39)

Opponents would say Gap Theorists are just trying to appease Science and Evolutionists which say the earth is billions of years old.  That is just not true.  If the Gap Theory is true, and there is a gap between Gen. 1:1 & 2, then we just don't know how much times transpired between these verses....and neither does anyone else.

"REPLENISH THE EARTH"

This theory believes this is why God told Adam in Genesis 1:28 to “REPLENISH” the earth. There had to be something on the earth BEFORE in order for Adam and Eve to 'replenish' it, the Gap Theorists would say.

Genesis 1:28 And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it:

The same word 'replenish' is used in Genesis 9:1  AFTER THE FLOOD when God tells NOAH to 'REPLENISH' the earth.

Genesis 9:1 And God blessed Noah and his sons, and said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth.

Now opponents would argue, and I believe correctly so, that 'REPLENISH' originally mean 'to fill' and only changed in meaning to 'refill' in the later 1600's.....just like many words have changed meanings today.  I used to remember when 'cool' meant not not, and 'gay' meant to be happy...These words have changed today.  Replenish seems to be an example of that too.  Another Hebrew word meaning to 'fill again' could have been used, but it was not.  I believe the opponents of the Gap Theory are correct here.

A look at the Strong's Concordance does seem to indicate 'REPLENISH' originally meant 'to fill', but this fact actually is mute and does not prove or disprove either the Gap Theory or Creationism Science.  In both cases, with Adam and with Noah, it means to FILL the earth.  But please notice, With Noah it certainly did mean to fill the earth AGAIN.  Would you agree?  'Replenish' the earth COULD be used to support the Gap Theory as well.

So from this passage we see REPLENISH certainly can mean to 'refill' in the Bible.

WHY ONLY 3 CREATIVE ACTS IN GENESIS CHAPTER ONE?

I personally believe this is one of the strongest arguments the opponents of the Gap Theory have to deal with.  The fact that the word for CREATE is used only 3 times is Genesis 1 is one of the strongest arguments for the GAP THEORY and its belief that Genesis 1 desribes the 'Re-Creation' of the earth in 6 days!

This Gap theory would explain why ONLY 3 creative acts are found in Genesis chapter 1:

1. In verse 1 we see the word ‘bara’  (create out of nothing) used when the heavens and the earth were originally created.

2. It is again used in Gen. 1:21 in the creation of fowl and fish.

3. It is used again in Genesis 1:24-25 when referring to creation of animal and man.  This word 'BARA' is not used in the other days where the sun, moon, stars were ‘made to appear’ on day 4.  They already existed, having been originally created in Genesis 1:1 before Lucifer’s judgment in Gen. 1:2.

(from Arno C. Gaebelein, THE ANNOTATED BIBLE, P16,17)

As Merrill Unger notes,  this is NOT the original creation of light in day 4, but it is 'made to appear' or 'become visible' on day 4.
He notes the original perfect condition had been ruined by the sin of the earth's former angelic inhabitants.

(See Merrill Unger, UNGER'S COMMENTARY ON THE OLD TESTAMENT, VOL 1,  p6)

Opponents to the Gap Theory would argue that the different words for 'create' and 'make' and 'form' are used interchangeably in the first chapter of Genesis and in Isaiah: 43:7 as an example:
Isa.43:7  "Even every one that is called by my name: for I have CREATED him for my glory, I have FORMED him; yea, I have MADE him."

Here we see all 3 Hebrew words used in the making of man, and opponents of the Gap theory would say here we see all 3 words used interchangeably.

Gap Theorists would say, "Not So!" These 3 words have different meanings and all are correctly used in formation of man.  Man's body was indeed MADE (ASAH) out of pre-existing materials (dust), but the LIFE PRINCIPLE itself, as in animal life, can only be 'CREATED' (BARA) by God. God Also 'FORMED' (YATSA) man, that is, shaped and fashioned man's body,as a potter does the clay.

(Above from John Phillips, EXPLORING GENESIS,p38)

In Conclusion, it would seem to be a pretty strong argument for opponents of the Gap Theory to answer.

Why are only 3 'creative' acts found in the first chapter of Genesis IF these are six days of 'ORIGINAL CREATION'Huh?

Having already looked at some arguments used against the Gap Theory, such as the proper meaning of the word REPLENISH;  the INTERCHANGEABLE use of the words CREATE, MADE, AND FORM; let's now look at.....

Some MORE arguments used against the Gap Theory:

JESUS SAYS HE MADE ADAM AND EVE IN THE BEGINNING

Jesus said in Matthew 19:4 “..He which made them in the beginning, made them male and female…”  Some would say this proves there was no gap between Gen.1:1 and 1:2 because Jesus is saying he made Adam and Eve IN THE BEGINNING when he created (bara) heaven and earth.

Good Point.  But could it be that there are different 'beginnings' in the Bible?  Could it be that Jesus was referring to the 'beginning' of this new re-created earth with Adam on it...when he 're-made' the heavens and the earth?

We have several beginnings in the Bible.  We have the beginning the LAW with Moses.  We have the beginning of the Church Age in the book of Acts.  Anyone studying the English Language and its use must admit that there can be different 'beginnings' of different things at different times.  Ah, but opponents would say this says, 'The' Beginning... Well, yes it does, but does that prohibit if from meaning 'the' beginning of this new re-created earth?  I don't think so.

Gap Theorists would reply:  This ‘beginning’ Jesus is talking about here in Matthew refers to the ‘beginning’ of man on earth with Adam and Eve, not necessarily the beginning of heaven and earth in their original creation as in Gen. 1:1.

Moses also said in Exodus 20:13 For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day:

Gap theorists would reply:  Again, here the Lord is talking about the 'reconstruction' or 'making' of heaven and earth, NOT the original creation in Genesis 1:1.

Why Was Lucifer in the Garden of Eden?

Gap Theorists would say their theory explains WHY Lucifer had access to the Garden of Eden in the first place to tempt Adam and Eve, otherwise WHY would Lucifer be there anyway?

(See James Montgomery Boice, GENESIS, Vol 1, p53)

He was originally ruler over this earth and dwelt in Eden according to Ezekiel 28:12,13:

"Son of man, take up a lamentation upon the king of Tyrus, and say unto him, Thus saith the Lord GOD; Thou sealest up the sum, full of wisdom, and perfect in beauty.13 Thou HAST BEEN IN EDEN the garden of God;"

Lucifer is called the 'prince of this world' and the 'god of this Age.  He seems to have been given some authority over the earth at sometime.

(How that Lucifer could be Prince of this world and god of this age while Adam was given dominion is looked at in detail further below)

Death Came by Adam

In 1 Corinthians 15:21 Scripture says that “for since by MAN (Adam) came death, by man (Jesus) came also the resurrection of the dead”.  Some would say there couldn’t have been death of animals on a Pre-Adamic earth on which Lucifer reigned because this verse says death came BY ADAM. 

Romans 5:12 also implies the same thing, that death didn't come until Adam came.
" Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:"

1 Corinthians 15:21  For since by man came death, by man came also the resurrection of the dead.22 For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive.

Gap Theorists reply:  In context, these passages of Scripture are referring to why death came to mankind…because of Adam’s sin.  It doesn’t necessarily say animals, etc. from a Pre-Adamic earth couldn’t have died from an ‘Ice age’ type judgment from God due to Lucifer’s rebellion as he was over this earth and an angelic civilization. (Rev.12:4 and Isa.14:17)

This passage in 1 Corinthians is talking about 'death' coming to 'mankind' because of Adam's sin.

But then again, The Gap Theory doesn't insist animals must have lived and died on a Pre-Adamic earth.  It may have just been Lucifer and angels, which of course, as angels, would never die. Some proponents of the Gap Theory, such as Clarence Larkin and Kenneth Wuest, say that Lucifer was over a Pre-Adamic 'man' or 'humanoid' race that existed on the Pre-Adamic earth, and the the demons today are the disembodied spirits of this race. While that is a possibility, I just don't see that. 1 Corinthians 15:45 declares that Adam was the first man.

(From Clarence Larkin, Dispensational Truth, p24)
(From Kenneth Wuest, Prophetic Light in Present Darkness, p66)

It seems best to agree with the earlier assessment that demons today are the disembodied spirits of the angels who who were on the original earth with Lucifer.

(From M.R. Dehaan, THE DEVIL AND HIS ANGELS, p6-8)

The Bible says God's Creation was GOOD,  so Lucifer could not have fallen yet...

In Genesis 1:31 we read that God looked at His creation and declared it was 'GOOD'. Opponents of the Gap Theory say God couldn't have said that if Lucifer's sin and fall caused judgment upon the earth earlier.

Genesis 1:31 And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day.

Gap Theorist's reply:  When God said 'it was very good' He was referring to the 're-created earth' and IT was good.
Just because Lucifer sinned earlier, that doesn't mean God can't make something 'good' now!

A Good counterpoint the Gap Theorists make is that in these six days of re-creation, He said it was 'good' after each day EXCEPT on day 2 when he separated the firmament and made the atmosphere!  The reason is because this became Satan's domain after his fall and judgment!

Ephesians 2:2  Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience:

Ephesians 6:12   For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

This would seem to imply Lucifer had already fallen and was now in his domain in this atmosphere at that time of Day 2, would it not?

This is a good argument I have yet to hear opponents of the Gap Theory to answer.  "Why did God not say it was 'good' after day 2?

Do the Fossils disprove the Gap Theory?

Six-Day Creationists say the FOSSIL RECORD declares all of the fossils were laid as they are found as a result of Noah's Flood, not because of a Pre-Adamic earth.

Gap Theorists reply:  Fine.  All of the fossils today could be the result of Noah's worldwide Flood..  The 'Gap Theory' doesn't INSIST animals and fossils HAD TO EXIST ON THE PRE-ADAMIC EARTH.  In fact, I do believe the flood gave us the fossils we have today.

The Earth is young, not billions of years old

Six-Day Creationists believe Scientist attests to a YOUNG EARTH of only 6000 to 12,000 years old, not millions of years.

Gap Theorists reply:  This very well could be true.  The Gap Theory only says there must have been some time between Gen.1:1 and Gen.1:2 for Lucifer's rebellion. That's all we're saying. That could have happened in a very short period of time from his creation.  It could have been only few months or years, or a much longer period.  The Gap Theory doesn't insist on an earth millions of years old.  Dinosaurs, for example, could have existed in Noah's Day, and on a Pre-Adamic earth, too.  The Gap Theory allows for either.  I tend to personally believe they lived during Noah's Day and after the flood many soon became extinct, but many still exist today, especially in the oceans!  Many have been discovered in the past 100 years, but evolutionists have done a good job of not letting it be advertised very much...because they feel that would harm their precious EVOLUTION THEORY...

The Gap Theory is held to accommodate the evolutionist's view of a EARTH billions of years old and Its Geological Strata

Six-Day Creationists claim Gap Theorists hold to their view to appease evolutionists who say dinosaurs and the earth and Geologic strata are millions of years old.

Gap Theorists reply:  Not so.  Perhaps some of the earlier proponents of the view such Thomas Chalmers in the late 1800's and Scofield in the early 1900's thought their theory would allow for the long period of time that Science seemed to teach in that day, but that wasn't their primary reason to holding to the Gap Theory.  Just like Gap Theorists today, They just Believed it best lines up with Scripture and Science.

I Believe the whole GEOLOGIC COLUMN and STRATA as taught in many Science Books is a BIG HOAX!

DOESN'T CARBON DATING TEACH THAT THE EARTH IS MILLIONS Of YEARS OLD?

No.  Carbon Dating is a bunch of bologna. It has been proven to an unreliable as a 3 dollar bill.  Carbon Dating has been done on freshly killed animals has shown them to be millions of years old!

Another argument I have heard against the Gap Theory is...

WAS SATAN ALREADY THE 'GOD OF THIS WORLD' (2 Corinthians 4:4) WHEN GOD GAVE ADAM DOMINION (GENESIS 1:26-28) OVER THE EARTH?

2nd Corinthians 4:4 says, "In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them."

Genesis 1:28-30 says, "And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. 29 And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat. 30 And to every beast of the earth, and to every fowl of the air, and to every thing that creepeth upon the earth, wherein there is life, I have given every green herb for meat: and it was so."

Now look very closely at these verses and what they are saying and what they are not saying....

It says Adam was to have 'dominion' over the animals, fish, and birds....it never says to have 'dominion' over the earth....
Adam is to 'subdue' the earth....but it does not say have 'dominion' over the earth...

Now if I wanted to be unkind, I could reply, "Who is 'adding' to the Word of God now?"    This is a charge often leveled at 'Gap Theorists.

The 'Gap Theory' is only of RECENT ORIGIN

Opponents of the Gap Theory say it is only a recent theory in the past couple of hundred years and was not held by the early church.
Answer:  This is just not true either.  As James Montgomery Boice notes, "Arthur C. Custance, who has written an excellent book in the theory's defense, traces it to the certain early Jewish writers,...who even put a 'rebhia' mark in the Masoretic text of the Old Testament to let the reader know there is a break in the narrative between v1 and v 2..

....some of the church fathers REFER to the Gap Theory and even referred to in some ancient Sumerian and Babylonian documents, according to Boice, a very scholarly and reliable writer and Bible Teacher.  He adds that It crops up in the middle ages as well.  It was in Scotland at the beginning of the last century, through the work of the capable pastor and writer Thomas Chalmers, that the idea gained real coherence and visibility....The single most effective teacher of this view was C.I. Scofield, who included it in his notes on Genesis in the astonishingly popular Scofield Reference Bible.  From there it became the almost unquestioned view of Fundamentalism..."

(See James Montgomery Boice, GENESIS, Vol. 1, p50,51)

To say that the Gap Theory was invented in 1814 is just not true.  That is just an incorrect statement.

Gap Theorists are ADDING to the Word of God!

Opponents of the Gap Theory claim that because the good men listed above in the annotations who hold to forms of a 'Gap Theory' and believe there could have been a 'GAP' of time between Genesis 1:1 and Genesis 1:2....that they are 'adding to the Word of God'!!
....a serious charge that will result is dire consequences to that Believer when we get to heaven!

Revelation 22:18,19  "For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:19 And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book."

Pretty serious charges against good men of God who simply have a different interpretation of a verse in Genesis, are they not?
Are you telling me that because men like M.R. Dehaan and the others mentioned above are 'adding to the Word of God' simply because they believe Lucifer could have fallen between Gen. 1:1,2!

One opponent of the Gap Theory actually mocks anyone who would offer the Gap Theory as at least a possibility to at least consider with a cartoon in which a student says,

"Professor, Why Can't I Just Believe The Bible?"

(From Ken Ham's CLOSING THE GAP, p1 from www.icr.org )

Another well-respected opponent of the Gap Theory argues,

DOES EVERYONE WHO READS THE BIBLE NEED SOME 'GURU' TO TELL THEM WHAT THE BIBLE SAY?

Well, to be truthful, I really don't understand that statement.  To imply that the good men above can not simply 'take the Bible' for what it says and must have a 'GURU' to explain it to them....it just not a fair....or a kind statement.   To imply that these men above needed a 'GURU' to come their well-studied conclusion....is unfortunate.

I believe this attitude is actually doing  more discredit to those who oppose the Gap Theory than they realize.  To imply those who hold to a 'gap' between Gen.1:1,2 are not Bible believers is ludicrous.

THE GAP THEORY DESTROYS THE WORK OF THE CROSS

This opponent of the Gap Theory even goes on to say " ..the gap theory actually destroys the foundation work of the cross..." (p2, Closing the Gap)  Unbelievable.

Remember The Gap Theory does not insist on a race of people on a Pre-Adamic earth who died..
YOU SEE, see here is an example where an opponent of the Gap Theory, takes a rare suggestion of Larkin and Wuest that a race of men might have lived on a Pre-Adam earth, and they use this to discredit the whole theory!

GAP THEORISTS ARE JUST TOO PROUD TO ADMIT THEY ARE WRONG

A good man told me he knew preachers who were just too proud to admit the Gap Theory was wrong because they hate to admit they had been wrong.

Well that is probably true of preachers in a lot of cases.  But I can honestly say in my case, if someone could convince that the GAP THEORY (as presented in this paper) is wrong and not Scriptural, I would change my view right now.  The fact is, I have looked at every argument against it.  I have used my power of deduction and reasoning from my days at Purdue University, and I, for one, just have found holes in every argument used by the opponents of the Gap Theory.  I have been surprised by the arrogance of some of the folks who disagree with me.  I have seen them almost get mad when I present this paper to them.  I think that is sad.  Good people can disagree and you don't have to slander and belittle them and accuse them of not being 'Bible Believers'!

Good people are on both sides of this controversial issue, and Christians can disagree on this matter, but to make it a matter of fellowship or even slanderous accusation is sad, and we need to be careful to refrain from that.  Both sides agree that God was the one Creating and we did not evolve from some amoeba after a BIG BANG sometime in the distant past!  Both of these views agree the Theory of Organic Evolution as taught in Public Schools is WRONG!  BOTH of these views would say that 'Theistic Evolution' is also wrong.  One side simply believes Lucifer could have fallen between Genesis 1:1 and 1:2, and the other does not.  The Bible says we ought to be ready to give an answer to every man....and anyone who can show where we are looking at this wrong, we would certainly be willing to listen to what you have to present.

In Conclusion

The 'Gap Theory' as described above is the most logical interpretation according to the Bible. We do not take this position just to 'fit' science, we just believe it makes the most sense! Now that is not saying we hold to all of the 'Gap theories' around either...

We have studied both sides of the issue for years and have weighed the Creation Science arguments and they just don't add up to disprove the 'Gap Theory' in our minds.

As James Montgomery Boice says on page 53 of his commentary of Genesis,
"the arguments of the Gap Theory 'have not been taken seriously enough by those who oppose the theory".
We would agree.

Report Spam   Logged
RickStudy

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: October 03, 2015, 05:51:09 am »

Actually the word day cannot mean more than one thing once it is used in the grammatical setting it is placed in. Day in the Genesis account is 1 literal 24 hour period. This is further backed up by Exo 20:11 which was written by the Lords very finger. Unless you want to discard what he wrote himself...

2Ti 4:3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;

Gap theory is a way for Satan to undermine the Bible by using evolution and science so called. Look at how they actually date things scientifically and you will easily see the ruse that they are using. NO Gap or God is a liar.

You are injecting something into my remark that wasn`t there. Not surprising since you cannot prove your position. Men do not know how long a creation day was. It may have been 24 hours, I have doubts about that but it`s a possibility. That aspect isn`t important because it doesn`t prove or disprove the time gap.

As for the rest of your comment. That is practically a hysterical response to an issue. The existence of a time gap would not make God a liar. There are many things the Bible doesn`t reveal to us, In many cases it only gives us a fragment of information leaving the rest concealed, hidden from us. That`s why Paul compares this life to looking through smokey glass. It`s unfortunate that some have used the gap theory and perverted it in an attempt to reconcile the Bible with evolution and false science. You are preaching to the choir to me on that one. But it is almost as bad when religeous creed prevents people from considering scriptures objectively and openly. I have met many religeous people who are trusting in their creed for their truth instead of trusting in the Spirit of God for it.
Report Spam   Logged
Mark
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: October 03, 2015, 06:26:02 am »

You are injecting something into my remark that wasn`t there. Not surprising since you cannot prove your position. Men do not know how long a creation day was. It may have been 24 hours, I have doubts about that but it`s a possibility. That aspect isn`t important because it doesn`t prove or disprove the time gap.

As for the rest of your comment. That is practically a hysterical response to an issue. The existence of a time gap would not make God a liar. There are many things the Bible doesn`t reveal to us, In many cases it only gives us a fragment of information leaving the rest concealed, hidden from us. That`s why Paul compares this life to looking through smokey glass. It`s unfortunate that some have used the gap theory and perverted it in an attempt to reconcile the Bible with evolution and false science. You are preaching to the choir to me on that one. But it is almost as bad when religeous creed prevents people from considering scriptures objectively and openly. I have met many religeous people who are trusting in their creed for their truth instead of trusting in the Spirit of God for it.

I didnt inject anything, only responded to what you said. I easily proved my position, see Exo 20:11 to which you said nothing about. God himself wrote that on a stone tablet. It cannot be refuted. All of creation was created in 6 24 hour days with God resting on the seventh. I dont see the hysterical response you are talking about unless i look toward your response. You are trying to hold on to an idea that does not line up with scripture or history or tradition. When you can refute Exo 20:11 let me know.

Also religious people are not Christian. A religious person could be a hindu, a catholic a new ager. A Christian is someone who doesn't go into religion but has a personal relationship with Jesus.  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

RickStudy

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: October 03, 2015, 07:25:09 am »

I didnt inject anything, only responded to what you said. I easily proved my position, see Exo 20:11 to which you said nothing about. God himself wrote that on a stone tablet. It cannot be refuted. All of creation was created in 6 24 hour days with God resting on the seventh. I dont see the hysterical response you are talking about unless i look toward your response. You are trying to hold on to an idea that does not line up with scripture or history or tradition. When you can refute Exo 20:11 let me know.

Also religious people are not Christian. A religious person could be a hindu, a catholic a new ager. A Christian is someone who doesn't go into religion but has a personal relationship with Jesus.  Smiley

You injected your assertion that I said the word day can mean different lengths of time in the same passage ( and u calls me a game player   Roll Eyes )  No where in the bible does it clarify what sort of day the 6 creation days were so no, you haven`t proved a thing. I didn`t say anything about Exo 20:11 because Exo 20:11 doesn`t answer the riddle. It is just the explaination for the existence of the sabbath. The Millenum rule of Christ is a Sabbath in which the earth will rest for 1000 years. It`s symbolic of the creation week just as the Law Sabbath is. Doesn`t prove how long a creation day is anymore then Exo 20 does.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 07:27:04 am by RickStudy » Report Spam   Logged
Mark
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: October 03, 2015, 07:49:50 am »

You injected your assertion that I said the word day can mean different lengths of time in the same passage ( and u calls me a game player   Roll Eyes )

You did say that.  Huh

The word day can mean one of several things in scripture.

In Hebrew the words are determined by the grammar that it is used in. In Genesis and Exo it is a 24 hour period. The grammar does not allow any other use.

No where in the bible does it clarify what sort of day the 6 creation days were so no, you haven`t proved a thing.

Yes it does Exo 20:11

Exo 20:11 For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

I didn`t say anything about Exo 20:11 because Exo 20:11 doesn`t answer the riddle. It is just the explaination for the existence of the sabbath. The Millenum rule of Christ is a Sabbath in which the earth will rest for 1000 years. It`s symbolic of the creation week just as the Law Sabbath is. Doesn`t prove how long a creation day is anymore then Exo 20 does.

Exo 20:11 has a lot more than explaining the sabbath. But lets go with that. The people gathered their were the Hebrews recently from Egypt. They knew what a 7 day work week was, and they knew that the sabbath was on the 7th day of that week. 7 literaly 24 hour days. They didnt need some kind of esoteric interpretation. 7 days of creation. 7 24 hour days. Sorry that doesnt fit in with your mystery belief of something that never happened, or your apparent belief that death came before sin.
Report Spam   Logged

RickStudy

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: October 03, 2015, 08:08:52 am »

My comments in ( )

You did say that.  Huh

( I said the word has multiple meanings which it does, I did not say it could mean more then one thing at the same time, you are building a strawman here.)

In Hebrew the words are determined by the grammar that it is used in. In Genesis and Exo it is a 24 hour period. The grammar does not allow any other use.

( Yes it does)

Exo 20:11 For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

Exo 20:11 has a lot more than explaining the sabbath. But lets go with that. The people gathered their were the Hebrews recently from Egypt. They knew what a 7 day work week was, and they knew that the sabbath was on the 7th day of that week. 7 literaly 24 hour days. They didnt need some kind of esoteric interpretation.

( Apparently, Moses thought that they did.)

7 days of creation. 7 24 hour days. Sorry that doesnt fit in with your mystery belief of something that never happened,

( Strawman. A 24 hour day is earth time. On Gods calender a day is 1000 earth years. Your example proves nothing. Another example is found in the book of Hebrews. The Sabbath day in Hebrews has no time constraint. By your logic I could use that example and claim the 6 day creation took billions of years. Regardless a 6 day creation has no impact on a gap theory. It does not matter for purposes of gap vs no gap. I dunno why you think it`s a smoking gun er somethin)

or your apparent belief that death came before sin.

( I have no idea what you mean.)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 08:29:55 am by RickStudy » Report Spam   Logged
Mark
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: October 03, 2015, 09:53:32 am »

On Gods calender a day is 1000 earth years.

Cheesy Cheesy you really need to quite listening to Tom Horn ans Steve Quayle.  Cheesy Cheesy

2Pe 3:8 But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.
2Pe 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

really. read what that is saying. God does not live within a time space continuum. He lives outside of our time space.  Cheesy That whole passage 2 peter 3 is about how long suffering the Lord is.  Not about actual time. If God was fixed in a time period he would not an all powerful entity, but something that lives within his creation. You cannot use 2 peter 2 as a determining factor for age of anything.
Report Spam   Logged

Mark
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: October 03, 2015, 09:54:33 am »

also the only one with a straw man here is you, as you are violating the whole Bible with your push for evolution. please stop. You are trying to discredit the Bible and i will not stand for it.
Report Spam   Logged

Mark
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: October 03, 2015, 09:57:00 am »

If there is a gap how did all the plants survive with the sun? I mean for millions of years the trees grew with no sun?  Cheesy Also how did death get BEFORE Sin?
Report Spam   Logged

RickStudy

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: October 03, 2015, 01:29:32 pm »

also the only one with a straw man here is you, as you are violating the whole Bible with your push for evolution. please stop. You are trying to discredit the Bible and i will not stand for it.

The only thing I might discredit are some of your interpretations of the Bible.I have never pushed for evolution and have rejected it from my youth. That is a false accusation and a rude attempt to offend me that will not work. You really shouldn`t do such things to other Christians.
Report Spam   Logged
RickStudy

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: October 03, 2015, 01:47:01 pm »

If there is a gap how did all the plants survive with the sun? I mean for millions of years the trees grew with no sun?  Cheesy Also how did death get BEFORE Sin?

First of all lest I be falsely accused once again, I believe it is probably a young earth. I have grave doubts that it is millions of years old. I believe created rocks are not nearly as old as they appear.
To answer your question. Have you never read revelation 21:23-24 ?   Have you ever read Genesis chapter 1?

The sun wasn`t created until the fourth day but the light was given on the first. Pre Genesis 1:2 worlds that existed recieved their light from God Himself just as the new earth will in eternity.
Stars are not necessary for there to be light and even in the six day creation life and the plants were created before the sun was.

Also, clarify what you mean by "death get before sin" I dunno what that means.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 01:51:17 pm by RickStudy » Report Spam   Logged
RickStudy

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: October 03, 2015, 02:01:09 pm »

Cheesy Cheesy you really need to quite listening to Tom Horn ans Steve Quayle.  Cheesy Cheesy

2Pe 3:8 But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.
2Pe 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

really. read what that is saying. God does not live within a time space continuum. He lives outside of our time space.  Cheesy That whole passage 2 peter 3 is about how long suffering the Lord is.  Not about actual time. If God was fixed in a time period he would not an all powerful entity, but something that lives within his creation. You cannot use 2 peter 2 as a determining factor for age of anything.

In 2 Peter 3, Peter is quoting words spoken by God himself in the Old Testament. God said one of his days is 1000 earth years, Peter just quoted Him. Per what God said about it, the 24 hour day is based on Gods day but one of our days is but a very tiny fraction of one of Gods days. 6 of God`s days = exactly 6000 earth years. FYI a true earth year = 360 days. Unfortunately the flood threw the earth off sync just a bit.

At any rate you are disputing something God stated as a fact.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 02:03:18 pm by RickStudy » Report Spam   Logged
Mark
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: October 03, 2015, 02:17:19 pm »

Genesis 1:2 worlds

any proof to that what so ever?

Also, clarify what you mean by "death get before sin" I dunno what that means

Rom 5:12 Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:

no death until Adam sinned. nothing that was alive died. nothing.
Report Spam   Logged

Mark
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: October 03, 2015, 02:20:32 pm »

In 2 Peter 3, Peter is quoting words spoken by God himself in the Old Testament. God said one of his days is 1000 earth years, Peter just quoted Him. Per what God said about it, the 24 hour day is based on Gods day but one of our days is but a very tiny fraction of one of Gods days. 6 of God`s days = exactly 6000 earth years. FYI a true earth year = 360 days. Unfortunately the flood threw the earth off sync just a bit.

At any rate you are disputing something God stated as a fact.

and where did he say it as fact?

Psa 90:4 For a thousand years in thy sight are but as yesterday when it is past, and as a watch in the night.

Still means time is meaningless to the Lord.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: