End Times and Current Events
April 19, 2024, 04:02:16 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome To End Times and Current Events.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

"...but if thou mayest be made free..."

Shoutbox
March 27, 2024, 12:55:24 pm Mark says: Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked  When Hamas spokesman Abu Ubaida began a speech marking the 100th day of the war in Gaza, one confounding yet eye-opening proclamation escaped the headlines. Listing the motives for the Palestinian militant group's Oct. 7 massacre in Israel, he accused Jews of "bringing red cows" to the Holy Land.
December 31, 2022, 10:08:58 am NilsFor1611 says: blessings
August 08, 2018, 02:38:10 am suzytr says: Hello, any good churches in the Sacto, CA area, also looking in Reno NV, thanks in advance and God Bless you Smiley
January 29, 2018, 01:21:57 am Christian40 says: It will be interesting to see what happens this year Israel being 70 years as a modern nation may 14 2018
October 17, 2017, 01:25:20 am Christian40 says: It is good to type Mark is here again!  Smiley
October 16, 2017, 03:28:18 am Christian40 says: anyone else thinking that time is accelerating now? it seems im doing days in shorter time now is time being affected in some way?
September 24, 2017, 10:45:16 pm Psalm 51:17 says: The specific rule pertaining to the national anthem is found on pages A62-63 of the league rulebook. It states: “The National Anthem must be played prior to every NFL game, and all players must be on the sideline for the National Anthem. “During the National Anthem, players on the field and bench area should stand at attention, face the flag, hold helmets in their left hand, and refrain from talking. The home team should ensure that the American flag is in good condition. It should be pointed out to players and coaches that we continue to be judged by the public in this area of respect for the flag and our country. Failure to be on the field by the start of the National Anthem may result in discipline, such as fines, suspensions, and/or the forfeiture of draft choice(s) for violations of the above, including first offenses.”
September 20, 2017, 04:32:32 am Christian40 says: "The most popular Hepatitis B vaccine is nothing short of a witch’s brew including aluminum, formaldehyde, yeast, amino acids, and soy. Aluminum is a known neurotoxin that destroys cellular metabolism and function. Hundreds of studies link to the ravaging effects of aluminum. The other proteins and formaldehyde serve to activate the immune system and open up the blood-brain barrier. This is NOT a good thing."
http://www.naturalnews.com/2017-08-11-new-fda-approved-hepatitis-b-vaccine-found-to-increase-heart-attack-risk-by-700.html
September 19, 2017, 03:59:21 am Christian40 says: bbc international did a video about there street preaching they are good witnesses
September 14, 2017, 08:06:04 am Psalm 51:17 says: bro Mark Hunter on YT has some good, edifying stuff too.
View Shout History
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "...but if thou mayest be made free..."  (Read 6452 times)
Kilika
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2012, 04:53:16 pm »

Again, like I said in another thread, I don't want to give away spoilers from his sermon so you can listen to it, but I have one question - when Paul was an Apostle, did he work another profession? Bryan pointed out the passages where Paul talked about how he laboured being that he himself worked another profession. However, whenever I read those passages, it seems like Paul was talking about labouring in the GOSPEL(preaching it, living by it, etc). Which was the case?

Okay, so this is why I asked if his sermon was in text yet, because i want to reply to it. Much easier and I think more in order to reply in text. This way both sides are readable. Anyway...(no, I did not contact him or request anything)

I have the same impression from reading those verses too BA. All a person has to do is a word search on work in the New Testament. The verses are clearly, to me, talking about the work of an evangalist, spreading the gospel. THAT is the work I believe scripture calls us all to do.

And if a person wants to say, just like they did in scripture, that if they don't have a job, what are they to do about food and clothing, etc, all I say is look at what Jesus told them.

Now, some say that was only directed at the disciples then, which in part is what Brian Denlinger does. I disagree. That text is for us too, BUT, what Brian didn't talk about was the difference between looking on the outward appearence, being carnal, versus being spiritual, and understanding the gospel spiritually, so as a result he's interpretating the verses carnally, literally. "God is a spirit..."

Jesus tells us to follow Him. Jesus didn't hold a job! He preached the gospel to His last breadth in the flesh. Thank you Jesus!

Brian also didn't address, I don't think, though I didn't listen to but 3/4 of it, the verses where it talks about...

17   But as God hath distributed to every man, as the Lord hath called every one, so let him walk. And so ordain I in all churches. 
18   Is any man called being circumcised? let him not become uncircumcised. Is any called in uncircumcision? let him not be circumcised. 
19   Circumcision is nothing, and uncircumcision is nothing, but the keeping of the commandments of God. 
20   Let every man abide in the same calling wherein he was called. 
21   Art thou called [being] a servant? care not for it: but if thou mayest be made free, use [it] rather. 
22   For he that is called in the Lord, [being] a servant, is the Lord's freeman: likewise also he that is called, [being] free, is Christ's servant. 
23   Ye are bought with a price; be not ye the servants of men. 
24   Brethren, let every man, wherein he is called, therein abide with God. 
1 Corinthians 7:17-24 (KJB)

What is that it says? "If thou mayest be made free, use it rather"? Really? That seems to discount Brian's position. "Use" is far from "required".

This is addressing those who come to this knowledge in scripture when they happen to be a servant, in effect, when they are employed. Some parts obviously don't apply as they are already a servant when they learn of the doctrine, so what do they do?

Scripture tells us they can either be content and work as to the Lord, not with eyeservice, OR they can leave the job and do the work of an evangalist, which is what we are ALL called to do. But nowhere do I see scripture telling us to enter bondage and servatude, to anybody but Jesus Christ, and with Christ, we are free, not in bondage, because we "walk by faith, and not by sight".

What people are overlooking is this; who said they must have a car, a mortgage, a bank account, schools, cell phones, cable tv, braces on the teeth, etc? Who said that? MAN. Not God.

What part do they not understand about this...

"So likewise, whosoever he be of you that forsaketh not all that he hath, he cannot be my disciple." Luke 14:33 (KJB)

Paul is mentioned dwelling with tentmakers, because it says they were of the same craft...

1   After these things Paul departed from Athens, and came to Corinth; 
2   And found a certain Jew named Aquila, born in Pontus, lately come from Italy, with his wife Priscilla; (because that Claudius had commanded all Jews to depart from Rome:) and came unto them. 
3   And because he was of the same craft, he abode with them, and wrought: for by their occupation they were tentmakers. 
4   And he reasoned in the synagogue every sabbath, and persuaded the Jews and the Greeks. 
5   And when Silas and Timotheus were come from Macedonia, Paul was pressed in the spirit, and testified to the Jews [that] Jesus [was] Christ. 
6   And when they opposed themselves, and blasphemed, he shook [his] raiment, and said unto them, Your blood [be] upon your own heads; I [am] clean: from henceforth I will go unto the Gentiles. 
7   And he departed thence, and entered into a certain [man's] house, named Justus, [one] that worshipped God, whose house joined hard to the synagogue.
Acts 18:1-7 (KJB)

Now what people need to do is pay attention to what Paul does. It does say they were of the same crafy, and that is the reason given for him staying with them. What it was is that the couple are tentmakers, and since Paul knew tentmaking, he stayed with them and helped them with their work. But later we see Paul leaves over a dispute. So did Paul quit his job? Nope, I don't think so. I believe he was simply helping a brother and sister in his journey, who happen to be tentmakers. But he moved on. Outside of this mention, I don't any other reference to Paul working a job of any type once a disciple, other than the work of the ministry.

The real work that if you don't do, you won't eat, is following the Word. Literally taking in the Bread of Life. Our daily bread. THAT is what we eat and drink and are clothed with; the Word of God.

While a person is "in the world", yes, they must do something to survive in that world because they are living by the law then, and not faith. Just look to the Old Testament for guidelines how to be a servant to another man.

Personally I believe "the just shall live by faith"...

"But watch thou in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, make full proof of thy ministry." 2 Timothy 4:5 (KJB)

So is Brian going to say that verse is only Paul talking to Timothy, but doesn't apply to the rest of us? To be consistant, it seems as though that is what he would have to say.

25   But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth [therein], he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed. 
26   If any man among you seem to be religious, and bridleth not his tongue, but deceiveth his own heart, this man's religion [is] vain. 
27   Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, [and] to keep himself unspotted from the world. 
James 1:25-27 (KJB)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 04:57:36 pm by Kilika » Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: