End Times and Current Events
March 28, 2024, 12:14:48 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: "Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me." John 5:39 (KJB)

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Should a Christian play Chess, or Checkes, or games such as these?

Shoutbox
March 27, 2024, 12:55:24 pm Mark says: Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked  When Hamas spokesman Abu Ubaida began a speech marking the 100th day of the war in Gaza, one confounding yet eye-opening proclamation escaped the headlines. Listing the motives for the Palestinian militant group's Oct. 7 massacre in Israel, he accused Jews of "bringing red cows" to the Holy Land.
December 31, 2022, 10:08:58 am NilsFor1611 says: blessings
August 08, 2018, 02:38:10 am suzytr says: Hello, any good churches in the Sacto, CA area, also looking in Reno NV, thanks in advance and God Bless you Smiley
January 29, 2018, 01:21:57 am Christian40 says: It will be interesting to see what happens this year Israel being 70 years as a modern nation may 14 2018
October 17, 2017, 01:25:20 am Christian40 says: It is good to type Mark is here again!  Smiley
October 16, 2017, 03:28:18 am Christian40 says: anyone else thinking that time is accelerating now? it seems im doing days in shorter time now is time being affected in some way?
September 24, 2017, 10:45:16 pm Psalm 51:17 says: The specific rule pertaining to the national anthem is found on pages A62-63 of the league rulebook. It states: “The National Anthem must be played prior to every NFL game, and all players must be on the sideline for the National Anthem. “During the National Anthem, players on the field and bench area should stand at attention, face the flag, hold helmets in their left hand, and refrain from talking. The home team should ensure that the American flag is in good condition. It should be pointed out to players and coaches that we continue to be judged by the public in this area of respect for the flag and our country. Failure to be on the field by the start of the National Anthem may result in discipline, such as fines, suspensions, and/or the forfeiture of draft choice(s) for violations of the above, including first offenses.”
September 20, 2017, 04:32:32 am Christian40 says: "The most popular Hepatitis B vaccine is nothing short of a witch’s brew including aluminum, formaldehyde, yeast, amino acids, and soy. Aluminum is a known neurotoxin that destroys cellular metabolism and function. Hundreds of studies link to the ravaging effects of aluminum. The other proteins and formaldehyde serve to activate the immune system and open up the blood-brain barrier. This is NOT a good thing."
http://www.naturalnews.com/2017-08-11-new-fda-approved-hepatitis-b-vaccine-found-to-increase-heart-attack-risk-by-700.html
September 19, 2017, 03:59:21 am Christian40 says: bbc international did a video about there street preaching they are good witnesses
September 14, 2017, 08:06:04 am Psalm 51:17 says: bro Mark Hunter on YT has some good, edifying stuff too.
View Shout History
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Should a Christian play Chess, or Checkes, or games such as these?  (Read 4562 times)
William
« on: June 18, 2011, 06:10:31 pm »

I have been wondering about this, because I was thinking of buying a chess set for something extra to do when I'm bored around the house.

However doing some research I found out the game came from "India" back in 600 A.D. or something I think. Just type in "History of Chess" in your search bar, and go to Wikipedia on it. After reading a little it makes me wonder about it, and whether its something Christians should be playing.

Then I found this article on the web:
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Never mind the well-addressed question Should a Christian play dungeons and dragons? A better question would be:

Should Christians play chess?

It has an obvious theme, in the traditional White against Black sides, good versus evil. The symbology of the good guys is obvious:

King - Secular Leader, but with the Church close on his side (King's Bishop)

Queen - All the King's secular forces combined into a powerful tool of his administration. Starts at his side, to show His dominance. Straight and Diagonal movement shows the ability to apply to all problems and situations.

Bishop - liaison between Man and God, the administration of the House of the Lord on Earth. Keeps to one color, to show that the church has limitations in its applicability, BUT there are TWO Bishops, one for the Church, one for the Congregation, and between the two of them, they can get anywhere. Shows the transparent MYTH of Separation of Church and State.

Knight - The Special Forces, able to attack from unseen angles, and retreat across obstacles. The 90-degree component seen by many to symbolize the duality of God's Might and Man's Will.

Rook - Portrayed in most modern sets as a castle, examination of early structures leads many to conclude it is actually a church, historically. Either way usually exemplifies a building made of Stone, and "On this stone I shall build a church."

Pawn - All the multitudes of Man, serving God best by stepping blindly forward.

Of course, the Black side, the Evil, has the same components. Considering that the Dark One has his followers and his Bishops, we know what God has stated about False Religions: "As we said before, so say I now again, if any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed."

This makes it seem that someone playing chess, especially on the White Side, is acting out a morality play, attacking the forces of Darkness and crushing them under his heel. There lies the trick that ensnares millions of innocent souls every year.

Evil has, mathematically, as much of a chance to win as Good. The only restriction between the colors is that White moves first. In reality, The Good side should have more power than the evil, for the Lord has said, regarding HIS believers: "Behold, I give unto you power to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy: and nothing shall by any means hurt you." Unfortunately, the 'powers' given to the individual units of a chess set are evenly matched by their direct opponents.

Anther problem is the power of the Queen. She is clearly portrayed as the King's wife, but granted greater power and maneuverability. She travels and works independently of the King, if nominally at his 'bidding.' This directly conflicts with MANY biblical verses, to wit:

"...and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee."
    "But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God."
    "Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience as also saith the law. And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church."
    "Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body. Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in every thing."
    "Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as it is fit in the Lord."
    "Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection. But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence. For Adam was first formed, then Eve. And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression. Notwithstanding she shall be saved in childbearing."
    "Likewise, ye wives, be in subjection to your own husbands."

A further heresy implicit in the play of Chess, is that of returning lost souls to play. If a simple pawn makes it unmolested to the final rank of the enemy's side, he can be transmuted to any other piece of the game. In this manner, lost pieces can be regained. The bible clearly shows that there is only one event of importance following an individual's death, and that is the judgement. After that, the soul is sent Heavenwards or dropped into the Lake of Fire. Reincarnation is the devil's idea.

In addition to problems with the rules, certain conventions of game play are offensive to any True Christian that has seen the Truth. It is possible, if care is not taken, to move the Knight in such a manner that the outline of a Pentagram is described on the board, an incontrovertible sign of Satan.

Most frighteningly, throughout most of the game, the mechanism of capturing a piece results in removal of the lost piece. In the final move, of EVERY chess game, the King is not captured. Instead, the losing player lays his King down on the board, mimicking a ritualistic HUMAN SACRIFICE!

Does it still sound like a simple 'Game?'

For Further Consideration:

Chess is so addictive that prisoners and isolated individuals have been known to carve their own sets out of random materials at hand.

The forces of Darkness have managed to get introductory chess books into almost EVERY school library in the entire country! Our children are ENCOURAGED to take up the Devil's Pastime! They often play it in pairs, unsupervised by any responsible adults.

Unlike more traditional games, like Monopoly or Yukon Solitaire, chess does not stop at a mere Winner/Loser concept. Implicit in each game of chess, at least ONE person HAS to die before the game can be over.

And finally, in various times and places, people have been known to dress up in costumes and actually 'Act Out' a chess game! A game that encourages people to see themselves as carved and painted pieces of wood deserves at least a little more scrutiny!

At the best, it's origins are lost in pagan antiquity, and not easily subjected to objective Christian scrutiny for unbiased analysis.

At the worst, Satan eased it into place in anticipation of the reaction to AD&D. Think of that the next time you tell you children "Why don't you play chess, instead?"
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Now I can see how he points out the problems of it well according to the scriptures, and that its probably not something a Christian should partake in, however at the same time I feel its a bit over the top in some of the things he says about. I always thought of it as a harmless game, and nothing more. It's not like it some occultic object like the "Ouija Board" or something.

What are your thoughts on this....Dok...Kalika....anyone??

I can't think of how the game would really impact our walk with Christ, unless we got crazy with it and started going to tournaments and putting all of our attention into it or something, but I was wondering what you all might have to say about it...because it says..."In the word of two or three witnesses shall every word be established." [Paraphrasing]

And were also under Grace, and not under the Law....

Thanks for your thoughts everyone.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

PeanutGallery

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2011, 07:02:08 pm »

Mat_10:16  Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves: be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves.
----------------------------------------
Knowing the rules of the game, may offer a door of opportunity to build a relationship, and open door to discuss spiritual things.
Unless you use that as an excuse to get hooked on chess; then it wouldn't count.
I remember someone told me that cards were un-christian.
The other issue is legalism; is it to honor God, or is to win points with God?
Report Spam   Logged
Christian40
Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2011, 09:33:43 pm »

I have heard that chess goes back to King Solomon, he invented it.  Huh Apart from Jesus he was one of the wisest men that have ever lived. Chess was for a long time a game for kings and queens in palaces. Anyway i dont know exactly who invented the game, but it is a very interesting game indeed.

You could use chess and checkers to meet people and then you could witness to them. I know there are chess clubs and games clubs and that and there are opportunities there, Jesus did say go and preach the Gospel to everyone.

I guess if you played chess or checkers all the time you would waste alot of time. It is about priorities, there is alot of work out there to be done by Jesus's servants so we have to balance our time wisely.
Report Spam   Logged
Kilika
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 08:44:44 am »

And were also under Grace, and not under the Law....

Yes. And chess, as well as any other "game of chance or challenge", is all about law, an eye for an eye. It's ultimately based on the alledged "struggle" between good and evil. But the truth is, there is no struggle, it's just God's will be done, while the game gives the player the illusion of a chance at victory over the enemy if the player is "better" at meeting the rules of the game. It glorifies the player and not God, though a player may be praising God while playing. That techincally is a contradiction. We are to have mercy, like Jesus has for us, not force the enemy to fall on his sword when faced with no way out.

The basis of the game chess is of one kingdom against the another. And it definately is a ritual of sorts such as the the king being knocked over, which is not technically a sacrifice, but a surrender, in effect a suicide by the defeated king. It signifies literally falling on your own sword in concession to the victor. It is a ripoff of the original "story" of God and Satan, but being an invention of man, man makes the rules to give either side a chance of victory, but the truth is, there is only one way to victory; Jesus Christ. "I am the way..."

Ultimately, I believe scripture is telling us that while games are like an idol, being nothing, it isn't edifying or expedient, and could be a stumblingblock. It's of the world, of the "old man" and "childish things".

Consider also that a person maybe shouldn't be considering doing things just for the sake of "winning souls for Jesus". That I believe is an attitude of works and not faith. I even consider it "taking thought for the morrow". If I may say, don't worry about how you might have a chance to witness. If God wants you to preach the Word, He will let you know "in that hour".

While in the flesh, we will not be able to be that perfect little Christian, as many try to suggest in their false doctrines of works, but we by the Spirit , if we have faith in Jesus, we will end up being more edifying, and do things that are more expedient in this life while in the world.

"Even so ye, forasmuch as ye are zealous of spiritual [gifts], seek that ye may excel to the edifying of the church." 1 Corinthians 14:12 (KJB)
Report Spam   Logged
BurtonMess

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2017, 01:01:01 am »

I don't think Jesus would be angry if he saw us playing a simple game of chess with a friend.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: