End Times and Current Events
March 28, 2024, 06:39:53 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: "Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me." John 5:39 (KJB)

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

D.C., N.Y. buildings evacuate as quake felt across East

Shoutbox
March 27, 2024, 12:55:24 pm Mark says: Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked  When Hamas spokesman Abu Ubaida began a speech marking the 100th day of the war in Gaza, one confounding yet eye-opening proclamation escaped the headlines. Listing the motives for the Palestinian militant group's Oct. 7 massacre in Israel, he accused Jews of "bringing red cows" to the Holy Land.
December 31, 2022, 10:08:58 am NilsFor1611 says: blessings
August 08, 2018, 02:38:10 am suzytr says: Hello, any good churches in the Sacto, CA area, also looking in Reno NV, thanks in advance and God Bless you Smiley
January 29, 2018, 01:21:57 am Christian40 says: It will be interesting to see what happens this year Israel being 70 years as a modern nation may 14 2018
October 17, 2017, 01:25:20 am Christian40 says: It is good to type Mark is here again!  Smiley
October 16, 2017, 03:28:18 am Christian40 says: anyone else thinking that time is accelerating now? it seems im doing days in shorter time now is time being affected in some way?
September 24, 2017, 10:45:16 pm Psalm 51:17 says: The specific rule pertaining to the national anthem is found on pages A62-63 of the league rulebook. It states: “The National Anthem must be played prior to every NFL game, and all players must be on the sideline for the National Anthem. “During the National Anthem, players on the field and bench area should stand at attention, face the flag, hold helmets in their left hand, and refrain from talking. The home team should ensure that the American flag is in good condition. It should be pointed out to players and coaches that we continue to be judged by the public in this area of respect for the flag and our country. Failure to be on the field by the start of the National Anthem may result in discipline, such as fines, suspensions, and/or the forfeiture of draft choice(s) for violations of the above, including first offenses.”
September 20, 2017, 04:32:32 am Christian40 says: "The most popular Hepatitis B vaccine is nothing short of a witch’s brew including aluminum, formaldehyde, yeast, amino acids, and soy. Aluminum is a known neurotoxin that destroys cellular metabolism and function. Hundreds of studies link to the ravaging effects of aluminum. The other proteins and formaldehyde serve to activate the immune system and open up the blood-brain barrier. This is NOT a good thing."
http://www.naturalnews.com/2017-08-11-new-fda-approved-hepatitis-b-vaccine-found-to-increase-heart-attack-risk-by-700.html
September 19, 2017, 03:59:21 am Christian40 says: bbc international did a video about there street preaching they are good witnesses
September 14, 2017, 08:06:04 am Psalm 51:17 says: bro Mark Hunter on YT has some good, edifying stuff too.
View Shout History
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: D.C., N.Y. buildings evacuate as quake felt across East  (Read 776 times)
William
« on: August 23, 2011, 02:26:19 pm »

Air, train traffic disrupted over wide area due to very shallow temblor

NBC, msnbc.com and news services
updated 2 hours 1 minutes ago

BREAKING NEWS

WASHINGTON — Hundreds of thousands of people evacuated buildings across the East Coast on Tuesday after a moderate earthquake in Virginia that was also felt as far south as Chapel Hill, N.C. No tsunami warning was issued, but air and train traffic was disrupted across the Northeast and mid-Atlantic.

In the Washington, D.C., area, parts of the Pentagon, White House and Capitol were among the areas evacuated. All memorials and monuments on the National Mall were evacuated and closed.

At the Pentagon, a low rumbling built and built to the point that the building shook. People ran into the corridors of the government's biggest building and as the shaking continued there were shouts of "Evacuate! Evacuate!"

The quake even broke a water main inside the Pentagon, flooding parts of two floors, NBC reported.

Initial damage reports from Washington included the central tower at the National Cathedral and Ecuador's embassy. Three pinnacles on the 30-story-tall tower broke off.

Centered some 90 miles south of the nation's capital, the quake was a magnitude 5.9, the U.S. Geological Survey said.

Two nuclear reactors near the epicenter were taken offline as a precaution, officials said. No damage was reported at either.

At the U.S. Capitol, light fixtures swung and the building shook for about 15 seconds while the tremor hit, NBC News reported.

At Reagan National Airport outside Washington, ceiling tiles fell during a few seconds of shaking. All flights were put on hold and one terminal was evacuated due to a gas smell.

In New York City, NBC reported debris fell from the attorney general's office, causing a brief panic as people ran from the area.

Airport towers and government buildings in New York, including City Hall, were evacuated. The 26-story federal courthouse in lower Manhattan began swaying and hundreds of people were seen leaving the building.

Flights from the New York area's John F. Kennedy and Newark airports were delayed while authorities inspected control towers and runways. Philadelphia's airport also halted flights for inspections.

New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg reported "no reports of significant damage or injuries in New York City at this time."

A mild tremor was even felt by NBC reporters with President Barack Obama during his vacation on Martha's Vineyard, an island off Massachusetts.

In Charleston, W.Va., hundreds of workers left the state Capitol building and employees at other downtown office buildings were asked to leave temporarily.

"The whole building shook," said Jennifer Bundy, a spokeswoman for the state Supreme Court. "You could feel two different shakes. Everybody just kind of came out on their own."

In Ohio, where office buildings swayed in Columbus and Cincinnati and the press box at the Cleveland Indians' Progressive Field shook. At least one building near the Statehouse was evacuated in downtown Columbus.

In downtown Baltimore, Md., the quake sent office workers into the streets, where lamp posts swayed slightly as they called family and friends to check in.

The earthquake’s epicenter was near Louisa, Va., the USGS reported. It was a very shallow quake, less than a mile deep, which would explain why it was so widely felt.

The East Coast gets earthquakes, but usually smaller ones than the West Coast and is less prepared for shaking.

At NBC's Washington bureau, it took a few seconds for staffers to realize what was going on, with people asking one another if it was an earthquake.

No alarms sounded but people then began rushing out, congregating in front of the building as they would for a fire drill.

Outside the building, people tried making calls, but no one could get service.

Next door, staffers for the Department of Homeland Security evacuated their building.

"I was probably in three earthquakes in Los Angeles," said NBC news producer Mark Miano, "and this was by far the strongest I’ve ever felt."

The D.C. area's previous record for an earthquake was on July 16, 2010, when a 3.6 magnitude quake was felt.

The USGS said that the quake was not related to one in Colorado on Monday.

From: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44245009/ns/us_news-life/t/congress-pentagon-other-dc-areas-evacuate-after-quake/?GT1=43001#.TlP9qqjAXk8

Shocked  Shocked  Shocked
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Mark
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 02:45:56 pm »

My daughter and I felt this in Ohio.
Report Spam   Logged

What can you do for Jesus?  Learn what 1 person can accomplish.

The Man from George Street
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkjMvPhLrn8
Mark
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 02:47:24 pm »

Washington monument damaged??

Fox News anchor Megyn Kelly reported at 2:30 pm that their bureau received information that the Washington Monument may actually be tilting as a result of the earthquake. Two nuclear reactors have reportedly been taken off line near the epicenter of the earthquake.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/watercooler/2011/aug/23/picket-fnc-reports-washington-monument-may-be-tilt/

Let it fall!!!!
Report Spam   Logged

Mark
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 02:48:13 pm »

from cnn twitter feed:

Ten nuclear plants in four states have declared "unusual events" -- lowest-level emergency alerts -- after #earthquake

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/08/23/quake-hits-near-washington-d-c/
Report Spam   Logged

William
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 03:03:25 pm »

That's amazing! I didn't feel anything here, but of course I'm all the way on the west side of Missouri so that's pretty far way lol.

How much shaking did you, and your daughter feel?

Sounds like Judgment is on its way, and the Lord's patience is quickly running out

Praise the Lord though, because finally his judgment comes down, and one more day, and step closer to the end.

Praise the Lord Jesus Christ!

Was it bigger than a 5.9? I wouldn't think an earthquake that small couldn't do that kind of damage.

I agree let it fall!  Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged
Lisa
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 03:07:16 pm »

Psalm 91
 1He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.

2I will say of the LORD, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in him will I trust.

3Surely he shall deliver thee from the snare of the fowler, and from the noisome pestilence.

4He shall cover thee with his feathers, and under his wings shalt thou trust: his truth shall be thy shield and buckler.

5Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night; nor for the arrow that flieth by day;

6Nor for the pestilence that walketh in darkness; nor for the destruction that wasteth at noonday.

7A thousand shall fall at thy side, and ten thousand at thy right hand; but it shall not come nigh thee.

8Only with thine eyes shalt thou behold and see the reward of the wicked.

9Because thou hast made the LORD, which is my refuge, even the most High, thy habitation;

10There shall no evil befall thee, neither shall any plague come nigh thy dwelling.

11For he shall give his angels charge over thee, to keep thee in all thy ways.

12They shall bear thee up in their hands, lest thou dash thy foot against a stone.

13Thou shalt tread upon the lion and adder: the young lion and the dragon shalt thou trample under feet.

14Because he hath set his love upon me, therefore will I deliver him: I will set him on high, because he hath known my name.

15He shall call upon me, and I will answer him: I will be with him in trouble; I will deliver him, and honour him.

16With long life will I satisfy him, and shew him my salvation.

Acts 16

25And at midnight Paul and Silas prayed, and sang praises unto God: and the prisoners heard them.

26And suddenly there was a great earthquake, so that the foundations of the prison were shaken: and immediately all the doors were opened, and every one's bands were loosed.

27And the keeper of the prison awaking out of his sleep, and seeing the prison doors open, he drew out his sword, and would have killed himself, supposing that the prisoners had been fled.

28But Paul cried with a loud voice, saying, Do thyself no harm: for we are all here.

29Then he called for a light, and sprang in, and came trembling, and fell down before Paul and Silas,

30And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved?

31And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.

32And they spake unto him the word of the Lord, and to all that were in his house.

33And he took them the same hour of the night, and washed their stripes; and was baptized, he and all his, straightway.

34And when he had brought them into his house, he set meat before them, and rejoiced, believing in God with all his house.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 03:25:16 pm by Lisa » Report Spam   Logged
Psalm 51:17
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 03:22:23 pm »

Logged on for the first time today-internet troubles and had to run errands...wow, looks like I missed alot of big news today!

Jesus says to WATCH and PRAY in the end times - I'm not trying to pull a Harold Camping here, but if what we witnessed today is a sign of things to come...
Report Spam   Logged
Mark
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2011, 03:28:05 pm »

That's amazing! I didn't feel anything here, but of course I'm all the way on the west side of Missouri so that's pretty far way lol.

How much shaking did you, and your daughter feel?

at first i thought my son was shaking the sofa, but he was out side, my daughter was on the other sofa and just looked at me. My dog was at the other end of the sofa, so i thought he might have been panting heavy or something, but he was asleep. My daughter just looked at me and said i feel it to. There was no trucks, nothing going on, we got up and looked out side, nothing. We sat back down, and i said must have been an earthquake.Thats when we looked at USGS and seen the quake in VA that happened at the same time.

The sofa just felt like it was vibrating. it was weird. Earthquakes are very rare here.
Report Spam   Logged

William
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2011, 04:18:56 pm »

Yeah I can imagine. I remember a couple of years ago back in like 2005 we had an earthquake near our town, and area. I know if a big one hit the Madrid it would do some damage, and I would for sure feel it in my area since it would be towards Kansas city. St. Louis would be destroyed I would imagine.

Do you normally not have earthquakes in Ohio then?

I wonder how much damage actually happened in the Virgina, D.C. Area...  Undecided
Report Spam   Logged
William
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2011, 08:11:44 pm »

Quake shakes East Coast, causes evacuations
Air, train traffic disrupted over wide area; some feared another 9/11

WASHINGTON — An earthquake in central Virginia was felt across much of the East Coast on Tuesday, causing light damage and forcing hundreds of thousands of people to evacuate buildings in New York, Washington and other cities.

No tsunami warning was issued, but air and train traffic was disrupted across the Northeast and mid-Atlantic.

In the Washington area, parts of the Pentagon, White House and Capitol were among the areas evacuated for several hours. All memorials and monuments on the National Mall were evacuated and closed for inspections.

Around 7:30 p.m. EST, the National Park Service reopened the Lincoln and Jefferson Memorials to the public, but officials decided to keep the Washington Monument closed. After a secondary inspection, NPS officials discovered some cracking in the stones near the top of the monument. Structural engineers will be brought in to evaluate the cracks.

At the Pentagon, a low rumbling built and built to the point that the building shook. People ran into the corridors of the government's biggest building and as the shaking continued there were shouts of "Evacuate! Evacuate!"

NBC Pentagon corresponent Jim Miklaszewski said the rumbling was eerily similar to the impact on Sept. 11, 2001, when al-Qaida terrorists flew a jetliner into the Pentagon. "I, like many other people here, thought 'Oh my God, we've been hit again.'"

The quake ruptured a water pipe inside the Pentagon, flooding parts of two floors.

Initial damage reports from Washington included plaster falling off the Capitol building and three pinnacles falling off the 30-story-tall central tower at the National Cathedral.

One of the National Cathedral spires damaged in the quake is seen at left.

There were no reports of deaths or serious injuries.

Centered some 90 miles south of the nation's capital, the quake was a magnitude 5.8, the U.S. Geological Survey said Tuesday after an earlier estimate of 5.9.

The quake was tied for third strongest along the East Coast in recorded history, USGS records show. Charleston, S.C., was hit by a 7.3 in 1886 and Giles County, Va., saw a 5.9 in 1897. A 5.8 quake struck New York state in 1944.

Several hours after the first earthquake, a 4.2 magnitude aftershock hit in Mineral, Va., just after 8 p.m., EST, according to USGS. Mineral is around 35 miles northwest of Richmond. NBC News' Tom Costello reported that a low rumble was heard as the aftershock occurred.

Two nuclear reactors near the epicenter were taken offline as a precaution, officials said. No damage was reported at either.

Dominion Resources Inc said its 1,806-megawatt North Anna nuclear station in Virginia was designed to withstand a 6.2 magnitude earthquake, a spokesman told Reuters.

At the U.S. Capitol, light fixtures swung and the building shook for about 15 seconds while the tremor hit, NBC News reported.

"I thought at first somebody was shaking my chair and then I thought maybe it was a bomb," said Senate aide Wendy Oscarson-Kirchner.

At Reagan National Airport outside Washington, ceiling tiles fell during a few seconds of shaking. All flights were put on hold and one terminal was evacuated due to a gas smell.

In New York City, NBC reported debris fell from the attorney general's office, causing a brief panic as people ran from the area.
Quake interrupts Manhattan for a New York minute

Airport towers and government buildings in New York, including City Hall, were evacuated. The 26-story federal courthouse in lower Manhattan began swaying and hundreds of people were seen leaving the building.

Flights from the New York area's John F. Kennedy and Newark airports were delayed while authorities inspected control towers and runways. Philadelphia's airport also halted flights for inspections.
Video: Quake halts Strauss-Khan press conference

New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg reported "no reports of significant damage or injuries in New York City at this time."

Children are evacuated from the Jacob K. Javits Federal building in New York on Tuesday after the earthquake.

A mild tremor was even felt by NBC reporters with President Barack Obama during his vacation on Martha's Vineyard, an island off Massachusetts.

In Charleston, W.Va., hundreds of workers left the state Capitol building and employees at other downtown office buildings were asked to leave temporarily.

"The whole building shook," said Jennifer Bundy, a spokeswoman for the state Supreme Court. "You could feel two different shakes. Everybody just kind of came out on their own."

From: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44245009/ns/us_news-life/t/congress-pentagon-other-dc-areas-evacuate-after-quake/?GT1=43001#.TlRM-ajAXk8 (More at Link)
Report Spam   Logged
William
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2011, 08:15:16 pm »

Twitter uses #earthquake to mock Nature's wrath, you

Every old joke is new again. Even though this picture is dated July 2010, it gained fresh Twitter popularity on Tuesday.

By Helen A.S. Popkin

Immediately following news of a moderate earthquake in Virginia that was felt in Washington D.C., New York City and as far south as Chapel Hill, N.C., aftershocks — of sorts — rippled across the Internet. Many turned to the U.S. first-alert system by default — Twitter — to find and share news of damage in our nation's capital, travel delays and how much they did (or didn't) feel the earth shake.

Even more jumped online to mock panic, make witty reference of eschatological beliefs of a cataclysmic event in 2012/and or that one John Cusack movie, sarcastically mourn the reported split of Will and Jada Pinkett-Smith, insult your political leanings, mock death and take advantage of ample opportunity for appending "that's what she said" on pretty much everything. And as is now, I believe, required by law, the D.C. Earthquake now has its own Twitter account.

That was fast.

No less than eight tongue-in-cheek groups named around various versions of "I survived the Aug. 23 earthquake" popped up on Facebook, the most popular heading toward 1,800 "Likes" at the time of this post. A photo of the "D.C. devastation" on jmckinley's posterous blog post of July 2010 — a set of plastic lawn furniture with one toppled chair — became the popular photo link to retweet on Tuesday, quickly inspiring a photo meme of more earthquake non-devastation. Even as nail-biting reports about Virginia nuclear plants that shut down circulated in the news, Foursquare tips on the new check-in "location" — Earthquakeacopcolypse — piled in by the thousands. (My fav, courtesy Matt S of Livingston, NJ: "Try the pie. It's delightful.")

Nothing inspires the humor center of the brain like the false sense of security that follows a quick reminder that Nature can kick your insignificant arse at anytime, only this time, it didn't. Observe.

From: http://technolog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/08/23/7451684-twitter-uses-earthquake-to-mock-natures-wrath-you?GT1=4301
Report Spam   Logged
Kilika
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2011, 03:10:42 am »

No earthquakes out here in Arizona. Just record heat; we hit 116 yesterday.

My wife is from Virginia, not too far from Mineral where the earthquake was centered. She talked to her brother and he said it rattled pretty good, which he's a little to the west of Mineral.

Some "experts" I heard say it was a 100 year quake, for the east coast. And it was felt all over because the east coast alledgedly has solid bedrock mostly, and the west coast is more broken up, so the quakes aren't felt as far away out west as they are on the east coast area.

Whatever. If God wants to rock the east coast, He will. As the end ramps up, I think there will be many more of these 100 year events.
Report Spam   Logged
William
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2011, 04:17:10 pm »

Landmarks inspected for hidden cracks a day after quake
Engineers taking a closer look at cracks in the Washington Monument and broken capstones at the National Cathedral

MINERAL, Va. — Office buildings, schools and iconic American landmarks were being inspected Wednesday for possible structural flaws caused by a rare East Coast earthquake while those near the epicenter nervously waited out aftershocks.

Public schools and a handful of federal government buildings in Washington remained closed for further assessment, and engineers were taking a closer look at cracks in the Washington Monument and broken capstones at the National Cathedral. Some residents of D.C. suburbs were staying in shelters because of structural concerns at their apartment buildings.

Farther south, Tuesday's 5.8-magnitude quake also shattered windows and wrecked buildings near its Virginia epicenter. There were no known deaths or serious injuries.

The head of the Federal Emergency Management Agency said the quake serves as a reminder for residents to be prepared.

"We talk about hurricanes this time of year, but we forget that A: earthquakes don't have a season and B: they are not just a western hazard," FEMA administrator Craig Fugate said in an interview Wednesday on ABC's Good Morning America.
Quake interrupts Manhattan for a New York minute

In North Carolina, officials were preparing for another potential disaster by inspecting an aging bridge that will be a key evacuation route for people leaving the coast ahead of Hurricane Irene, expected to approach over the weekend. Bridge inspectors on site at the Bonner Bridge saw no visual problems from the quake.

When the quake struck, many feared terrorism in New York and Washington — places where nerves are raw as the 10th anniversary of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks approaches. The tremblor sent many pouring from high-rises like the Empire State Building.

"I ran down all 60 flights," accounting office worker Caitlin Trupiano said. "I wasn't waiting for the elevator."

Chris Kardian, working in his garage in suburban Richmond, Va., not far from the epicenter, opted for the more prosaic and plausible: He blamed the shaking on two of his children in the overhead playroom.

"I just thought they were running around and being really loud," he said. "After about 15 seconds, it didn't stop and I thought, 'I don't have that many kids in the house!'"

Police block off the alley behind the Embassy of Ecquador in Washington after part of the building sustained damages on Tuesday.

The most powerful earthquake to strike the East Coast in 67 years shook buildings and jarred as many as 12 million people. The U.S. Geological Survey said it was centered 40 miles northwest of Richmond in Mineral, and it has produced at least four aftershocks ranging in magnitude from 2.2. to 4.2.

The U.S. Park Service evacuated and closed all monuments and memorials along the National Mall. The Pentagon, the White House, the Capitol and federal agencies in and around Washington were evacuated. Roads out of the city were clogged with commuters headed home.

At the majestic Washington National Cathedral, at least three of the four top stones on the central tower fell off, and cracks appeared in the flying buttresses at the cathedral's east end, the oldest part of the structure.

The top of the Washington Monument has a crack on the west side of the pyramid-shaped top of the huge obelisk, Carol Johnson of the National Parks Service told NBC News. Structural engineers were looking into the damage, she said. So far, no damage reported on the base of the monument.

The monument, a prime tourist attraction, was evacuated soon after the quake. The damage was detected during an inspection by helicopter, spokesman Bill Line said.

Ceiling tiles fell to the floor at Reagan National Airport. The gothic-style Smithsonian Castle, built in 1857, had minor cracks and broken glass. And vigorous shaking left a crack and hole in the ceiling at historic Union Station when a chunk of plaster fell near the main entrance.
Story: 'Hey East Coast, the entire West Coast is mocking you right now'

Maintenance workers at the U.S. Capitol and congressional office buildings have already repaired cracked plaster, chipped paint and missing ceiling tiles. Engineers found no major damage to any of the buildings, Architect of the Capitol spokeswoman Eva Malecki said.

On Wednesday a handful of federal buildings remained closed, including some offices of the Homeland Security, Agriculture and Interior departments.

Stressed-out D.C. mother of four Marion Babcock, who spent two hours in traffic instead of her normal 25 minutes, did the only sensible thing for her frazzled, frightened kids: "I treated their post-traumatic stress with copious amounts of chocolate mint and cookie dough ice cream."

Between cell phones and social networks, news of the quake seemed to travel faster than the temblor itself.

Jenna Scanlon of Floral Park, N.Y., ended a phone call with someone in McLean, Va., and announced to her office colleagues there had been an earthquake. Seconds later, 7 World Trade Center began to shake.
Story: Earthquake closes, damages Washington landmarks

The scope of the damage — or lack of — also quickly became clear on social networks. Instead of collapsed freeways, people posted images of toppled lawn chairs and yogurt cups, broken Bobbleheads, picture frames askew on walls.

On Facebook, people joked with posts such as "S&P has downgraded earthquake to a 2.0," a swipe at the rating agency that recently lowered the federal government's creditworthiness. Another suggested New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, a large man, had just "jumped into" the presidential race.

About 35 miles north of the epicenter in Culpeper, Va., officials were doing a building-by-building inspection of the downtown business district. Several historic buildings were damaged.

Miller's Mart food store in Mineral, Va., a small town northwest of Richmond near the earthquake's epicenter, was shaken but not damaged Tuesday.

In West Virginia, environmental regulators sent engineers to inspect massive coal slurry dams that could wipe out entire communities if they were to fail and release billions of gallons of wastewater.

Meanwhile, the Tennessee Valley Authority said that checks of its dams and nuclear plants in several states had turned up no problems.

Amtrak said trains along the Northeast Corridor between Baltimore and Washington were operating at reduced speeds and crews were inspecting stations and railroad infrastructure before returning to normal.

Even those who knew what was happening had braced for worse, some remembering the Indian Ocean quake that triggered a tsunami and a nuclear disaster in Japan.

"I knew it was an earthquake, but my first thought was, 'Oh my God, something's going to happen to the power plant," said 21-year-old Whitney Thacker in Mineral, Va., a town near the epicenter where the sidewalks were littered with fallen stones, masonry and broken glass. "It was scary."

Dominion Virginia Power shut down its two-reactor nuclear power plant within 10 miles of the quake's epicenter, but said there was no evidence of any damage to the decades-old North Anna Power Station.

By the standards of the West Coast, where earthquakes are much more common, the Virginia quake was mild. Since 1900, there have been 40 of magnitude 5.8 or greater in California alone.

But quakes in the East tend to be felt across a much broader area, the waves traveling "pretty happily out for miles," said U.S. Geological Survey seismologist Susan Hough.

The last quake of equal power to strike the East Coast was in New York in 1944. The largest East Coast quake on record was a 7.3 that hit South Carolina in 1886.

The fear in some places was real.

Michael Leman had been mowing a neighbor's lawn in Mineral when bricks began falling from a chimney and the earth heaved a large propane tank about a foot off the ground.

"I thought that tank was about to explode," he said, "and I ran for dear life."

From: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44256381/ns/us_news-life/?GT1=43001#.TlVoTqjAXk8
Report Spam   Logged
Kilika
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2011, 04:57:44 am »

My wife is from that area, just to the west of Mineral VA. Her brother said it rattled the area pretty good for about 30 seconds.

It's amazing to see the difference in damage for a 5.8. One that size in California would hardly be noticed, much less cause any damage. The LA basin can have a 5.8, and San Deigo wouldn't even know it. Have one on the East Coast, and everybody feels it. I can't imagine the damage they would have if it was a 7.0 quake.
Report Spam   Logged
William
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2011, 05:05:39 am »

My wife is from that area, just to the west of Mineral VA. Her brother said it rattled the area pretty good for about 30 seconds.

It's amazing to see the difference in damage for a 5.8. One that size in California would hardly be noticed, much less cause any damage. The LA basin can have a 5.8, and San Deigo wouldn't even know it. Have one on the East Coast, and everybody feels it. I can't imagine the damage they would have if it was a 7.0 quake.

Yeah it is quite amazing how such a small earthquake can cause that damage. What do you think would happen if they had like say an 8.0? or even a 9.1 like Japan did?

I have some family I think in Virgina. An aunt I believe, but not sure where. I can imagine it rattled it pretty good by the way they talk. Surely God's judgment is not far way, and is nigh. Now a hurricane is on its way towards them. I think the Lord's patience is running out which is a good thing. Its getting much more wicked, and evil as everyday passes. Though we don't hear, or see everything happening the earth everyday, the Lord does and I can only imagine his anger.  Undecided
Report Spam   Logged
William
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2011, 04:22:26 am »

Nuclear Detonation Confirmed?

August 19, 2011
Name withheld

This is a follow up from my previous email and the earthquake on Tuesday.

I went to my source today and they have confirm that the earthquake today with the epicenter in Virginia was a tactical nuke that did go off in an underground bunker. The mighty men and women of valor found the device and had to explode it underground. The target was the nuclear facility located in Virginia.

I also received clarification that their were seven weapons on the mainland. Five were being tracked (now just four since one was detonated) and two that they cannot account for at this time. These two are from the "shadow" group that they are trying to find.

It seems very suspicious that I received this Intel last week about the weapons and the DC area being a target and now this earthquake happens. There are no accidents.

I will take this information to the Lord and discern upon it.
Thank Hawk, you are your listeners for being out there and please pray for me and my source.

God Bless,

From: http://www.stevequayle.com/News.alert/11_Global/110825.alert.nukes.html
Report Spam   Logged
William
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2011, 04:23:20 am »

Thank You To Those Nameless Men And Women, Without Equal, For Your Intervention Against False Flag Nukes

August 25, 2011
Steve Quayle

Seismic monitors and intel agents have come forth about multiple nuclear devices being intercepted and exploded underground in Virginia and Colorado, that were destined to destroy countless lives and generate a massive martial law lockdown in this country. What remains unseen to most is a group that I have named the "Mighty Men and Women of Valor", who are responsible for saving the lives of tens of millions of Americans. They fight in secret and die in secret giving their lives that others may live. They deal with things that go "bump in the night" that would cause our hearts to fail, who at this very moment, are holding the line against those things coming upon the earth from deep underground hives, star gates and outer space-not to mention the fallen angels and their earthly accomplices that have put their human race ending plan in motion.

There appears to be a "factional fight" taking place between "the ultra black military and intelligence" groups who are associated with the Luciferian bankers and the Mighty Men and Women of Valor who stand in their way for world destruction and domination.

I ask that all Jesus Believing Intercessors who know the lateness of the hour, seek God on their behalf and [ray for God's divine intervention and protection over the MMV's lives and a complete revealing by the hand of God in identifying those both behind the scenes and in front of the TV cameras who are responsible for the coming destruction of our country.

While we can't stop God's judgment, we can seek the Living God in repentance and in faith for His preservation and purpose in withstanding this evil, trusting that as He delivered Noah, Joseph and Daniel He will deliver those who love Him and call upon His Name. His word to us today, "WATCH WHAT I WILL DO--IF YOU WILL HUMBLE YOURSELVES AND CALL UPON MY NAME!

From: http://www.stevequayle.com/News.alert/11_Global/110825.Steve.thanks.html
Report Spam   Logged
William
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2011, 08:13:55 am »

I just got this today from Scott's Newsletter which is just another confirmation even though its from the same source.

End Time Current Events: 8-26-11
Seismic Evidence Reveals Underground Nuclear Detonation South of Washington:Seismology charts are now revealing that the 5.8 magnitude tremor that rattled the entire East Coast including Washington DC was not a natural earthquake but an earthquake that resulted from an underground nuclear detonation. The image above is a seismograph from Washington and Lee University, (similar one found on www2.tricities.com website) about 85 miles southwest of the earthquake’s epicenter in Mineral. The green lines indicates the tremor that was felt in Washington DC which caused damaged to the Washington Memorial and the Washington National Cathedral. The black lines is a transparent overlay of a seismograph from a pdf file from Virginia Division Mineral Resources on Earthquakes. more

Nuclear Detonation Confirmed? I went to my source today and they have confirm that the earthquake today with the epicenter in Virginia was a tactical nuke that did go off in an underground bunker. The mighty men and women of valor found the device and had to explode it underground. The target was the nuclear facility located in Virginia. I also received clarification that their were seven weapons on the mainland. Five were being tracked (now just four since one was detonated) and two that they cannot account for at this time. These two are from the "shadow" group that they are trying to find. more

From Steve Quayle: Thank You To Those Nameless Men And Women, Without Equal, For Your Intervention Against False Flag Nukes
Seismic monitors and intel agents have come forth about multiple nuclear devices being intercepted and exploded underground in Virginia and Colorado, that were destined to destroy countless lives and generate a massive martial law lockdown in this country. What remains unseen to most is a group that I have named the "Mighty Men and Women of Valor", who are responsible for saving the lives of tens of millions of Americans. They fight in secret and die in secret giving their lives that others may live. They deal with things that go "bump in the night" that would cause our hearts to fail, who at this very moment, are holding the line against those things coming upon the earth from deep underground hives, star gates and outer space-not to mention the fallen angels and their earthly accomplices that have put their human race ending plan in motion.
Report Spam   Logged
Kilika
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2011, 03:25:14 am »

This is a bunch of urban legend scare tactics. If there were a nuke, Russia would be screaming bloody murder about now for us having detinated a nuke against testing bans. Nuclear watchdog groups would be screaming at the top of their lungs in protest.

Bottom line, it's just more rumor mill junk, particularly the nuke story, which I think originated from Sorcha Faal, a known disninfo agent and all round liar. Another "Enquirer" rag story that simply isn't true.
Report Spam   Logged
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2011, 09:35:19 pm »

This is a bunch of urban legend scare tactics. If there were a nuke, Russia would be screaming bloody murder about now for us having detinated a nuke against testing bans. Nuclear watchdog groups would be screaming at the top of their lungs in protest.

Bottom line, it's just more rumor mill junk, particularly the nuke story, which I think originated from Sorcha Faal, a known disninfo agent and all round liar. Another "Enquirer" rag story that simply isn't true.

Either way, what happened as a result? An EARTHQUAKE! Didn't Jesus say in Matthew 24 earthquakes would happen in divers places in the end times?

So maybe it was a result of HAARP, maybe it was a result of a nuke, but either way, it doesn't matter, b/c an earthquake of an above average magnitude happened in a vicinity that rarely gets these things. Thank you Jesus for your words being the truth!
Report Spam   Logged
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2011, 09:38:02 pm »

Another thing, over on PPF, the same guy who keeps insisting the prophecies of Revelation happened in 70 AD was also the same guy who started a thread how it was a NUKE that set off that earthquake on the East Coast. I won't name his name, but Dok and Kilika, you probably know who I'm talking about.

A double minded man is unstable in all his ways...
Report Spam   Logged
Mark
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2011, 09:19:00 am »

Extent of damage to the Washington Monument to be revealed

Just how bad was the damage the Washington Monument suffered during the 5.8-magnitude earthquake that struck the East Coast on August 23?

National Park Service officials will hold a news conference Monday afternoon to offer details, including plans on reopening it to the public.

The service has been working with an engineering firm to determine the extent of the damage and what it will cost to fix it.

Small pools of standing water were found in the monument during inspections following Hurricane Irene, the National Park Service said in late August.

Earthquake shakes walls inside building "What happened was a lot of mortar popped out, so much so that you can see sunlight above 450 feet in the monument," spokeswoman Carol Johnson said at the time.

The Washington Monument, built between 1848 and 1884, is 555 feet, 5 and one-eighth inches tall. Its walls are 15 feet thick at the base and 18 inches at the top, and are composed primarily of white marble blocks, according to the National Park Service.

Four cracks in the monument marble were first discovered after the earthquake rocked the nation's capital. The repairs will include pinning the stones together and replacing some mortar, Johnson said then.

"The engineers have assured us that the monument is structurally sound," Johnson said.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/09/26/us/washington-monument/

The Washington Monument, built between 1848 and 1884, is 555 feet, 5 and one-eighth inches tall. Its walls are 15 feet thick at the base and 18 inches at the top, and are composed primarily of white marble blocks, according to the National Park Service.

There is another 111 feet that goes down into the Earth, making the satanic slab 666 feet tall.  Shocked

The Washington Monument@ the NUMBER 666
http://wwwwizardofoz.blogspot.com/2009/01/washington-monument-number-666.html
Report Spam   Logged

Mark
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2011, 02:55:06 pm »

National Park Service: Washington Monument to remain closed ‘indefinitely’

The National Park Service says it has no time frame for reopening the Washington Monument, which has been closed to the public since cracks appeared after a 5.8-magnitude earthquake struck the area on Aug. 23.

Park service officials said at a briefing Monday that engineers are continuing their work on a complete exterior survey of the 555-foot structure.

“Our primary goal is expediting the reopening of the monument to the public,” National Mall Superintendent Bob Vogel said, adding the park service “understands the disappointment” about not having a more specific date when the monument will reopen.

Engineers are looking at the fastest way to repair the cracks, which allowed in heavy rains from Hurricane Irene.

The 126-year-old monument has remained closed since the earthquake.

With its Egyptian obelisklike shape, the monument is one of the most easily recognizable structures in the D.C. skyline and has continued to draw visitors to its grounds despite its closure. The park service erected a 100-foot-radius fence to prevent any falling debris from injuring visitors.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2011/sep/26/park-service-washington-monument-remain-closed-ind/
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: