End Times and Current Events
March 29, 2024, 05:29:18 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome To End Times and Current Events.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Armed Services chairman: Cuts could mean draft

Shoutbox
March 27, 2024, 12:55:24 pm Mark says: Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked  When Hamas spokesman Abu Ubaida began a speech marking the 100th day of the war in Gaza, one confounding yet eye-opening proclamation escaped the headlines. Listing the motives for the Palestinian militant group's Oct. 7 massacre in Israel, he accused Jews of "bringing red cows" to the Holy Land.
December 31, 2022, 10:08:58 am NilsFor1611 says: blessings
August 08, 2018, 02:38:10 am suzytr says: Hello, any good churches in the Sacto, CA area, also looking in Reno NV, thanks in advance and God Bless you Smiley
January 29, 2018, 01:21:57 am Christian40 says: It will be interesting to see what happens this year Israel being 70 years as a modern nation may 14 2018
October 17, 2017, 01:25:20 am Christian40 says: It is good to type Mark is here again!  Smiley
October 16, 2017, 03:28:18 am Christian40 says: anyone else thinking that time is accelerating now? it seems im doing days in shorter time now is time being affected in some way?
September 24, 2017, 10:45:16 pm Psalm 51:17 says: The specific rule pertaining to the national anthem is found on pages A62-63 of the league rulebook. It states: “The National Anthem must be played prior to every NFL game, and all players must be on the sideline for the National Anthem. “During the National Anthem, players on the field and bench area should stand at attention, face the flag, hold helmets in their left hand, and refrain from talking. The home team should ensure that the American flag is in good condition. It should be pointed out to players and coaches that we continue to be judged by the public in this area of respect for the flag and our country. Failure to be on the field by the start of the National Anthem may result in discipline, such as fines, suspensions, and/or the forfeiture of draft choice(s) for violations of the above, including first offenses.”
September 20, 2017, 04:32:32 am Christian40 says: "The most popular Hepatitis B vaccine is nothing short of a witch’s brew including aluminum, formaldehyde, yeast, amino acids, and soy. Aluminum is a known neurotoxin that destroys cellular metabolism and function. Hundreds of studies link to the ravaging effects of aluminum. The other proteins and formaldehyde serve to activate the immune system and open up the blood-brain barrier. This is NOT a good thing."
http://www.naturalnews.com/2017-08-11-new-fda-approved-hepatitis-b-vaccine-found-to-increase-heart-attack-risk-by-700.html
September 19, 2017, 03:59:21 am Christian40 says: bbc international did a video about there street preaching they are good witnesses
September 14, 2017, 08:06:04 am Psalm 51:17 says: bro Mark Hunter on YT has some good, edifying stuff too.
View Shout History
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Armed Services chairman: Cuts could mean draft  (Read 488 times)
William
« on: September 22, 2011, 01:25:40 pm »

WASHINGTON (AP) — The House Armed Services Committee chairman is warning that further reductions to projected defense spending could make a military career so unattractive that it would force the Pentagon to revive the draft.

Rep. Howard "Buck" McKeon, R-Calif., suggested that spending cuts beyond the $350 billion that President Barack Obama and Congress agreed to in the debt accord this past summer could force the military to slash the number of service members, now some 2.3 million, including National Guard and reserves.

A special bipartisan committee is trying to come up with $1.5 trillion in spending cuts from all government spending. If it fails, or if Congress rejects its proposal, automatic cuts of $1.2 trillion would kick in, with half coming from defense.

"We also need to understand what it's going to mean to keep an all-volunteer force. Do we want to reinstitute the draft? Some of the cuts we're talking about would take over 200,000 out" McKeon said Monday in an interview with Fox News.

The military draft ended in 1973 as the U.S. switched to an all-volunteer force after the Vietnam War. In the decades since, some in Congress have suggested reviving the draft, but the Pentagon has rejected the idea and efforts have gone nowhere with Republicans or Democrats.

McKeon fears that defense cuts would force the Pentagon to reduce the size of the force, delay improvements for weapons and slice military benefits, steps that would made a military career far less attractive to recruits.

"Our troops that go outside the line over in Afghanistan every day should not be having to think about what their retirement's going to be, what their pension's going to be, are they going to be able to stay in the military," McKeon said.

Rep. Joe Wilson, R-S.C., chairman of the Armed Services personnel subcommittee, on Wednesday expressed concerns about defense cuts but said a draft was unnecessary.

"I'm concerned that the cuts are so devastating to our national security that almost any negative consequence can arise, but I actually have supported and continue to support as a budget-cutting measure elimination of the Selective Service," Wilson said in an interview.

The lawmaker, who attended the Marine Corps graduation at Parris Island last Friday, said service members are volunteering even in a time of two wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

"We have the new greatest generation," Wilson said. "We don't need as large a military due to the technology we have, the equipment we have outfitting our personnel. They really are storm troopers."

Democratic Rep. Jim McGovern of Massachusetts said "there are savings to be had in the military. The all-volunteer Army seems to be working pretty well. Reinstating the draft? I don't know what that accomplishes."

In recent weeks, McKeon suggested that he might back an increase in revenue through taxes to avoid deeper cuts in defense.

From: http://hosted2.ap.org/APDEFAULT/3d281c11a96b4ad082fe88aa0db04305/Article_2011-09-21-Defense%20Cuts-Military%20Draft/id-e3b77ce3f5284c46b2b28388c4df9dfc#_tab
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Kilika
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 02:21:53 pm »

Yeah, if I'm not mistaken, Charlie Rangle of New York would almost yearly propose the draft. Did it several times, and it never went anywhere.

The logic of instituting the draft because of budget cuts makes no sense. I don't even see the connection. Smaller size means it's even easier to get those spots filled.

The problem with the size of government is that you got all these 400+ people in Washington looking for something to legislate. So they come up with these stupid bills that takes up people's time to eventualy get tossed and never voted on, and if the do vote, its one big arm-twisting event.

It's what they do, but the reality is that it's not a full-time job or at least isn't suppose to be, but the sheer size of government now makes it full-time, but they instead use the time to make up bills and reasons for them being there full-time. But when they should be in Washington, they aren't there.

You don't think Congress is doing busy work, just to make their job look like something? Sit down before you look at the following numbers! They are SHOCKING...

http://www.washingtonwatch.com/blog/2008/08/03/10000-bills-introduced-in-congress-while-government-management-goes-neglected/

10,000 Bills Introduced in Congress, While Government Management Goes Neglected
Posted by Jim Harper, August 3, 2008 at 5:09 pm

Before leaving for its August recess last week, Congress saw the introduction of its 10,000th bill. Meanwhile, not a single one of the twelve annual bills that direct the government’s spending priorities in 2009 has passed the Senate and only one has passed the House. Congress is neglecting its basic responsibility to manage the federal government, and is instead churning out new legislation about everything under the sun.

The current Congress is on pace to easily beat the record 10,537 bills introduced in the 109th Congress. In the 109th (2005-2006), the 10,000th bill was introduced on September 18th, well after the August recess.

The number of bills introduced in each Congress has been rapidly increasing over the last twelve years. In the 104th Congress (1995-1996), there were 6,542 bills introduced. In the 105th (1997-1998), 7,529. The 106th (1999-2000), 107th (2001-2002), and 108th (2003-2004) saw bill introductions in the high 8,000s, and in the 109th (2005-2006), the number of bills first pierced through 10,000. (cont.)

Now you tell me, where is the holdup in the system? What in the world is wrong with that picture? That is a perfect example of a government that is completely out of control. There is no way no how that many bills could even be given a decent review by Congress, or even a committee. It's insane. And people wonder what is happening to the economy when these people are in office and the government is being run straight into the ground.

"Father forgive them..."
Report Spam   Logged
Mark
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011, 02:54:04 pm »

wont be a draft until after the rapture.
Report Spam   Logged

What can you do for Jesus?  Learn what 1 person can accomplish.

The Man from George Street
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkjMvPhLrn8
Mark
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2011, 03:00:48 pm »

Yeah, if I'm not mistaken, Charlie Rangle of New York would almost yearly propose the draft. Did it several times, and it never went anywhere.

yep that crook has been trying to institute the draft since Bush took office hoping to garner votes. He was convicted  Roll Eyes of ethics charges and now getting praised on the floor. shows just how bad our government is...
Report Spam   Logged

William
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2011, 03:07:14 pm »

wont be a draft until after the rapture.

How do you know their won't be a draft until after the rapture?
Report Spam   Logged
Mark
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2011, 03:32:45 pm »

How do you know their won't be a draft until after the rapture?

it would never pass the house and senate.
Report Spam   Logged

William
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2011, 03:37:10 pm »

I wonder how a draft would effect Christians though. I mean I would think they wouldn't want True Born Again Christians in the Military, because they would only speak out, or cause problems for them, and take God's Word as hate speech as they already do. For example the whole Homosexual agenda they have going now.

I for one wouldn't join the military, and they would have to kill me, or cast me into prison if they wanted to draft me, and I would never fight for a wicked government as ours.

Right now their trying to do a purge, but once they try to draft born again Christians they would probably end up having to kill a lot of them, or at the very least cast into prison.  Undecided
Report Spam   Logged
Kilika
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2011, 03:47:03 pm »

"Jesus answered, My kingdom is not of this world: if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight, that I should not be delivered to the Jews: but now is my kingdom not from hence." John 18:36 (KJB)
Report Spam   Logged
Mark
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2011, 03:48:29 pm »

Christians are less apt to kill their fellow country men for no reason. Now a bunch of devil possessed people? Sure they'll do it with no problem, just to get rid of the self-righteous haters and all.

So well, maybe they will institute a draft of gays.
Report Spam   Logged

Mark
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2011, 03:50:21 pm »

"Jesus answered, My kingdom is not of this world: if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight, that I should not be delivered to the Jews: but now is my kingdom not from hence." John 18:36 (KJB)

better tell old drunkard coyote that one.  Wink
Report Spam   Logged

Kilika
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2011, 03:51:59 pm »

Grin
Report Spam   Logged
William
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2011, 03:53:16 pm »

better tell old drunkard coyote that one.  Wink

Who is "old drunkard coyote?" if you don't mind me asking?  Huh
Report Spam   Logged
William
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2011, 03:57:57 pm »

Christians are less apt to kill their fellow country men for no reason. Now a bunch of devil possessed people? Sure they'll do it with no problem, just to get rid of the self-righteous haters and all.

So well, maybe they will institute a draft of gays.

Yeah, but I was speaking to someone a while back, and I guess they want more of the younger people to draft in, or to sign up, because they are cheaper to have at E1 rank I think it is.

Of course if they pull all the troops out of Iraq they would have some extra to spare than, but don't know if that will happen. I heard it might, but they want to leave troops in Afghanistan still.

Back to topic though...Yeah they would probably do a draft for those people, but its not like they can really do a specific draft for people can they now?  Huh I mean it would include all  would imagine, and if you don't go along well than...

For one thing I wouldn't do it, because of all the evils in our military, but also they require you to get vaccines as well...

19 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?
20 For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.
(I Corinthians 6:19-20 AKJV 1611)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 03:59:35 pm by William » Report Spam   Logged
Mark
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2011, 03:59:44 pm »

Who is "old drunkard coyote?" if you don't mind me asking?  Huh

a guy from PPF that fancies himself a christian.  Roll Eyes Maybe the catholic variety, or gnostic, but defiantly NOT the Biblical kind.
Report Spam   Logged

Mark
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2011, 04:02:32 pm »

Yeah, but I was speaking to someone a while back, and I guess they want more of the younger people to draft in, or to sign up, because they are cheaper to have at E1 rank I think it is.

Of course if they pull all the troops out of Iraq they would have some extra to spare than, but don't know if that will happen. I heard it might, but they want to leave troops in Afghanistan still.

Back to topic though...Yeah they would probably do a draft for those people, but its not like they can really do a specific draft for people can they now?  Huh I mean it would include all  would imagine, and if you don't go along well than...

For one thing I wouldn't do it, because of all the evils in our military, but also they require you to get vaccines as well...

19 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?
20 For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.
(I Corinthians 6:19-20 AKJV 1611)

We used to have mandatory draft in the country since its founding, only stopped after Vietnam, and it sure did not include ALL. That was part of the problem and would be in any future draft. Drafts are only for the so called dregs of society, press gangs if you will.
Report Spam   Logged

Kilika
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2011, 04:14:16 pm »

Cheesy He's a poster over at PPF that prides himself in being all patriotic, taking the country back, and defending the Constitution, blah, blah, blah. Long story actually that covers several years now.

Heres what Dok was referencing...

http://forum.prisonplanet.com/index.php?topic=76522.msg1296112#msg1296112

Notice his comment about Jesus and Luke 22 and Paul.

Report Spam   Logged
William
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2011, 04:21:46 pm »

We used to have mandatory draft in the country since its founding, only stopped after Vietnam, and it sure did not include ALL. That was part of the problem and would be in any future draft. Drafts are only for the so called dregs of society, press gangs if you will.

Yeah I knew they had a draft, but canceled it after Vietnam as you said. I thought the draft started for all 20 year olds, and than went up to 21..22...23...24..25...26...and than they came back and got the 19, and 18 year olds, and than continued back up to 27, and so on if they needed more. They had an age of 38, or something where they wouldn't take you any more, because you were too old. Though if it was in dire need, and our country was like invaded they might use you  Cheesy

Is there a such thing as a draft in the Bible? I thought their was back in Numbers Chapters 1 & 2? I'm reading it right now, and it really sounds like it... Huh
Report Spam   Logged
Kilika
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2011, 04:41:17 pm »

Yeah, there at times was within Israel drafts of sorts. But they really couldn't force people to go to war, and at times one kingdom would make a call to the other tribes for war and they wouldn't come. But generally, when they called for soldiers, they got them but it was out of service to God, not man. I'd have to read up some more, but I don't remember a case of forced service in an army.
Report Spam   Logged
Kilika
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2011, 04:41:28 pm »

Yeah, there at times was within Israel drafts of sorts. But they really couldn't force people to go to war, and at times one kingdom would make a call to the other tribes for war and they wouldn't come. But generally, when they called for soldiers, they got them but it was out of service to God, not man. I'd have to read up some more, but I don't remember a case of forced service in an army.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: