End Times and Current Events
April 16, 2024, 01:02:57 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: "Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me." John 5:39 (KJB)

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Armenian Christians say new legislation will increase persecution

Shoutbox
March 27, 2024, 12:55:24 pm Mark says: Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked  When Hamas spokesman Abu Ubaida began a speech marking the 100th day of the war in Gaza, one confounding yet eye-opening proclamation escaped the headlines. Listing the motives for the Palestinian militant group's Oct. 7 massacre in Israel, he accused Jews of "bringing red cows" to the Holy Land.
December 31, 2022, 10:08:58 am NilsFor1611 says: blessings
August 08, 2018, 02:38:10 am suzytr says: Hello, any good churches in the Sacto, CA area, also looking in Reno NV, thanks in advance and God Bless you Smiley
January 29, 2018, 01:21:57 am Christian40 says: It will be interesting to see what happens this year Israel being 70 years as a modern nation may 14 2018
October 17, 2017, 01:25:20 am Christian40 says: It is good to type Mark is here again!  Smiley
October 16, 2017, 03:28:18 am Christian40 says: anyone else thinking that time is accelerating now? it seems im doing days in shorter time now is time being affected in some way?
September 24, 2017, 10:45:16 pm Psalm 51:17 says: The specific rule pertaining to the national anthem is found on pages A62-63 of the league rulebook. It states: “The National Anthem must be played prior to every NFL game, and all players must be on the sideline for the National Anthem. “During the National Anthem, players on the field and bench area should stand at attention, face the flag, hold helmets in their left hand, and refrain from talking. The home team should ensure that the American flag is in good condition. It should be pointed out to players and coaches that we continue to be judged by the public in this area of respect for the flag and our country. Failure to be on the field by the start of the National Anthem may result in discipline, such as fines, suspensions, and/or the forfeiture of draft choice(s) for violations of the above, including first offenses.”
September 20, 2017, 04:32:32 am Christian40 says: "The most popular Hepatitis B vaccine is nothing short of a witch’s brew including aluminum, formaldehyde, yeast, amino acids, and soy. Aluminum is a known neurotoxin that destroys cellular metabolism and function. Hundreds of studies link to the ravaging effects of aluminum. The other proteins and formaldehyde serve to activate the immune system and open up the blood-brain barrier. This is NOT a good thing."
http://www.naturalnews.com/2017-08-11-new-fda-approved-hepatitis-b-vaccine-found-to-increase-heart-attack-risk-by-700.html
September 19, 2017, 03:59:21 am Christian40 says: bbc international did a video about there street preaching they are good witnesses
September 14, 2017, 08:06:04 am Psalm 51:17 says: bro Mark Hunter on YT has some good, edifying stuff too.
View Shout History
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Armenian Christians say new legislation will increase persecution  (Read 395 times)
Lisa
« on: July 21, 2011, 03:49:17 pm »

YEREVAN/BUDAPEST (Worthy News)– Rights activists and religious groups in Armenia say new legislation will increase intolerance towards the country’s evangelical Christians and other minorities, some of whom already face prosecution for their church activities.

In statements obtained by Worthy News Friday, July 15, they criticized a proposed new ‘Religion Law’ as well as changes to the ‘Law on Relations between the Republic of Armenia and the Armenian Apostolic Church’ and to the Criminal and Administrative Codes.

“In practice they would be used to repress religious organizations,” warned Stepan Danielyan,who represents the Yerevan-based Collaboration for Democracy Center.

“This is a kind of theatrical farce,” added Evangelical Pastor René Leonian in a statement distributed by rights group Forum 18.

He spoke as his colleague, Pentecostal Pastor Vladimir Bagdasaryan, was preparing to hear a possible quilty verdict in a controversial trial.

”ATTACKING” JOURNALISTS

Bagdasaryan was prosecuted for allegedly “attacking” journalists following “false claims” in media that the suspect of killing his parents in the coastal city of Sevan is a Jehovah’s Witness,stressed Forum 18, which closely monitored the case.

The troubles began when priests of the Armenian Apostolic Church allegedly took a Shant TV crew to Sevan’s Pentecostal Church following the November, 2010, murders.

Pastor Bagdasaryan claimed he was told by a priest that they bought the journalists to his churchbecause “the Jehovah’s Witnesses have no property in the town and meet in homes.”

Bagdasaryan said he tried to halt the television crew because they pushed their way up to the second floor after “disrespectfully” asking a church member about her Christian faith.

“Seeing that repeating myself didn’t result in change of their actions, I had to cover the camera with one hand. With my other hand I held the journalist’s arm, leading him towards the exit. Suddenly, the journalist began to cry out ‘why are you hitting me, why are you hitting me?’ when in fact, I was just inviting him out gently holding his arm,” the pastor added in a statement distributed by Forum 18.

POLICE CALLED

He reportedly said the two journalists only left after he called police.

The priests then took the journalists to the, still constructed, nearby Apostolic Church to tell them in an interview that “sects” such as the Pentecostal Church “teach people to kill their parents.”

Armenian Apostolic Bishop Markos Hovhanissian has reportedly confirmed that two priests of his diocese took the Shant TV journalists to the Pentecostal Church in Sevan, but denied they initiated the broadcast.

Christians and rights activists view the case however as a wider, government backed, effort to discredit religious minorities in the former Soviet republic.

Pastor Bagdasaryan said the prosecutor has demanded at the trial that he be convicted and fined 200,000 Drams (about 540 US Dollars) and than be amnestied by the president. “So I won’t actually have to pay a fine, but this means I’ll still be regarded as guilty and have a criminal record,” Pastor Bagdasaryan said. “I feel they’ll find me guilty – everything is moving in that direction.”

http://christianarticles.info/armenia-evangelicals-under-pressure-amid-new-legislation.html
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: