End Times and Current Events
March 28, 2024, 09:21:23 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: "Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me." John 5:39 (KJB)

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

2nd Oklahoma EQ - 5.6 - LARGEST in state's history!

Shoutbox
March 27, 2024, 12:55:24 pm Mark says: Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked  When Hamas spokesman Abu Ubaida began a speech marking the 100th day of the war in Gaza, one confounding yet eye-opening proclamation escaped the headlines. Listing the motives for the Palestinian militant group's Oct. 7 massacre in Israel, he accused Jews of "bringing red cows" to the Holy Land.
December 31, 2022, 10:08:58 am NilsFor1611 says: blessings
August 08, 2018, 02:38:10 am suzytr says: Hello, any good churches in the Sacto, CA area, also looking in Reno NV, thanks in advance and God Bless you Smiley
January 29, 2018, 01:21:57 am Christian40 says: It will be interesting to see what happens this year Israel being 70 years as a modern nation may 14 2018
October 17, 2017, 01:25:20 am Christian40 says: It is good to type Mark is here again!  Smiley
October 16, 2017, 03:28:18 am Christian40 says: anyone else thinking that time is accelerating now? it seems im doing days in shorter time now is time being affected in some way?
September 24, 2017, 10:45:16 pm Psalm 51:17 says: The specific rule pertaining to the national anthem is found on pages A62-63 of the league rulebook. It states: “The National Anthem must be played prior to every NFL game, and all players must be on the sideline for the National Anthem. “During the National Anthem, players on the field and bench area should stand at attention, face the flag, hold helmets in their left hand, and refrain from talking. The home team should ensure that the American flag is in good condition. It should be pointed out to players and coaches that we continue to be judged by the public in this area of respect for the flag and our country. Failure to be on the field by the start of the National Anthem may result in discipline, such as fines, suspensions, and/or the forfeiture of draft choice(s) for violations of the above, including first offenses.”
September 20, 2017, 04:32:32 am Christian40 says: "The most popular Hepatitis B vaccine is nothing short of a witch’s brew including aluminum, formaldehyde, yeast, amino acids, and soy. Aluminum is a known neurotoxin that destroys cellular metabolism and function. Hundreds of studies link to the ravaging effects of aluminum. The other proteins and formaldehyde serve to activate the immune system and open up the blood-brain barrier. This is NOT a good thing."
http://www.naturalnews.com/2017-08-11-new-fda-approved-hepatitis-b-vaccine-found-to-increase-heart-attack-risk-by-700.html
September 19, 2017, 03:59:21 am Christian40 says: bbc international did a video about there street preaching they are good witnesses
September 14, 2017, 08:06:04 am Psalm 51:17 says: bro Mark Hunter on YT has some good, edifying stuff too.
View Shout History
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2nd Oklahoma EQ - 5.6 - LARGEST in state's history!  (Read 1162 times)
Psalm 51:17
Global Moderator

View Profile
« on: November 05, 2011, 08:06:42 am »

Ok, yeah, it's not even a 5, but nonetheless, you can't deny the earth is shaking more than ever now.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsww/Quakes/usb0006k8b.php

11/5/11

Earthquake Details
This event has been reviewed by a seismologist.
Magnitude 4.7
Date-Time Saturday, November 05, 2011 at 07:12:45 UTC
Saturday, November 05, 2011 at 02:12:45 AM at epicenter
Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones

Location 35.570°N, 96.703°W
Depth 4.9 km (3.0 miles)
Region OKLAHOMA
Distances 33 km (20 miles) NE of Shawnee, Oklahoma
67 km (41 miles) W of Okmulgee, Oklahoma
68 km (42 miles) SSE of Stillwater, Oklahoma
75 km (46 miles) E of OKLAHOMA CITY, Oklahoma

Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 12.9 km (8.0 miles); depth +/- 3 km (1.9 miles)
Parameters NST=240, Nph=246, Dmin=90.2 km, Rmss=1.31 sec, Gp= 18°,
M-type=body wave magnitude (Mb), Version=9
Source Magnitude: USGS NEIC (WDCS-D)

Event ID usb0006k8b
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 08:22:55 am »

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/11/06/52-magnitude-earthquake-strikes-oklahoma/?test=latestnews

Damage Reported After 5.6 Magnitude Earthquake Strikes Oklahoma

SPARKS, Okla. –  Oklahomans more accustomed to tornadoes than earthquakes suffered through a weekend of temblors that cracked buildings, buckled a highway and rattled nerves. One quake late Saturday was the state's strongest ever and jolted a college football stadium 50 miles away and was followed early Sunday by a jarring aftershock.

There were no reports in the hours after the quakes of any severe injuries or major devastation.

"That shook up the place, had a lot of people nervous," Oklahoma State wide receiver Justin Blackmon said of the late Saturday quake, the strongest of a series of quakes. "Yeah, it was pretty strong."

Read More
Report Spam   Logged
Mark
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 09:54:16 am »

5.6 MAG ROCKS OKLAHOMA...
http://newsok.com/record-5.6-magnitude-earthquake-shakes-oklahoma/article/3620706?custom_click=lead_story_title

Buckles highway...
http://www.cnn.com/2011/11/06/us/oklahoma-earthquake/?hpt=us_c2

Quake swarm felt as far away as Wisconsin...
http://newsok.com/article/3620738
Report Spam   Logged

What can you do for Jesus?  Learn what 1 person can accomplish.

The Man from George Street
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkjMvPhLrn8
Mark
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 06:10:54 pm »

More Aftershocks Sunday, After Oklahoma's Largest Earthquake Saturday

The weekend's earthquake swarm continues with 14 aftershocks recorded Sunday morning in Oklahoma. The latest aftershock was magnitude of 3.3 recorded at 12:26 p.m. located 10 miles northeast of Shawnee.

These following the strongest quake in the state's history - one with a magnitude of 5.6 -which rocked the stands at the Oklahoma State University game at 10:53 Saturday night.

It could be felt throughout the state and in Kansas, Missouri, Arkansas, northern Texas and some parts of Illinois and Wisconsin, said geophysicist Jessica Turner at the U.S. Geological Survey.

There were no reports in the hours after the quakes of any severe injuries or severe damage.

rest: http://www.news9.com/story/15969352/56-magnitude-earthquake-rattles-oklahoma
Report Spam   Logged

Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011, 06:43:30 pm »

I'm not sure of it's normal or not for OK to get (smaller)EQs, but nonetheless this news is BIG - if you're in OK, this definitely feels like one of those "wake up calls".

It's only a matter of time now before the West Coast gets "the big one", and they're long overdue.
Report Spam   Logged
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2011, 07:13:36 pm »

http://news.yahoo.com/big-quake-follows-increase-oklahoma-rumblings-203947305.html

11/6/11

Oklahoma typically had about 50 earthquakes a year until 2009. Then the number spiked, and 1,047 quakes shook the state last year, prompting researchers to install seismographs in the area. Still, most of the earthquakes have been small.

Report Spam   Logged
seekingtheanswers

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2011, 10:41:45 pm »

I'm not sure of it's normal or not for OK to get (smaller)EQs, but nonetheless this news is BIG - if you're in OK, this definitely feels like one of those "wake up calls".

It's only a matter of time now before the West Coast gets "the big one", and they're long overdue.
oh no. waaaahaaahaaa Cry i live in cali. the big one has been talked about since i could remember.
Report Spam   Logged
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2011, 11:06:37 pm »

oh no. waaaahaaahaaa Cry i live in cali. the big one has been talked about since i could remember.

With all the talk over how California gets labeled as "Sodom and Gomorrah" - being from North Texas, I can honestly say the entire state of Texas isn't any better. There's ALOT of megachurches here(yeah, numerous First Baptist Church's in the state are yoked with Emergent nonsense like Purpose Driven). We've had 3 Presidents(LBJ, Bush Sr, Bush Jr) that have/have had close ties with the Illuminati(the Bush's Skull and Bones and LBJ was the guy that pushed 501c3 through), and the current governor Rick Perry is also helping to implement NWO agendas(ie-he's allowing Obamacare to benefit here, tried to push through the HPV vaccines to young girls, and has yoked up with the New Apostle Reformation people). The public schools here are no different from any other secular, Christ-hating public school. I can go on and on.

Ultimately, I really have no idea why California is the only state that gets painted this way(no, I'm not saying this state is good by any means), but en yet Texas is somehow some "strong Christian" state(FAR from it).

Anyhow, it seems like every time they say CA is imminent to get "the big one", they try to link Sodom and Gomorrah b/c of Hollywood and what's going on in SF. For the record, this entire country is deep in Sodom and Gomorrah(as alot of our high level government officials and influential people you see on the MSM are homosexuals, regardless of where they are from).

With that being said, it wouldn't surprise me if "the big one" happened in another part of the country(ie-New Madrid Fault, Washington state, or even NYC), b/c THAT would catch everyone by surprise, while we all have been conditioned to believe it would happen in CA.
Report Spam   Logged
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2011, 11:41:13 pm »

Well, not trying to derail this thread, but just more proof that Texas isn't this "strong Christian" state everyone makes it out to be. This is just wicked, evil, wicked, evil...

Researchers Creating Ultimate Flu Shot

Dena Rushing from Little Elm has not had the flu in years. “Overall, we’re a very healthy family, and very active,” she said. But it is not because she gets the flu shot. She used to get it, but said that she would always get sick. “I can’t remember a year I didn’t, and then I stopped taking it and I stopped getting the flu.”

Rushing believes that the inactive virus – which makes up the shot – is what is responsible for making her sick. Most doctors say that is not the case. But for her, experience speaks volumes. “We haven’t got it and we haven’t got the flu,” Rushing said.

Now, researchers in North Texas say that this fear could soon become a thing of the past.

“We are in the front line of discovery,” said Dr. Beatrice Fontoura. She and her team at UT Southwestern have discovered a compound that works to fight multiple strains of the flu, including the deadly Spanish Flu that killed millions of people around the world in 1918.

“What we are doing is something different,” said Fontoura, explaining her research. “We are actually stimulating our own response which is already there – boost it – to fight an infection.”

The compound targets a specific protein called REDD-1, which is responsible for helping cells fight infection. The scientists discovered that when there is less REDD-1 protein in a cell, viruses like the flu can invade and corrupt the cell in a matter of hours. But when this compound is added, boosting the presence of the REDD-1 protein, the flu (no matter what strain) is held at bay. “We tested different strains — from less pathogenic strains to highly pathogenic strains,” Fontoura said, “and it worked.”

The current vaccine can often be ineffective, Fontoura said, if the flu virus mutates. This is why so many people who get a flu shot still get sick. However, this new compound would bypass that mutation, using your body – instead of the virus – to fight back.

“It’s very exciting. We’re all excited about it,” Fontoura said. “More is yet to come.”

The general public is still several years away from seeing this compound available at the local drug stores, Fontoura said, but she believes that this is the most promising step yet toward creating the ultimate weapon against the flu.

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2011/11/04/north-texas-researchers-creating-ultimate-flu-shot/

Personally, I think with all these rumors of CA getting "the big one" since 2006(as far back as I can remember), maybe it's nothing more than a distraction b/c Satan's minions have plans to do it elsewhere, where it's least expected by everyone.

With that being said, the fact that Oklahoma got a big scare over the weekend really says something over how as Christians, we really need to be watching. It pains me that Christians around me just scoff when I bring up the end times events prophecized by Jesus(one would even derail the topic by bringing up how Darby and Scofield tried to make it up), and for that matter too they think things are somehow getting better and better. Again, you look at Oklahoma over the weekend(among other things), and these things are coming to pass as scripture says.
Report Spam   Logged
Kilika
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2011, 02:02:00 am »

Yeah, but with God all things are possible, and that is what scares people about the "big one". It could happen well within the tribulation of the end times. As it says, "in divers places".

What I wonder is how much "fracking" in the oil industry is playing into these smaller unusual quakes. Arkansas has had issues with small quakes and fracking, so it makes me wonder seeing there is a huge push for what they call "oil sands".

Could man-caused events be a part of the end times prophecies? I can't say they won't.

Whatever the case, I think we can expect more rumblers before it's all over, and I don't discount the possibility that some of them will be big ones.

"thy will be done in earth..."
Report Spam   Logged
Believer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2011, 04:04:50 am »

11/6/2011 — Evidence that Oklahoma is having a MAN MADE earthquake swarm = induced seismicity (FRACKING)

http://sincedutch.wordpress.com/2011/11/06/1162011-evidence-that-oklahoma-is-having-a-man-made-earthquake-swarm-induced-seismicity-fracking/

I don't know if this is conclusive evidence, but it does make one wonder.  Undecided
Report Spam   Logged
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2011, 09:15:50 am »

http://news.yahoo.com/big-quake-follows-increase-oklahoma-rumblings-203947305.html

11/6/11

Big quake follows increase in Oklahoma rumblings

SPARKS, Okla. (AP) — Clouds of dust belched from the corners of almost every room in Joe Reneau's house as the biggest earthquake in Oklahoma history rocked the two-story building.

A roar that sounded like a jumbo jet filled the air, and Reneau's red-brick chimney collapsed and fell into the roof above the living room. By the time the shaking stopped, a pantry worth of food had been strewn across the kitchen and shards of glass and pottery covered the floor.

"It was like WHAM!" said Reneau, 75, gesturing with swipes of his arms. "I thought in my mind the house would stand, but then again, maybe not."

The magnitude 5.6 earthquake and its aftershocks still had residents rattled Sunday.

Two minor injuries were reported from Saturday's quakes by the Oklahoma Department of Emergency Management, which said neither person was hospitalized. And, aside from a buckled highway and the collapse of a tower on the St. Gregory's University administration building in Shawnee, no major damage was reported.

But the weekend earthquakes were among the strongest yet in a state that has seen a dramatic, unexplained increase in seismic activity.

Oklahoma typically had about 50 earthquakes a year until 2009. Then the number spiked, and 1,047 quakes shook the state last year, prompting researchers to install seismographs in the area. Still, most of the earthquakes have been small.

Saturday night's big one jolted Oklahoma State University's stadium shortly after the No. 3 Cowboys defeated No. 17 Kansas State. Fans were still leaving the game.

"That shook up the place, had a lot of people nervous," Oklahoma State wide receiver Justin Blackmon said.

The temblor sent Jesse Richards' wife running outside because she thought their home was going to collapse. The earthquake centered near their home in Sparks, 44 miles northeast of Oklahoma City, could be felt throughout the state and in Arkansas, Kansas, Missouri, northern Texas and some parts of Illinois and Wisconsin.

Richards estimated it lasted for as much as a minute. One of his wife's cookie jars fell on the floor and shattered, and pictures hanging in their living room were knocked askew.

"We've been here 18 years, and it's getting to be a regular occurrence," said Richards, 50. But, he added, "I hope I never get used to them."

Geologists now believe a magnitude 4.7 earthquake Saturday morning was a foreshock to the bigger one that followed that night. They recorded at least 10 aftershocks by midmorning Sunday and expected more. Two of the aftershocks, at 4 a.m. and 9 a.m., were big, magnitude 4.0.

"We will definitely continue to see aftershocks, as we've already seen aftershocks from this one," said Paul Earle, a seismologist with the U.S. Geological Survey in Golden, Colo. "We will see aftershocks in the days and weeks to come, possibly even months."

Brad Collins, the spokesman for St. Gregory's University in Shawnee, said one of the four towers on its "castle-looking" administration building collapsed in the big earthquake and the other three towers were damaged. He estimated the towers were about 25 feet tall.

"We definitely felt it," Collins said. "I was at home, getting ready for bed and it felt like the house was going to collapse. I tried to get back to my kids' room and it was tough to keep my balance, I could hardly walk."

Scientists are puzzled by the recent seismic activity. It appeared the latest quake occurred on the Wilzetta fault, but researchers may never know for sure. Earthquakes that hit east of the Rocky Mountains are harder to pinpoint because the fault systems are not as well studied as major faults like the San Andreas in California.

Arkansas also has seen a big increase in earthquake activity, which residents have blamed on injection wells. Natural gas companies engaged in hydraulic fracturing, or fracking, use fluid to break apart shale and rock to release natural gas. Injection wells then dispose of the fluid by injecting it back into the ground.

There are 181 injection wells in the Oklahoma county where most of the weekend earthquakes happened, said Matt Skinner, spokesman for the Oklahoma Corporation Commission, which oversees oil and gas production in the state and intrastate transportation pipelines.

But natural gas companies claim there is no proof of a connection between injection wells and earthquakes, and a study released earlier this year by an Oklahoma Geological Survey seismologist seems to back that up. It found most of the state's seismic activity didn't appear to be tied to the wells, although more investigation was needed.

"It's a real mystery," seismologist Austin Holland of the Oklahoma Geological Survey said of the recent shaking.

"At this point, there's no reason to think that the earthquakes would be caused by anything other than natural" shifts in the Earth's crust, Holland said.

Earle said he couldn't comment on the relationship between fracking, injection wells and earthquakes.

Most Oklahoma residents still see earthquakes as anomalies in a state more often damaged by tornadoes. Roger Baker, 52, laughed at the idea of buying earthquake insurance, although the weekend quakes left a 6-foot-long crack several inches deep his yard in Sparks.

"It's just a part of life," he said.

Prague resident Mark Treat, 52, was at the Dollar General store Sunday, buying paper towels in bulk, garbage bins and a broom and mop to begin cleaning up his home. He said the quake hit hard enough to knock dishes, lamps and a TV to the ground and overturn a chest of drawers.

"It busted up a lot of stuff," Treat said. "I can't believe is only was a 5.6."
Report Spam   Logged
Mark
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2011, 06:07:52 am »

4.7 Magnitude Earthquake Shakes Oklahoma

A 4.7 magnitude earthquake shook Oklahoma again at 8:46 p.m. Monday. This is the third large earthquake that rattled the Sooner State in just three days.

11/5/2011 Related Story: More Aftershocks Sunday, After Oklahoma's Largest Earthquake Saturday

11/5/2011 Related Story: 4.7 Magnitude Earthquake, Aftershocks Rumble Through Oklahoma

According to the U.S. Geological Survey, the epicenter of Monday evening's earthquake was five miles northwest of Prague, six miles southeast of Sparks, nine miles east, northeast of Meeker, and 44 miles east of Oklahoma City.

The earthquake was only three miles deep.

News 9 felt it here in our studio in Oklahoma City, and several viewers have posted on our Facebook page saying they felt it too, including folks from Norman, Chickasha, Tulsa, Enid, Wakita, Alva, Guthrie and more.

Remember, you can send in your earthquake pictures at pics@news9.net. We will bring you more information as it becomes available.

http://www.news9.com/story/15982166/another-earthquake-shakes-oklahoma
Report Spam   Logged

Kilika
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2011, 11:34:08 am »

Only 3 miles deep? Wow, that's shallow. Has anybody checked out the frackers to see if their work coincides with the quakes?

Definately gettng a little rumply!
Report Spam   Logged
Mark
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2011, 11:43:20 am »

Only 3 miles deep? Wow, that's shallow. Has anybody checked out the frackers to see if their work coincides with the quakes?

This guy has a lot of info on the fraking possibility

http://forum.prisonplanet.com/index.php?topic=221413.0
Report Spam   Logged

Believer

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2011, 11:47:40 am »

Uhm, yeah, that is what the video I posted was about.
Report Spam   Logged
Kilika
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2011, 11:52:01 am »

That's what I thought! Figures there is a ton of those wells it the area. And normally 50 quakes a year, and last year over 1000 was recorded? Someboidy is covering for the oil industry. They can't tell me they haven't put 2 and 2 together. They GOT to know what's really going on. How could they not? All those abnormal quakes and nobdy investigates? Sure they investigate, and no doubt in my mind they discovered it was the oil industry responsible for those quakes.

There is no telling what damage they are going under ground! Next thing we know, a massive sink hole the size of a whole county will open up, and they'll call it natural causes!  Roll Eyes

http://forum.prisonplanet.com/index.php?topic=221413.msg1312353#msg1312353

...According to the Associated Press, there are 181 such injection wells in the vicinity of Saturday’s Oklahoma quake and Sunday’s aftershocks. AP also reported Oklahoma typically only experienced about 50 earthquakes a year until 2009 when that number spiked dramatically. Last year there were 1,047 small quakes in the area, prompting the installation of seismographs...

http://coloradoindependent.com/105102/oklahoma-earthquakes-raise-more-questions-about-hydrofracking-injection-wells
Report Spam   Logged
Mark
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2011, 12:07:14 pm »

Uhm, yeah, that is what the video I posted was about.

Those were the maps i was looking for. good info there.

11/6/2011 — Evidence that Oklahoma is having a MAN MADE earthquake swarm = induced seismicity (FRACKING)

http://sincedutch.wordpress.com/2011/11/06/1162011-evidence-that-oklahoma-is-having-a-man-made-earthquake-swarm-induced-seismicity-fracking/

I don't know if this is conclusive evidence, but it does make one wonder.  Undecided
Report Spam   Logged

Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2011, 07:19:33 pm »

http://news.yahoo.com/oklahoma-continues-experience-earthquakes-211227995.html

11/28/11

Oklahoma Continues to Experience Earthquakes

Two earthquakes rumbled through central Oklahoma in the early morning hours Sunday. The tremblers are just more in a series of quakes and aftershocks that have been escalating in the state over the last two years.

Recent Earthquake Activity in Oklahoma

The latest earth tremors in central Oklahoma occurred at 2:30 a.m. Sunday near Gerty and 6 a.m. near Luther. The first quake registered 2.1 magnitude and the second was 3.2 in magnitude, according to NewsOK.com.

On Friday, three earthquakes were recorded in the central part of the state: two near Shawnee and one near Prague. These tremors ranged from 2.7 magnitude to 3.3 magnitude. Prague was the epicenter for record-setting 5.6 earthquake on Nov. 5.

On Thursday, a 3.7 quake was recorded in the central part of the state and considered by the U.S. Geological Survey to be an aftershock from the Nov. 5 quake.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Increased Incidence of Oklahoma Earthquake Activity

Until 2009, Oklahoma experienced earthquake activity only intermittently, according to the Oklahoma Geological Survey. 1,047 earthquakes were recorded in the state in 2010, with 695 in Oklahoma County.

Report Spam   Logged
Mark
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2011, 07:19:49 am »

and considered by the U.S. Geological Survey to be an aftershock from the Nov. 5 quake.

Huh what? that is way to far apart. more lies from the government.
Report Spam   Logged

Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2012, 12:06:51 pm »

March 1, 2012 – OKLAHOMA - Just Wednesday afternoon, a 3.0 magnitude earthquake shook the central Oklahoma town of Wellston. Experts tell us the state experienced more than 1,000 quakes last year, with tremors felt by more than 60,000 people across Oklahoma and surrounding states. Seismologists saw a big jump in the number of earthquakes in Oklahoma last year. More than 1,000 quakes were recorded in 2011 — ten times the average number of 100 a year. Last year also produced the strongest quake in the state’s history — a 5.6 magnitude tremor in Lincoln County — in November. Oklahoma Geological Survey Seismologist, Austin Holland says it’s uncommon to see the number of earthquakes jump so drastically. “It’s a little unusual, to see this large uptick, some of that is due to the fact we have more seismic instruments in the state, so the more you listen, the more you’re gonna hear,” Holland said. November 5th, 2011 — an earthquake with a magnitude of 4.7 shook Lincoln County. Just a few hours later, a record 5.6 magnitude quake rocked the county. Several other quakes in that area followed a few days later. “That’s quite normal after a large earthquake like this, you’re gonna have many felt earthquakes afterwards and the number of felt earthquakes falls away with time. And the number of earthquakes in general dissipates with time,” Holland said. Thousands of people from as far north as Wisconsin, to as far south as the Dallas-Fort Worth area felt tremors from that earthquake. Holland says it has something to do with the rocks in the region. “Here in the central U.S., the rocks are colder and older than rocks in western United States, so a same size earthquake can be felt over a broader region in central United States than it is in the western United States.” Holland says there are a few fault-lines running through Texoma and one of them could cause a significant earthquake. “The largest fault that we know of that is capable of producing earthquakes is the Meers fault in southwestern Oklahoma,” Holland says. “So we know there are faults in the area and it’s possible to have large earthquakes in that portion of Oklahoma. The whole area is actually susceptible to earthquakes. There are a few well known fault lines, one is now the Wilzetta fault line, which is just north of Texoma, northeast of the Ada area, and that has been sparking several earthquakes in the past few years.” -KXII

http://theextinctionprotocol.wordpress.com/2012/03/01/oklahoma-sees-record-year-for-number-of-earthquakes/
Report Spam   Logged
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2012, 06:22:59 pm »

This thread deserves a bump too.

Here's one example of quakes this year being ABOVE the normal. No, I'm not saying the next "big one" will be in this state, but just showing an example.

March 1, 2012 – OKLAHOMA - Just Wednesday afternoon, a 3.0 magnitude earthquake shook the central Oklahoma town of Wellston. Experts tell us the state experienced more than 1,000 quakes last year, with tremors felt by more than 60,000 people across Oklahoma and surrounding states. Seismologists saw a big jump in the number of earthquakes in Oklahoma last year. More than 1,000 quakes were recorded in 2011 — ten times the average number of 100 a year. Last year also produced the strongest quake in the state’s history — a 5.6 magnitude tremor in Lincoln County — in November. Oklahoma Geological Survey Seismologist, Austin Holland says it’s uncommon to see the number of earthquakes jump so drastically. “It’s a little unusual, to see this large uptick, some of that is due to the fact we have more seismic instruments in the state, so the more you listen, the more you’re gonna hear,” Holland said. November 5th, 2011 — an earthquake with a magnitude of 4.7 shook Lincoln County. Just a few hours later, a record 5.6 magnitude quake rocked the county. Several other quakes in that area followed a few days later. “That’s quite normal after a large earthquake like this, you’re gonna have many felt earthquakes afterwards and the number of felt earthquakes falls away with time. And the number of earthquakes in general dissipates with time,” Holland said. Thousands of people from as far north as Wisconsin, to as far south as the Dallas-Fort Worth area felt tremors from that earthquake. Holland says it has something to do with the rocks in the region. “Here in the central U.S., the rocks are colder and older than rocks in western United States, so a same size earthquake can be felt over a broader region in central United States than it is in the western United States.” Holland says there are a few fault-lines running through Texoma and one of them could cause a significant earthquake. “The largest fault that we know of that is capable of producing earthquakes is the Meers fault in southwestern Oklahoma,” Holland says. “So we know there are faults in the area and it’s possible to have large earthquakes in that portion of Oklahoma. The whole area is actually susceptible to earthquakes. There are a few well known fault lines, one is now the Wilzetta fault line, which is just north of Texoma, northeast of the Ada area, and that has been sparking several earthquakes in the past few years.” -KXII

http://theextinctionprotocol.wordpress.com/2012/03/01/oklahoma-sees-record-year-for-number-of-earthquakes/
Report Spam   Logged
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2012, 09:17:12 am »

http://theextinctionprotocol.wordpress.com/2012/04/03/4-0-magnitude-earthquake-strikes-oklahoma/

April 3, 2012 – PITTSBURG, Okla. – A magnitude 4.0 earthquake shook southeast Oklahoma at 2:33 a.m. Tuesday. According to the U.S. Geological Survey, the quake was centered in the town of Pittsburg, about 16 miles south-southwest of McAlester and 109 miles east-southeast of Oklahoma City. McAlester police says so far no damage or injuries have been reported. 2NEWS viewers in Tulsa reported feeling the temblor. The USGS says residents in Muskogee, Norman, Broken Arrow, Atoka and Shawnee also reported feeling tremors. On Nov. 5, 2011, a record 5.6 magnitude tremor shook the Sooner state, the strongest quake on record in Oklahoma. The USGS reported that tremors from the quake, centered in Lincoln County, were felt in most of Oklahoma as well as eastern and central Kansas, most of Missouri and Arkansas, north Texas and southeast Nebraska. Aftershocks were felt for weeks. -KJRH
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: