End Times and Current Events
March 19, 2024, 12:47:24 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome To End Times and Current Events.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Homeschool Curriculums: Attack on your children

Shoutbox
December 31, 2022, 10:08:58 am NilsFor1611 says: blessings
August 08, 2018, 02:38:10 am suzytr says: Hello, any good churches in the Sacto, CA area, also looking in Reno NV, thanks in advance and God Bless you Smiley
January 29, 2018, 01:21:57 am Christian40 says: It will be interesting to see what happens this year Israel being 70 years as a modern nation may 14 2018
October 17, 2017, 01:25:20 am Christian40 says: It is good to type Mark is here again!  Smiley
October 16, 2017, 03:28:18 am Christian40 says: anyone else thinking that time is accelerating now? it seems im doing days in shorter time now is time being affected in some way?
September 24, 2017, 10:45:16 pm Psalm 51:17 says: The specific rule pertaining to the national anthem is found on pages A62-63 of the league rulebook. It states: “The National Anthem must be played prior to every NFL game, and all players must be on the sideline for the National Anthem. “During the National Anthem, players on the field and bench area should stand at attention, face the flag, hold helmets in their left hand, and refrain from talking. The home team should ensure that the American flag is in good condition. It should be pointed out to players and coaches that we continue to be judged by the public in this area of respect for the flag and our country. Failure to be on the field by the start of the National Anthem may result in discipline, such as fines, suspensions, and/or the forfeiture of draft choice(s) for violations of the above, including first offenses.”
September 20, 2017, 04:32:32 am Christian40 says: "The most popular Hepatitis B vaccine is nothing short of a witch’s brew including aluminum, formaldehyde, yeast, amino acids, and soy. Aluminum is a known neurotoxin that destroys cellular metabolism and function. Hundreds of studies link to the ravaging effects of aluminum. The other proteins and formaldehyde serve to activate the immune system and open up the blood-brain barrier. This is NOT a good thing."
http://www.naturalnews.com/2017-08-11-new-fda-approved-hepatitis-b-vaccine-found-to-increase-heart-attack-risk-by-700.html
September 19, 2017, 03:59:21 am Christian40 says: bbc international did a video about there street preaching they are good witnesses
September 14, 2017, 08:06:04 am Psalm 51:17 says: bro Mark Hunter on YT has some good, edifying stuff too.
September 14, 2017, 04:31:26 am Christian40 says: i have thought that i'm reaping from past sins then my life has been impacted in ways from having non believers in my ancestry.
View Shout History
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Homeschool Curriculums: Attack on your children  (Read 631 times)
B4Real

View Profile
« on: November 07, 2011, 05:59:34 pm »

I don't know if there is already a topic like this but i wanna talk about homeschool curriculums and christian schools. I am against christian schools all together because it is using the worlds method of splitting up the children from the mother and adding christ to it. But then there is the problem of homeschool curriculums and finding one to use. Abeka program is REPROBATE to the max (don't think so-just look at elementary language arts and if your stomach is strong enough, look at highschool too) another problem is mothers throwing children in front of DVDs for a couple of hours why they chow down or something and then calling the job done, totally ignorant (or careless) about what their child is learning, because Satan is seeping into most fundamental curriculums and getting to the kids right at the start.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 06:01:12 pm by B4Real » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Psalm 51:17
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 06:18:43 pm »

I don't know if there is already a topic like this but i wanna talk about homeschool curriculums and christian schools. I am against christian schools all together because it is using the worlds method of splitting up the children from the mother and adding christ to it. But then there is the problem of homeschool curriculums and finding one to use. Abeka program is REPROBATE to the max (don't think so-just look at elementary language arts and if your stomach is strong enough, look at highschool too) another problem is mothers throwing children in front of DVDs for a couple of hours why they chow down or something and then calling the job done, totally ignorant (or careless) about what their child is learning, because Satan is seeping into most fundamental curriculums and getting to the kids right at the start.

FYI, I went to a Catholic HS. OK, Roman Catholicism is an abomination itself. But with that being said, my Catholic HS's curriculum was no different from the typical public school curriculum, but even worse. In my English classes, we had to read books that had fornication in their plots(ie-Canterbury Tales, Scarlett Letter, and not to mention too Catcher in a Rye was written by a former CIA guy expert in mind control), my Religion class showed a pro-homosexual themed Hollywood movie(and this was in *1989*), and pretty much the entire curriculum felt like they were training Jesuits. And yes, these "Christian" schools(even the "Baptist" ones) are nothing more than mainstream public schools with an outward Christian appearance on it. They pretty much do all the same curriculum the typical public school would do. However, your modern day pastor or Seminary President/professor would make up something like, "But this is important to study these worldly curriculums b/c after all, we are lambs among wolves", blah, blah, blah.

With that being said, parents should largely home school their children in THE BIBLE - didn't the Pilgrims do JUST THAT when they came here to America in their schools?

Seriously, WHAT DECENT FRUIT will come out exposing yourselves to all this literature that deal with violence, fornication, swearing, and pretty much everything in them that the bible condemns? I myself have a Math degree, however, didn't these mathematical concepts(among other scientific concepts throughout the centuries) come from Freemasonry? What's the point of getting your kids to read these History books found in public schools and the bookstore? The NWO minions have rewritten propaganda in them anyways.

Yeah, why waste your time exposing yourselves to all these abominations when it won't bear good fruit on you anyways?
Report Spam   Logged
B4Real

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 05:25:22 pm »

yeah, i also was never homeschooled (been to 10 different schools including colleges) and from coming out of it and expecting something to be different about homeschool curriculums, it was really shocking. But you can't draw the line at fornication, sodomy, violence, etc because Satan is attacking Christians subtly with fiction like talking cars, circus themed workbooks, and smiling numbers. But yea, what more do you need than the Bible. I like what Lester Roloff said, the sweet potato man was known as the most innovative person of his time, knowing hundreds of ways to use a sweet potato. They asked him how he learned so much and he said the Bible. They said "there's no sweet potato in the Bible" he said "yea but the Creator of that sweet potato is and he knows more about it that I ever will"
Report Spam   Logged
B4Real

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2011, 06:03:13 pm »

All the churches really need to be warned that Abeka is not a chrisitan curriculum. I studied English in secular college and graduated from a secular highschool. I shouldn't have been shocked  when I  looked up the middle and highschool curriculums of Abeka, knowing what PCC was teaching in freshmen English and Speech. The English major at PCC studies the same literature as my ungodly reprobate blasphemous degree at NCSU.  Poems by Frost, Dickenson, Hawthorne, Poe memorized in the sixth grade? Hm, sounds like my public middle school. Eleventh grade: the Scarlet Letter? I read that too in eleventh grade, my Buddhist teacher loved to test us on it. Twelfth grade: Macbeth? I acted in this play and won the drama award of my graduating class. It is filthy. Why are Christian schools copying the world, are we trying our hardest to think and act like them? Abeka so sickens me. God is going to bring judgment upon all the FIB churches that think they are so discerning because "we preach against music, pants, & other Bible versions." Blah, blah blah We all love drama. We all make disney-themed musicals for Student Body. We all think nothing is wrong with Greek mythology, suicidal poems, or Robert Liberal Frost because it is just for enjoyment. God said not to study the ways of the heathen or wonder how they think or worship their gods. It is "un"intelligent to be knowledgable in the "classics".  God is serious about a church that is unspotted by the world that rebukes evil and is a watchman against the wiles of the devil. But all the churches have turned aside, with itching ears unto fables. What hope is there for the next generation in America? None. There are no preachers, they are all raised up on Abeka, "crying peace peace" and going home to flip on their fiction. There needs to be an oldfashioned book burning starting with the Abeka books. Something is going to happen because God doesn't let His church blaspheme His name for long. Christians have got to quit being so ignorant.
Report Spam   Logged
Mark
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2016, 07:12:35 pm »

Obama's Education Secretary “Concerned” About Homeschooling

The opening shot in a widely anticipated establishment crackdown on educational freedom may have been fired last week. Speaking at a breakfast with reporters, Obama's controversial Education Secretary, pro-Common Core activist John King (shown), said he was “concerned” that some home-educated children were not getting the “breadth of instructional experience” they would get at a traditional school. While the senior Obama bureaucrat acknowledged that many homeschool families are doing it well, he also repeated the debunked smear that homeschooled children lack opportunities for socialization. Experts and critics, though, promptly lambasted King for his naive or malicious comments, suggesting that, if anything, he ought to be far more concerned about children in public schools. Some experts even offered to help educate Obama's education chief on the issue. 

Secretary King's controversial remarks about home education were made during an event hosted by the Christian Science Monitor. While the Monitor's website did not report about the home-education comments, several other outlets, including Politico, did so. According to Politico, King said he was “concerned” that homeschooled students are not “getting the range of options that are good for all kids.” He also claimed to worry that “students who are homeschooled are not getting kind of the rapid instructional experience they would get in school,” unless parents are “very intentional about it.” He said the “school experience” includes building relationships with “peers, teachers and mentors,” something that he claimed was “difficult to achieve in homeschooling unless parents focus on it.”

More of his anti-homeschooling comments were reported by the Washington Examiner. “I worry that in a lot of cases students who are homeschooled are not getting the kind of the breadth of instruction experience they would get in school, they're also not getting the opportunity to build relationships with peers unless their parents are very intentional about it,” King was quoted as saying in response to a question about home education. “And they're often not getting those relationships with teachers and mentors other than their parents. I do worry whether home school students are getting the range of opportunities we hope for for all kids.”

Despite his supposed concerns, King did concede that he was aware of some homeschooling families who were “doing it incredibly well.” He also said he knew of home-educated students in college who had “very tremendous academic success.” Also, he noted that research showed homeschooling was growing in popularity. Estimates suggest as many as four percent of American children are homeschooled. The number is estimated at close to 2.5 million. For now, at least, King even acknowledged that education decisions are a matter for families to decide. “Obviously, it’s up to families if they want to take a homeschool approach,” he was quoted as saying in media reports. Legally, that is, of course, true — thanks to the hard work of many activists, lawyers, and parents, homeschooling is legal in all 50 states. It is also increasingly mainstream. 

While homeschooling experts and advocates appreciated that King was willing to acknowledge many facts about the success and popularity of home education, they also expressed concerns about King's supposed concerns. One of the leading experts in the field, President Brian D. Ray, Ph.D., of the National Home Education Research Institute (NHERI), countered much of the narrative pushed by King. In an interview with The New American, Ray explained that home-educated students actually have far more options than children in traditional schools.

“What he is saying is just factually incorrect,” Ray said. He pointed to all the options homeschooling families have, including home-education co-ops created by parents to join forces, free and paid tutoring services, mentorships, classes at local libraries, “everything imaginable.”

“It's just not true,” said Ray in response to a question about whether socialization options were more limited for home-educated children. “But even if it were true, why is he [Secretary King] worried about it when we know from 30 years of research that homeschoolers do significantly better academically and socially than those in institutional schools?” Indeed, Ray, who also serves as editor-in-chief of the academic refereed journal Home School Researcher, said there was massive amounts of evidence showing that homeschoolers perform better on essentially every metric — a fact that is increasingly being recognized across America and around the world, and certainly by colleges that are actively recruiting homeschoolers.

There are two possibilities to explain King's dim view of the options available to home-educated children, Ray said. “His comments are based on either a very minimal and skewed understanding of home education, or he is purposely not learning about homeschooling and misrepresenting what happens in homeschooling,” the researcher explained in a phone interview. “And I'm trying to be generous here. The reality is, if you're in public school, in elementary school, you basically get the same teacher every day for the whole year. In middle school, you get different teachers for a little while each day, and you generally do not develop deep relationships with those teachers.”

By contrast, with home education, the possibilities for children and relationships with adults and other children are basically endless. “Most homeschooled parents have their children engaged with a variety of adults — scouts, sports, soccer teams, co-ops, and on and on,” Dr. Ray continued. “It's a rare homeschooled student that doesn't have interactions with a broad range of adults and children. King's also implying that students need to be with 28 other children of their age all day to grow up to be good adults. That is simply untrue.”

Indeed, King omits the fact that the modern understanding of “school” is a relatively recent phenomenon. “He just slapped in the face the large majority of Americans who lived in this country from colonial times up until about 1900,” Ray explained about King's comments. “It was not until then that most of them were in institutional schools for several hours a day for most months. Institutional schooling for the masses was not the norm until 1900 or even later. So he's just ignoring history. He is ignoring the reality of history in America — we had creators, inventors, artists, authors, homemakers, businessmen and women, farmers, and all kinds of successful people socially, emotionally, and intellectually without the institutional schools that he seems to be promoting.”

Perhaps more importantly, even the briefest examination of the federal government's own data shows that, if anything, King ought to be much more concerned about the victims of government education. One in five do not graduate high-school. Less than a third of students in eighth grade can read proficiently, according to the National Assessment of Educational Progress. In places such as Washington, D.C., more than two-thirds of residents over the age of 15 — virtually all of them victims of expensive government schools — are functionally illiterate, according to a State Education Agency report. Decades ago, the National Commission on Excellence in Education noted that if a foreign power had imposed the education regime then exiting in the United States, Americans might have considered it an “act of war.” It is even worse today. 

And yet, King claims to be worried about the one group of students — homeschooled children — that is consistently at the top of the charts socially and academically. According to NHERI, home-educated students typically score 15 to 30 percentile points above public-school students on the government's own standardized tests. And they save taxpayers tens of billions of dollars per year doing it.     

Ray also touched on the absurdity of it all. “His comments, his veiled worries, raise the question: Compared to homeschooling, is he happy with the illiteracy rate coming out of schools, the drug abuse rates, the suicide rates, the rate at which public school students vote, and are interested in learning and reading real books?” Ray wondered. “If he's not happy with most of that — and I'm guessing he's not — what is his point in bringing up a tiny minority of homeschoolers who he thinks might not be doing very well.”

“Furthermore, is he implying that, if that tiny minority of homeschoolers were put in public schools, the public schools guarantee that they would do better?” Ray asked. “I face that in court all the time as an expert witness — the idea that if a child is below average on something, that he or she would be better in a public school. It's simply not true.”

The data backs him up. “We have over 30 years of research showing that homeschoolers do better socially and academically,” Ray said. “Look at how public school students are faring — not very well. Even if somebody wanted to argue that homeschoolers should be more controlled by government, there's no evidence that more regulation improves outcomes. This kind of commenting is really irresponsible. It feeds into the idea that if only government would get more involved and control private schooling, such as Catholic schools, agnostic independent schools, and homeschooling, they could guarantee that all the children could do well academically and socially. That's very misleading.”

Other experts also slammed King's remarks. “While Secretary King had some good things to say about homeschooling, I’m disappointed that his comments imply that public schoolers have a wider range of options in education, which is simply not true,” said Home School Legal Defense Association co-founder and Chairman Michael Farris. “Homeschoolers are far outperforming their public schooled peers, largely due to the fact that parents know what works best for their child instead of implementing an outdated, one-size-fits-all approach that Secretary King appears to favor.” HSLDA said it reached out to King in an effort to introduce him to homeschool leaders, parents, and students.

Whether King's attack is the opening salvo in an upcoming coordinated attack on homeschooling remains to be seen. What is clear, though, is that homeschoolers are doing far better than government-schooled children on every objective metric — and that is probably what has King and others more concerned than anything else. Fortunately, home educators have become an immensely influential political force in recent years and decades. And so, any effort to curtail educational freedom and rights is likely to be met with massive, organized, and fierce resistance.

Instead of being “concerned” about the best educated young Americans, there are many real, legitimate concerns. A far more important concern, for example, is that an unconstitutional bureaucracy is trying to hijack control of education in America from parents and local communities — further damaging millions of kids in the process. Another real concern is that, as this writer and veteran educator Dr. Sam Blumenfeld show in their book Crimes of the Educators, government “education” is permanently handicapping millions of young Americans, including through the use of ineffective “reading” methods debunked as quackery in the 1800s.

With all those real concerns, again, King has no business being “concerned” about home educators. Congress should do its duty by defunding and abolishing the unconstitutional Department of Education he leads as soon as possible.   

http://www.thenewamerican.com/culture/education/item/24162-obama-s-education-secretary-concerned-about-homeschooling
Report Spam   Logged

What can you do for Jesus?  Learn what 1 person can accomplish.

The Man from George Street
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkjMvPhLrn8
Psalm 51:17
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2016, 08:39:15 pm »

I listened to a Reg Kelly sermon over home schooling vs. public schooling recently - pretty much he said that home schooling children is easier said than done. It has to be done carefully AND biblically b/c you WILL come under constant persecution.
Report Spam   Logged
tennis shoe

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2016, 01:49:49 am »

I've used Abeka and found it to be quite good, well rounded curriculum. I didn't detect anything “reprobate”. In fact, if children are going to be exposed to worldly literature, it's best seeing it from a Christian perspective. Science and Math were top notch as was the Writing/Composition.

As far as being a lazy parent “just sitting them in front of a DVD”, I can say that the average school day ran for 9 hours. AFTER my child did the work for the day, it was books on the table, administering and reviewing tests and quizzes for the day, homework check, and review of any fuzzy topics. Also preview assignments for the next day. Because of this, the school day would occasionally be dragged out to 12+ hours, which was grueling for both of us.

IIRC, research papers started early, like 6th grade or so, and continued every year thereafter. This was much more high speed than my public school education. Book reports were constant as well.

On the final year, we were doing school 6 days per week to finish the curriculum earlier.

The biggest gripe we had with Abeka was their blending of patriotism/nationalism with God. They actually have nothing to do with each other.

The hardest part of homeschooling was maintaining discipline, especially when children were young. We had to set up a structured routine to differentiate between school time and play time.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 01:53:23 am by tennis shoe » Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: