End Times and Current Events
March 28, 2024, 03:16:07 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: "Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me." John 5:39 (KJB)

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

NWO/SJ establishment hyping Tim Tebow as a born-again Christian?

Shoutbox
March 27, 2024, 12:55:24 pm Mark says: Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked  When Hamas spokesman Abu Ubaida began a speech marking the 100th day of the war in Gaza, one confounding yet eye-opening proclamation escaped the headlines. Listing the motives for the Palestinian militant group's Oct. 7 massacre in Israel, he accused Jews of "bringing red cows" to the Holy Land.
December 31, 2022, 10:08:58 am NilsFor1611 says: blessings
August 08, 2018, 02:38:10 am suzytr says: Hello, any good churches in the Sacto, CA area, also looking in Reno NV, thanks in advance and God Bless you Smiley
January 29, 2018, 01:21:57 am Christian40 says: It will be interesting to see what happens this year Israel being 70 years as a modern nation may 14 2018
October 17, 2017, 01:25:20 am Christian40 says: It is good to type Mark is here again!  Smiley
October 16, 2017, 03:28:18 am Christian40 says: anyone else thinking that time is accelerating now? it seems im doing days in shorter time now is time being affected in some way?
September 24, 2017, 10:45:16 pm Psalm 51:17 says: The specific rule pertaining to the national anthem is found on pages A62-63 of the league rulebook. It states: “The National Anthem must be played prior to every NFL game, and all players must be on the sideline for the National Anthem. “During the National Anthem, players on the field and bench area should stand at attention, face the flag, hold helmets in their left hand, and refrain from talking. The home team should ensure that the American flag is in good condition. It should be pointed out to players and coaches that we continue to be judged by the public in this area of respect for the flag and our country. Failure to be on the field by the start of the National Anthem may result in discipline, such as fines, suspensions, and/or the forfeiture of draft choice(s) for violations of the above, including first offenses.”
September 20, 2017, 04:32:32 am Christian40 says: "The most popular Hepatitis B vaccine is nothing short of a witch’s brew including aluminum, formaldehyde, yeast, amino acids, and soy. Aluminum is a known neurotoxin that destroys cellular metabolism and function. Hundreds of studies link to the ravaging effects of aluminum. The other proteins and formaldehyde serve to activate the immune system and open up the blood-brain barrier. This is NOT a good thing."
http://www.naturalnews.com/2017-08-11-new-fda-approved-hepatitis-b-vaccine-found-to-increase-heart-attack-risk-by-700.html
September 19, 2017, 03:59:21 am Christian40 says: bbc international did a video about there street preaching they are good witnesses
September 14, 2017, 08:06:04 am Psalm 51:17 says: bro Mark Hunter on YT has some good, edifying stuff too.
View Shout History
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NWO/SJ establishment hyping Tim Tebow as a born-again Christian?  (Read 13406 times)
Psalm 51:17
Global Moderator

View Profile
« on: November 15, 2011, 10:34:36 pm »

I have to side that it's blasphemous - quite simply, be ye not deceived, God is NOT mocked...for we are saved by hope, but hope that is seen is NOT hope...faith is the evidence of things NOT seen...

http://www.christianpost.com/news/tebow-jesus-jerseys-good-faith-promotion-or-blasphemous-61865/

11/15/11

A new Tebow replica jersey is the latest fan item,  CBS News affiliate in Montana, KTVQ, reported. But others are calling the controversial jersey, with the name “Jesus” on the back in place of “Tebow,” blasphemous.

Jason Homer, a native Coloradan currently serving in the missions field in Lima, Peru, said the shirt is “ridiculous.”

“I think it is ridiculous that people are creating Jesus jerseys with Tebow´s number. I like Tebow but that is just wrong,” Homer told The Christian Post. “I do not agree with the way they are using the name of Jesus.”

“It is just disrespectful using his name on a jersey with Tebow’s number.”

Chris Gaudreau of Golden, Colo., agreed.

Like us on Facebook

“It's making Tebow out to be a god instead of an athlete. I'm happy he's a Christian and isn't afraid to demonstrate that, but for fans to hold him up in such high regard, perhaps comparing him to Jesus, is going too far,” Gaudreau said. “There are plenty of athletes who are Christians. Maybe they don't freely pray on the sidelines or use Bible verses on their FB pages, but he is being held in a regard that is probably embarrassing to him, as he seems very humble.”

However, other Christian fans think it’s a good promotion of their faith.

“I think it’s a good idea because it gets Jesus’ name out there,” said Sondra Simmons, a member of Applewood Baptist Church in Wheat Ridge, Colo. “I would think most Christians would be ok with it.”

"To me it just shows a cultural bias against Christ and Christianity," the Rev. Marcus Buckley of Riverside Baptist Church in Greer, Colo., told KTVQ. "It's not saying that he is Christ, it's saying he's trying to demonstrate and live that out and as Christians that's what were supposed to do," Buckley said.

The jerseys are just the latest buzz about the Christian quarterback who has been open about his faith.

Gaudreau said Tebow’s faith is admirable but the jerseys are not.

“I personally like him and the way he conducts himself, and he is a great role model. But, the jersey goes too far,” said Gaudreau.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 01:24:50 pm by Romans 8 » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Kilika
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 01:30:30 am »

Some people just don't understand football and the uniforms, or even sports in general. It's like the person that wants to make the pants long, thinking they are too short! They are made that way!  Roll Eyes

Putting the name of Jesus on there suggests that Jesus played football, which is just stupid. And it does make it look as though it is the name of the person wearing the jersey because most know that player names on the jersey is the last name. So that means they are saying that Denver has a player with the last name "Jesus", or the fan that is wearing it is named Jesus. Whatever, it's stupid and completely disrepsectful by all those who are not named Jesus.

Tebow really needs to step forward on this and make it clear he doesn't support it.

By the way, wouldn't Jesus play for the Saints? And no He doesn't play football, even though some think He plays quarterback already in New Orleans. Roll Eyes

I think it's rather funny how the obvious anti-Christian crowd really has gone after him on his play ability, yet here he is, 3-1 as a starter. Did Orton do that? Nope. And his biggest problem in passing is the complete lack of an offensive line that can actually block, and an offensive scheme that has no clue how to really use the guy effectively.

Many have said he'll never make it as an NFL quarterback. They said Elway was a waste and a failure when he came into the league. They said that Billy Kilmer couldn't throw the ball. Joe Theisman, too small. Same with Doug Flutie, too small. They said Doug Williams couldn't be an NFL quarterback and literally got ran out of Tampa, straight to Washington where he won a Super Bowl MVP trophy! And he couldn't play? Whatever. But then Tampa said Steve Young wasn't worth keeping, and got rid of him to keep Vinny Testeverde. OOPS!
Report Spam   Logged
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011, 08:33:49 am »

Some people just don't understand football and the uniforms, or even sports in general. It's like the person that wants to make the pants long, thinking they are too short! They are made that way!  Roll Eyes

Putting the name of Jesus on there suggests that Jesus played football, which is just stupid. And it does make it look as though it is the name of the person wearing the jersey because most know that player names on the jersey is the last name. So that means they are saying that Denver has a player with the last name "Jesus", or the fan that is wearing it is named Jesus. Whatever, it's stupid and completely disrepsectful by all those who are not named Jesus.

Tebow really needs to step forward on this and make it clear he doesn't support it.

By the way, wouldn't Jesus play for the Saints? And no He doesn't play football, even though some think He plays quarterback already in New Orleans. Roll Eyes

I think it's rather funny how the obvious anti-Christian crowd really has gone after him on his play ability, yet here he is, 3-1 as a starter. Did Orton do that? Nope. And his biggest problem in passing is the complete lack of an offensive line that can actually block, and an offensive scheme that has no clue how to really use the guy effectively.

Many have said he'll never make it as an NFL quarterback. They said Elway was a waste and a failure when he came into the league. They said that Billy Kilmer couldn't throw the ball. Joe Theisman, too small. Same with Doug Flutie, too small. They said Doug Williams couldn't be an NFL quarterback and literally got ran out of Tampa, straight to Washington where he won a Super Bowl MVP trophy! And he couldn't play? Whatever. But then Tampa said Steve Young wasn't worth keeping, and got rid of him to keep Vinny Testeverde. OOPS!

Don't forget about Tony Romo, Michael Vick, and Eli Manning - Romo was just an undrafted free agent coming out of a small college, he's panned out nicely(even though he can be unpredictable, see the Detroit game a few weeks ago). Everyone said Vick was finished after his ordeal a few years ago, he's actually become a better QB now. And everyone said Eli was just a shadow of his brother Peyton. Of course, it remains to be seen if the 1st 2 guys can win a Super Bowl. It's also funny how the QB either gets all the credit, or all the blame, but other parts of the team like the playcalling by coaches, OL play, defense play, etc play a big part of the success/failure.(ie-Vick's Eagles are 3-6 b/c of their porous defense)

Anyhow, yeah, that's no way to witness the gospel of Jesus Christ, by putting his name on some jersey, or for that matter, it's equally as dumb to make bumper stickers on cars, imho. B/c ultimately, it's the HEART that defiles the man.
Report Spam   Logged
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2011, 07:41:05 pm »

Hey Kilika, did you watch the game last night, by any chance?

During the game, they showed pictures of fans that were imitating Tebow's "one knee down" thing. There were fans doing it at Stonehedge(that pagan place of sun worship), the Vatican, among other places. Now THIS is definitely something Tebow needs to ADDRESS. As Christians, we are supposed to defend the faith that was once delivered to the saints, b/c what his fans were imitating is a form of idolatry, and superstition/rituals as well. Also, IMHO, the whole "one knee down" TT does(after TD celebrations et al) seems like another ritual to me.
Report Spam   Logged
Kilika
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2011, 03:16:00 am »

Yeah, well, at least the first half. The wife wasn't interested, so we watched something else. What can you say? I've watch this kid do this stuff since his freshman year at Florida. He's a talent the NFL hasn't seen before. And the whole throwing thing is typical NFL arrogance. They always crow about the perfect quarterback, that doesn't exist. They compare them to players like Manning, or Brees, or even Elway. Tebow is none of those guys. He's Tim Tebow.

Why there is such a stir about him is one reason; his religion.

Bottom line, Christ is preached. The kid has done an amazing job handling all the media and attention. And contrary to what the haters think, he's in the NFL to stay, as a quaterback.

As for the "Tebowing", I agree, I think he needs to say something. It's an opportunity to preach sound doctrine to those who don't know that doing that is mocking him and his religion.

That said, Tebow needs to make some changes himself. The public display of worship, the endzone prayer, etc is what I believe Jesus railed against about the Pharisee. Standing on the street corners praying out loud and in public to be seen of men as religious. Conversing with God is a personal thing to be done in private.

I agree, it is ritualistic in a way, but we all have a tendency to be ritualistic in our own way of worship. I even have thought isn't praying every day a ritual itself? So I don't try to worry over it. Like Paul, "I therein do rejoice, yea, and will rejoice".

I know one thing, He has the "experts" scratching their heads now after Thursday's game. They can't believe he's 4-1 as a starter and "can't throw". After the game the NFL network interviewed him. Dion Sanders, Michael Irvin, Steve Mariuchi, and a couple others were there, and they all were amazed at the game he played and how he brought Denver from behind again to win. All of them were really trying to make sense of what they had just witnessed. NONE of them predicting Denver would win. They all said Denver didn't have a chance. OOPS!

I read about a dozen articles on the game, and virtually all of them are now singing a little different tune about Tebow. People are starting to believe that just maybe the guy can play afterall. DUH! Rex Ryan for the Jets was beside himself, saying they knew exactly what Tebow would do, and they still couldn't stop him.

I just pray Jesus will keep the kid focused on what'a important in life. So far, he seems to have his head in the right place, regardless of his churchianity background.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 03:19:17 am by Kilika » Report Spam   Logged
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2011, 11:32:42 pm »

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Plummer-on-Tebow-8216-When-he-accepts-that-we?urn=nfl-wp12281

11/21/11

Plummer on Tebow: ‘When he accepts that we know that he loves Jesus Christ, I think I’ll like him a little better.

From 2003 through 2006, Jake "The Snake" Plummer helped the Denver Broncos to a 39-15 record, throwing 71 touchdowns and 47 interceptions and making the Pro Bowl in 2005. He was probably the best bridge Mike Shanahan had between John Elway and Jay Cutler(notes), and he left the game after Shanahan decided to go after Cutler in the 2006 NFL draft, and Plummer was traded to Tampa Bay after that season.

Plummer was recently asked about Denver's latest quarterback, some fellow by the name of Tebow — you know, the guy who can't seem to consistently throw the ball, but who has the Broncos on a winning track nonetheless.

"I'm telling you, I came in at the wrong time down there," Plummer told Phoenix's XTRA Sports 910. "He is a winner, though. I like that because I think the town and the fans and everybody there — they are craving a winner. They lost one when I was run out of town. I don't have to say it. We won a lot of games when I was playing. It wasn't all me. The team was Rod Smith, John Lynch, all those guys. I had some ballers that could play. I didn't do it all, but we won and I think you can see [that] with [Tim] Tebow. He knows he's not the only cog down there as a piece of that puzzle that is making them win and helping them win."

And then, Plummer dropped the bomb. "Tebow, regardless of whether I wish he'd just shut up after a game and go hug his teammates, I think he's a winner and I respect that about him.  I think that when he accepts the fact that we know that he loves Jesus Christ then I think I'll like him a little better.  I don't hate him because of that, I just would rather not have to hear that every single time he takes a good snap or makes a good handoff…like you know, I understand, dude, where you're coming from ... but he is a baller. He knows how to win and when your teammates believe in you that you can do good things and that's what they are doing. They are winning. That's fun to see."

No doubt it will be less fun for Plummer when he gets hammered by the pro-Tebow crowd, though he seems to be the type of guy who doesn't really care what others think. And in the end, Plummer believes that Tebow will figure it out — right now, it's on every defense he faces to figure out whatever option packages are being served up by John Fox's coaching staff.

Read more

« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 11:38:16 pm by BornAgain2 » Report Spam   Logged
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2011, 11:36:05 pm »

Well, to be frank, I'm rather surprised Tebow's faith has caused a bit of a rift with fans, players, media, etc.

Remember Joe Gibbs(former Washington Redskins coach) - he was a professing Christian, but it wasn't like the Redskins fan base was divided over this(and for that matter too, you didn't hear Dallas Cowboys fans mock his faith). I believe Tom Landry was a professing Christian too, but didn't hear any rift either.

Ditto Kurt Warner(although some started to mock his faith when he went back to ordinary after that big 3 year run in St. Louis with those Super Bowls, MVPs, etc).
Report Spam   Logged
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2011, 10:09:31 pm »

Take into consideration whos' saying that stuff. Plummer? Not exactly a Hall oF Famer. One Pro Bowl, and he's suddently an expert on who can make it in the NFL? If Plummer was all that he would  have not been traded.

Starting his career in Arizona sure didn't help either. Personally, this whole "debate" in the MSM over Tebow's faith is starting to turn a whole lot of nonsense.

As for the NFL - I like watching the games, but at the same time, the whole thing just feels rigged. You have teams coming out of nowhere winning the Super Bowl, then just fall back and do nothing for years after(and this goes for other leagues as well). You have teams like Dallas, Washington, and San Francisco that would win them almost every year for awhile, now for the last many years they've done nothing, while teams like Philadelphia and San Diego continue to be in the hunt every year, but come up with nothing. And almost every year these "mysterious injuries" would pop up, that would have everyone buzzing, but no answers would come about(ie-I saw the San Diego/Chicago game, and there wasn't a nil of proof Jay Cutler broke anything, but somehow the media didn't break this story until very late in the day - you would have thought these "analysts" and bloggers would have jumped on this immediately).

And you also have these unheard-of, undrafted/low drafted players like Tony Romo that just come out and emerge to "elite" status. Romo has also dated these Illuminati-mind controlled celebs during his tenure here in Dallas as well.

But that's just me - 100 years from now when we're all dead(and in heaven), none of this will matter.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 10:13:24 pm by BornAgain2 » Report Spam   Logged
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2011, 07:06:56 pm »

I know one thing, He has the "experts" scratching their heads now after Thursday's game. They can't believe he's 4-1 as a starter and "can't throw". After the game the NFL network interviewed him. Dion Sanders, Michael Irvin, Steve Mariuchi, and a couple others were there, and they all were amazed at the game he played and how he brought Denver from behind again to win. All of them were really trying to make sense of what they had just witnessed. NONE of them predicting Denver would win. They all said Denver didn't have a chance. OOPS!

He's 6-1 as a starter now.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 07:19:57 pm by BornAgain2 » Report Spam   Logged
Kilika
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2011, 01:16:42 am »

Yeah, and a QB rating of 149! And still only one interception. ONE. Yet they say the guy can't play in the NFL! Somebody disagrees. Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged
Mark
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2011, 08:17:56 am »

Never put any man on a pedestle as he will fall off every time. Only Jesus deserves that spot as he will never fall off.
Report Spam   Logged

What can you do for Jesus?  Learn what 1 person can accomplish.

The Man from George Street
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkjMvPhLrn8
Kilika
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2011, 12:04:41 pm »

Uh, yeah, that's obvious. But some people have no god other than their sports stars. That's why this story is more than just a sports story. It's a testament against everybody that opposes what Tebow is doing in sharing his faith. Which scripture does say "as using this world, and not abusing it..."

While we may be servants to a man, we still are called to preach the gospel and to serve God while in that job, regardless of where or when, and in that respect, Tebow is being a witness. No one is perfect except our Lord Jesus. This is where Tebow has a responsibility to remind people not to worship his football abilities, but to worship Jesus.

To be honest, he doesn't have to play, and in fact scripture is calling him out of football and the world in general. But we need to keep in mind that guy is just a kid, maybe 22-23, and he preaches Jesus more than the vast majority of the public. That's something to rejoice over.

As strange as this may sound, I'd rather people be looking to a football player that is serious about his faith, than a preacher in some building that is suppose to know but instead is leading their flock straight to hell. At least the football player isn't elevating himself to be some expert on the Christian faith, but rather simply sharing what he believes.

Seriously, look at some of the other players in the NFL and what a disaster of a human being they are. Even though watching football isn't exactly edifying, those people that are still in that world are called just like us to share what they have been given, and I think Tim Tebow has been a more edifying example to the public than many players in the NFL.

"Thus saith the LORD; Cursed [be] the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeth from the LORD." Jeremiah 17:5 (KJB)
Report Spam   Logged
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2011, 12:50:15 pm »

As strange as this may sound, I'd rather people be looking to a football player that is serious about his faith, than a preacher in some building that is suppose to know but instead is leading their flock straight to hell. At least the football player isn't elevating himself to be some expert on the Christian faith, but rather simply sharing what he believes.

Seriously, look at some of the other players in the NFL and what a disaster of a human being they are. Even though watching football isn't exactly edifying, those people that are still in that world are called just like us to share what they have been given, and I think Tim Tebow has been a more edifying example to the public than many players in the NFL.

"Thus saith the LORD; Cursed [be] the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeth from the LORD." Jeremiah 17:5 (KJB)

I don't get to watch the Broncos games b/c quite simply, I'm in North Texas where they play the Cowboys every week(and the Giants, Eagles, Redskins, Texans, and the "elite" AFC teams like New England/Pittsburgh). So really don't know much about Tebow.

However, for the most part, alot of these sports stars that profess themselves to be Christians(ie-Kurt Warner and Tebow's Denver teammate Brian Dawkins), my big gripes with them are, 1) They don't confess Jesus's name, 2) If they do, they don't do it properly, and 3) When they hit hard times, they become dead silent. Kurt Warner is a prime example - when his Rams won the Super Bowl many years ago, he started saying things like how it was God's will for the Rams to win the Super Bowl. To his credit though, he did a decent job witnessing Christ's name during the Ram's 3 year run. But when the Rams started going south after their great 3 year run(and ultimately lost his starting job), you just didn't hear a peep from him anymore.

And there was one recent former Cowboys player(Quincy Carter) that was a professing Christian, but after he retired, he continued to get arrested for drugs(something that plagued him since college).

Anyhow, like said, I don't know much about Tebow, but if he's bearing good fruit, then EXCELLENT. Let's just pray he continues to do so.
Report Spam   Logged
Mark
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2011, 12:57:17 pm »

ah, sure. But this guy is being propped up and when he falls off it is going to be an example of all Christians. Im sorry but his little finger waving at the sky isnt very helpful. His public displays benifit him nothing. Is he a pharrisee praying on the corner ripping his clothes and throwing dust on his head? or is he humble and does things in secret for the Lords benefit only?

christianity 101 here folks.
Report Spam   Logged

Kilika
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2011, 03:15:16 pm »

ah, sure. But this guy is being propped up and when he falls off it is going to be an example of all Christians. Im sorry but his little finger waving at the sky isnt very helpful. His public displays benifit him nothing. Is he a pharrisee praying on the corner ripping his clothes and throwing dust on his head? or is he humble and does things in secret for the Lords benefit only?

christianity 101 here folks.

Now that is a good observation. I agree totally. Looking to be "seen of men". I hear ya bro! And the open prayer displays I have issue with as well.

I guess what I'm saying is that it isn't edifying but it's where he's at now. And Christ is preached ultimately, and that is what we rejoice over. None of us are perfect in our own ministry, right? We all have issues of some sort, and the one that claims they don't I call a liar who is deluded, so while he could be more edifying in his walk, it is where he is for now. Who knows how it will turn for somebody out there. God knows.

If he were to ask me how he should act, I'd be compelled to tell him to leave football and the world behind, and go full time doing the work of an evangalist.

And truth be told, if we were to COMPLETELY withdraw from the world, first, where do we go to seperate like that? There is no place to go, or we "must needs go out of the world"...

"I pray not that thou shouldest take them out of the world, but that thou shouldest keep them from the evil." John 17:15 (KJB)

9   I wrote unto you in an epistle not to company with fornicators: 
10   Yet not altogether with the fornicators of this world, or with the covetous, or extortioners, or with idolaters; for then must ye needs go out of the world. 
11   But now I have written unto you not to keep company, if any man that is called a brother be a fornicator, or covetous, or an idolater, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner; with such an one no not to eat. 
12   For what have I to do to judge them also that are without? do not ye judge them that are within? 
13   But them that are without God judgeth. Therefore put away from among yourselves that wicked person. 
1 Corinthians 5:9-13 (KJB)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 03:17:33 pm by Kilika » Report Spam   Logged
Kilika
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2011, 03:46:19 pm »

18   And a certain ruler asked him, saying, Good Master, what shall I do to inherit eternal life? 
19   And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? none [is] good, save one, [that is], God. 
20   Thou knowest the commandments, Do not commit adultery, Do not kill, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Honour thy father and thy mother. 
21   And he said, All these have I kept from my youth up. 
22   Now when Jesus heard these things, he said unto him, Yet lackest thou one thing: sell all that thou hast, and distribute unto the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, follow me. 
23   And when he heard this, he was very sorrowful: for he was very rich.
Luke 18:18-23 (KJB)
Report Spam   Logged
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2011, 10:28:01 pm »

Mat 6:19  Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal:
Mat 6:20  But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal:
Mat 6:21  For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also

Pastor’s comments do Tebow a disservice

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=dw-wetzel_tim_tebow_pastor_faith_121211

Tim Tebow’s pastor, Wayne Hanson, says he knows why the Denver Broncos are 7-1 since installing Tebow as quarterback – it’s the player’s faith.

“It’s not luck,” Hanson said according to TMZ. “Luck isn’t winning six games in a row. It’s favor. God’s favor.”

Hanson, who runs the Summit Church in suburban Denver, said the Broncos wouldn’t be winning games if God hadn’t decided to reward Tebow’s religious beliefs.

Comments like these aren’t helping Tim Tebow. And they aren’t helping gain acceptance for the faith Tebow is willing to serve as public representative.

If anything, this is a moment when the pastor ought to take a lesson from his follower, who has consistently rejected such proclamations.

Tebow’s commitment to Evangelical Christianity is well known and his displays of that faith are often public. However, he’s never said God is deciding who wins football games, other than when joking about an opponent’s miscue.

Tebow doesn’t even want people to credit him for all the winning.

[ Related: Run by Tim Tebow, Broncos defy logic]

“I don’t think it’s Tebow Time,” he said Sunday of the late game comebacks Denver keeps rattling off. “I think it’s the Broncos Time.”

This is the beauty and brilliance of Tim Tebow. He puts his faith on display, but never seems to get too direct about it. He shrugs off criticism. He even jokes about it. He is unfailingly polite, accepting of doubters and moderate in his proclamations.

“If you believe, unbelievable things can sometimes be possible,” is about as bold as he gets.

Very few people, even the ultra religious, believe God cares about the result of a football game. There are plenty of believers on the other teams also.

There is no question that Tebow’s faith has played a role in his success. It’s a part of him. It’s what works for him. It’s what drives him. It’s what provides the confidence to overcome all odds – be it in the fourth quarter or in offseason preparation. All the great ones have that and Tebow derives his from his religion.

That’s a powerful message and, it appears, the one that Tim Tebow wants put out there.

This is what works for me, he is saying. This is how I do it. This is what has shaped me as both a successful player on the field and an undoubtedly polite and respectful person off of it.

If you want to give it a shot, then come join me.

And he pretty much leaves it at that. You don’t have to be religious at all to enjoy Tim Tebow the football player, the role model or the well-meaning star.

While he’s aggressive in his missionary work overseas, for the most part his public offerings, especially since joining the NFL, are extremely reasonable. He’s even laughed off opponents “Tebowing” after sacking him. There doesn’t appear to be a confrontational bone in his body – other than his willingness to lower his shoulder in the open field.

Isn’t that how you want people of other religions, or non-believers, to act?

In 2010, Tebow and his mother Pam were featured in a Super Bowl commercial paid for by the group Focus on the Family, which, among other things, espouses pro-life positions. Pam Tebow says when she was pregnant with Tim, doctors advised her to have an abortion due to potential complications. She declined and the rest is history.

While there was great controversy in the run up to the commercial, it turned out to be apolitical, never mentioning abortion or religion. It wasn’t offensive. It merely offered a website at the end so anyone interested could find out the “full story.”

Religion is said to be the third rail of politics. Many people don’t want it involved in sports at all – they’d prefer to compartmentalize it. Besides, in a country that is hyper-partisan and divided in so many ways, one of the great things about the NFL is its ability to provide common grounds for people of all religions, races, ages, sexes and socioeconomic backgrounds.

Tebow seems to understand that, seems determined to express his personal faith in the most benign and welcoming way possible.

It’s his pastor, and any number of others trying to ride in Tebow’s wake, that takes it a step further.

In a non-religious – and albeit somewhat forced – comparison, what Tebow is doing is similar to what Michael Vick did last year. Vick had come out of prison to deliver a series of electrifying victories to the Philadelphia Eagles. Like Tebow, he was offering a message to the masses.

No less than President Obama issued a statement noting Vick proved that “individuals who have paid for their crimes should have an opportunity to contribute to society again.”

Vick preferred to lay low and let his game, and new attitude, speak for him. He remained mindful of his mistakes and respectful of those who still found fault with him. You could hate what he did, but not what he was doing.

Maybe he won some people over. Maybe he didn’t. That he had the opportunity is the pedestal the NFL can provide.

Tebow is doing the same. He’s the first to say the Broncos are winning games because of a hellacious defense, a team-first concept and a tremendous level of trust in each other. While the quarterback’s unorthodox style and calm play under pressure has proven particularly difficult for defenses (often zone) to stop late in games, Tebow knows football is the ultimate team sport.

It’s been a magical ride and one, no doubt, that has aided the image of, and interest in, Evangelical Christianity. A likeable spokesman will always do that.

This is no time for a pastor to claim this is anything more than it is and undermine the entire thing.

Report Spam   Logged
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2011, 10:30:24 pm »

And yes, Tebow is saying the right things how football is a TEAM sport. The Broncos D is playing a big part in their run. Or look at the Houston Texans - despite all their key injuries, everyone is stepping up to make plays. On the flip side, look at teams like the Dallas Cowboys and Philadelphia Eagles, who keep blowing leads late in games.
Report Spam   Logged
Kilika
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2011, 01:09:02 am »

I don't get the article about his pastor doing him a disservice. That makes no sense. It's obvious the author of that article has no idea what Christinity is all about. His pastor said it correct; it's God doing it.

Some people really don't get it.
Report Spam   Logged
Mark
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2011, 05:52:05 am »

Tim Tebow’s pastor, Wayne Hanson, says he knows why the Denver Broncos are 7-1 since installing Tebow as quarterback – it’s the player’s faith.

“It’s not luck,” Hanson said according to TMZ. “Luck isn’t winning six games in a row. It’s favor. God’s favor.”

really? Is Tebow the ONLY Christian in the NFL? Or is he the only one that is making a spectacle of his faith and being prompted up on a stool? So according to this pastor Tebow is being singled out by the Lord Jesus and no other Christians on the field are? The Lord is a Bronco fan? I find that hard to believe.

This kid is being propped up for all of Christianity and he is being set up for the big fall off that stool he standing on. Now us as true Christians will be willing to forgive him when he falls as that is what we do by the Lords Grace. But the Media is going to spin this like crazy.

And what happens this week when they loose 34 to probably nothing? Is Jesus now a Patriots fan? This guy needs to stop his public displays and wipe the ashes off his head pick up his ripped jersey and go into a closet for a while and pray there.
Report Spam   Logged

Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2011, 08:07:36 am »

I don't get the article about his pastor doing him a disservice. That makes no sense. It's obvious the author of that article has no idea what Christinity is all about. His pastor said it correct; it's God doing it.

Some people really don't get it.

Like Mark was saying, Tebow's pastor makes no sense in saying that the Broncos are 7-1 b/c of the Lord's doing and rewarding Tebow for his faith. But at the same time, Tebow's pastor seems to forget all those martyred Christians during the Dark Ages/Protestant Reformation, and for that matter our Apostles like Paul and Peter were martyred for their faith. And to throw this out there too, Christians, especially in poor countries in Africa and the ME, are getting thrown in jail and beaten/martyred for their faith.

Tebow's pastor should know that the Pittsburgh Steelers's owners(Rooney's) are Knights of Malta members, but en yet they have SIX Super Bowl trophies. Or how about the New England Patriots coach? Didn't he cheat once upon a time ago(with that Spygate scandal)? But en yet his team keeps on winning? Isn't the New Orleans Saints coach a Roman Catholic, but en yet has a Super Bowl title to his credit recently? Michael Vick became a born again Christian after he went through his ordeal, while are his Eagles 5-8 this year?

Like Dok said, once the Broncos fall like a rock, they media will really pull a frenzy over this. Remember how the media and fans pulled a frenzy when Kurt Warner's St. Louis Rams fell like a rock after their 3 year run over a decade ago.
Report Spam   Logged
Kilika
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2011, 02:26:57 pm »

Indeed he will get blasted by the unbelieving when he looses a game. That's a given. But something tells me he knows that.

You know the media, they jump on a story that people are interested in, so Tebow is the latest storyline. Believers want him to succeed and unbelievers are drooling at the chance to point the finger and mock God. That's how it's always been. Nothing new.

As an aside, tell me what the difference is in playing professional football and being an accountant? Or an auto mechanic? NOTHING. So who really gets to point the finger at the guy?

The point is none of us are perfect in our worship. And I do believe God rewards those who put Him first and glorify His name. The guy isn't acting that way because he plays football, it's because how he believes, and it so happens he's plays football.

Is he set up for a fall? In a way don't we all set ourselves up? So long as a person is playing in the world, they are at risk of a big fall.

[Is Tebow the ONLY Christian in the NFL? Or is he the only one that is making a spectacle of his faith and being prompted up on a stool? So according to this pastor Tebow is being singled out by the Lord Jesus and no other Christians on the field are?

I don't think the pastor is saying that Mark. It's just an opportunity to highlight worshipping Jesus. Some are propping him up, buthow is this any different than any other time? Tebow is winning, regardless of what the experts say about his technique as a quarterback, and that has got people talking. His faith adds to the discussion.

Some who don't believe don't know what to make of the guy. All indications are that he should not be winning. Yet here he is, winning. I like to think God is playing a part in it.

I've seen a lot of players over the years that show some kind of religion after a touchdown, but their walk is far from Christian. They to me are posers. Tebow I don't believe is a poser, and would be the way he is regardless of what he did for a job. He comes across to me as genuine, however offtrack he may be on some doctrinal points. Not all players appear to me to be for real.

Maybe misguided by worldly influences, but I think he's the real deal. And I can't help but say it's refreshing to see somebody like him come close to acting like a Christian should in such a public position and not be a precher from some mega church.

34-0? Uh that won't happen! Not even close bro. The Patriots ain't seen nothing like this guy! Sorry, but I think Brady will come out looking silly, and it won't be Tebow doing it, it will be the Bronco's defense. By the way, the Patriots are like nearly last in pass defense. OOPS! Tebow could have a huge day. God willing.

Regardless of Tebow, the Broncos are for real. They aren't riding Tebow for sure. That team is much better than people are giving them credit for. Tebow doesn't play defense, and the defense has been getting it done. If Tebow played as good as they say he should in the NFL, they'd win the Super Bowl.

And you are correct BA, the Patriots were caught red-handed cheating, spying on at east two other teams. And not a thing happened out of it. So yeah, I get your point there! So if nothing else, just for that, GO BRONCOS!

When this guy came on the scene back at Florida as a freshman, and I saw him play for the first time, I had little doubt he would win a Heisman and a national championship. I was wrong, he won 2 national championships, and nearly 2 Heismans but the commettiee just couldn't bring themselves to give him a second one in a row. The problem was that he didn't have the record-setting season he did the previous year, so he came across as somehow failing.

I don't prop the guy up, but rejoice over his ministry. While he is affected by churchianity, still Christ is preached. And in everything we are to give thanks. Thank you Jesus. Glorify thy name.

"What then? notwithstanding, every way, whether in pretence, or in truth, Christ is preached; and I therein do rejoice, yea, and will rejoice." Philippians 1:18 (KJB)
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 02:28:40 pm by Kilika » Report Spam   Logged
Kilika
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2011, 04:11:50 am »

Yeah the latest thing is Tebow, and everybody in the media was all over it for Sunday's game. Well, the game is over, the Broncos lost, and Tebow didn't look like a total rookie, just a normal rookie.

The rest of the team was the letdown, though Tebow fumbled twice and lost one. They lost 2 other fumbles. So they lost 3 out of 4 fumbles, though no interceptions. That's not good, espcially against the Patriots. And the defense in general didn't play very well. Brady had a field day. I'm glad though it was as "normal" a game as any.

It definately wasn't 34-0. It was actually a pretty normal game. The better team won for sure.

And of course as we were talking about broadcast rights, we here in Arizona didn't see the game. We got to watch the Arizona Cardinals pull off an OT win.
Report Spam   Logged
Mark
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2011, 06:03:00 am »

It definately wasn't 34-0. It was actually a pretty normal game. The better team won for sure.

Some one is really grumpy over that 34-0 remark.

Cheesy  Wink
Report Spam   Logged

Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2011, 08:36:05 am »

Yeah the latest thing is Tebow, and everybody in the media was all over it for Sunday's game. Well, the game is over, the Broncos lost, and Tebow didn't look like a total rookie, just a normal rookie.

The rest of the team was the letdown, though Tebow fumbled twice and lost one. They lost 2 other fumbles. So they lost 3 out of 4 fumbles, though no interceptions. That's not good, espcially against the Patriots. And the defense in general didn't play very well. Brady had a field day. I'm glad though it was as "normal" a game as any.

And of course as we were talking about broadcast rights, we here in Arizona didn't see the game. We got to watch the Arizona Cardinals pull off an OT win.

B/c the Cowboys played the Sat night game, we got a bunch of the other Sun games here in North Texas, one of them being Broncos/Pats(we also got Redskins/Giants and Bengals/Rams) - saw most of the game, and pretty much Denver lost b/c of MANY plays by the entire team, not just one or 2 guys in particular(ie-the muffed extra point at the beginning, penalties, the muffed punt at the end of the 1st half that lead to a Pats FG, the Brian Dawkins injury in the secondary hurt and had to play with rookies, the turnovers of course, and many other factors to poke holes through - /shrugs, I guess it all happens every now and then). Overall, yes, the Pats were by far the better team. Or if they want to go the Wade Phillips route, "The BETTER team LOST".
Report Spam   Logged
Kilika
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2011, 12:16:46 pm »

Some one is really grumpy over that 34-0 remark.

Cheesy  Wink

Nah, but I had no right to say it wouldn't be 34-0, so in that respect I repent. I had no idea, none of us did, how it would go actually.

By the way, it might be more edifying if you didn't poke people with sticks! The rod is much more effective.  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2011, 05:11:46 pm »

Nah, but I had no right to say it wouldn't be 34-0, so in that respect I repent. I had no idea, none of us did, how it would go actually.

Which is why gambling on games is a NO-NO - you just don't know what the outcomes will be, no matter how lopsided the matchups are. A turnover here, a few more penalties there, a coach getting too aggressive with playcalling there, a miscue here, etc, etc could be more than enough to swing momentum of games.

For example, when Seattle played Dallas here in NT over a month ago, Dallas had a 17 point 4th quarter lead, however, for some reason, Seattle decided to take their time instead of the hurry-up, and they ended up scoring a late TD to cut it to 10. No, Seattle wasn't going to win the game as it turned out they had very little time on the clock when all was said and done(which was why everyone was mystified they didn't go hurry-up), HOWEVER, Dallas was favored by 11, which meant a mere 10 point win allowed SEATTLE to cover the spread...so ultimately, all those people(probably the majority) who bet on Dallas got hosed.

Again, like I said earlier, not all, but it appears some of these games have "rigged" all over them. I mean somehow Houston keeps winning all these games despite the fact they don't have their QB and his backup, their best pass rusher, their best WR, an OL, among other key injuries that would shut the door on any team's season.
Report Spam   Logged
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2011, 07:42:07 am »

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Report-8216-Saturday-Night-Live-8217-wants-?urn=nfl-wp14514

Report: ‘Saturday Night Live’ wants Tim Tebow to host

A report on HollywoodLife.com says "Saturday Night Live" wants Tim Tebow to host the show once the NFL season concludes.

Oh, you think? A television show with ratings that rise and fall depending on its guest host wants the nation's most-buzzed athlete to appear on it? The hell you say!

You know who also wants a piece of Tebow? Letterman, Leno, "The Daily Show," CNN, Fox News, "Anderson," women over the age of 45, Oprah's network, Barbara Walters, whatever that Brian Williams show on NBC is called, the Grammys, the Golden Globes, the Boy Scouts, the Girl Scouts, gender-neutral scouts, the casting director working on "Expendables 2" and everyone running for president next year. I'm half-surprised Kim Jong-il didn't leave power to him.

Everyone wants to be in the Tebow business, whether it be for a television show, an interview, an endorsement or merely to bask in his heavenly glow. He's going to be stretched so thin once the season ends he's going to look like Al Roker when it's all said and done.
Report Spam   Logged
Kilika
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2011, 04:11:59 pm »

Grin Have to admit, that gave me a chuckle. This whole deal has got the unbelieveing so bewildered they don't know what to say.

So long as Tebow remembers, "For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required:"
Report Spam   Logged
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2011, 05:11:26 pm »

Grin Have to admit, that gave me a chuckle. This whole deal has got the unbelieveing so bewildered they don't know what to say.

So long as Tebow remembers, "For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required:"

Well, the Cowboys don't play until 3:15 tomorrow, so the metroplex will air the 12pm Denver game on CBS(as well as the Giants/Jets at the same time on FOX).

Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: