End Times and Current Events
April 19, 2024, 04:39:50 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome To End Times and Current Events.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Feet washing in the Bible

Shoutbox
March 27, 2024, 12:55:24 pm Mark says: Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked  When Hamas spokesman Abu Ubaida began a speech marking the 100th day of the war in Gaza, one confounding yet eye-opening proclamation escaped the headlines. Listing the motives for the Palestinian militant group's Oct. 7 massacre in Israel, he accused Jews of "bringing red cows" to the Holy Land.
December 31, 2022, 10:08:58 am NilsFor1611 says: blessings
August 08, 2018, 02:38:10 am suzytr says: Hello, any good churches in the Sacto, CA area, also looking in Reno NV, thanks in advance and God Bless you Smiley
January 29, 2018, 01:21:57 am Christian40 says: It will be interesting to see what happens this year Israel being 70 years as a modern nation may 14 2018
October 17, 2017, 01:25:20 am Christian40 says: It is good to type Mark is here again!  Smiley
October 16, 2017, 03:28:18 am Christian40 says: anyone else thinking that time is accelerating now? it seems im doing days in shorter time now is time being affected in some way?
September 24, 2017, 10:45:16 pm Psalm 51:17 says: The specific rule pertaining to the national anthem is found on pages A62-63 of the league rulebook. It states: “The National Anthem must be played prior to every NFL game, and all players must be on the sideline for the National Anthem. “During the National Anthem, players on the field and bench area should stand at attention, face the flag, hold helmets in their left hand, and refrain from talking. The home team should ensure that the American flag is in good condition. It should be pointed out to players and coaches that we continue to be judged by the public in this area of respect for the flag and our country. Failure to be on the field by the start of the National Anthem may result in discipline, such as fines, suspensions, and/or the forfeiture of draft choice(s) for violations of the above, including first offenses.”
September 20, 2017, 04:32:32 am Christian40 says: "The most popular Hepatitis B vaccine is nothing short of a witch’s brew including aluminum, formaldehyde, yeast, amino acids, and soy. Aluminum is a known neurotoxin that destroys cellular metabolism and function. Hundreds of studies link to the ravaging effects of aluminum. The other proteins and formaldehyde serve to activate the immune system and open up the blood-brain barrier. This is NOT a good thing."
http://www.naturalnews.com/2017-08-11-new-fda-approved-hepatitis-b-vaccine-found-to-increase-heart-attack-risk-by-700.html
September 19, 2017, 03:59:21 am Christian40 says: bbc international did a video about there street preaching they are good witnesses
September 14, 2017, 08:06:04 am Psalm 51:17 says: bro Mark Hunter on YT has some good, edifying stuff too.
View Shout History
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Feet washing in the Bible  (Read 472 times)
Christian40
Moderators

View Profile
« on: January 17, 2011, 10:47:56 pm »

John 13:
5 After that he poureth water into a bason, and began to wash the disciples’ feet, and to wipe them with the towel wherewith he was girded.
6 Then cometh he to Simon Peter: and Peter saith unto him, Lord, dost thou wash my feet?
7 Jesus answered and said unto him, What I do thou knowest not now; but thou shalt know hereafter.
8 Peter saith unto him, Thou shalt never wash my feet. Jesus answered him, If I wash thee not, thou hast no part with me.
9 Simon Peter saith unto him, Lord, not my feet only, but also my hands and my head.
10 Jesus saith to him, He that is washed needeth not save to wash his feet, but is clean every whit: and ye are clean, but not all.
11 For he knew who should betray him; therefore said he, Ye are not all clean.
12 So after he had washed their feet, and had taken his garments, and was set down again, he said unto them, Know ye what I have done to you?
13 Ye call me Master and Lord: and ye say well; for so I am.
14 If I then, your Lord and Master, have washed your feet; ye also ought to wash one another’s feet.
15 For I have given you an example, that ye should do as I have done to you.

It is taught and believed by some religious groups that Jesus, before His betrayal, instituted the ceremonial rite of feet-washing, and since that time He has intended that His church observe it as a literal act of worship. This erroneous conclusion is derived from the thirteenth chapter of John.
Did Jesus institute a new act of worship? The only way to settle any religious question is from the inspired word. It is therefore imperative that we study all the facets of the subject now before us.
Three questions will help us to open our eyes to a more complete understanding of feet-washing. (1) What was the purpose of feet-washing? (2) Who performed this act? (3) And, for what reason was it performed in John the thirteenth chapter?

(1) What was the purpose of feet-washing?
It should be understood that this act was observed years before our Lord made His advent in human flesh upon this earth. Feet-washing existed as early as the days of the patriarch Abraham. "Let a little water, I pray you, be fetched, and wash your feet, and rest yourselves under the tree:" (Genesis 18:4) "...and wash your feet" (Genesis 19:2) But we ask the question, "What was the purpose of feet-washing?" The answer: To cleanse the feet!
In Palestine, and the eastern part of the world, during the days of Abraham to sometime after the first century A.D, the most common mode of travel was walking. The roads of Palestine were dusty. "The sandal was the article ordinarily used by the Hebrews for protecting the feet. It consisted simply of a sole attached to the foot by thongs. We have express notice of the shoelatchet in several passages, notably Genesis 14:23; Isaiah 5:27; Mark 1:7. Sandals were worn by all classes of society in Palestine, even by the very poor; and both the sandal and the thong or shoelatchet were so cheap and common that they passed into a proverb for the most insignificant thing (Genesis 14:23). They were dispensed with indoors, and were only put on by persons about to undertake some business away from home. During meal times the feet were uncovered. (Luke 7:38; John 13:4,6). To carry or to unloose a person's sandal was a menial office, betokening great inferiority on the part of the person performing it (Matthew 3:11).
Feet-washing was for the purpose of cleansing the feet as emphasized in Exodus 40:31,32. "And Moses and Aaron and his sons washed their hands and their feet thereat: 32 When they went into the tent of the congregation, and when they came near unto the altar, they washed; as the Lord commanded Moses."
Why was it required of Moses, Aaron and his sons to wash their hands and feet before coming near to the altar of burnt offering? The reason is obvious. It was to clean the feet as well as the hands. The very word "wash" clearly indicates that the purpose was to cleanse the feet.
As we look at other scriptures having to do with feet-washing, we ask this question: Why were feet washed before eating? Genesis 18:4 "...and wash your feet" Verse eight reads, "...and they did eat." Also Genesis 19:2,3 and Judges 19:21. In 2 Samuel 11:8 we read, "And David said to Uriah, Go down to thy house, and wash thy feet. And Uriah departed out of the king’s house, and there followed him a mess of meat from the king." Uriah had just returned from a long journey. His feet were dirty so he was told to wash them before eating. Was he worshiping? No! Uriah was told to wash his feet. Why? To cleanse them of course. But it was no act of worship.
There is only one passage found in the New Testament after the Lord's death, pertaining to the subject of feet-washing. It is found in 1 Timothy 5:10. "Well reported of for good works; if she have brought up children, if she have lodged strangers, if she have washed the saints’ feet, if she have relieved the afflicted, if she have diligently followed every good work." Even in this passage the purpose of feet-washing was to cleanse the feet, and in so doing the widow was showing hospitality to the weary visitor. This was a home duty and an act of hospitality. It was not an act of worship!
Jesus once rebuked a Pharisee (Simon) for not providing water to wash His feet, but on the other hand complimented the woman (a sinner) for washing His feet with her tears and drying them with her hair (Luke 7:36-46). Now this was earlier in time than the incident in John thirteen, but it was not an act of worship. It was simply cleansing of the soiled feet upon entering the house. Why? Jesus' feet became soiled because of the dusty paths of Palestine and the type of footwear that He wore. With all this in mind now notice what our Lord said in John 13:10, "He that is washed needeth not save to wash his feet, but is clean every whit: and ye are clean, but not all" (speaking of Judas, John 13:2). Why would our Lord make such a statement? Because the feet of the disciples were soiled on the way to the upper room; therefore, the only part of them that needed washing were the feet. The reason Jesus said "...He that is washed needeth not save to wash his feet" (John 13:10).

(2) Who performed this act?
Was it an act of prestige or was it one of humility? Was this an important job or was it one of menial significance? Let us look to the Scriptures and find the answer to the question before us. Some washed their own feet. Notice in Genesis 18:4 (This was when the three men, later referred to as angels, visited Abraham) "Let a little water, I pray you, be fetched, and wash your feet, and rest yourselves under the tree:" In Genesis 43:24 it is said of Joseph's brothers, "And the man brought the men into Joseph’s house, and gave them water, and they washed their feet;" David told Uriah in 2 Samuel 11:8, "Go down to thy house, and wash thy feet." It is then very clear that in most cases men themselves washed their own feet!
Christian widows washed the Saints' feet. In 1 Timothy 5:10 Paul gives the necessary qualifications for widows who were to serve in a specific capacity and receive financial support from the church. The apostle said, "Well reported of for good works; if she have brought up children, if she have lodged strangers, if she have washed the saints’ feet, if she have relieved the afflicted, if she have diligently followed every good work." In this case it was the widow not the visitor that washed the feet. It was an act of hospitality on the part of the widow. It was done in the home. How many widows today do this? Why not? Because it is no longer a custom due to the modern shoe wear and paved roads. However, every Christian is commanded to be hospitable today (Romans 12:13).
Servants washed the feet of others. In 1 Samuel 25:41 there is recorded a statement by Abigail made to David's servants when they came to Carmel to take her to David to be his wife (Verse 40). She said, after bowing herself to the earth, " ...Behold, let thine handmaid be a servant to wash the feet of the servants of my lord." Feet-washing then was not only a very insignificant act, but was classed as part of a servant's job as well.

(3) For what reason was feet-washing performed in the thirteenth chapter of John?
As we answer this question let us keep in mind the things we have already learned. (1) The purpose of feet-washing was to cleanse the feet. (2) We must take into account who washed the feet. Most of the time the person himself washed his own feet, but in some cases it was not only considered an act of hospitality and a good work, but the menial task of a servant. Now, with this information in mind, we are ready to enter into the case of feet-washing that occurred in John the thirteenth chapter.
The events of John thirteen happened on the evening before Christ was crucified upon the cross. He had desired to eat the Passover with His disciples. That meal was held in an upper room. But, there was a disagreement among the Lord's disciples that very evening. An argument had developed among the disciples as to which one among them was to be considered the greatest. "And there was also a strife among them, which of them should be accounted the greatest." (Luke 22:24). There is no indication that the disciples washed their feet when entering the upper room as was the custom of the Jews (Luke 13:10). There was 'strife among them' and the Saviour took means to remedy the problem, and, being the Great Master Teacher that He was, He knew when a demonstration is better than a sermon any day. Therefore, He arose from the table and began to wash the disciples' feet. That Jesus was teaching the disciples a great lesson is quite evident from the context. He says, "What I do thou knowest not now; but thou shalt know hereafter." (John 13:7). Now Jesus was washing the disciples feet, yet He said, "You don't know what I am doing." The meaning obviously is: "Do not concentrate on what I am doing, but rather, see what I am teaching." And what was he teaching? A lesson of humility! If He, their Lord and Teacher, could humble himself to the position of a servant, they should strive to be of service to one another. "And he said unto them, The kings of the Gentiles exercise lordship over them; and they that exercise authority upon them are called benefactors. 26 But ye shall not be so: but he that is greatest among you, let him be as the younger; and he that is chief, as he that doth serve." (Luke 22:25,26). "If I then, your Lord and Master, have washed your feet; ye also ought to wash one another’s feet. 15 For I have given you an example, that ye should do as I have done to you." (John 13:14,15). Notice, Jesus said “as” and not “what”. He instructed them to follow His example, an example of service!
There is not the slightest indication or proof that washing of feet was ever practiced as a ceremonial rite in the New Testament church. To do it as an act of worship without authorization of God's Word, puts it in the category where it belongs, that is the Doctrines of Men. “This people draweth nigh unto me with their mouth, and honoureth me with their lips; but their heart is far from me. 9 But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.” (Matthew 15:8,9). We have to dismiss the doctrines of man and focus on the doctrines of God.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: