End Times and Current Events
March 28, 2024, 05:30:03 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: "Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me." John 5:39 (KJB)

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Police Abuse Their Authority To Beat Maim Scores Of Citizens

Shoutbox
March 27, 2024, 12:55:24 pm Mark says: Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked  When Hamas spokesman Abu Ubaida began a speech marking the 100th day of the war in Gaza, one confounding yet eye-opening proclamation escaped the headlines. Listing the motives for the Palestinian militant group's Oct. 7 massacre in Israel, he accused Jews of "bringing red cows" to the Holy Land.
December 31, 2022, 10:08:58 am NilsFor1611 says: blessings
August 08, 2018, 02:38:10 am suzytr says: Hello, any good churches in the Sacto, CA area, also looking in Reno NV, thanks in advance and God Bless you Smiley
January 29, 2018, 01:21:57 am Christian40 says: It will be interesting to see what happens this year Israel being 70 years as a modern nation may 14 2018
October 17, 2017, 01:25:20 am Christian40 says: It is good to type Mark is here again!  Smiley
October 16, 2017, 03:28:18 am Christian40 says: anyone else thinking that time is accelerating now? it seems im doing days in shorter time now is time being affected in some way?
September 24, 2017, 10:45:16 pm Psalm 51:17 says: The specific rule pertaining to the national anthem is found on pages A62-63 of the league rulebook. It states: “The National Anthem must be played prior to every NFL game, and all players must be on the sideline for the National Anthem. “During the National Anthem, players on the field and bench area should stand at attention, face the flag, hold helmets in their left hand, and refrain from talking. The home team should ensure that the American flag is in good condition. It should be pointed out to players and coaches that we continue to be judged by the public in this area of respect for the flag and our country. Failure to be on the field by the start of the National Anthem may result in discipline, such as fines, suspensions, and/or the forfeiture of draft choice(s) for violations of the above, including first offenses.”
September 20, 2017, 04:32:32 am Christian40 says: "The most popular Hepatitis B vaccine is nothing short of a witch’s brew including aluminum, formaldehyde, yeast, amino acids, and soy. Aluminum is a known neurotoxin that destroys cellular metabolism and function. Hundreds of studies link to the ravaging effects of aluminum. The other proteins and formaldehyde serve to activate the immune system and open up the blood-brain barrier. This is NOT a good thing."
http://www.naturalnews.com/2017-08-11-new-fda-approved-hepatitis-b-vaccine-found-to-increase-heart-attack-risk-by-700.html
September 19, 2017, 03:59:21 am Christian40 says: bbc international did a video about there street preaching they are good witnesses
September 14, 2017, 08:06:04 am Psalm 51:17 says: bro Mark Hunter on YT has some good, edifying stuff too.
View Shout History
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Police Abuse Their Authority To Beat Maim Scores Of Citizens  (Read 3150 times)
Christian40
Moderators

View Profile
« on: December 22, 2011, 02:39:28 am »

Shocked
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Charrington

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 10:03:45 pm »

Report Spam   Logged
Charrington

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 08:44:27 am »

“I always thought police were nothing but good and were there to protect people,” testifies Elizabeth Polak, a registered nurse from Phoenix. Her view of the State’s enforcement caste changed dramatically as a result of what she witnessed in Denver on the evening of March 25, 2008.

Polak, returning to her apartment following her daily jog, saw a man and a woman having an unremarkable conversation near the entrance to the building. Two police officers appeared – a development always pregnant with trouble – and approached the couple. From a distance of about 100 feet, Polak saw the officers stride purposefully toward the man, who was later identified as James Moore.

“The officers did not stop and have a conversation with Mr. Moore,” she later recounted in a sworn affidavit. “The officers walked up to him and instantaneously punched Mr. Moore. Prior to being punched, there was no resistance or non-cooperation on his part. Mr. Moore was not given the chance to comply with any orders, if any were given. It appeared that the police were on a mission to walk up to Mr. Moore and punch him.”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnKdXvxUW5E&feature=player_embedded

Shocked and terrified by the assault on Moore, the woman – his girlfriend, Julie Gomez – repeatedly exclaimed: “You have the wrong people!” Moore, who had been knocked to the ground, did what he could to avoid or deflect the blows directed at him by the assailants.

The attack on Moore “appeared to be completely unprovoked and at no time was Mr. Moore fighting back,” Polak – who has never spoken with the victim – related in her affidavit. “At no time did Mr. Moore try to attack an officer. At no time did Mr. Moore try to reach for an officer’s weapon. Mr. Moore was surprisingly calm.”

“I did try to stay calm,” Moore, a Special Forces combat veteran, recalled to Pro Libertate. “I just tried to assure myself that the beating would eventually stop, and I just had to endure it patiently. But it didn’t stop.”

The assailants, Officers Shawn Miller and John Robledo of the Denver Police Department, had been summoned to the apartment building by a noise complaint from a neighbor after Moore – who has been diagnosed with Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder – had a somewhat tumultuous breakdown upon learning of a friend’s death in Afghanistan. (Moore, who was a Ron Paul delegate in 2008, has become an unabashed opponent of the Empire.) After deciding a change of scenery was in order, Moore and his girlfriend called a cab and went outside to wait. An hour later, the cops arrived.

“We were waiting outside the building, when I suddenly hear pounding and rushing footsteps — then next thing you know Miller is in my face shouting, `Get your hands out of your pockets! Show me some ID!’” Moore told Pro Libertate. “I said, `Why. what’s going on’ — and I was almost simultaneously knocked to the ground before I could finish.” Once the beating began, Moore tried to identify himself and point out he was a disabled Vet — but this availed him nothing.

Moore hit the ground hard – and went very still. Moore recalled that there was a sudden, brief pause in the assault after blood gushed from his face onto the sidewalk.

“It seems to me that they knew at that point they’d screwed up,” he said. “It was as if, after a second or two, they decided to make it look as if I had been resisting arrest – which meant that they had to use a great deal of `necessary force’ to subdue me.” Robledo immediately hog-tied Moore, binding his wrists and ankles in a restraint device — while Miller continued the assault. When Miller’s hands grew weary and his knuckles became sore, he extracted a small club and began hitting the victim in the neck and head.

“I stood in terror watching the beating for about 7-10 minutes,” Polak attested. The attack lasted long enough for the young woman to enter her apartment and get to a window.

During that time, the assailants — seeking to sustain the fiction that they were subduing a dangerous, resisting criminal — called for “backup.” A thugscrum of about ten officers quickly congealed at the scene. As many as a half-dozen of them helping to restrain the unresisting Moore, who was already hog-tied and remained conscious for roughly half of the amount of time described by Polak.

During that time, the assailants — seeking to sustain the fiction that they were subduing a dangerous, resisting criminal — called for “backup.” A thugscrum of about ten officers quickly congealed at the scene. As many as a half-dozen of them helping to restrain the unresisting Moore, who was already hog-tied and remained conscious for roughly half of the amount of time described by Polak.

“Every time I tried to say something, they raised my leg higher into the air behind my back, causing my diaphragm to push into my lungs to shut off my air supply,” Moore pointed out. “I could not breathe out, much less breathe in.” Even though he was helpless, hog-tied, face-down on the concrete, and suffocating, the police continued to beat him unstintingly while chanting the preferred refrain of the rapist: “Stop resisting! Stop resisting!”

“From the windows inside the complex, I saw Mr. Moore lying lifeless in his own blood,” Polak narrates. “Officers were still on top of him striking him with their fists. He was not moving and did not look like he was breathing. His face looked caved in.”

Eventually one of the officers – obviously the brightest of a very dim lot – noticed that Moore appeared to be dead, and began to administer CPR. An ambulance pulled up shortly thereafter and Moore’s apparently lifeless body was taken to the hospital.

At one point, that body was literally lifeless, in a clinical sense: Moore “flatlined” on the sidewalk and had to be medically revived by the EMTs. Polak, looking at Moore from a distance with the eyes of an RN, couldn’t tell if the victim had survived: “I called my mom and asked if she would call the police to inquire whether Mr. Moore was alive or dead.”

It’s doubtful that Denver’s, ahem, Finest would have cared much about the fate of a mere Mundane like James Moore. The officer who led the unprovoked assault certainly wasn’t troubled by what he had just done.

“After the ambulance left, a fireman used a fire hose to wash the blood off the sidewalk,” Polak notes. I also noticed that the same officer that was beating him with the club was wiping Mr. Moore’s blood off of his club.”

Swaggering coward Shawn Miller bullies a small, disabled woman.

That officer’s name, once again, is Shawn Miller. Two days before he committed what was very nearly an act of aggravated homicide against James Moore, he and his partner severely beat a pedestrian named Jason Graber, leaving him with a broken knee and a permanent disability.

Concerned that Miller’s reckless driving was putting pedestrians at risk, Graber gestured for the officer to slow down. This constituted the unforgivable offense called “contempt of cop” – and Graber was brutalized as an act of “street justice.”

In a November 2010 incident in a secure apartment building, Miller cursed at, browbeat, threatened, battered, and abducted a disabled woman named Doreen Salazar because of her perceived tardiness in buzzing him and his partner into the residential area. Salazar, who had been advised by the apartment managers never to grant access to anyone she didn’t know, and who had difficulty identifying the officers as police, paused for perhaps a second or two before letting them in. It’s a tragedy that she didn’t understand that police are the most dangerous variety of strangers she’s likely to confront.

Security camera video shows Miller snarling at the small, middle-aged woman, pushing her, and cornering her near an elevator. He then slammed her face-first into the elevator door, handcuffed her, and held her in his patrol car for about ten minutes – a sadistic act that served no purpose other than to terrorize an uppity Mundane who had failed to respect Miller’s supposed authority.

“Did you learn your lesson?” a smirking Miller sneered at Salazar after releasing her from the handcuffs.

“Yes, I learned my lesson,” Salazar – who is more of a man than little Shawn will ever be — replied. “I learned not to open a door for a cop ever again.”

While that is a sound and commendable policy, it’s inadequate to deal with the threat posed by police officers to those citizens – like James Moore – who actually venture outside their homes on occasion.

Moore underwent a lengthy and expensive hospitalization that included back surgery. While recuperating from the nearly fatal beating, Moore had to deal with the expense, frustration, and stress resulting from the spurious charges filed against him by the thugs who had beaten him. In keeping with standard procedure in such matters, the victim of this unprovoked, and nearly fatal, attack was charged with Felony Assault on a Police Officer and Felony Disarming of a Police Officer. It took two years for the charges to be dismissed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRb2UVlossg&feature=player_embedded

Moore in rehab following back surgery.

In March 2010, Moore filed a federal lawsuit against Miller, Robledo, and Denver’s municipal government. During depositions last December, Miller and his boyfriends continued to peddle the fiction that they had subdued a violent, dangerous suspect.

“They’re trying to make me look like Rambo – an unhinged Special Forces veteran who is a danger to the public,” comments Moore. “Yes, I did serve in a Special Forces unit that saw combat in Afghanistan, but I was a computer nerd. I was never part of an assault team.”

After returning to the United States in 2004, Moore suffered from combat-related psychological problems — including post-traumatic stress disorder. In 2006, he sought help from the VA, and was turned down. Shortly thereafter, he attempted suicide.

By 2008, however, “I was healthy again, and looking forward to live. Julie and I planned to make a life together, but that ended the night that the cops attacked me.” Julie, whose only involvement in the March 25, 2008 incident was to be a witness to the Denver PD’s gang assault on her boyfriend, was abducted by the police and slapped with several entirely contrived charges, including assault on an officer, resisting arrest, and “obstruction.” While in jail following her arrest, Julie was told that the police would have the couple evicted from their apartment — and they made good on the threat.

Julie spent the next two years fighting the fraudulent and vindictive charges against her. Although James and Julie are still on cordial terms, the accumulated trauma of the evening and her subsequent incarceration ended the relationship.

“In his testimony, Miller said that `This was the worst fight I’ve ever been in. This guy must have been trained in martial arts,’” Moore reflects. “He also said that I was a threat because he couldn’t see my hands and I was wearing a hoodie. Neither of those statements is true. I never had my hands in my pockets, and I was actually wearing a North Face jacket, not the notorious hoodie.”

Between his medical bills and his legal expenses, Moore – who pulled in a salary north of $100,000 working in Silicon Valley before going to war – is destitute, living with his father in Oklahoma. He was able to gather sufficient funding to travel to southeast Asia in search of alternative therapies for his back injuries – treatment that cost a great deal less than conventional methods in the U.S. While the prospect of relocating to Asia was attractive, Moore points out, “I had to come back here and take care of business in court.”

Last September, the Denver City Council approved a $225,000 taxpayer settlement with Jason Graber. U.S. District Judge John Kane, who had dismissed Graber’s lawsuit last March, reversed his decision a few months later after it was demonstrated that the Denver PD and the municipal government had refused to turn over documents dealing with excessive force complaints – many of them filed against Shawn Miller, who remains on duty and has never faced disciplinary action of any kind.

Denver’s police department is among the most notoriously abusive agencies of its kind in the Mountain West. Two years ago, in the context of growing public outrage over accumulating episodes of criminal assault by police, Chief Gerald Whitman told the local NBC affiliate that “the police department is under control” and that it actually receives fewer use-of-force complaints than departments in most other major cities.

Apparently the public is expected to confide in the Chief’s uncorroborated assurances, because he is determined to preserve the institutional opacity of his department.

Last fall, Judge Kane issued an order demanding that the police department turn over all documents dealing with excessive force complaints over the previous eight years, including disciplinary records. Despite fines of $5,000 a day, and Kane’s threat to dispatch U.S. Marshals to collect the files, the Denver PD and the ruling clique it serves have refused to comply. [Clarification: The department, while not in full compliance with the order, has turned over a small fraction of the documents it is required to provide.]

“The people behind this are simply trying to wear me down,” Moore observes. “They want to outlast me, and they have taxpayer money at their disposal, while I have next to nothing. They probably assume that I’ll get desperate and they’ll be able to settle for pennies on the dollar. I, on the other hand, am determined to be the guy who doesn’t cash out – the one who holds out for real accountability, which means the exposure of all the corrupt and criminal things this department has done to innocent people.”

“You know, before this happened I trusted the police,” Moore concludes in an ironic echo of the witness who saw him beaten and left for dead on the sidewalk. His experience is just one illustration – albeit an uncommonly infuriating one – of the fact that no informed and rational person should ever make that mistake.

Make some calls on Jimmy’s behalf. Inquire about the actions of Shawn Miller and John Robledo.

Denver Police Department
1331 Cherokee Street
Denver, CO 80204-4507
720-913-2000

Contact Jimmy at:
www.facebook.com/justiceforjamesmoore

http://networkedblogs.com/y0AvK
Report Spam   Logged
Mark
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 05:27:37 am »

Cop who pointed gun at McDonald's customer will lose certification

A police officer who was waiting in the drive-thru line at a McDonald's restaurant in Forsyth County is accused of pulling a gun on the customer ahead of him because the officer was angry at having to wait for his food.

The off-duty officer is Detective Sgt. Scott Biumi, 48, of the DeKalb County Police Department. Biumi is charged with felony aggravated assault on the customer. 11Alive News was not able to reach him for comment Wednesday night.

However, we knocked on his door in Cumming on Thursday and Biumi came to the door only to tell us the name of his attorney.

We've now learned Scott Biumi will have his police certification suspended.

"This flies in the face of decency and police professionalism and you can quote me on that!" said Ken Vance, the Executive Director of Georgia's Peace Officer Standards and Training Council.  "His certification will be suspended immediately."

"He put his hand right here," said the customer, 18-year-old Ryan Mash, pointing to his upper chest and shoulder area, "then he pulled the gun and put it, pointed it at, like, my neck area."

Mash is a high school senior who also works at that McDonald's, on Old Atlanta Road in south Forsyth county.

It was April 9, a Tuesday night, at 10:30.

Mash was not working that night.

He drove two friends to the McDonald's and they were in his Ford 150 pickup truck, at the head of the line, at the window, when the man they now identify as Biumi pulled up behind them in a black Chevy Impala.

"And we were waiting on them to cook the food. And the cop -- I didn't know at first that he was a cop -- pulled up behind us and waited about two minutes, two to three minutes.... And he got out and started yelling, yelling at us, 'Stop holding up the drive-thru line,' this that and the other. He walked back over to his car, got back in, and I said, 'Sorry for the inconvenience, Sir.' And he goes, 'Who has the loud mouth?' And I was, like, 'I said that,' not being smart or anything. He's like, 'Well, you never know who you're messing with.' And I was just like, 'No, Sir, I don't.' He goes, 'Keep your mouth shut.' I was like, 'I'm sorry.' He's like, 'Well, you don't know who you're messing with. And there's some crazy people out there.' And that's when he pulled the gun on me, and kept on yelling at me for about thirty more seconds. And then walked off."

Then the man got back into his car and drove away.

We got a copy of Biumi's training record. He began employment with DeKalb County Police in March of 1988. Over his 24 year history with the department he received more than 17 hundred hours of training, including a course in 2012 on 'ethics and professionalism'.

The Forsyth County Sheriff's Office incident report quotes Mash and other witnesses as recalling that Biumi said to them, "You don't know who you are [expletive]-ing with," and "You never know who you are [expletive]-ing with."

One of Mash's friends had noticed a police badge on the man's belt as the man reached into the pickup with his gun.

Mash and his friends got the tag number and description of the man's car.

McDonald's got the video.

The video shows a man in a business suit standing outside the driver's side of the vehicle that's at the drive-thru window, pulling a gun and leaning into the vehicle, pointing the gun at the driver.

Forsyth County Sheriff Duane Piper traced the man's license plate to the DeKalb County Police Department, and Biumi. Then the teens who were in the pickup truck, the Sheriff said, identified Biumi from a photo lineup. The Sheriff arrested Biumi Wednesday.

"We believe, right now, that it was his duty weapon, and a DeKalb-County-issued vehicle that he was in," Sheriff Piper said.

Piper said he does not believe that Mash and his friends did or said anything to provoke Biumi, or to make him think they might be criminal suspects endangering anyone's life. And Piper said witnesses never heard or saw Biumi identify himself as a police officer.

"Terribly disappointing," Sheriff Piper said. "It's a betrayal of a trust to the public. We're expected to handle ourselves correctly in high-stress situations, and it's very disappointing that an officer would snap like this. It's a break in judgement that can't be excused."

"I was scared, I was very scared," Mash said. "For sure, I didn't want to die that night." He chucked for a moment, then quickly got serious again. "I didn't know what he was doing. So I stuck my hands up and said, 'I'm sorry, Sir. I don't want any problems.' And he's like, 'Okay, then. Then watch who you're talking with.' And then walked off."

Forsyth County Sheriff's deputies arrested Biumi in DeKalb County Wednesday morning, and booked him in the Forsyth County jail.

Biumi was released from the jail Wednesday afternoon on a $22,000 bond.

DeKalb County Police Chief Cedric Alexander placed Biumi on administrative leave with pay while the case is investigated.

Chief Alexander said Biumi has been on the force for more than 20 years.

"I'm just not going to stand for any behavior that goes outside that of the scope of the law," Chief Alexander said Wednesday, quickly adding, "we have to remember these are allegations that are being investigated" and Biumi is presumed innocent.

Alexander said Biumi never told his superiors about the allegations from last week.  Alexander said he learned about them only when investigators from Forsyth County contacted DeKalb about Biumi.

"I'm always respectful with the cops, and they're always respectful back to me," Mash said. "And I look at them the same way now.... [But] I think he should have his gun revoked, and his badge. He shouldn't be serving in our community, because you never know, he could get angry at somebody for speeding, and pull a gun on him."

And Mash said if he could speak directly with Biumi, he'd try again to convince him he wasn't talking back to him.  "I would tell him that I wasn't being a smart-ass to him."

According to the Vance, regardless of the criminal proceedings, a POST review could result in revocation of his certification.

http://www.11alive.com/news/article/288918/40/Cop-in-slow-McDonalds-line-accused-of-aiming-gun-at-customer-ahead-of-him
Report Spam   Logged

What can you do for Jesus?  Learn what 1 person can accomplish.

The Man from George Street
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkjMvPhLrn8
Mark
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 10:02:16 am »

Why did cops kill this 95-year-old in walker?

World War II hero Tasered, shot in stomach

A 95-year-old man who served his country during World War II is now dead after police stormed his retirement home with riot shields, Tasered him and shot him with bean bag rounds – all because he adamantly refused to undergo high-risk surgery.

U.S. Army Air Corps veteran John Wrana, who was honorably discharged as a sergeant after he served in the India-Burma campaign, used a walker because family members said he was “wobbly” on his feet, according to the Chicago Tribune. The elderly veteran was shot down by enemy fire during the war.

On July 26, a doctor reportedly told Wrana if he survived surgery, he would likely be put on life support. The elderly man refused the operation, and paramedics attempted to involuntarily transport him for medical treatment. He was sitting in a chair, holding a cane and a shoe horn when police arrived at the Victory Centre senior living facility located just south of Chicago.

The Cook County medical examiner reported that Wrana bled to death internally from injuries caused when the elderly man was shot in the stomach with a 12-gauge shotgun that fired a bag filled with lead shot. The death has been ruled a homicide, according to reports.

Read more at http://www.wnd.com/2013/08/why-did-cops-kill-this-95-year-old-in-walker/#BU1HLgUcvsuPoZQs.99
Report Spam   Logged

Kilika
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2013, 05:04:52 pm »

What could possibly be going through those police officer's minds? I mean I know the root of such evil, but still! It's mind-boggling to see humans act that way. Wow.
Report Spam   Logged
Psalm 51:17
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2013, 05:10:40 pm »

What could possibly be going through those police officer's minds? I mean I know the root of such evil, but still! It's mind-boggling to see humans act that way. Wow.

Having lived in New Orleans for years, the NOPD officers could get very evil. But almost never were they THIS crazy!
Report Spam   Logged
Mark
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2013, 06:58:04 pm »

I come across a lot of articles like this. I dont post them as i get way to angry about them. There will be a big sence of satisfaction and sadness on judgment day

Rev 6:10  And they cried with a loud voice, saying, How long, O Lord, holy and true, dost thou not judge and avenge our blood on them that dwell on the earth?
Report Spam   Logged

Christian40
Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2013, 04:47:22 am »

Man assaulted, arrested, and put on trial for walking down wrong side of the street

JACKSONVILLE, FL — "A Florida man is suing the local Sheriff’s Office after reportedly being violently assaulted and arrested by a police officer for the crime of “walking on the wrong side of the road” as a pedestrian. In arresting this criminal, the officer punched him in the face and threatened him with a taser.  The offense was taken all the way to trial.

Last December, Bobby Wingate, of Jacksonville, Florida, was on his way to an appointment in the neighborhood of Arlington when he was suddenly stopped by an officer of the Jacksonville Sheriff’s Department.

As reported by First Coast News, The officer pulled up alongside Wingate while he walked along Oliver Street and asked him to stop. When he explained to the officer that he was late for an appointment, the officer cited Wingate for the heinous offense of “walking down the wrong side of the road.”

Next, as if to impress upon him the seriousness of the crime, the officer punched him in the face. Then, according to court records, he “engaged his taser.” Fearing for his safety, Bobby Wingate called 9-1-1 for help. On the recording of the call Wingate can be heard telling the dispatcher, “He said do I really want to fight him? I haven’t done anything wrong.”

The Sherriff’s Officer arrested Wingate, charging him with resisting arrest without violence and walking down the wrong side of the road. He then spent the night in jail, and the State Attorney’s Office brought the case against him to trial.

Once in court, the judge threw the case out and dropped all of the charges because of lack of evidence against Wingate. Not the least of which was the arresting officer’s inability to remember which side of the road Wingate was walking on.

“The conduct that is outlined in the transcript and the 9-1-1 call is not only breathtaking, it’s outrageous, it’s disgraceful,” said Andrew Bonderud, Wingate’s civil attorney.”

Bonderud also said he believes client was a target of racial discrimination. His opinion is supported by the staggering absence of any real evidence, suggesting that Wingate was not arrested for anything other than “walking while black.”

Wingate is now suing the department in civil court not out of malice towards the arresting officer, but as a matter of principle. He says, “If I ever see him again, and he needs my help for something, I’ll help him.” In addition to a monetary settlement, Wingate is seeking an apology from the department.

Meanwhile, the JSO Officer at the center of this event is still on the job, and has yet to be investigated internally by the department. The JSO will not comment on either case due to the pending lawsuit.

This incident is a good example of the benefit of knowing your rights when dealing with the police. The ACLU offers a detailed guide on what to do if you are stopped by police. I recommend that in addition to familiarizing yourself with the guide’s main points, you download their handy PDF version (which conveniently folds down into a card the size of your wallet). Keep it next to the laminated copy of CPR instructions that you carry on your person at all times.

As far as the federal government is concerned, individuals are afforded the Fourth Amendment’s protections against unreasonable searches and seizures in the same manner as they apply to property. As such, there is no federal law requiring an individual to identify herself. Hiibel v. Sixth Judicial District Court of Nevada held that the States, however, are free to enact laws requiring citizens to provide their identity, provided the officers have reasonable suspicion that a specific person is involved in a specific crime.

Police-citizen encounters are generally broken down into three tiers: consensual encounters, investigative detentions and arrests. “Stop and identify” statutes, the law in 24 states, fall under the detention category, and allow police to arrest suspects who refuse to identify themselves. While the specifics of each law vary greatly from state to state, there is one constant; without reasonable suspicion of a specific crime, the police cannot force you to identify yourself. The key word here is “reasonable,” and its vagueness allows the police a wide latitude when dealing with the public.

Bobby Wingate appears to have initially been involved in a consensual encounter with the officer. He should have been allowed to terminate the encounter and leave freely without answering any questions or identifying himself. Lacking reasonable suspicion of specific crime, the officer escalated the encounter past the level consensual by asserting that Wingate was walking on the wrong side of the road. The officer’s reasonable suspicion was so vague that he later failed to articulate to the court any of the specifics of the alleged crime.

Having been detained, assaulted, arrested and tried in court on false charges; Wingate will now have his day in court, and justice may yet be served.

In lieu of any apparent crime, the way to find out if the police have reasonable suspicion is to determine if you’re free to go. You can do this by saying, “Excuse me officer. Are you detaining me, or am I free to go?” If the officer says you’re free to go, leave immediately and don’t answer any more questions. As the police state endeavors to legislate our rights into ever narrower parameters, it is more important than ever that we know our rights and understand the threats to our freedom and liberty. The police are counting on our continued ignorance, and we can no longer afford to remain oblivious to the abuses committed against the innocent by those tasked to “protect and serve.”

http://www.policestateusa.com/2013/man-assaulted-arrested-and-put-on-trial-for-walking-down-wrong-side-of-the-street/
Report Spam   Logged
Kilika
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2013, 05:45:30 am »

the way to find out if the police have reasonable suspicion is to determine if you’re free to go. You can do this by saying, “Excuse me officer. Are you detaining me, or am I free to go?”

The point is so that a person doesn't say anything that might incriminate themselves of a crime. And I wouldn't ask two questions. That's offering to engage WAY too many topics into the discussion that are not needed. Ask the one question, "Am I free to go?". And leave it at that.

The effort is to exercise your right to not speak without a lawyer present, and to determine if you are under arrest, which means you would then need to be officially informed that you are under arrest and be informed you have certain rights, like a lawyer for example.

If they say yes, your are free to go. Personally, I wouldn't say another word, I'd just leave, which is your right. The less time you spend interacting with Caesar, the less opportunity for hassles I'd say, God willing.
Report Spam   Logged
Mark
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2013, 07:25:56 pm »

Caught on Video: Off-Duty Deputy Attempts to Arrest Soldier at Restaurant – but It Was the Cop Who Went to Jail

Thank God there was someone there to record what happened.

As a confrontation at a restaurant in Columbia, S.C., quickly spun out of control, a witness began video recording the incident involving an off-duty deputy and a female soldier. The video shows the deputy attempting to arrest the soldier following an argument at the establishment.

However, veteran deputy and former U.S. Marine Paul Derrick, 49, was ultimately arrested and charged with assault after police reviewed the cellphone video and determined the cop acted inappropriately. He has also been placed on leave without pay following the Oct. 7 incident at Buffalo Wild Wings.

It all started when Derrick reportedly approached the female soldier, 23-year-old Brittany Bell from Fort Jackson, who was apparently upset at the time. She reportedly brushed Derrick off and the two began arguing.

Derrick, who was not in uniform, left the restaurant and retrieved his handcuffs, badge and firearm from his vehicle, according to police. Both individuals were reportedly drinking alcohol.

WIS-TV explains how the incident played out:

Derrick overpowered Ball, handcuffed her, pulled her to her feet, and slammed her head into a metal table, the report states. Ball, according to the report, was also drinking alcohol.

In the video, Derrick can be seen trying to force Ball to stand up after cuffing her hands behind her back.

At one point Ball is positioned over a table, and the table collapses.

A police officer who reviewed video of the incident reports hearing Derrick say, “This is how Marines deal with soldiers,” while slamming the woman into the table.

Watch the stunning video below: http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/10/15/caught-on-video-off-duty-deputy-attempts-to-arrest-soldier-at-restaurant-but-it-was-the-cop-who-went-to-jail/

It was not immediately clear if the deputy felt he had probable cause to arrest Bell that night.

When management later tried to intervene, as is customary with an unruly patron, Derrick ordered everyone to back away.

The Columbia Police Department eventually responded to the scene. But rather than backing up the deputy, the officers put him in handcuffs after reviewing the cellphone video shot by patron Steven Hughes.

“He watched maybe the first 30 seconds of it. And when he heard the Marine-Army comment he said, ‘Alright, things just changed. Arrest him, 10-37, and release her.’ And that’s when I said, ‘Sir, I know it’s hard, but that’s the right thing,’” Hughes told WIS-TV.

Police will hold a news conference on Wednesday to discuss the incident and possibly release more information.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/10/15/caught-on-video-off-duty-deputy-attempts-to-arrest-soldier-at-restaurant-but-it-was-the-cop-who-went-to-jail/
Report Spam   Logged

Mark
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2013, 10:33:24 am »

Citizens Rise Against Police Brutality Nationwide
Epidemic of police criminality finally gets public attention

It appears as though people finally have had enough. Following continuous police brutality, people are taking to the streets. It’s quite possible that the upcoming march and a rally against police brutality in Sacramento, CA, planned for October 22nd [1][2] and other protests nationwide [3][4] will serve more than just placing another brick in the wall against police brutality, but will also grow into a nationwide movement against police violence.

A heartbreaking video below, dedicated to the victims of police criminality is a must-watch documentary by every citizen in America. It boils down the real issue which is getting worse with time.

A painful documentary “No Justice No Peace: California’s Battle Against Police Brutality” cannot leave one indifferent. The suffering of the people whose family members were murdered by the killers cops is breaking one’s heart.

Although we can argue about the causes of this madness, the fact that police violence exist is unarguable. I completely agree with those who are saying that the system is racist and members of ethnic minority groups are at higher risk to get hurt, however, I don’t see racism at the root of this madness. The root of this, in my opinion, lays in the impunity with which cop crime continues. Knowing that they can get away with anything they do, the thugs on power trips are continuing to commit crimes under the guise of law. [5][6]

In support of my point of view I would offer just a few of the many examples which can hardly be seen as race driven phenomena.

First is the Rhode Island incident where police officer Edward Krawets was caught on camera kicking a handcuffed woman in the head.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rReKf0tDvOM&feature=player_embedded

Second is Cassandra Feuerstein’s case, a woman who was arrested on DUI charges and was pushed face-first into a jail cell bench, an incident which required her to get facial reconstructive surgery to replace the shattered bones.

In both cases the victims appear to be white and mindless power abuse appears to be evident.

It is quite obvious to me that unless cops will be held responsible and receive severe jail sentences for their actions, nothing will change. I have no doubt that jailing the cops would fix this problem overnight. Sentences like three years in the county jail or state prison for aggravated assault and/or battery charges against citizens and life in prison for murder would do the job. But whether this simple solution to a serious problem will become a reality, remains to be seen.

Sources:

[1] National day against police brutality – Allevents.com

[2] National day against police brutality Sacremento – Facebook

[3] Coalition to stop police brutality Seattle - Facebook

[4] http://www.october22.org/

[5] 5 Cops and a Dog Brutally Attack a 20-Year Old Kid – Intellihub

[6]Woman Arrested on DUI Charges Sexually Assaulted by Police Officers – Intellihub

http://beforeitsnews.com/alternative/2013/10/citizens-rise-against-police-brutality-nationwide-2800866.html
Report Spam   Logged

Mark
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2013, 11:48:26 am »

Police Officer Fired After Shooting and Pepper Spraying Squirrel

A Tennessee police officer has been fired after displaying heavy force in an attempt to rid a Dollar General Store of a squirrel.  The incident occurred last Thursday in Mountain City, when according to police documents, now-former Officer Jody Putnam found himself at the right place at the right time. Or the wrong place at the wrong time. Documents state that Putnam happened to be inside the Dollar General Store at the same time employees noticed a squirrel. That's when Putnam sprang into action, discharging his firearm at the squirrel inside the store. Unsuccessful, he moved on to option 2: pepper spray. 

"There was a lot of people that come out and just like me they came out and they were coughing and a hacking," Carl Duffield told WJHL-TV. "It was comical, but I'm sure they didn't feel that way - the customers that came out."

In Mountain City, whenever officers discharge their weapons, they are required to alert their supervisors and provide a written statement.   Putnam refused to file a report and was subsequently fired by the town's Board of Mayor and Alderman.

No information was given as to the condition of the squirrel other than the fact that he was dead.

http://www.breitbart.com/InstaBlog/2013/10/22/Police-Officer-Fired-After-Shooting-and-Pepper-Spraying-Squirrel
Report Spam   Logged

Kilika
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2013, 12:23:14 pm »

No information was given as to the condition of the squirrel other than the fact that he was dead.

So I guess eye witness reports claim the squirrel made a move toward the officer causing him to fear for his life. The officer likely saw something in the critters hand, which the officer thought was a weapon.  Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged
Mark
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2013, 10:51:33 am »

SWAT team raids investigative journalist's home, seizes confidential files...

A veteran Washington D.C. investigative journalist says the Department of Homeland Security confiscated a stack of her confidential files during a raid of her home in August — leading her to fear that a number of her sources inside the federal government have now been exposed.

In an interview with The Daily Caller, journalist Audrey Hudson revealed that the Department of Homeland Security and Maryland State Police were involved in a predawn raid of her Shady Side, Md. home on Aug. 6. Hudson is a former Washington Times reporter and current freelance reporter.

A search warrant obtained by TheDC indicates that the August raid allowed law enforcement to search for firearms inside her home.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2013/10/25/exclusive-feds-confiscate-investigative-reporters-confidential-files-during-raid/#ixzz2ikWsI17a

Woman strip-searched, tossed in jail for overdue traffic ticket...

A North Texas woman was handcuffed, stripped down and booked into jail – all because of an overdue traffic ticket.

It was just a ticket. Sarah Boaz was cited in August after an officer said she ran a stop sign.

Boaz lost the ticket, but said she knows it was wrong not to have paid it right away. Despite those missteps, she also says she never expected a late fee or penalty to land her in jail.

It happens in every city, every day, at just about every intersection. Drivers roll past stop signs, and through stoplights. But getting caught, and getting a ticket, is nothing compared to what Boaz got.

“I guess it was just frustrating to me, that a bill that I pay a month late, I end up in jail for,” she said.

rest: http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2013/10/24/woman-endures-strip-search-jail-time-for-overdue-ticket/
Report Spam   Logged

Mark
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2013, 06:02:53 am »

SWAT team raids investigative journalist's home, seizes confidential files...

A veteran Washington D.C. investigative journalist says the Department of Homeland Security confiscated a stack of her confidential files during a raid of her home in August — leading her to fear that a number of her sources inside the federal government have now been exposed.

In an interview with The Daily Caller, journalist Audrey Hudson revealed that the Department of Homeland Security and Maryland State Police were involved in a predawn raid of her Shady Side, Md. home on Aug. 6. Hudson is a former Washington Times reporter and current freelance reporter.

A search warrant obtained by TheDC indicates that the August raid allowed law enforcement to search for firearms inside her home.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2013/10/25/exclusive-feds-confiscate-investigative-reporters-confidential-files-during-raid/#ixzz2ikWsI17a

Federal agents' pre-dawn raid on reporter's home raises questions

Audrey Hudson’s husband had just left for work on August 6 when suddenly, her dog began barking. The nationally-known journalist walked over to the curtains and peeked outside to discover her Chesapeake Bay home was surrounded by law enforcement officers wearing full body armor.

The phone rang. It was her husband.

“I’m in the driveway,” he said. “The police are here. Open the door.”

And so began Hudson’s nightmare – held captive by armed agents of the U.S. Coast Guard, Maryland State Police and the Department of Homeland Security as they staged a pre-dawn raid in search of unregistered firearms and a “potato gun.”

“I think they found a great way to get into my house and get a hold of my confidential notes and go through every other file in my office."

- Audrey Hudson, journalist

But instead of taking the potato gun, agents seized unrelated government documents and notes from the former Washington Times journalist.

Agents took Hudson’s records during a search for guns and related items owned by her husband, a civilian Coast Guard employee. They also confiscated her legally registered firearms, according to court documents obtained by The Associated Press.

The armed agents held Hudson and her husband in the kitchen as they searched their home. At some point, one of the agents asked if she was the same person who had written a series of stories critical of the Federal Air Marshal program in the mid-2000s.

Hudson did indeed author those stories for The Washington Times.

“Those stories were embarrassing to the agency,” she told me.

It wasn’t until five weeks after the pre-dawn raid that Hudson realized agents had taken her private documents – documents that were not listed on the search warrant. At the time she was told that “miscellaneous documents” had been taken.

“I got a call from Homeland Security and they told me I could come pick up the documents,” she said. “The search warrant did not allow them to walk out with those documents. They clearly violated the search warrant.”

It appears the agents were on a fishing expedition. Hudson tells me her home is filled with boxes and boxes of files.

“But they only took five files – and all five had to do with the Federal Air Marshal stories,” she said.

The Coast Guard told The Associated Press its investigator was suspicious that the government documents in her possession were labeled “law enforcement sensitive.” However, they were returned after concluding Hudson had obtained them under the U.S. Freedom of Information Act.

But that doesn’t explain why the Coast Guard took her personal, handwritten notes. Nor does it explain why the Coast Guard accessed her personal Facebook page.

“I think they found a great way to get into my house and get a hold of my confidential notes and go through every other file in my office,” she said.

The Washington Times said Friday it is preparing legal action to fight what it called an unwarranted intrusion on the First Amendment.

“While we appreciate law enforcement’s right to investigate legitimate concerns, there is no reason for agents to use an unrelated gun case to seize the First Amendment protected materials of a reporter,” Times Editor John Solomon said.

The Coast Guard defended their actions. A spokesman said the warrant authorized police to search the family’s home for guns, ammunition, records of gun purchases, gun cleaning kits and other gun-related documents.

It should be noted that neither Hudson nor her husband have been arrested and no charges have been filed.

“We have absolutely no idea what this is all about,” Hudson told me.

I’ve got a pretty good idea. It’s about the federal government trying to intimidate an American journalist.

The Obama administration has a history of targeting journalists in their effort to root out leaks. The Associated Press noted that the raid on Hudson’s home came one month after Attorney General Eric Holder toughened the Justice Department’s rules for seizing reporters’ phone records, notes or emails using federal subpoenas or search warrants.

“This really can’t stand,” Hudson told me. “You cannot come into a journalist’s home under false pretenses with a bogus warrant and just waltz out with confidential files.”

So if you’re doing the constitutional math, I’d say the Obama administration has violated the Hudson family’s first, second and fourth amendment rights.

“Never in my wildest dreams would I have thought that state police and federal officers would come into my house at 4:30 in the morning to take my files without a federal subpoena,” she said.

It’s really not all that surprising the Obama administration would use a potato gun to trample the constitutional rights of an American citizen.

It’s a perfect tool for shredding potatoes – and the U.S. Constitution.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2013/10/28/federal-agents-pre-dawn-raid-on-reporter-home-raises-questions/?cmpid=NL_fntop
Report Spam   Logged

Kilika
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2013, 07:35:14 am »

“Never in my wildest dreams would I have thought that state police and federal officers would come into my house at 4:30 in the morning to take my files without a federal subpoena,” she said.

That was your second mistake. Your first mistake as a journalist, you should have done your homework, then you'd know governments have a history of tyranny against their opponents. That's how Caesar rolls!
Report Spam   Logged
Mark
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2014, 04:11:05 am »

Two Broward Deputies Accused Of Using Excessive Force

Two Broward Sheriff’s Office Deputies are under fire, accused of using excessive force—and all of it was caught on camera.

BSO is conducting an internal affairs investigation to find out if the two officers involved were justified in using force and are also questioning why Sheriff Scott Israel wasn’t notified until three months after the incident.

On February 18th, BSO says two of their deputies responded to a convenience store in Deerfield Beach for a report of a theft. 50-year-old David Gonzalez was their suspect.

The store manager, Mohamad Kabir, said a drunk and mumbling Gonzalez stole candy then tried to get beer, offering his watch as a trade.

“He was drunk,” said Kabir. “He said, take my watch give me the 12-pack beer.”

Kabir called police and asked them to give Gonzalez a trespass warning.

Surveillance cameras were rolling when deputies Justin Lambert and Mike Manresa arrived.

According to the deputies reports, Gonzalez was under the influence of alcohol and “acting very belligerent” towards them.

At one point, according to the complaint affidavit, Gonzalez raised his hand and lunged at the deputy while screaming profanities before resisting arrest.

Gonzalez was forced to the ground, according to the report, in order to secure handcuffs.

According to an arrest affidavit, Gonzalez was also combative with fire rescue and medical staff and had to be sedated because of his “belligerent and violent” actions.

One witness who wanted to remain anonymous, tells a different story.

“He didn’t fight back he didn’t resist or anything he was drunk almost unable to stand up on his own so they beat him up pretty bad for no reason,” said the witness.

Gonzalez was treated at the hospital for facial fractures and then taken to jail, charged with two counts of resisting arrest.

David Gonzalez

The agency said that Tuesday was the first time Sheriff Israel heard about the incident, when protocol is that an investigation begins within 24 hours.

BSO said that the deputies did file the use of force report, but it stayed on the sergeant’s desk.

“The deputies did do a use of force report, it was submitted to the sergeant, and, however, that’s where it stayed there on the sergeant’s desk. So what we’re looking at is why wasn’t the sheriff notified immediately, and also why hadn’t the sergeant forwarded that use of force report to his command,” said Veda Coleman-Wright with BSO.

The sheriff is looking into why the use of force report, which usually gets forwarded quickly, wasn’t given to the sergeant’s command.

The sheriff is also looking into whether any BSO policies and procedures were violated during the arrest.

This incident happened just three months after BSO shelled out $350,000 to settle a federal lawsuit involving Deputy Lambert, who allegedly beat and abused another Broward citizen.

Federal Documents obtained by CBS4 allege Deputy Lambert of “striking, pummeling and pounding” a party host while responding to a noise complaint in Dania Beach back in 2009.

Deputy Lambert ended up back on the streets, now embroiled in another internal investigation involving force. BSO says they are currently looking into why Lambert was allowed back on duty after that case.

http://miami.cbslocal.com/2014/04/30/two-broward-deputies-accused-of-using-excessive-force/
Report Spam   Logged

Mark
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2014, 04:13:32 am »

Deputy Lambert ended up back on the streets, now embroiled in another internal investigation involving force. BSO says they are currently looking into why Lambert was allowed back on duty after that case.

Why? Thats the kind of guy they want. Someone who terrorizes the people. This guy should have been fired and put in jail the first time. Cops are not your friend, not at all. They dont follow the law, they dont care about the law, and they believe they are above the law. And in most cases as we see here they usually are.
Report Spam   Logged

Mark
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2014, 02:43:20 pm »

University Place man dies after being tased by deputies

Neighbors who live near Ron Hillstrom say they knew something was not right early Monday morning.

It appeared Hillstrom was having some sort of episode in the parking lot of their University Place apartment complex. Neighbor Ashley Patterson said he was walking around in a circle asking for help.

"I see four officers walking up on him and they're like, 'It's the police,' and he's like 'You're not the police', and he goes to run in the circle and as soon as he comes back the police use four tasers at one time," Patterson said.

She said officers continued to tase him, and once they had him on the ground an officer used a flashlight to strike Hillstrom several times. Multiple residents told KOMO 4 a similar story, and several people also shot video of the incident on their cell phones.

Hillstrom died soon after being subdued. Witnesses say they saw him with a screw driver in one hand, but say he didn't use it to threaten law enforcement.

"Without seeing the whole entire incident in context, you're not going to know why that was happening. They, officers all that were there, are all on paid administrative leave while we review it and look into it and determine what happened. Whether there's a way we could do it better or if somebody did something that wasn't appropriate," said Ed Troyer with the Pierce County Sheriff's Office.

Troyer claims the Pierce County Medical Examiner found no blows to Hillstrom's head. However, the Medical Examiner's Office said the autopsy is not complete.

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/University-Place-man-dies-after-being-tased-by-deputies-259010521.html?tab=video&c=y
Report Spam   Logged

Mark
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2014, 10:02:15 am »

V.A. Cops Stomped On Veteran’s Head, Killing Him

The family of a 65 year-old veteran claims that VA police stomped on the veterans head and neck, causing him to suffer a stroke and die several weeks later, a new lawsuit alleges.

On May 25, 2011, Jonathan Montano was waiting several hours to undergo dialysis treatment at the Loma Linda VA facility when he grew frustrated, reports Courthouse News Service.

With an IV still in his arm, Montano made his way towards the hospital exit, saying that he would get treatment at the Long Beach VA facility instead.

Norma Montano, the veteran’s wife of 44 years, left the hospital to retrieve the couple’s car.

But VA police wouldn’t let Montano leave, the lawsuit alleges.

“The summoned VA Police Department police officers then stopped Jonathan Montano from leaving the VA Hospital in Loma Linda, by tackling him to the floor, slamming his head on the floor, and kneeing and stomping on his neck, and otherwise brutalizing and restraining him,” reads the lawsuit, according to Courthouse News.

“This kneeing and stomping on his neck by the VA Police Department police officers caused the dissection of his carotid artery, that resulted in immediate (or very soon thereafter) blood clotting, which resulted in [his] suffering a stroke. Moreover, the brutalization of Jonathan Montano resulted in him suffering other serious physical injuries, and associated physical, mental and emotional pain, suffering and distress.”

When Mrs. Montano came back into the hospital to find her husband, she was told that her husband had suffered a stroke.

But, she claims, hospital staff initially said Montano suffered the stroke after a fall — an “untrue statement,” the suit alleges.

“Later on, one of the nurses at the VA Hospital in Loma Linda took Norma Montano aside, and told her that her husband didn’t fall, but was slammed to the ground by the VA Police, that Norma Montano was being lied to, and that it wasn’t right what the VA Police did to Jonathan Montano,” the suit alleges.

Montano died several weeks after the stroke, on June 11, 2011.

With the lawsuit, the widow Montano and her children are seeking damages for wrongful death, assault and battery, false imprisonment, and negligence, the Courthouse News Service reports.

The suit comes as the Veterans Administration is embroiled in a wide-ranging scandal involving the alleged mistreatment of veterans at hospitals across the country. In those cases, hospitals have allegedly forced veterans to wait longer for treatment by placing them on secret waiting lists.

Montano’s case is not tied to the current scandal, his wife claims. Rather, it is a case of police brutality.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2014/05/27/family-alleges-va-police-killed-vet/#ixzz331TeF46w

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: