End Times and Current Events
March 28, 2024, 06:44:44 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: "Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me." John 5:39 (KJB)

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Yoga: How the New York Giants prepare for the Super Bowl

Shoutbox
March 27, 2024, 12:55:24 pm Mark says: Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked  When Hamas spokesman Abu Ubaida began a speech marking the 100th day of the war in Gaza, one confounding yet eye-opening proclamation escaped the headlines. Listing the motives for the Palestinian militant group's Oct. 7 massacre in Israel, he accused Jews of "bringing red cows" to the Holy Land.
December 31, 2022, 10:08:58 am NilsFor1611 says: blessings
August 08, 2018, 02:38:10 am suzytr says: Hello, any good churches in the Sacto, CA area, also looking in Reno NV, thanks in advance and God Bless you Smiley
January 29, 2018, 01:21:57 am Christian40 says: It will be interesting to see what happens this year Israel being 70 years as a modern nation may 14 2018
October 17, 2017, 01:25:20 am Christian40 says: It is good to type Mark is here again!  Smiley
October 16, 2017, 03:28:18 am Christian40 says: anyone else thinking that time is accelerating now? it seems im doing days in shorter time now is time being affected in some way?
September 24, 2017, 10:45:16 pm Psalm 51:17 says: The specific rule pertaining to the national anthem is found on pages A62-63 of the league rulebook. It states: “The National Anthem must be played prior to every NFL game, and all players must be on the sideline for the National Anthem. “During the National Anthem, players on the field and bench area should stand at attention, face the flag, hold helmets in their left hand, and refrain from talking. The home team should ensure that the American flag is in good condition. It should be pointed out to players and coaches that we continue to be judged by the public in this area of respect for the flag and our country. Failure to be on the field by the start of the National Anthem may result in discipline, such as fines, suspensions, and/or the forfeiture of draft choice(s) for violations of the above, including first offenses.”
September 20, 2017, 04:32:32 am Christian40 says: "The most popular Hepatitis B vaccine is nothing short of a witch’s brew including aluminum, formaldehyde, yeast, amino acids, and soy. Aluminum is a known neurotoxin that destroys cellular metabolism and function. Hundreds of studies link to the ravaging effects of aluminum. The other proteins and formaldehyde serve to activate the immune system and open up the blood-brain barrier. This is NOT a good thing."
http://www.naturalnews.com/2017-08-11-new-fda-approved-hepatitis-b-vaccine-found-to-increase-heart-attack-risk-by-700.html
September 19, 2017, 03:59:21 am Christian40 says: bbc international did a video about there street preaching they are good witnesses
September 14, 2017, 08:06:04 am Psalm 51:17 says: bro Mark Hunter on YT has some good, edifying stuff too.
View Shout History
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yoga: How the New York Giants prepare for the Super Bowl  (Read 310 times)
Psalm 51:17
Global Moderator

View Profile
« on: February 03, 2012, 08:41:23 pm »

2/3/12

How does a professional football team prepare for the Super Bowl?  Aside from typical running, throwing and strength training drills, the championship-bound New York Giants also reap the athletic benefits of season-long yoga sessions. 

Gwen Lawrence, celebrity yoga coach and spokesperson for Gaiam TV, has been teaching yoga for 22 years and working with the New York Giants for 11 years.

“The Giants were my first professional team,” Lawrence said, who specializes in different forms of yoga, including Iyengar, Hatha, and Ashtanga Vinyasa, to engage the entire body and mind.

Lawrence, who also works with the New York Knicks, Rangers and members of the Yankees, said she works with the Giants twice a week during pre-season to get the players in shape and prepare their bodies for the upcoming year.

“These are pretty active, high intensity classes,” Lawrence said.  “We do a lot of long, deep holds, some vinyasa.”

Vinyasa yoga, or “power yoga,” focuses on the alignment of movement and breath.  Each of the yoga poses are connected in flowing movements from one to the next. 

During the season, however, Lawrence said, her approach with the team changes. 

“In-season, I come in on Mondays and do post-game restorative work with the players,” she said.  “I can’t just go in there and kick their butts and expect full-body participation.”

The routine can change week-to-week, according to Lawrence, depending on how the players are feeling and which areas – such as their legs or their backs – are giving them problems.

“You also have to take into account the different positions,” Lawrence said.  “An offensive lineman is obviously different than a receiver – the demands on their bodies are different – but there are basic moves that benefit any position.”

Among these moves, Lawrence’s post-game favorites include pigeon poses, frog poses and hero poses.

The pigeon pose is a hip stretch that is done by bringing one knee forward and bending the leg in front of the body on the floor, while stretching the other leg out behind you.  Your arms can be placed on the ground beside your or held above your head.

“It’s a really deep hip opener that keeps your hips open and flexible,” Lawrence said.  “It also reduces strain and stress on vulnerable knees.

The frog pose, meanwhile, is done by lying face down, spreading your knees out on both sides and balancing on your heels, like a frog.  Extend your arms, one at a time, out on the floor in front of you.  The position opens the groin area and provides a slight back bend.

Finally, the hero pose is done by kneeling on the floor, with your thighs touching, perpendicular to the floor.  Set your feet apart slightly wider than your hips, with the tops of the feet flat on the floor and your big toes angled slightly inward. 

“It’s kneeling, keeping the quads open, and the ankles flexible and strong,” Lawrence said. 

All three of the moves, she said, are meant to improve flexibility, strength and prevent injuries.  “My philosophy is, strength plus flexibility equals power on the field.  Doing these moves not only keeps players less injury prone – because a tight, rigid body is more likely to crack and break – but they also translate into power.

“Think of it this way,” Lawrence explained.  “You have a bow and arrow, and the bow string is strong and unbreakable, but if it’s too tight, you can only pull it back an inch and the arrow flops down on the ground.  But when the string is flexible, you can pull it far back, and the arrow has more power.”

"When joints are open, strong and flexible like this, they can create more power with less effort on the field.  That way, they can stay on the field longer and win the game in the end.”

But physical toughness isn’t the only important benefit the players derive from yoga training, according to Lawrence. 

“We’re working on mental toughness, too,” she said.  “Sometimes you have players with pre-game anxiety, and the breathing techniques they learn in yoga can help them cope.”

Lawrence described how she helped a former Super Bowl champ deal with a medical condition while playing the game.

“One of the players I worked with – Amani Toomer [who played for the New York Giants the last time they won the Super Bowl in 2008] – he had asthma, and I taught him specific breathing techniques to help with that.”

The best aspect of practicing yoga with the players, Lawrence said, is that the moves aren’t solely meant for Super Bowl contenders. 

“I work with regular people and hear their problems; and I’ve worked with athletes for so long, I understand theirs as well – and honestly, it’s very similar,” Lawrence said.  “I have my athletes, but I also have my soccer moms and other people, and they love it.  It works well into their lives – and this goes across the board.  It’s not just an athlete thing.”

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/health/2012/02/03/yoga-how-new-york-giants-prepare-for-super-bowl/?intcmp=features#ixzz1lNRLLmrO
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: