End Times and Current Events
March 28, 2024, 05:12:10 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: "Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me." John 5:39 (KJB)

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Egypt a coup for Islamic fundamentalists

Shoutbox
March 27, 2024, 12:55:24 pm Mark says: Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked  When Hamas spokesman Abu Ubaida began a speech marking the 100th day of the war in Gaza, one confounding yet eye-opening proclamation escaped the headlines. Listing the motives for the Palestinian militant group's Oct. 7 massacre in Israel, he accused Jews of "bringing red cows" to the Holy Land.
December 31, 2022, 10:08:58 am NilsFor1611 says: blessings
August 08, 2018, 02:38:10 am suzytr says: Hello, any good churches in the Sacto, CA area, also looking in Reno NV, thanks in advance and God Bless you Smiley
January 29, 2018, 01:21:57 am Christian40 says: It will be interesting to see what happens this year Israel being 70 years as a modern nation may 14 2018
October 17, 2017, 01:25:20 am Christian40 says: It is good to type Mark is here again!  Smiley
October 16, 2017, 03:28:18 am Christian40 says: anyone else thinking that time is accelerating now? it seems im doing days in shorter time now is time being affected in some way?
September 24, 2017, 10:45:16 pm Psalm 51:17 says: The specific rule pertaining to the national anthem is found on pages A62-63 of the league rulebook. It states: “The National Anthem must be played prior to every NFL game, and all players must be on the sideline for the National Anthem. “During the National Anthem, players on the field and bench area should stand at attention, face the flag, hold helmets in their left hand, and refrain from talking. The home team should ensure that the American flag is in good condition. It should be pointed out to players and coaches that we continue to be judged by the public in this area of respect for the flag and our country. Failure to be on the field by the start of the National Anthem may result in discipline, such as fines, suspensions, and/or the forfeiture of draft choice(s) for violations of the above, including first offenses.”
September 20, 2017, 04:32:32 am Christian40 says: "The most popular Hepatitis B vaccine is nothing short of a witch’s brew including aluminum, formaldehyde, yeast, amino acids, and soy. Aluminum is a known neurotoxin that destroys cellular metabolism and function. Hundreds of studies link to the ravaging effects of aluminum. The other proteins and formaldehyde serve to activate the immune system and open up the blood-brain barrier. This is NOT a good thing."
http://www.naturalnews.com/2017-08-11-new-fda-approved-hepatitis-b-vaccine-found-to-increase-heart-attack-risk-by-700.html
September 19, 2017, 03:59:21 am Christian40 says: bbc international did a video about there street preaching they are good witnesses
September 14, 2017, 08:06:04 am Psalm 51:17 says: bro Mark Hunter on YT has some good, edifying stuff too.
View Shout History
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Egypt a coup for Islamic fundamentalists  (Read 19497 times)
Charrington

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2012, 11:11:31 pm »

It is all doom and gloom for the Egyptian pro-democracy activists who strove in last year's January Revolution to bring an end to Hosni Mubarak's 30-year authoritarian rule.

A sombre mood hung over many Friday evening after learning that neither liberal ex-Muslim Brotherhood figure, Abdel-Moneim Abul-Fotouh, nor leftist candidate, Hamdeen Sabbahi, made it to the final run-off round of this historic presidential election.

Rubbing salt into the wound, the Brotherhood's Mohamed Mursi and Ahmed Shafiq, who served as prime minister in Mubarak's final days in power, came first and second, respectively, following two days of voting which kept millions of Egyptians holding their breath.

As expected, the first round of the election had failed to provide a clear winner (who would have needed at least 50+1% of the vote) producing instead the two front runners who will runoff in elections for Egypt's first post-revolutionary president.

"I'm dejected, I want to leave the country," Amer El-Wakil, senior coordinator of the Egyptian Revolutionary Alliance, told Ahram's Arabic-language portal in a phone interview before bursting into tears.

"Why should I stay here? Who should I vote for? Who should I support? I can see now in front of me the image of the revolution martyrs who were killed on the 28th of January [one of the most bloody crackdowns against protesters in 2011]."

"I don't know what those people [who voted for Shafiq and Mursi] want. Do they want us to commit suicide? If we take to the streets they will accuse us of rebelling against democracy," he added.

Shafiq is a staunch opponent of the youth activists, who played a key role in driving him out from office through incessant street protests in March 2011. They believe he will follow in the footsteps of Mubarak if he is elected president.

On Mursi, revolutionaries cannot really tell whether he is friend or foe. The Brotherhood fought with Tahrir protesters side by side during the 18-day uprising but the honeymoon was soon over.

The revolutionaries accused the Brotherhood, long oppressed under Mubarak, of abandoning them and "betraying the revolution."

Many revolutionaries and intellectuals speculate that the Brotherhood had a quid pro quo deal with Egypt's ruling Supreme Council of the Armed Forces (SCAF), and therefore, the Brotherhood didn't participate alongside revolutionaries in any of the protests after the ouster of Mubarak on 11 February, 2011.

The revolutionaries fought on, determined to achieve the aims of the January 25 Revolution, fought under the banner of "bread, freedom and social justice." They were convinced SCAF was bent on subverting their revolution while restoring Mubarak's regime in some form or another. In most of the ongoing protests that often brought hundreds of thousands back on the streets, the Brotherhood was conspicuously absent, joining SCAF in condemning the protests, often using almost identical discourse to that of SCAF and the Mubarak regime.

Many within the revolutionary camp are also deeply worried the Brotherhood may attempt to implement sharia (Islamic) law, curb freedoms and monopolise power.

Self-blame

The revolutionaries found it hard to explain what went wrong, but blamed themselves for failing to stand by a sole candidate in a tough battle that eventually defied many expectations and predictions.

Initially, many seemed to prefer Abul-Fotouh, widely seen as a moderate Islamist who was excluded by the Brotherhood for failing to stick to the organisation's earlier pledge not to field a candidate in the presidential elections.

However, leftist Sabbahi, who's been a die-hard Mubarak critic during the past three decades, emerged as a genuine contender, almost out of the blue, in the last few weeks before the elections.

Finishing third behind Mursi and Shafiq, Sabbahi outshone Abul-Fotouh to prove the dark horse of the elections.

"It is not the peoples' problem that candidates not associated with the old regime split their votes," said famed Egyptian activist, Wael Ghoneim, founder of a Facebook page that played a large role in helping trigger the January 2011 revolution that toppled Mubarak.

"We should blame Sabbahi and Abul-Fotouh because both of them failed to correctly assess and estimate the current political situation. Each one of them opted to continue the presidential race alone."

Nesma Youssef, a member in Abul-Fotouh's campaign, lashed out at both her favourite candidate and Sabbahi right after being let down by the vote's early indications, which showed that Mursi and Shafiq had the upper hand.

"I didn't sleep until 4am," she said. "How did Shafiq get all these votes? Really, how? I am extremely depressed. I will pray that Hamdeen Sabbahi and Abul-Fotouh will be cursed for leaving us to choose between Shafiq and Mursi in the runoffs.

"One of them should have stepped down for the other, just like Abdallah El-Ashaal helped Mursi in polling stations. We wouldn’t have lost. I am in shock."

Mursi support?

The pro-democracy activists will probably have to mull over the run off when they finish licking their wounds. A heated debate has already started over whether they should support Mursi against bitter foe Shafiq.

Mursi is expected to face stiff competition from Shafiq if he is to become the new president and hand the Brotherhood more power after they swept the parliamentary elections earlier this year.

According to analysts, Mursi will need to garner many of the votes that went towards Sabbahi and Abul-Fotouh to avoid being defeated at the hands of the former aviation minister (Shafiq), who is backed by the state and has a strong appeal to a section of the public yearning for a return to order and stability.

In an apparent attempt to win over youth activists, the Brotherhood hinted that they might take on Abul-Fotouh or Sabbahi as vice president if Mursi wins the runoff, scheduled to take place on 16 and 17 June.

"There are relentless efforts to restore the Mubarak regime, but the people and the revolutionaries will not allow them to do so," the Brotherhood said on its Twitter account.

"Our goal is to create a united national front representing all stakeholders to stop Shafiq."

Renowned writers Alaa El-Aswani and Belal Fadl, the first a prominent supporter of Sabbahi and the second of Abul-Fotouh, revealed they would vote for Mursi "to save the revolution."

Rights lawyer Gamal Eid, director of the Arab Network for Human Rights Information (ANHRI), admitted that he does not trust the Brotherhood but would still vote for them in the runoff.

"The Brotherhood may either suppress us or be fair, but I'm sure Shafiq would cleanse the country of the revolution and take revenge against the youth," he said in alarm.

Many revolutionaries, however, remained either undecided or opted for boycotting the runoff election altogether. Nawara Negm, one of the country's most prominent revolutionary bloggers tweeted: "The Muslim Brotherhood are liars and the Military are treacherous, and thus we are boycotting, boycotting. Down with the rule of the Military and the Brotherhood."

http://english.ahram.org.eg/NewsContent/36/122/42909/Presidential-elections-/Presidential-elections-news/Elections-nightmare-scenario-leaves-Egypt-revoluti.aspx
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: