End Times and Current Events
March 28, 2024, 07:01:13 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome To End Times and Current Events.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Being Homeless Now Illegal?

Shoutbox
March 27, 2024, 12:55:24 pm Mark says: Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked  When Hamas spokesman Abu Ubaida began a speech marking the 100th day of the war in Gaza, one confounding yet eye-opening proclamation escaped the headlines. Listing the motives for the Palestinian militant group's Oct. 7 massacre in Israel, he accused Jews of "bringing red cows" to the Holy Land.
December 31, 2022, 10:08:58 am NilsFor1611 says: blessings
August 08, 2018, 02:38:10 am suzytr says: Hello, any good churches in the Sacto, CA area, also looking in Reno NV, thanks in advance and God Bless you Smiley
January 29, 2018, 01:21:57 am Christian40 says: It will be interesting to see what happens this year Israel being 70 years as a modern nation may 14 2018
October 17, 2017, 01:25:20 am Christian40 says: It is good to type Mark is here again!  Smiley
October 16, 2017, 03:28:18 am Christian40 says: anyone else thinking that time is accelerating now? it seems im doing days in shorter time now is time being affected in some way?
September 24, 2017, 10:45:16 pm Psalm 51:17 says: The specific rule pertaining to the national anthem is found on pages A62-63 of the league rulebook. It states: “The National Anthem must be played prior to every NFL game, and all players must be on the sideline for the National Anthem. “During the National Anthem, players on the field and bench area should stand at attention, face the flag, hold helmets in their left hand, and refrain from talking. The home team should ensure that the American flag is in good condition. It should be pointed out to players and coaches that we continue to be judged by the public in this area of respect for the flag and our country. Failure to be on the field by the start of the National Anthem may result in discipline, such as fines, suspensions, and/or the forfeiture of draft choice(s) for violations of the above, including first offenses.”
September 20, 2017, 04:32:32 am Christian40 says: "The most popular Hepatitis B vaccine is nothing short of a witch’s brew including aluminum, formaldehyde, yeast, amino acids, and soy. Aluminum is a known neurotoxin that destroys cellular metabolism and function. Hundreds of studies link to the ravaging effects of aluminum. The other proteins and formaldehyde serve to activate the immune system and open up the blood-brain barrier. This is NOT a good thing."
http://www.naturalnews.com/2017-08-11-new-fda-approved-hepatitis-b-vaccine-found-to-increase-heart-attack-risk-by-700.html
September 19, 2017, 03:59:21 am Christian40 says: bbc international did a video about there street preaching they are good witnesses
September 14, 2017, 08:06:04 am Psalm 51:17 says: bro Mark Hunter on YT has some good, edifying stuff too.
View Shout History
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Being Homeless Now Illegal?  (Read 4400 times)
Mark
Administrator

View Profile
« on: January 25, 2012, 01:38:27 pm »

Florida law would turn its publicly funded ballparks and stadiums into homeless shelters

That just does not sound good does it

Could the new Marlins ballpark or the Tampa Bay Rays' Tropicana Field serve as a homeless shelter for the 270 or so nights a year that they're not used for baseball?

If two Florida lawmakers have their way, they might. As reported by the Miami Herald, state legislators have unearthed an obscure law that has not been enforced since it was adopted in 1988. It states that any ballpark or stadium that receives taxpayer money shall serve as a homeless shelter on the dates that it is not in use.

rest: http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/florida-law-turn-ballparks-homeless-shelters-151458504.html
Report Spam   Logged

What can you do for Jesus?  Learn what 1 person can accomplish.

The Man from George Street
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkjMvPhLrn8

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Kilika
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 02:37:48 pm »

It states that any ballpark or stadium that receives taxpayer money shall serve as a homeless shelter on the dates that it is not in use.

Ooops!  Grin

I laugh at this in the sense that it is ironic that it is the wealthy and basically only the people that can afford the games at those stadiums, which leaves everybody else outside. And this law says they have to share it with the homeless if it gets public money. Most stadiums are public/private ventures where also those rich folks like to lounge in their private boxes, that's funded by public money.

On a very serious note, yes, it has an unnerving aspect to it's potential. "Herding" people into confined spaces for any length of time beyond say a day isn't ever good. History has proven that.
Report Spam   Logged
Kilika
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 04:03:40 am »

In some cities, being homeless is considered a crime. Columbia, South Carolina just joined the group, and it's hard to believe the attitudes of the city council members that passed the law...(a classic case of the love of money)

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/08/28/south-carolina-capital-city-forces-its-homeless-out/?intcmp=HPBucket

South Carolina city makes being homeless illegal

By Barnini Chakraborty
Published August 28, 2013
FoxNews.com

WASHINGTON –  South Carolina’s capital city is dishing out some southern discomfort following a controversial decision to criminalize its homeless.

On Aug. 13, the Columbia City Council approved a plan that effectively makes homelessness illegal in parts of the city. The proposal forces those who sleep outdoors to be sent to a shelter on the outskirts of town. Those who don’t comply will be rounded up and forced to leave or sent to the slammer.

“It’s basically a choice between two kinds of jail,” Jake Maguire, spokesman for Community Solutions’ 100,000 Homes Campaign, told FoxNews.com. “There’s jail and then there’s the shelter.”

He added, “Once you get there, you can’t come and go. You are basically brought to a place where you are expected to stay. If you want to go back downtown, you have to get approval for them to shuttle you back.”

But Councilman Cameron Runyan, the man behind the proposal, believes moving Columbia’s homeless shelter 15 miles from the city’s downtown area can cut crime and draw in more businesses and opportunities.

“If we don’t take care of this big piece of our community and our society, it will erode the entire foundation of what we’re trying to build in this city,” Runyan told the council. “What I see is a giant risk to business.”

Under Runyan’s “Emergency Homeless Response” plan, homeless-looking people in the city’s 36-block downtown district will be asked by police to move to a shelter on the outskirts of the Columbia. If a person refuses, they could be arrested on a range of public nuisance laws.

Once at the shelter, the only way to leave is by reserving a shuttle ride. To make sure the homeless don’t return, a police officer will be stationed on the road leading to the downtown district to keep the homeless away.

The plan has received support from Columbia’s business leaders who say the city’s homeless problem has been their eroding economic opportunities for decades.

“As small business owners on Main Street, we see firsthand how the homeless crisis is affecting the city,” Jessica and Joe Kastiner, owners of Paradise Ice, told the city council. “Please think of the everyday citizens, the revitalization of Columbia and the safety of everyone.”

Columbia attorney Eric Bland agrees.

“The history of the homeless situation in our city is filled with empty promises, confusing rhetoric and lack of accountability,” Bland told city officials. “I will be there every step of the way to support this most worthy plan.”

Runyan believes he’s giving the city’s homeless options but Maguire and others believe his plan is flawed because it does not address the root causes of homelessness, tackle permanent solutions or accurately weigh the economic impacts of shuttling the homeless to shelters instead of securing permanent housing.

On average, permanent supportive housing – which includes an apartment and services like rehabilitation – costs around $16,000-$18,000 a year. To keep a person at a shelter for a year costs $22,000, Maguire said. 

Maria Foscarinis, the executive director of the National Law Center on Homelessness and Poverty, called Columbia’s plan “an extreme, highly disturbing example.”

But Columbia is not alone. This summer, Portland, Ore., and Tampa, Fla., also initiated steps to boot out their homeless.

Portland’s Mayor Charlie Hales announced last month he was fed up with the growing number of homeless people camped outside the steps of City Hall and vowed to use the law to crack down on the practice. Portland prohibits “camping” on public property.

Last week, five homeless residents were rounded up and arrested, and the mayor’s office says that’s just the beginning.

Following those arrests, Portland police promised to start rigorously enforcing the city’s camping ban everywhere. There are an estimated 1,700 homeless in Portland.

Dana Haynes, a spokesman for Hales, said the city is arming Portland police with a list of places where the homeless are known to sleep or “camp” at night. 

The Tampa City Council passed a new ordinance 4-3 in July that would allow police officers to arrest anyone they see sleeping in public or “storing personal property in public.”

According to a 2012 homeless study by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, five states account for nearly half of the nation’s total homeless population. They are: California, New York, Florida, Texas and Georgia.

The 2012 Point-in-Time Estimates of Homelessness study also found that among mid-sized cities, Tampa and its surrounding area had the highest number of homeless individuals at 7,419.

During the 1990s, then New York City Mayor Rudolph Giuliani planned to remove homeless people from shelters if they refused to work. New York City cops also started handing out $76 citations to the homeless who “camped in public.”
Report Spam   Logged
Kilika
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2013, 04:01:33 am »

It's an on-going issue; homelessness, and some states and cities do everything they can to "clean up" their cities of those pesky homeless people. They claim anything they can, be it drugs, theft, disease, you name, they claim homeless people cause it. And it always points back to one thing; merchants complaining to government that homeless people are driving away business.

Well, a Hawaii legislator has an idea on how to cut down theft by the homeless; clean up the streets of shopping carts! I wouldn't be surprised if he goes after grocery bags so the thieving homeless have no place to put their stolen goods!  Roll Eyes

And he says he's not ruled out taking shopping carts directly from homeless people who are using them. Why don't he take way their blankets too, as they might be hiding stolen goods under their blankets!

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/11/19/hawaii-legislator-smashes-shopping-carts-to-deal-with-homeless-issue/?intcmp=latestnews

Hawaii legislator smashes shopping carts to deal with homeless issue

Published November 19, 2013
FoxNews.com

One Hawaii state legislator has a smashing idea for dealing with the state’s homeless population.

State Rep. Tom Brower, D-23, is walking around with a sledgehammer in his spare time so he can destroy abandoned shopping carts that may be used by the homeless in an effort to dissuade theft, Hawaii News Now reported.

“I got tired of telling people I’m trying to pass laws,” Brower told the outlet. “I want to do something practical that will really clean up the streets.”

Brower added that he returns good shopping carts to stores, and hasn’t yet taken a cart from a homeless person, though he hasn’t ruled out doing so in the future.

Critics are hammering Brower over the approach.

“There are some people who are not that stable and maybe drug-affected that could really react to him,” Connie Mitchell of the Institute for Human Services told the outlet.

Brower insists that his method isn’t intended to intimidate.

“I don’t want to be threatening to anybody,” he said. “I think it’s threatening to steal things and then walk around with them like it’s their own.”

As some here know, I spent nearly 3 years "homeless" on the streets of the Hawaiian islands, mostly in Waikiki, and the Puna District of the Big Island. During my time there, there was a constant battle between the homeless and authorities and business, especially the cart vendors at the "International Market Place". Admittedly, some homeless make it bad for all with their actions, but my experience found those like society in general, were the extreme exception. Most homeless do what they can to stay out of the way of society. The homeless people who are thieves and robbers, drunks, and drug addicts, they aren't a problem because of being homeless, it's a problem they are drunks and robbers.

Society wants to treat the homeless like they have some disease, so they push them aside and try to not deal with them. They toss some cash at a non-profit and tell them to deal with it, then pat themselves on the back for the "good deed" they think they did. Saw it all the time in my day.

In Hawaii, at least when I was there, the city and police weren't rabid about getting the homeless out of the tourist areas, but the effort was definitely made. Police seemed to be easy to moderate towards the homeless from what I saw, even first hand. They didn't hassle them too much, which me and the brethren there made sure we told who we could we really appreciated their effort to not be the bad guys. If a person made an effort to not be a problem, the police basically left you alone. Even at night, several of us would sleep in the Waikiki "Rose Garden", a small public park, but would be up and gone by sun up, so the police didn't mess with us, and let us sleep there. But we knew also that meant the police knew exactly where we were each night, so it was a trade off of sorts, as everybody eventually knew we were there and how to find us. It boils down to how you deal with others, if your really loving your neighbor.
Report Spam   Logged
Mark
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2013, 06:35:29 am »

Christian Ministry Threatened With Jail Time for Serving Local Homeless and Elderly

Liberty Institute and Independence Law Center, on behalf of its client Isaiah 61 Ministries—a well-established nonprofit Christian ministry serving homeless and elderly people in Harrisburg, Pa.—submitted a demand letter Monday to Dauphin County commissioners for wrongfully pushing a Christian ministry off of public property and threatening to arrest ministry workers and volunteers if they continue their ministry on county property.

“Serving the homeless and elderly is a central tenet of the Christian faith,” says Jeremy Dys, Liberty Institute attorney. “Those who exercise their faith by caring for the poor on the streets of Harrisburg ought to be applauded for their kindness, not threatened with jail time.”

Randall Wenger, counsel for the Independence Law Center, says, “All too often, our leaders lose sight of our core liberties. We need more freedom to fix the problems around us, not more government control that simply gets in the way.”

Every week for more than five years, staff and volunteers associated with Isaiah 61 Ministries have provided meals, toiletries, clothing and other forms of assistance to the homeless men and women of Harrisburg, as well as to the poor and elderly. Because of the recent threats made by the Dauphin County commission, Isaiah 61 Ministries and several other ministries engaged in similar religious exercises throughout the rest of the week have been unable to serve those most in need of help at this time of year.

In the demand letter sent Tuesday, Liberty Institute notes the Dauphin County officials’ actions violate the First Amendment to the Constitution of the United States of America, Article 1, § 3 of the Constitution of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, and the Pennsylvania Religious Freedom Protection Act. It simply asks that these ministries be permitted to continue their acts of Christian charity on public property.

http://www.charismanews.com/us/41820-christian-ministry-threatened-with-jail-time-for-serving-local-homeless-and-elderly?utm
Report Spam   Logged

Psalm 51:17
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2013, 10:04:28 am »

As some here know, I spent nearly 3 years "homeless" on the streets of the Hawaiian islands, mostly in Waikiki, and the Puna District of the Big Island. During my time there, there was a constant battle between the homeless and authorities and business, especially the cart vendors at the "International Market Place". Admittedly, some homeless make it bad for all with their actions, but my experience found those like society in general, were the extreme exception. Most homeless do what they can to stay out of the way of society. The homeless people who are thieves and robbers, drunks, and drug addicts, they aren't a problem because of being homeless, it's a problem they are drunks and robbers.

Society wants to treat the homeless like they have some disease, so they push them aside and try to not deal with them. They toss some cash at a non-profit and tell them to deal with it, then pat themselves on the back for the "good deed" they think they did. Saw it all the time in my day.

In Hawaii, at least when I was there, the city and police weren't rabid about getting the homeless out of the tourist areas, but the effort was definitely made. Police seemed to be easy to moderate towards the homeless from what I saw, even first hand. They didn't hassle them too much, which me and the brethren there made sure we told who we could we really appreciated their effort to not be the bad guys. If a person made an effort to not be a problem, the police basically left you alone. Even at night, several of us would sleep in the Waikiki "Rose Garden", a small public park, but would be up and gone by sun up, so the police didn't mess with us, and let us sleep there. But we knew also that meant the police knew exactly where we were each night, so it was a trade off of sorts, as everybody eventually knew we were there and how to find us. It boils down to how you deal with others, if your really loving your neighbor.

Thank you for sharing this here - also add Churchiantiy to this list of those that pat themselves on the back for doing "good deeds". With the possible exception of their so-called "soup kitchens", I don't ever recall them doing anything for the homeless. Part of the reason is b/c they bought into this Reagan-Republicanism deception(where they have this attitude that if you want to have a good living, you have to work hard in your career. And then this whole consumerism economy nonsense). And then the other part being that they are more concerned with their expensive buildings and "ministries".

I don't recall Jesus ever ignoring the homeless et al when he did his 3.5 year ministry on earth.

Luke 10:30  And Jesus answering said, A certain man went down from Jerusalem to Jericho, and fell among thieves, which stripped him of his raiment, and wounded him, and departed, leaving him half dead.
Luk 10:31  And by chance there came down a certain priest that way: and when he saw him, he passed by on the other side.
Luk 10:32  And likewise a Levite, when he was at the place, came and looked on him, and passed by on the other side.
Luk 10:33  But a certain Samaritan, as he journeyed, came where he was: and when he saw him, he had compassion on him,
Luk 10:34  And went to him, and bound up his wounds, pouring in oil and wine, and set him on his own beast, and brought him to an inn, and took care of him.
Luk 10:35  And on the morrow when he departed, he took out two pence, and gave them to the host, and said unto him, Take care of him; and whatsoever thou spendest more, when I come again, I will repay thee.
Luk 10:36  Which now of these three, thinkest thou, was neighbour unto him that fell among the thieves?
Luk 10:37  And he said, He that shewed mercy on him. Then said Jesus unto him, Go, and do thou likewise.

Report Spam   Logged
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2013, 11:22:30 am »

Here's this passage in the book of James where some have this misperception that salvation is faith and works.

You really have to look at the context of this passage - for one, it says that works FOLLOWS faith(meaning you don't put the cart before the horse). And two, look at the works THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT(ie-it doesn't say to set up a "soup kitchen" or some "non-profit organization" for the entire world to see).

James 2:14  What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him?
Jas 2:15  If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily food,
Jas 2:16  And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be ye warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what doth it profit?
Jas 2:17  Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.
Jas 2:18  Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.
Jas 2:19  Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.
Jas 2:20  But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?
Jas 2:21  Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar?
Jas 2:22  Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect?
Jas 2:23  And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God.
Jas 2:24  Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only.
Jas 2:25  Likewise also was not Rahab the harlot justified by works, when she had received the messengers, and had sent them out another way?
Jas 2:26  For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The ones in bolded(talking about "works") - notice that they're talking about when opportunities are given to you RIGHT AT THE MOMENT, and it's not like you have to run around town, set up "organizations", etc. Like the first one bolded says, if you see a brother hungry and in needy of clothes, do you turn him away, or do you tend to him? Same with Rahab the harlot - she was given the opportunity when they came up to her. It wasn't like she advertised herself like Alex Jones does as this big "patriot defender".

I bring this passage up b/c we're seeing this with the homeless, especially in the present day - for the most part, you just don't see the modern-day church system reaching out to them individually, no matter how close they may be.
Report Spam   Logged
Mark
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2013, 05:40:53 am »

One Lawmaker Is Literally Smashing The Belongings Of The Homeless With A Sledgehammer

There is a war on compassion in America today.  You are about to read about a Hawaii lawmaker that has used a sledgehammer to smash up at least 30 shopping carts that homeless people were using.  Yes, you read that correctly.  He is actually carrying a sledgehammer around so that he can destroy the belongings of homeless people.  He claims that it is his intention "to do something practical that will really clean up the streets".  But as crazy as that sounds, the truth is that he is not alone.  As you will read about below, there are dozens of major cities all over the country where feeding the homeless has been banned.  In many of these instances, public officials are very open about the fact that the goal is to make their cities "cleaner" and "safer" places to live.  They simply do not want the homeless around.  In fact, there are some cities such as San Diego and San Francisco where social workers are actually giving homeless people one-way bus tickets out of town.  If you doubt this, just keep reading.  The United States is becoming a very cold, heartless place, and homeless people are increasingly being treated like human garbage in this country.  So how bad will the treatment of the homeless become when the economy gets really bad?

When I first heard about a state representative out in Hawaii that was using a sledgehammer to go after homeless people, I could hardly believe it.  But it is actually true.  The following is a short excerpt from an RT article that was published earlier this week...

In the past two weeks residents in Hawaii noticed what appeared to be a crazed individual carrying a sledgehammer through the streets of Honolulu, a state lawmaker looking to rid the city of homeless people by targeting their belongings.

State Representative Tom Brower (D) is currently dedicated to dealing out his own personal brand of “justice” by seeking out homeless people and destroying their possessions. Brower estimates that he has used the sledgehammer to smash at least 30 shopping carts, rendering them useless by bashing in the front wheels.

“I got tired of telling people I’m trying to pass laws. I want to do something practical that will really clean up the streets,” he told Hawaii News Now. “I find abandoned junk, specifically shopping carts, and I remove them.”
How cold and heartless can one person possibly be?

The truth is that almost all of us are just a few bad breaks from being out on the street.

Hasn't he ever needed a helping hand at some point in his life?

Unfortunately, government control freaks are cracking down on those that are trying to provide that "helping hand" all over the nation.  For example, one Christian ministry in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania has recently been threatened with jail time for feeding the homeless...

Every week for more than five years, staff and volunteers associated with Isaiah 61 Ministries have provided meals, toiletries, clothing and other forms of assistance to the homeless men and women of Harrisburg, as well as to the poor and elderly. Because of the recent threats made by the Dauphin County commission, Isaiah 61 Ministries and several other ministries engaged in similar religious exercises throughout the rest of the week have been unable to serve those most in need of help at this time of year.
And in a previous article I wrote about an organization called Love Wins Ministries that made national headlines when police in Raleigh, North Carolina threatened to arrest them if they continued to distribute sausage biscuits and coffee to homeless people living in the heart of the city.  The following is from a first-hand account from someone who actually witnessed the police threats...

On the morning of Saturday, August, 24, Love Wins showed up at Moore Square at 9:00 a.m., just like we have done virtually every Saturday and Sunday for the last six years. We provide, without cost or obligation, hot coffee and a breakfast sandwich to anyone who wants one. We keep this promise to our community in cooperation with five different, large suburban churches that help us with manpower and funding.

On that morning three officers from Raleigh Police Department prevented us from doing our work, for the first time ever. An officer said, quite bluntly, that if we attempted to distribute food, we would be arrested.

Our partnering church brought 100 sausage biscuits and large amounts of coffee. We asked the officers for permission to disperse the biscuits to the over 70 people who had lined up, waiting to eat. They said no. I had to face those who were waiting and tell them that I could not feed them, or I would be arrested.
Sadly, these are not isolated incidents.  This kind of thing is happening all over the nation.

In fact, according to USA Today more than 50 other cities have passed laws against feeding the homeless...

Atlanta, Phoenix, San Diego, Los Angeles, Miami, Oklahoma City and more than 50 other cities have previously adopted some kind of anti-camping or anti-food-sharing laws, according to the National Law Center on Homelessness & Poverty.
And as I mentioned at the top of this article, some major cities are so disgusted by the homeless that they are actually giving them one-way bus tickets to other cities...

When her Greyhound bus pulled into town 6 months ago, Maria Castillo got off with two bags and dream.

"Start over, start a new life," said the 42-year-old.

Castillo had been homeless in San Diego when a social worker offered her a one-way bus ticket to Portland.

"They said come here because all the opportunities in Portland, Oregon," she said.

But Castillo said life isn't much better in her new town. She's still homeless. A Unit 8 investigation found several cities from San Diego to San Francisco are providing one-way bus tickets to the homeless.
When I saw that San Francisco was doing this, I just had to chuckle.  San Francisco holds itself out as a "progressive" city that is a "model" for the rest of the nation to follow, and yet they are so disgusted by homeless people that they are giving them one-way tickets up to Portland.

What in the world is happening to America?

And this crisis is only going to get even worse in the years ahead.  I write frequently about how the level of poverty in this country is growing very rapidly.  If you doubt this, please see my previous article entitled "29 Incredible Facts Which Prove That Poverty In America Is Absolutely Exploding".

When people think of the homeless, they often think of drunk bums sleeping on benches in our public parks.  But the truth is that the ranks of the homeless include vast numbers of adults that would gladly work if they could, and the ranks of the homeless also include vast numbers of children.

Right now, there are 1.2 million public school students in America that are homeless.  That is a new all-time record, and that number has grown by 72 percent since the start of the last recession.

There are so many people out there that are deeply hurting right now, but the control freaks that are running things don't want us to help our neighbors.

The control freaks that are running things just want the homeless to go away so that their cities can be shiny and clean and pleasant for visitors that actually have money.

Well, I don't care what those control freaks say.  If I see someone that needs food or water, I am going to help that person out no matter what the "regulations" say.

And all of the cities that are banning feeding the homeless are literally cursing themselves.  As a society, we will be judged on how we treat our most vulnerable members, and right now America is failing badly in this regard on a whole host of fronts.

The United States is steadily becoming a very cold-hearted place.  Do not let that happen to you personally.  Please remember to do what you can to love your less fortunate neighbors this winter.

Our society is literally starting to come apart at the seams right in front of our eyes.

In this kind of an environment, we are going to need a whole lot more love and compassion than we are seeing right now.

http://theeconomiccollapseblog.com/archives/one-lawmaker-is-literally-smashing-the-belongings-of-the-homeless-with-a-sledgehammer
Report Spam   Logged

Mark
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2013, 08:55:28 am »

Tent city residents could face fines for burning wood

Homeless people who have set up a makeshift tent city near the Jersey Shore could face fines from police if they burn wood to stay warm this winter.

Lakewood Township ordinances ban burning wood outdoors and township police vow to start handing out tickets next week, although the amount of the fine remained unclear, according to APP.

The encampment in Ocean County houses about 100 people and has been the subject of a documentary called "Destiny's Bridge."

There has been a continuing legal battle between the township of Lakewood and the tent city because the neighborhood is set up on public property.  Lakewood Township wants the campers off of the land.

Minister Steve Brigham organized the encampment and says residents are not using taxpayer money, they simply cannot afford housing on their own.

Lakewood is not the only community that has a tent city, there are others in Camden, Toms River, Union City, Hoboken, Browns Mills and other localities.

http://www.my9nj.com/Story/24033668/tent-city-residents-could-face-fines-for-burning-wood
Report Spam   Logged

Kilika
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2013, 12:25:59 pm »

This from a separate article that this article links to...

However, some of the campers might not be around come Monday if the township wins its next round in court at 2 p.m. Friday before Judge Joseph L. Foster in Toms River. The township is requesting the judge evict about 1⁄3of the campers because they have not applied to qualify for housing.

Captain Gregory Meyer of the Lakewood police said officers check the encampment daily or whenever someone complains about a smoke condition from the burning wood. Police also respond if there is a first aid call in the camp, he said.

The ordinance bans using wood burning stoves outdoors but does not ban wood being burned in indoor fireplaces.

“There is a safety factor,” Meyer said, regarding the need to enforce outdoor fire codes.

“When we respond to a complaint and encounter an open wooden burn or wood burning stove inside a tent, we ask them to extinguish those,” Meyer said. Police stay at the site until the fire is put out, he said.

Campers are not banned from using propane heaters, Meyer said.

Case closed. If they are not prevented from using other means of heating, then this is a non-issue. Most people are careful, true, but certain restrictions are needed to a degree because of that small minority, in their ignorance, can mess up and hurt people and destroy stuff.

If police are already patrolling the camp site and telling people how to be safe with open fires, I see no more need. But we know why government is meddling, so it's all a moot point. Notice how they say some will get evicted because they haven't applied "to qualify for housing".

You want stuff from Caesar, your require to do certain things for Caesar. There is a price in the world for using that coin!

http://www.app.com/article/20131120/NJNEWS/311200132/Tent-City-homeless?sf19738896=1

Report Spam   Logged
Mark
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2013, 08:21:11 am »

Christian Homeless Ministry Threatened With Arrest for ‘Loitering’ on Public Property

A Christian homeless ministry in Pennsylvania is fighting against county officials for being booted from public property after five years of outreach.

Isaiah 61 Ministries, which feeds the homeless in Harrisburg two days each week, says that it was recently ejected from the Dauphin County Courthouse parking lot and advised that members could be arrested for loitering if they continued their outreach at the location. The county had announced earlier this year that it planned to post “No Loitering” signs around the property.

“The County Commission has basically come out and said, ‘Look, you’ve got to move along and if you don’t, we’re going to begin arresting people who are trespassing on our property,’” Jeremy Dys, an attorney that is representing the ministry, told OneNewsNow.

Dys sent a letter to the county in response, outlining that the situation began in September when Deputy Chief Clerk J. Scott Burford informed the group that they must discontinue their activities at the courthouse. He said that Burford reiterated the penalty at a hearing on October 18th.

“Dauphin County’s actions toward Isaiah 61 and the other ministries engaged in religious ministry outside the county courthouse substantially burden those ministries’ religious exercise without a compelling government interest,” Dys, who works with the Texas-based Liberty Institute, wrote. “Moreover, in imposing an all out ban on ministry activity in a public area, Dauphin County has failed to employ the least restrictive means possible.”

But county officials told reporters this week that it has been speaking to Isaiah 61 Ministries about moving to another location because the homeless have allegedly been using the property to relieve themselves, and some workers have complained of harassment. Burford told the Patriot-News that patrons of the nearby bar have also been a problem, and that there are still plans to post the “No Loitering” signs.

He said, however, that the county is working on drafting an agreement that will allow the ministry to use the parking lot in the evenings with the stipulation that they clean up after their outreach.

Isaiah 61 Ministries has since moved to another location after receiving the warning, but states that they would like to return to continue their outreach near the courthouse.

“That’s where we need to be,” April Ocasio, the president and founder of Isaiah 61 Ministries, told local television station WHTM. “Where people can easily access us and we’re just asking that the County Commissioners would respect our right to exercise what we believe in.”

“Serving the homeless and elderly is a central tenet of the Christian faith,” Dys stated. “Those who exercise their faith by caring for the poor on the streets of Harrisburg ought to be applauded for their kindness, not threatened with jail time.”

Isaiah 61 Ministries has been providing meals, clothing and toiletries to the homeless and elderly every week for the past five years.

http://christiannews.net/2013/11/22/christian-homeless-ministry-threatened-with-arrest-for-loitering-on-public-property/
Report Spam   Logged

Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2013, 10:54:55 am »

“Dauphin County’s actions toward Isaiah 61 and the other ministries engaged in religious ministry outside the county courthouse substantially burden those ministries’ religious exercise without a compelling government interest,” Dys, who works with the Texas-based Liberty Institute, wrote. “Moreover, in imposing an all out ban on ministry activity in a public area, Dauphin County has failed to employ the least restrictive means possible.”

Well, don't know much about the Isaiah 61 ministry in PA(good or bad), but nonetheless these Christian ministries have to be VERY careful whom they work with, and trust to watch over their backs - these Liberty Institute/AFA/FRC people are NWO opposition controlled groups. It seems like in recent years(since Obama came into office), they've somehow gone into a losing streak(after boasting how for years they've won tons of cases prior to Obama).

Coincidence? Think not. This isn't showbiz where there's independent-minded, justice seeking lawyers like Perry Mason and Ben Matlock - ultimately, in the real world, enemies come from WITHIN.
Report Spam   Logged
Kilika
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2013, 12:29:48 pm »

Liberty Institute isn't helping churchianity one bit. All they are doing is playing their part in the world's efforts to box Christianity into a corner. It makes it look like they are getting fair legal help to fight big bad government. On the other hand, it makes churchianity look bad too, which is a good thing. Many times these "preachers" and their ministries are the problem.

I noticed they mentioned the bar. I wonder if any of those preachers have gone into the bar and talked to people. That's where I'd go. Captured audience. Just go hang out, have a drink or two, and let conversations begin.

Churchianity are the ones that ridiculed Jesus for hanging out with publicans and sinners.
Report Spam   Logged
Mark
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2013, 05:29:44 am »

Church Group Trying to Feed the Homeless Ordered to Stop

Happy Thanksgiving to all, but apparently not for the homeless living at Palm Beach County’s John Prince Park in Lake Worth, FL.

This holiday is supposed to be a day to think of others, which is exactly what church members from Acts 2 Worship Center in Loxahatchee, FL wanted to do.

But when the small group tried to deliver food to the homeless living at the park, a park ranger ordered them to stop.

"God takes care of us,” said Steven Griffin, who’s homeless. “We don't starve. We're grateful."

Griffin and his wife Dominique have lived at John Prince Park in Lake Worth for years, and they're not the only ones.

"You get all these other people coming in,” said Griffin, as his wife nodded in agreement. “I guess it’s because of the economy.”

For that reason, a dozen church members like Tereza Del Rio from Acts 2 showed up with packaged Thanksgiving meals.

"We do a lot of mission trips and helping the homeless and stuff like that,” said Del Rio. “I do whatever I can.”

"We brought our kids out here so they could see what it’s really like for people that are struggling,” said church member Brian Oakes.

And this act of kindness was greatly appreciated.

“We’re grateful you know,” said Kevin Rudd, who’s also homeless. “They hand out; we meet the guys and stuff. They give us a prayer and everything.”

But then, just as the homeless like Kevin were being fed, a Palm Beach County park ranger came up to the church group and ordered them to stop and leave!

“And everybody just went, ‘huh?’” said a confused Rudd.

“It’s very disappointing,” said Brian. “We didn’t intend for this today. We just wanted to give the food and be able to bless people.”

So CBS 12 news walked around Prince Park and followed the church members who just wanted to deliver the remaining Thanksgiving packages. This despite being told by the park ranger they had to leave or else be ticketed.

“Thank you very much,” said a family receiving the food.

“Mr. Park Ranger,” said CBS 12 reporter Israel Balderas, “how are you sir?”

CBS 12 tracked down the park ranger that witnesses say was kicking out the church members.

“I'm not allowed to talk with you,” said the park ranger, also identified as Mark. “You have to take your questions to the administration building.”

“They’re saying that you told some church people to leave,” said the reporter to the park ranger.

“Hi,” waved the park ranger to the camera. “I can’t talk to you; my bosses don't want me to talk.”

Park Ranger Mark said he was ordered to warn the church members that they were violating county ordinances. When he was asked to cite the specific law that gave him the authority to kick out church members from a public park, he couldn’t do it. So he called dispatch to ask for help.

“Channel 12 is here, wants to talk to me about previous activities gone on here,” said the park ranger to dispatch. “And I’m not allowed to talk to them.”

The previous activity being referred to was the ranger telling the church group that they couldn't feed the homeless.

At first, CBS 12 was told only the director of parks would talk on camera, but he wasn't available today.

Dispatch said that feeding the homeless was not a permitted activity by a large group. But CBS 12 asked, “What constitutes an activity and what size is too large?”

CBS 12 waited for Mark’s supervisor, Max Steward, to show up at Prince Park. But that never happened.

“And I’m sorry I couldn't talk with you but they put strict orders,” said the park ranger.

“Mark, you were following orders, is that fair?” asked reporter Israel Balderas

“Yes sir!” said the park ranger, with a sigh.

By the time CBS 12 finished talking with the park ranger, Acts 2 church members were done passing out the food they had. The homeless at the park were thankful for people giving of their Thanksgiving Day to think of others.

Tomorrow, they’ll be hungry again, and if someone tries to feed them, that activity could be a violation of the law. For now…

http://cbs12.com/news/top-stories/stories/vid_11571.shtml?hpt=us_bn8&utm
Report Spam   Logged

Mark
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2014, 05:41:38 am »

Homeless Round Up Has Begun: Depopulation Agenda

Under the radar from the prying eyes of the public, Citys have made it legal to get rid of their homeless problem. Is this coming to a town near you? In America they have made it a crime to be homeless. Where are they putting the people from these “Round Ups”? This is not a Conspiracy Theory Anymore… As The Federal Reserve continues to print money for Quantitative Easing and keep the interest rate near zero percent, another housing bubble is forming. Once it breaks up, there will be a lot of people turning into homeless. Not to mention Unemployment. Where will the Government put all these homeless people? They are now using a more suttle approach to round up homeless people under the banner of goodwill while secretly shipping these people away to relocation centers for Extermination. I Hope I’m Wrong. Stay At The Ready…

http://investmentwatchblog.com/homeless-round-up-has-begun-depopulation-agenda/
Report Spam   Logged

Mark
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2014, 05:30:30 am »

Homeless Seeking Shelter from Cold in Subways to Be Kicked Out, Police Say

The NYPD and the MTA plan to clear homeless men and women out of the subway system after a skyrocketing number of people have sought shelter there from the brutally cold winter, police officials said.

The plan, which is set to begin before dawn on Monday, comes amid an upswing in homeless people in the subway system during the exceptionally cold winter. There were more than 1,800 people living on the subways in 2013, up from 1,000 in 2009, according to the city's annual HopeNYC street survey.

Starting Monday at 3 a.m., teams of transit workers, NYPD officers and emergency medical technicians will go to the E train stations at Jamaica Center and at the World Trade Center, officials said.

Each time a train pulls into one of the two stations, teams will check each car, and take all the homeless people inside to either a shelter or hospitals, officials said.

The trains will then be cleaned for the morning rush hour.

"We are not doing this to be cruel to them," Christie Hofmann, a New York City Transit official, said at a Wednesday night meeting. "[Homelessness] is not going to get solved overnight, but we are working on it together with police officers."

The initiative was partly launched to help improve conditions for other riders, officials said. The operation will begin on the E line, where the problem is most visible, and will later move to other subway lines throughout the city, officials said.

“It’s going to be a really comprehensive effort to alleviate the homeless condition that we have,” said Deputy Inspector Michael Telfer, who oversees Transit District 20, which covers part of Queens.

Gene Russianoff of the Straphangers Campaign said he had a number of concerns about homeless people in the subway system which, he noted, "is not a place for people to live.”

He said homeless people riding the trains are often victims of crime and are exposed to numeorus dangers when they move from one car to another while trains are in motion.

He also said that there are a lot of hygiene-related issues that are problematic for other passengers.

The initiative comes on the heels of a $6 million MTA outreach program and a 90 percent increase in the homeless population in the subway, according to the Daily News.

The MTA referred questions to the city's Department for Homeless Services, which did not immediately comment. The NYPD did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

The mayor was not involved in the decision and does not have details about the plan, according to City Hall sources.

Cheesy ya right!!! if you believe that i have a bridge to sell ya

http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20140220/jamaica/homeless-seeking-shelter-from-cold-subways-be-kicked-out-police-say
Report Spam   Logged

Kilika
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2014, 03:57:54 am »

The initiative was partly launched to help improve conditions for other riders, officials said. The operation will begin on the E line, where the problem is most visible, and will later move to other subway lines throughout the city, officials said.

No, it's the main reason! This has nothing to do with giving homeless a better situation or something. It's about moving the "eyesore" out of the way.

Gene Russianoff of the Straphangers Campaign said he had a number of concerns about homeless people in the subway system which, he noted, "is not a place for people to live.”

Well, seeing your so concerned about where they live, how about letting one or more homeless person move in with you, Gene? Yeah, I didn't think so!

He also said that there are a lot of hygiene-related issues that are problematic for other passengers.

Ultimately THAT is the reason. City officials pressured by money and business owners to clean the place up.

It's obvious that cities don't care about people being homeless. All they care about is whether or not people with money are being bothered by homeless people.

Government Scumbags!

There is a very good reason why scripture says, "Blessed be ye poor..."
Report Spam   Logged
Mark
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2014, 06:35:41 am »

Christian Ministries ‘Shocked’ After Alabama Police Shut Down Food Distribution to Homeless

Two Christian ministries in Alabama are dismayed at the actions of local law enforcement after they were recently stopped from feeding the homeless due to a new ordinance centering around food trucks.

“I’m just so totally shocked that the city is turning their back on the homeless like this,” Pastor Rick Wood told local television station WBMA. “It’s like they want to chase them out of the city. And the homeless can’t help the position they’re in. They need help.”

Wood, who pastors The Lord’s House of Prayer in Oneonta, has been feeding the poor and homeless in Birmingham every Saturday for the past six years. He delivers hot dogs and bottled water from a truck that features a decal citing Matthew 25:35-40, which speaks of Jesus’ command to care for the hungry.

However, Wood says that he was approached by Birmingham police two weeks ago as he was conducting an outreach in Linn Park and was told to cease operations because he did not have a permit. The cost for a permit, which must be obtained from the Health Department, is between $300 and $500.

Reports state that police had referred to an ordinance surrounding food trucks, which was enacted when area restaurants complained that some vendors were taking away their business. The new law, which was passed in December, regulates when and where food trucks can park. It mentions nothing of meals that are distributed for free to the homeless.

“That makes me so mad,” Wood stated. “These people are hungry. They’re starving. They need help from people. They can’t afford to buy something from a food truck.”

Don Williams of Bridge Builders Ministries told reporters that he was likewise shut down by police recently for the same reason.

“[A] week ago we were serving about 75 homeless people, and Birmingham police showed up and starting barking orders that this food service be shut down,” he explained. ”I thought, ‘Is this America or is this Russia?’ We are here serving people who for the most part can’t do it for themselves.”

Birmingham Mayor William Bell is upholding the new law and its application to the ministries, stating that organization and consistency are important, including in regard to feeding the hungry.

“What’s the quality of that hot dog? Where did it come from?” he asked. “We want everybody to meet the need of the homeless, but there has to be some consistency.”

But Wood and Williams state that they are going to fight the ordinance and will continue to feed the homeless without a permit.

“If we don’t [fight it], the government will be empowered to run over us just like they have been on a national level,” Williams said. “And I’m just not going to sit down, play dead and roll over.”

http://christiannews.net/2014/04/01/christian-ministries-shocked-after-alabama-police-shut-down-food-distribution-to-homeless/
Report Spam   Logged

Kilika
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2014, 02:23:20 am »

Birmingham Mayor William Bell is upholding the new law and its application to the ministries, stating that organization and consistency are important, including in regard to feeding the hungry.

“What’s the quality of that hot dog? Where did it come from?” he asked. “We want everybody to meet the need of the homeless, but there has to be some consistency.”

I just cannot understand how a person can be that way. His answer is "consistency"?

So, local businesses complained food trucks were taking their business? Sounds like competition to me! Can't have any competition now can we, so the brick and mortar businesses threaten the mayor, and bingo, new ordinance.

That still doesn't explain why they are applying the ordinance to these groups. I suspect it's the same reason other cities are doing things; they want the homeless gone from downtown areas where there's a thriving business center. Public officials and business owners are trying to get rid of the homeless, so I suspect it's because of that.
Report Spam   Logged
Mark
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2014, 05:26:40 am »

Pastor Banned From Feeding Homeless Because He Doesn't Have A Food Truck Permit

Every other Saturday Rick Wood delivers hundreds of hot dogs and bottles of water to homeless people in need. But the people who rely on Wood's generosity may soon be left empty-handed.

Wood, who is a pastor at the Lord’s House of Prayer in Oneonta, Ala., has been feeding the homeless for the past six years without a glitch. But, last month, the city told Wood that he had to halt his mission because it had passed an ordinance that regulates food trucks, Think Progress reported.

Though the ordinance pertains specifically to retailers, the city said that it still applies to Wood and that he has to obtain a $500 permit in order to continue helping the homeless.

"I'm just so totally shocked that the city is turning their back on the homeless like this," he told ABC 33/40. "It's like they want to chase them out of the city. And the homeless can't help the position they're in. They need help."

But Wood has vowed to continue his service, like many other advocates who have faced similar bureaucratic measures.

Last December, Churches on the Street -- a mobile ministry in St. Louis -- was ordered to stop serving hot food to the homeless until it secured a permit, an expense that would cost the small-scale operation $150 to $300 annually, the Riverfront Times reported.

And last summer, members of Love Wins Ministries, an organization that feeds breakfast to anyone in need on weekends in Raleigh, N.C., when no soup kitchens are open, were threatened with arrests if they didn’t cease their service.

Rev. Hugh Hollowell, a pastor and director at Love Wins Ministries, said he simply couldn’t be deterred from helping those who are desperate for food.

"We will feed people," he wrote in a blog for HuffPost. "I am, after all (however imperfectly), a follower of Jesus, who said himself that when we ignore hungry people, we ignore him."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/12/feeding-ban-alabama_n_5135722.html
Report Spam   Logged

Kilika
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2014, 05:48:32 am »

"It's like they want to chase them out of the city.

That is exactly what "they" want.
Report Spam   Logged
Mark
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2014, 05:09:38 am »

Cities All Over America Are Becoming Extremely Cruel To The Homeless

Have you ever given food to a homeless person?  Well, if you do it again in the future it might be a criminal act depending on where you live.  Right now, there are dozens of major U.S. cities that have already passed laws against feeding the homeless.  As you will read about below, in some areas of the country you can actually be fined hundreds of dollars for just trying to give food to a hungry person.  I know that sounds absolutely insane, but this is what America is turning into.  Communities all over the country are attempting to "clean up the streets" by making it virtually illegal to either be homeless or to help those that are homeless.  Instead of spending more money on programs to assist the homeless, local governments are bulldozing tent cities and giving homeless people one way bus tickets out of town.  We are treating some of the most vulnerable members of our society like human garbage, and it is a national disgrace.

What does it say about our country when we can't even give a warm sandwich to a desperately hungry person that is sleeping on the streets?  A retired couple down in Florida named Debbie and Chico Jimenez wanted to do something positive for their community during their retirement years, so they started feeding the homeless in Daytona Beach.  But recently the police decided to crack down on their feeding program and slapped everyone involved with a $373 fine...

For the past year, the Jimenezes have set up shop every Wednesday on Manatee Island in Daytona Beach, Fla., where they feed hot dogs, chicken, pasta salad and other BBQ staples to about 100 homeless people, WFTV reported. Handing out meals is just one aspect of the ministry the two founded, Spreading the Word Without Saying a Word, to help people living in poverty.

But on Wednesday, the Jimenezes said that without warning, they and four other volunteers were accosted by police, fined and told that they could be thrown in jail if they continue their program, according to NBC News.

Each of the six was fined $373 and were given 10 days to either pay up or go to court.

"We’re going to court," Debbie Jimenez, 52, a former auto parts store manager, told NBC News. "The police don’t like it. But how can we turn our backs on the hungry? We can’t."

Don't the police down in Daytona Beach have something better to do with their time?

Sadly, more than 50 major cities have passed laws against feeding the homeless at this point.  It appears that "cleaning up the streets" has become a big point of emphasis all over the nation.

And what the city of Camden, New Jersey just did is even worse than what happened in Daytona Beach.

Camden just bulldozed an entire tent city and dumped all of the belongings of the homeless people living there into the trash...

Hazmat teams showed up at the camps in the early morning to search for syringes. A drug-sniffing dog followed a police officer around the area. And bulldozers tossed trash and discarded belongings into dumpsters before razing the premises.

Over the past few weeks, flyers had warned people in the tent cities that this was going to happen. Yet it still seemed surreal to many of them that their communities were about to be demolished for good.

But for most of the people that were living in that tent city, there is no place else for them to go.  The homeless shelters in the area are at max capacity, and so many of them will end up sleeping in the streets without any shelter at all...

Aaron Howe, the "mayor" of a tent city that had 12 tents the night before eviction day, said he had called every shelter in town and not a single place had room for him and his girlfriend.

"There's no available spots, and the city is saying if we pitch a tent somewhere else they're gonna rip it down," he said. "It's not gonna look good when there's a bunch of homeless on the streets."

Camden has got to be one of the most mismanaged communities in the entire country.  Why is Camden spending time and money bulldozing homeless communities when it has so many other problems?  For much more on the nightmare that Camden has become, please see my previous article entitled "Camden, New Jersey: One Of Hundreds Of U.S. Cities That Are Turning Into Rotting, Decaying Hellholes".

Other big cities that are a little bit more "progressive" are attempting to get rid of their homeless populations by giving them one way tickets out of town.  Some of the major cities that are doing this include San Diego and San Francisco...

When her Greyhound bus pulled into town 6 months ago, Maria Castillo got off with two bags and dream.

"Start over, start a new life," said the 42-year-old.

Castillo had been homeless in San Diego when a social worker offered her a one-way bus ticket to Portland.

"They said come here because all the opportunities in Portland, Oregon," she said.

But Castillo said life isn't much better in her new town. She's still homeless. A Unit 8 investigation found several cities from San Diego to San Francisco are providing one-way bus tickets to the homeless.

As shocking as everything that you just read is, what one lawmaker out in Hawaii is doing tops it all.  In a previous article, I described how a state representative named Tom Brower has actually been using a sledgehammer to destroy shopping carts used by homeless people.  Just check out the following short excerpt from an RT article that was published a few months ago...

In the past two weeks residents in Hawaii noticed what appeared to be a crazed individual carrying a sledgehammer through the streets of Honolulu, a state lawmaker looking to rid the city of homeless people by targeting their belongings.

State Representative Tom Brower (D) is currently dedicated to dealing out his own personal brand of “justice” by seeking out homeless people and destroying their possessions. Brower estimates that he has used the sledgehammer to smash at least 30 shopping carts, rendering them useless by bashing in the front wheels.

“I got tired of telling people I’m trying to pass laws. I want to do something practical that will really clean up the streets,” he told Hawaii News Now. “I find abandoned junk, specifically shopping carts, and I remove them.”

Is this how our society is going to treat those that are down on their luck from now on?

Where is the love?

Where is the compassion?

Why can't we seem to be able to take care of these people?

The federal government sure seems to have plenty of money to waste on other things.  For example, it is being reported that workers at an Obamacare processing facility in Missouri are being paid to do nothing but stare at their computers...

Employees at an ObamaCare processing center in Missouri with a contract worth $1.2 billion are reportedly getting paid to do nothing but sit at their computers.

"Their goals are set to process two applications per month and some people are not even able to do that," a whistleblower told KMOV-TV, referring to employees hired to process paper applications for ObamaCare enrollees.

The facility in Wentzville is operated by Serco, a company owned by a British firm that was awarded $1.2 billion in part to hire 1,500 workers to handle paper applications for coverage under the law, according to The Washington Post.

The whistleblower employee told the station that weeks can pass without data entry workers receiving even a single application to process. Employees reportedly spend their days staring at their computers, according to a KMOX-TV report.

So we have millions upon millions of dollars to waste on that, but we can't take care of our homeless population?

And without a doubt, the need to help the homeless is greater than it ever has been before.  Right now, there are 1.2 million public school students in America that are homeless.  That number is an all-time record, and it has grown by 72 percent since the start of the last recession.

In addition, there are 49 million Americans that are dealing with food insecurity.  Even in the midst of this so-called "economic recovery", poverty is absolutely exploding.

And it is going to get a whole lot worse.  This is only just the beginning.

What is going to be needed in the years ahead is a tremendous amount of love and compassion.

But instead, it appears that hearts are becoming colder in America with each passing day.

So what do you think the solution is?  Please share your thoughts by posting a comment below...

http://theeconomiccollapseblog.com/archives/cities-all-over-america-are-becoming-extremely-cruel-to-the-homeless
Report Spam   Logged

Mark
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2014, 10:26:29 am »

'Drop that plate right now': Florida charity worker, 90, is arrested for FEEDING the homeless under new law against sharing food publicly (which presumably includes loaves and fishes)

Arnold Abbott has fed homeless people since 1991 with a team of volunteers
    He now says he intends to take the City of Fort Lauderdale to court

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2821129/90-year-old-man-arrested-feeding-homeless-Fort-Lauderdale-new-law-introduced-bans-people-sharing-food-public.html#ixzz3IDDR4nw9
Report Spam   Logged

Mark
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2014, 06:34:00 am »

90-year-old Florida man cited for feeding homeless -- again
Arnold Abbott cited for 2nd time

A 90-year-old Florida man was cited for a second time for illegally feeding the homeless.

Arnold Abbott and his team of chefs set up shop Wednesday night on Fort Lauderdale Beach and dished out free food to the homeless. Uniformed police were also there recording the event.

"They didn't have the gumption to move in on us. They were afraid, afraid of public opinion," said Abbott.

But Abbott was ultimately confronted by cops in the middle of an interview with Local 6 sister station WPLG-TV.  Abbott was escorted away in front of a large crowd of his supporters. Instead of whisking the 90-year old to jail, police decided to just fingerprint Abbott and issue him a citation on the spot.

"It's our right to feed people, it's our First Amendment right and I believe in the fatherhood of God and the brotherhood of man, and we should be allowed to feed our fellow man," Abbott said.

After news broke of the first incident, Abbot said he's received support from across the world.

"We've heard from every continent," said Abbott. "The last I heard was from Kenya and Moscow.  I've heard from South America, any number of people from Canada, three newspapers from the United Kingdom."

Abbott was the first to be charged with a new ordinance that makes it a crime punishable by up to 60 days in jail to feed the homeless in public.

"I am both enthused and humbled," Abbot said. "The good news is that there is pressure being put on the city of Fort Lauderdale to do something about a law that is not only unfair, it's repressive."

Mayor Jack Seiler, who supports the ordinance, said he's gotten massive feedback as well.  He said the law is meant to help the homeless, not to keep them from eating.

"Mr. Abbott has decided that he doesn't think these individuals should have to have any interaction with government, that they should be fed in the parks. We disagree," Seiler said.

[DID YOU SEE THESE? Worst prom pictures | Tattoo spell check | Child stars gone wrong]

Abbott said there aren't adequate government services or food to deal with the homeless.

"What the city is doing by cutting out feeding is very simple -- they are forcing homeless people to go Dumpster-diving all over again," Abbott said. "They will steal. That's what the mayor is forcing the homeless to do."

And while Abbott said he wants to compromise with the city, he expects to be charged again.

"I love the city. I live here, it's a beautiful place and I'd like to keep it beautiful, but you cannot sweep the homeless under a rug," he said. "There is no rug large enough for that."

"It's a pubic safety issue. It's a public health issue," said Seiler. "The experts have all said that if you're going to feed them to get them from breakfast to lunch to dinner, all you're doing is enabling that cycle of homelessness. They don't interact with anyone, they don't receive the aid that they need."

Abbott was asked if he would return to the beach.

"You bet your life," Abbott replied. "I'll fight for the beach as long as there's birth in my body."

http://www.clickorlando.com/news/90yearold-florida-man-charged-for-feeding-homeless-again/29579226
Report Spam   Logged

Mark
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2015, 06:15:07 am »

Texas Christian in Court After Being Served Up Fine for Feeding Homeless Out of Pickup Truck

A Christian woman in Texas appeared in court today as she challenges a ticket that she received earlier this year for feeding the homeless in a local park out of her pickup truck.

Joan Cheever has operated the Chow Train since 2005, a nonprofit organization that feeds the hungry and homeless in the San Antonio area. Her food truck, which carries hot, restaurant-quality meals to between 25-75 people each week, is licensed by the city to provide a service to the public.

However, this past April, Cheever utilized her personal pickup truck to the deliver the meals, as she believed that her food truck was too wide to make it down the alleyways in search of the homeless.

As a result, she was approached by officers with the San Antonio Police Department, who asked to see her food permit. She produced the document, but the officer said that her permit only applied to the food truck and not her pickup and therefore, she was in violation of city ordinances regarding the feeding of the homeless.

Cheever said that the concept was nonsensical as even pizza delivery drivers deliver food out of their personal vehicles. She also asserted that regardless of which truck is utilized, she believes that her activities are protected under the U.S. Constitution—specifically her First Amendment right to exercise her religion.

“[One officer] said, ‘You think I’m infringing upon your right to practice your religion?’” Cheever recalled to the Washington Post. “Then he said, ‘Lady, if you want to pray, go to church.’”

“I said, ‘This is how I pray. I pray when I cook. I pray when I serve,” she stated.

Connect with Christian News

But moments later, Cheever was presented with a ticket—one that could cost her up to $2,000.

Word of the matter quickly spread, and Cheever vowed to not only defy the officer by continuing to serve the homeless each week in her truck, but to also fight the ticket in court.

“I shouldn’t be the one on the hot seat here,” she said. “This is about every church group or individual who wants to serve a meal.”

“It’s terrible to criminalize the poor, but it’s just as bad to say to the good Samaritans that you’re a criminal too,” Cheever continued. “The Bible says, ‘When I was hungry, you fed me,’ and I take that seriously. This is the way I pray, and we’ll go to court on this.”

She was scheduled to appear in San Antonio today over the matter. The Institutional Religious Freedom Alliance says that the state and federal Religious Freedom Restoration Act is being used in the argument on her behalf.

“In recent months, religious freedom in America has become synonymous in the minds of many with policy stances on controversial issues such as same-sex marriage and abortion. These are among the issues that are very important to many religions, but they are only part of the story,” wrote Chelsea Langston. “Service to the needy is a major theme for many religions as well.”

A GoFundMe page for Cheever has raised over $13,000 in support of her efforts and legal battle.

Bet that go fund page gets deleted

http://christiannews.net/2015/06/23/texas-christian-in-court-after-being-served-up-fine-for-feeding-homeless-out-of-pickup-truck/
Report Spam   Logged

Mark
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2017, 09:11:39 pm »

It Is Becoming Illegal To Be Homeless In America As Houston, Dallas And Dozens Of Other Cities Pass Draconian Laws

Should we make homelessness against the law and simply throw all homeless people into prison so that we don’t have to deal with them?  Incredibly, this is actually starting to happen in dozens of major cities all across the United States.  It may be difficult to believe, but in many large urban areas today, if you are found guilty of “public camping” you can be taken directly to jail.  In some cities, activities such as “blocking a walkway” or creating any sort of “temporary structure for human habitation” are also considered to be serious crimes.  And there are some communities that have even made it illegal to feed the homeless without an official permit.  Unfortunately, as the U.S. economy continues to slow down the number of homeless people will continue to grow, and so this is a crisis that is only going to grow in size and scope.

Of course the goal of many of these laws is to get the homeless to go somewhere else.  But as these laws start to multiply all across the nation, pretty soon there won’t be too many places left where it is actually legal to be homeless.

One city that is being highly criticized for passing extremely draconian laws is Houston.  In that city it is actually illegal for the homeless to use any sort of material to shield themselves from the wind, the rain and the cold…

Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner is taking a similar approach—his anti-encampment ordinance makes it illegal to use “fabric, metal, cardboard, or other materials as a tent or temporary structure for human habitation.” This ensures that the Houstonian homeless are vulnerable not just to the elements, but also to the constant threat of the police. Officials cite one of the most common justifications for crackdowns on the homeless: neighborhood safety (a more socially acceptable way of talking about the not-in-my-backyard mentality).

With all of the other problems that we are facing as a nation, it stuns me that there are politicians that would spend their time dreaming up such sick and twisted laws.

According to one news report, the homeless in Houston are now officially banned from doing all of the following things…

1. They can’t block a sidewalk, stand in a roadway median or block a building doorway. (AKA they can’t panhandle).

2. They also can’t do any of these things — blocking walkways — under state law that already existed.

3. They can’t sleep in tents, boxes or any other makeshift shelter on public property.

4. They also can’t have heating devices.

5. They can’t carry around belongings that take up space more than three feet long, three feet wide, three feet tall.

6. People can’t spontaneously feed more than five homeless people without a permit.

If I was a homeless person in Houston, I would definitely be looking to get out of there.

But where are they going to go?

Things are almost as bad in Dallas.  In fact, it is being reported that the police in Dallas “issued over 11,000 citations for sleeping in public from January 2012 to November 2015.”

When you break that number down, it comes to 323 citations per month.

Of course some people have tried to challenge these types of laws in court, but most of the challenges have been unsuccessful.  For example, just check out what recently happened in Denver…

Three people who were contesting Denver’s urban-camping ban were found guilty on Wednesday, April 5, at the Lindsey-Flanigan courthouse. The defendants — Jerry Burton, Randy Russell and Terese Howard — were determined to have unlawfully camped on November 28, 2016, and to have interfered with police operations at one location. All three were sentenced with court-ordered probation for one year and between twenty and forty hours of community service.

The case challenged Denver’s unauthorized-camping ordinance, which has been divisive ever since Denver City Council approved it in 2012.

Since the courts are generally upholding these laws, this has just emboldened more communities to adopt anti-homelessness ordinances.  According to one report, dozens of major cities have now passed such laws…

City-wide bans on public camping (PDF) have increased by 69 percent throughout the United States. What used to be seen as an annoyance is now prohibited, forcing fines or jail time on those who certainly can’t afford it. The only nationwide nonprofit devoted to studying this, the National Law Center on Homelessness and Poverty, has been tracking these changes since 2006. Their findings? There are a scary number of laws passed that ironically make it costly to be homeless.

For example, in 33 of the 100 U.S. cities they studied, it’s illegal to publicly camp. In 18, it’s illegal to sleep in public. Panhandling is illegal in 27 cities.

In 39 cities, it’s illegal to live in vehicles.

As I have warned repeatedly, we are seeing hearts grow cold all around us.  Instead of doing everything that they can to try to help those in need, communities are trying to make them go some place else, and those that try to feed and help the homeless are being harshly penalized.

Sadly, all of this comes at a time when homelessness is on the rise all over America.  In a previous article I pointed out that in New York City the number of homeless people recently hit a brand new all-time high, and things have gotten so bad in Los Angeles that the L.A. City Council has formally requested that Governor Jerry Brown declare a state of emergency.

We tend to think of the homeless as bearded old men with drinking problems, but the truth is that many of the homeless are children.

In fact, the number of homeless children in the United States has risen by about 60 percent since the end of the last recession.

If this is how we are going to treat some of the most vulnerable members of our society while things are still relatively stable, how are we going to be treating one another when the economy completely collapses?

http://theeconomiccollapseblog.com/archives/it-is-becoming-illegal-to-be-homeless-in-america-as-houston-dallas-and-dozens-of-other-cities-pass-draconian-laws
Report Spam   Logged

Mark
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2017, 11:08:11 pm »

City of Malibu, CA Tells Church to Stop Feeding Homeless

A California city is facing criticism after the town reportedly decided to stop a church from feeding the homeless.

City officials reportedly contacted the Malibu United Methodist Church via email and asked the church to cease its food service ministry after Thanksgiving. The ministry feeds 60 to 100 homeless individuals once a week in the Southern California city.

The church also hosts an annual Thanksgiving dinner in partnership with the Malibu Labor Exchange.

But the city of Malibu has denied that it told the church to stop the meal service and agreed to meet with the church after Thanksgiving.

"All parties agreed to gather more information and come back to continue the constructive dialogue after the Thanksgiving holiday,” the city said in a press release.

Dawn Randall, who works with Malibu UMC, told a local news station that the city said the reason for the change was that the ministry was actually “increasing homelessness.”

The ministry launched in 2014, and from 2013 to 2015, the homeless population jumped from 8,371 to 8,688, according to The Malibu Times.

The Malibu City Council is expected to discuss the meal program at its next meeting.

"I think many of them eat out of dumpsters and trash cans when they aren't eating with us," said Kay Gabbard, who also works with the church. "We can't pretend like (homelessness) doesn't exist in our backyard. We can't pretend that it only exists outside Malibu."

https://www.christianheadlines.com/blog/city-of-malibu-ca-tells-church-to-stop-feeding-homeless.html
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: