End Times and Current Events
April 20, 2024, 02:39:13 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome To End Times and Current Events.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Christianity is no joke!

Shoutbox
March 27, 2024, 12:55:24 pm Mark says: Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked  When Hamas spokesman Abu Ubaida began a speech marking the 100th day of the war in Gaza, one confounding yet eye-opening proclamation escaped the headlines. Listing the motives for the Palestinian militant group's Oct. 7 massacre in Israel, he accused Jews of "bringing red cows" to the Holy Land.
December 31, 2022, 10:08:58 am NilsFor1611 says: blessings
August 08, 2018, 02:38:10 am suzytr says: Hello, any good churches in the Sacto, CA area, also looking in Reno NV, thanks in advance and God Bless you Smiley
January 29, 2018, 01:21:57 am Christian40 says: It will be interesting to see what happens this year Israel being 70 years as a modern nation may 14 2018
October 17, 2017, 01:25:20 am Christian40 says: It is good to type Mark is here again!  Smiley
October 16, 2017, 03:28:18 am Christian40 says: anyone else thinking that time is accelerating now? it seems im doing days in shorter time now is time being affected in some way?
September 24, 2017, 10:45:16 pm Psalm 51:17 says: The specific rule pertaining to the national anthem is found on pages A62-63 of the league rulebook. It states: “The National Anthem must be played prior to every NFL game, and all players must be on the sideline for the National Anthem. “During the National Anthem, players on the field and bench area should stand at attention, face the flag, hold helmets in their left hand, and refrain from talking. The home team should ensure that the American flag is in good condition. It should be pointed out to players and coaches that we continue to be judged by the public in this area of respect for the flag and our country. Failure to be on the field by the start of the National Anthem may result in discipline, such as fines, suspensions, and/or the forfeiture of draft choice(s) for violations of the above, including first offenses.”
September 20, 2017, 04:32:32 am Christian40 says: "The most popular Hepatitis B vaccine is nothing short of a witch’s brew including aluminum, formaldehyde, yeast, amino acids, and soy. Aluminum is a known neurotoxin that destroys cellular metabolism and function. Hundreds of studies link to the ravaging effects of aluminum. The other proteins and formaldehyde serve to activate the immune system and open up the blood-brain barrier. This is NOT a good thing."
http://www.naturalnews.com/2017-08-11-new-fda-approved-hepatitis-b-vaccine-found-to-increase-heart-attack-risk-by-700.html
September 19, 2017, 03:59:21 am Christian40 says: bbc international did a video about there street preaching they are good witnesses
September 14, 2017, 08:06:04 am Psalm 51:17 says: bro Mark Hunter on YT has some good, edifying stuff too.
View Shout History
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Christianity is no joke!  (Read 224 times)
Kilika
« on: May 27, 2012, 03:15:46 am »

This is something that I think many overlook, as evidenced by the various comments we here each day from people that claim to be a Christian, particuarly from pastors at the pulpit.

They are obviously trained in the secular way of public speaking if you listen to them long enough, and that training includes the ideology that it's good to make jokes when speaking in public to "lighten the atmosphere" etc. I've had my share of sales training and public speaking training to know it when I see it. THAT isn't of faith, but of works.

And so is thinking that a joke will somehow put the audience at ease or something. The Word of God does that naturally for those who are saved, but convicts the unbelieving, all jokes aside.

This is why I believe scriptures says...(verse 4 particularly)

(someone asked me once about how I was shown to use verses in communications during my time in Hawaii. See verse 19. The spirit being that you are comparing spiritual with spiritual, being always ready to give an answer of the reason..., it is greeting the brethren with a holy kiss, giving expecting nothing in return, loving your neighbor, etc. It's what we are exhorted to do, as the Spirit moves us.)

1   Be ye therefore followers of God, as dear children; 
2   And walk in love, as Christ also hath loved us, and hath given himself for us an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweetsmelling savour. 
3   But fornication, and all uncleanness, or covetousness, let it not be once named among you, as becometh saints; 
4   Neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor jesting, which are not convenient: but rather giving of thanks. 
5   For this ye know, that no w horemonger, nor unclean person, nor covetous man, who is an idolater, hath any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God. 
6   Let no man deceive you with vain words: for because of these things cometh the wrath of God upon the children of disobedience. 
7   Be not ye therefore partakers with them. 
8 ¶ For ye were sometimes darkness, but now [are ye] light in the Lord: walk as children of light: 
9   (For the fruit of the Spirit [is] in all goodness and righteousness and truth;) 
10   Proving what is acceptable unto the Lord. 
11   And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove [them]. 
12   For it is a shame even to speak of those things which are done of them in secret. 
13   But all things that are reproved are made manifest by the light: for whatsoever doth make manifest is light. 
14   Wherefore he saith, Awake thou that sleepest, and arise from the dead, and Christ shall give thee light. 
15 ¶ See then that ye walk circumspectly, not as fools, but as wise, 
16   Redeeming the time, because the days are evil. 
17   Wherefore be ye not unwise, but understanding what the will of the Lord [is]. 
18   And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit; 
19   Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord; 
20   Giving thanks always for all things unto God and the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ; 
21   Submitting yourselves one to another in the fear of God. 
Ephesians 5:1-21 (KJB)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 03:18:41 am by Kilika » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Psalm 51:17
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2012, 01:52:02 pm »

Very interesting...yeah, it's not only the jokes, but if one notices as well, sometimes they will start by telling short 3-5 minute stories to "lighten the atmosphere", and on other occasions they'll be sound in doctrine the 1st half of their sermon, but then they just get WAY off track the last half(ie-saw a KJV-only sermon preacher a couple of weeks ago, 68 year old guy - even he somehow got way off track the last 1/2 of the sermon, to the point where he really needed rebuke).

Ultimately, I agree, it's as if they're trying to force the gospel message unto everyone and think they have to "spice things up" - they're no different from the seeker-sensive "tickle your ears" Joel Osteen crowds. So ultimately, it has to be the HOLY SPIRIT that draws people, NOT people being obligated to use words and speeches to force them to.

Again, very interesting, it's as if today's pastors on the pulpits are no different from the average salesmen - you just can't have true repentence by doing this tactic.

Act 8:29  Then the Spirit said unto Philip, Go near, and join thyself to this chariot.
Act 8:30  And Philip ran thither to him, and heard him read the prophet Esaias, and said, Understandest thou what thou readest?
Act 8:31  And he said, How can I, except some man should guide me? And he desired Philip that he would come up and sit with him.
Act 8:32  The place of the scripture which he read was this, He was led as a sheep to the slaughter; and like a lamb dumb before his shearer, so opened he not his mouth:
Act 8:33  In his humiliation his judgment was taken away: and who shall declare his generation? for his life is taken from the earth.
Act 8:34  And the eunuch answered Philip, and said, I pray thee, of whom speaketh the prophet this? of himself, or of some other man?
Act 8:35  Then Philip opened his mouth, and began at the same scripture, and preached unto him Jesus.
Act 8:36  And as they went on their way, they came unto a certain water: and the eunuch said, See, here is water; what doth hinder me to be baptized?
Act 8:37  And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.
Act 8:38  And he commanded the chariot to stand still: and they went down both into the water, both Philip and the eunuch; and he baptized him.
Act 8:39  And when they were come up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord caught away Philip, that the eunuch saw him no more: and he went on his way rejoicing.
Act 8:40  But Philip was found at Azotus: and passing through he preached in all the cities, till he came to Caesarea.

So pretty much, ALL that Philip did was READ scripture to witness to this eunuch?
Report Spam   Logged
Charrington

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2012, 11:13:38 pm »

Romans 10:13-14

King James Version (KJV)

13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

14 How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?
Report Spam   Logged
Kilika
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2012, 04:34:15 am »

So pretty much, ALL that Philip did was READ scripture to witness to this eunuch?

My guess is that basically, yes, though I'd guess they had dialog of some sort, not just him reading only I don't think. Obviously it doesn't give details about what the two talked about or was said outside of Philip, "and began at the same scripture". in his telling him of Jesus. Afterall, nothing else is important, so we aren't told any other details. But scripture tells us it is the Spirit that conveys the understanding of what scripture comes out.

Notice that this began with the Spirit exhorting Philip to go to the chariot, and he heard the guy "reading" the scriptures.

He came upon this person, who was standing in a chariot, actually reading scritpture. Who was he that he could afford, or just manage to get his hands on the written word, or run around in a chariot? He apparently was a eunuch of means in some way. We tend to think that as is commonly said, most could not afford scrolls or parchments of writings of any sort, and that "they didn't have the bible back then" sort of mentality, but they in fact did have the Word of God, which is "sufficient for thee".

Remember,  it's likely "the world itself could not contain the books that should be written". So even if they didn't have the "New Testament" as we do today, they still had the Word of God in part, just like us. It's the same Word. The same Jesus working in us.

"But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away." 1 Corinthians 13:10 (KJB)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 04:36:40 am by Kilika » Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: