End Times and Current Events
March 28, 2024, 06:57:56 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: "Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me." John 5:39 (KJB)

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

There Will Never Be Enough Jobs In America Again

Shoutbox
March 27, 2024, 12:55:24 pm Mark says: Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked  When Hamas spokesman Abu Ubaida began a speech marking the 100th day of the war in Gaza, one confounding yet eye-opening proclamation escaped the headlines. Listing the motives for the Palestinian militant group's Oct. 7 massacre in Israel, he accused Jews of "bringing red cows" to the Holy Land.
December 31, 2022, 10:08:58 am NilsFor1611 says: blessings
August 08, 2018, 02:38:10 am suzytr says: Hello, any good churches in the Sacto, CA area, also looking in Reno NV, thanks in advance and God Bless you Smiley
January 29, 2018, 01:21:57 am Christian40 says: It will be interesting to see what happens this year Israel being 70 years as a modern nation may 14 2018
October 17, 2017, 01:25:20 am Christian40 says: It is good to type Mark is here again!  Smiley
October 16, 2017, 03:28:18 am Christian40 says: anyone else thinking that time is accelerating now? it seems im doing days in shorter time now is time being affected in some way?
September 24, 2017, 10:45:16 pm Psalm 51:17 says: The specific rule pertaining to the national anthem is found on pages A62-63 of the league rulebook. It states: “The National Anthem must be played prior to every NFL game, and all players must be on the sideline for the National Anthem. “During the National Anthem, players on the field and bench area should stand at attention, face the flag, hold helmets in their left hand, and refrain from talking. The home team should ensure that the American flag is in good condition. It should be pointed out to players and coaches that we continue to be judged by the public in this area of respect for the flag and our country. Failure to be on the field by the start of the National Anthem may result in discipline, such as fines, suspensions, and/or the forfeiture of draft choice(s) for violations of the above, including first offenses.”
September 20, 2017, 04:32:32 am Christian40 says: "The most popular Hepatitis B vaccine is nothing short of a witch’s brew including aluminum, formaldehyde, yeast, amino acids, and soy. Aluminum is a known neurotoxin that destroys cellular metabolism and function. Hundreds of studies link to the ravaging effects of aluminum. The other proteins and formaldehyde serve to activate the immune system and open up the blood-brain barrier. This is NOT a good thing."
http://www.naturalnews.com/2017-08-11-new-fda-approved-hepatitis-b-vaccine-found-to-increase-heart-attack-risk-by-700.html
September 19, 2017, 03:59:21 am Christian40 says: bbc international did a video about there street preaching they are good witnesses
September 14, 2017, 08:06:04 am Psalm 51:17 says: bro Mark Hunter on YT has some good, edifying stuff too.
View Shout History
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: There Will Never Be Enough Jobs In America Again  (Read 8667 times)
Mark
Administrator

View Profile
« on: October 22, 2012, 07:48:59 am »

Job Seekers Dropping Out of the Workforce?

With U.S. unemployment reported to have fallen below 8 percent in September for the first time in four years, some suggested the job market may be on the mend.

But others say many job seekers have simply lost hope of finding work and have quit the workforce altogether.

Temping Long-Term

Glen Dodge, from Norfolk, Va., enjoyed his work as an experienced and sought-after builder for 30 years.

"[I ] started doing some construction work and remodeling with a company in D.C. and then worked my way from there into a position of basically framing houses," he told CBN News. "[I ] worked my way up into supervision and that kind of thing."

Dodge said things changed when the housing market crashed.

"We found ourselves with a bunch of houses that couldn't sell so we had to go ahead and back off of building," he said. "It was a pretty difficult time."

The market so bad that Dodge was laid off from his job. It was the first time in his adult life that he was without work.

"It was really difficult in that you feel like someone's pulled the carpet out from underneath you and so your whole world totally shifts," he explained. "We actually ended up having to sell the house and we moved into an apartment."

Since being laid off six years ago, Dodge moved from one temporary job to another, a total of 12 different jobs in all.

"I've worked for a couple of employees since the major layoff and most of it's been remodeling," he said. "They've actually gone through situations where they've had work and then it's dried up and so there's no work there and they've had to lay off. So I've had that happen twice."

College Degree and Unemployed

The 55 year old represents just one segment of the country's unemployed population.

Paul Conway, president of Generation Opportunity, a non-profit advocacy group in Arlington, Va., told CBN News that the weak labor market has hit 18 to 29 year olds especially hard.

"It's a situation that's a national issue that impacts all Americans but particularly young Americans," Conway said.

He said recent college graduates are having a tough time finding work in the down economy.

"Nearly 50 percent of them are either unemployed or underemployed," he explained.

"So when they go to look for work, they have to settle for jobs that don't require that degree and they have to compete against workers who do have those degrees or even masters degrees who themselves are older but maybe settling for jobs maybe reserved for entry level," he said.

The picture is even worse for the long-term unemployed, those out of work for more than 27 weeks. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, they total almost five million people and account for 40 percent of the unemployed.

Generations of Job Seekers

The most recent jobless report dropped to 7.8 percent, the first time it moved below 8 percent in nearly four years.

Despite the new numbers, more than 12 million Americans still need work. Crowds continue to line up at job fairs across the country.

"It can be a struggle most definitely. Gas prices you know, continue to rise. Food prices are very up, you know, kind of expensive," one job seeker in Atlanta, said. "So just to live on a every day basis can be very difficult in these days and times."

Conway said the lower unemployment rate is not good news and points to an even bigger problem. 

"You're having a decrease in unemployment right now is more people are dropping out of the work force. It's not that new jobs are being created," he said.

Many of those giving up looking for work are older. Statistics show the number of people age 55 and over who are without a job, or who are considered "underemployed," is on the rise.

Despite their years of experience, older, laid-off workers often compete with younger job seekers for the same jobs.

Settling for Anything

Maurice Johnston's story is just one of hundreds that have been posted on YouTube. His resume includes two masters degrees: one in plasma physics from Dartmouth and another in electrical engineering from Purdue.

After 10 years at Lockheed Aerospace and stints at teaching, he received a pink slip.

"Now I'm staying in a homeless shelter. I've been looking for work. I've come close several times," Johnston said. "They usually want someone younger."

Frustrated, more job seekers are settling for part time work because the economy is not adding enough full time job opportunities. 

"What's really going on is that they're in a job that they've actually taken because they had to or they had to settle with one that's below their education level and below their skill level and therefore below their earnings potential," Conway said. "And that's a major issue that's going on right now."

Meanwhile, Dodge is still searching for a stable job. He said he is trusting God to see him and his family through the tough times.

"You're hopeful in that, 'Okay, Lord, you know what you have in front of me and you know what my needs are,'" he said. "And I'm hopeful that he's going to supply all my needs which he's promised to according to his riches."

http://www.cbn.com/cbnnews/finance/2012/October/Job-Seekers-Dropping-Out-of-the-Workforce/
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 07:57:49 am by Mark » Report Spam   Logged

What can you do for Jesus?  Learn what 1 person can accomplish.

The Man from George Street
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkjMvPhLrn8
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: