End Times and Current Events
March 28, 2024, 07:20:22 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: "Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me." John 5:39 (KJB)

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Providing For Your House - Should a Christian "Work"?

Shoutbox
March 27, 2024, 12:55:24 pm Mark says: Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked  When Hamas spokesman Abu Ubaida began a speech marking the 100th day of the war in Gaza, one confounding yet eye-opening proclamation escaped the headlines. Listing the motives for the Palestinian militant group's Oct. 7 massacre in Israel, he accused Jews of "bringing red cows" to the Holy Land.
December 31, 2022, 10:08:58 am NilsFor1611 says: blessings
August 08, 2018, 02:38:10 am suzytr says: Hello, any good churches in the Sacto, CA area, also looking in Reno NV, thanks in advance and God Bless you Smiley
January 29, 2018, 01:21:57 am Christian40 says: It will be interesting to see what happens this year Israel being 70 years as a modern nation may 14 2018
October 17, 2017, 01:25:20 am Christian40 says: It is good to type Mark is here again!  Smiley
October 16, 2017, 03:28:18 am Christian40 says: anyone else thinking that time is accelerating now? it seems im doing days in shorter time now is time being affected in some way?
September 24, 2017, 10:45:16 pm Psalm 51:17 says: The specific rule pertaining to the national anthem is found on pages A62-63 of the league rulebook. It states: “The National Anthem must be played prior to every NFL game, and all players must be on the sideline for the National Anthem. “During the National Anthem, players on the field and bench area should stand at attention, face the flag, hold helmets in their left hand, and refrain from talking. The home team should ensure that the American flag is in good condition. It should be pointed out to players and coaches that we continue to be judged by the public in this area of respect for the flag and our country. Failure to be on the field by the start of the National Anthem may result in discipline, such as fines, suspensions, and/or the forfeiture of draft choice(s) for violations of the above, including first offenses.”
September 20, 2017, 04:32:32 am Christian40 says: "The most popular Hepatitis B vaccine is nothing short of a witch’s brew including aluminum, formaldehyde, yeast, amino acids, and soy. Aluminum is a known neurotoxin that destroys cellular metabolism and function. Hundreds of studies link to the ravaging effects of aluminum. The other proteins and formaldehyde serve to activate the immune system and open up the blood-brain barrier. This is NOT a good thing."
http://www.naturalnews.com/2017-08-11-new-fda-approved-hepatitis-b-vaccine-found-to-increase-heart-attack-risk-by-700.html
September 19, 2017, 03:59:21 am Christian40 says: bbc international did a video about there street preaching they are good witnesses
September 14, 2017, 08:06:04 am Psalm 51:17 says: bro Mark Hunter on YT has some good, edifying stuff too.
View Shout History
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Providing For Your House - Should a Christian "Work"?  (Read 2683 times)
Kilika
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2013, 08:12:30 am »

You make claims Mark, but fail to actually provide scripture to back it up.

John 6 is about faith in God to provide for us exactly what He promised he would provide, and is not that the very basis for providing for your house? John 6 has EVERYTHING to do with providing for your own, because it is NOT YOU that's provides, it's God that feeds you and keeps you safe from evil, and by the extension of you being steadfast and unmovable in your faith in Jesus, you as the head of household protect yours by your faith.

Adam toiled in the fields because God said that is what he was to do, and the trouble he would having in his toiling was because of his actions in the garden. So technically, if you want to rely on Old Testament verse, keep it in context please. Technically, we all are to toil in the soil, just like Adam.

Paul DID NOT say, "Get a job!". That is not funny in any respect.

What Paul said is that men are to provide for their own.

YOU are the one trying to define by what isn't in verse what that job is.

I said clearly under what terms I would call you a liar. If you are saying "the thing which is good" is a job, then yes, your a stone cold liar if you really believe it and not simply mistaken in your understanding.

Straight up, "...the thing which is good..." is talking about one thing, which is preaching the gospel of Jesus Christ. And THAT is the work of the ministry which we all are called to do. It is the only thing on this planet that has life in it and saves a man's soul.

Quite literally, Jesus is STILL calling His people to put down their fishing nets of Caesar and exhorting them to follow Him. Jesus is so serious about it, that He told a man who hesitated when called to "let the dead bury their dead". That guy already had a "job", as well as the others that were called by Jesus, and they refused to go.

Excuses, excuses is all they had, even to this day!
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 08:14:31 am by Kilika » Report Spam   Logged
Mark
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2013, 08:24:43 am »

I feel secure that the Holy Spirit is telling the Husband/Father to provide for his family.

1 Tim 5:8 But if any provide not for his own, and especially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel.

if you do not have a job, being a hunter and gatherer for your family is still a JOB. It is the husband/father's JOB to provide for HIS family. If you don’t, the scripture says it very plainly, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel. I don’t even see how there is any contention here what so ever. The Family unit was decreed way back in Genesis chapter 2. The Father even back them would work the fields and take care of the family animals. That’s a JOB, the man provided for his family. Moses had a JOB, he was a Shepard until the Lord called him.

We are all called to spread the Gospel to every creature on the planet, BUT we still have to take care of our family. And that means the head of the household has to provide for his family.
Report Spam   Logged

What can you do for Jesus?  Learn what 1 person can accomplish.

The Man from George Street
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkjMvPhLrn8
Kilika
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2013, 08:46:51 am »

I feel secure that the Holy Spirit is telling the Husband/Father to provide for his family.

Agreed, that is exactly what God is saying in His Word, "provide".

1 Tim 5:8 But if any provide not for his own, and especially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel.

if you do not have a job, being a hunter and gatherer for your family is still a JOB. It is the husband/father's JOB to provide for HIS family.

Agreed. Scripture, as I have said, does not define HOW a man provides, what that specific "job" is. It is the responsibility of the head of the house, yes. I contend that we are to be hunters/gatherers, rather than working a "job" a McDonalds.

If you don’t, the scripture says it very plainly, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel. I don’t even see how there is any contention here what so ever.

I know you don't Mark, it's obvious.

The Family unit was decreed way back in Genesis chapter 2. The Father even back them would work the fields and take care of the family animals. That’s a JOB, the man provided for his family. Moses had a JOB, he was a Shepard until the Lord called him.

Yes, that's true. Totally agree. HOWEVER, again you toss in Old Testament examples when we are under the grace of the New Testament ("but use it rather").

But even then, you yourself admit it by saying that Moses had a job till when? "the Lord called him", in your own words. THAT is exactly what I just said, that Jesus IS calling us all. Few are listening!

We are all called to spread the Gospel to every creature on the planet, BUT we still have to take care of our family. And that means the head of the household has to provide for his family.

Yes, we are. We take care of our family by our looking to Jesus Christ in faith, daily. The body profits NOTHING from meat and drink.

"It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, [they] are spirit, and [they] are life." John 6:62 (KJB)

"While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen [are] temporal; but the things which are not seen [are] eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:18 (KJB)
Report Spam   Logged
Psalm 51:17
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2013, 10:38:57 am »

OK, I have a question here...

I explained my situation from 5 years ago - what if you're in a profession where not only it's secular, but you're required to do things that go against the word of God? Like I mentioned in there, if I had stuck around there, I would be working arm-in-arm with the IRS to promote Obamacare, homosexual marriage, and worst of all warring against 501c3 churches(Caesar coming back to collect his chips is imminent).

This is why I mentioned how the Lord delivered me out of this job then - and to add to this as well(which I didn't mention), it was a week prior to my getting layed off that my co-workers and supervisors there were all in the lunch room, and the subject of end times prophecies came up out of nowhere(despite most of them NOT being Christians), and they asked me if it is imminent. I ended up not saying much(other than maybe yes), and this was b/c 1) I was NOT grounded in scripture, as all I did at the time was go to church services, give my "tithes", and read "devotionals" every morning, and 2) I was also ashamed of even saying the name of Jesus to others.

Ultimately, when I look back on this, this was definitely a warning sign from the Lord to me(as it was a week prior to my getting layed off - and no, I am NOT saying this was why I got fired, b/c it wasn't). And while I know we don't look back, and press forward, this is one of the rare things I DO look back on.

But yeah - if the Lord leads you into a job where you CAN share your faith with others, then YES, this IS the Lord's will. But OTOH, what if you're in a profession where not only you can't, but worst of all you're doing Satan's biddings? And to boot - it would be hard for me to share my faith with others in this profession when in the first place, a lot of what we do go against God's word.
Report Spam   Logged
Kilika
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2013, 03:34:40 am »

But yeah - if the Lord leads you into a job where you CAN share your faith with others, then YES, this IS the Lord's will. But OTOH, what if you're in a profession where not only you can't, but worst of all you're doing Satan's biddings? And to boot - it would be hard for me to share my faith with others in this profession when in the first place, a lot of what we do go against God's word.

You can share the faith anywhere, on a job or not. The problem is in when the people you are preaching to have had enough, and your still working side by side. At that point, either the person has accepted the gospel, is still pondering it, or has rejected it. But you still work together, regardless. You don't have the ability to separate yourself from those who are disobedient or who have outright rejected Jesus. At that point, we aren't to have no fellowship with them, yet you would have to if that was your job. And that means you then are pleasing men and not God, that is f you want to keep that job.

We don't take a job because we think we can preach to people. That is the same attitude as churchianity, who runs around trying to save souls, but instead end up getting people mad at them for "forcing it down their throats".

And it's true, a believer is forced to choose whom they will serve on the job, God or mammon.

Besides, who here knows why Jesus says, "Blessed be ye poor"? Why are the "poor in this world, rich in faith" praised? Jesus says seek treasures in heaven.

If you have a house and car, tv, and pensions and retirements, etc., are you really poor? The theme throughout the New Testament is about poor, about rewards after our time in the flesh. We mourn now, and rejoice later.

Society is different now, but not that much really. We still can provide for our own with God's direction, without being a servant to men. Scripture says "care not for it". But our liberty says, "but use it rather". So we do have some liberty, for a time.

Not all of us come to the knowledge of the truth when unemployed. Many are in a job, so that is why it says, "Art thou called, being a servant?" That is to those who are still in a job when this understanding comes to them. They are told it's okay for a time, but "care not for it". But the liberty we have allows us to use it, to use this world as not abusing it. And if we stay focused on Jesus, we won't get sidetracked into thinking WE are doing some great work and as a result get all puffed up in our vanity.

The whole point of Jesus pointing out the image on the coin was to say, "Choose whom ye will serve this day". If you choose Caesar, then that choice has it's requirements. And if God, then you must live by faith. You cannot say what tomorrow will bring, as we are to focus on today. And again, Jesus shows us charity by telling us to take no thought for the morrow, yet we are told, "For that ye ought to say if the Lord will...".

Try telling your boss "if the Lord will" when told your working overtime next week! Or try explaining why you don't like sitting next to the reprobate in the next office cubicle, especially these days! Are you going to keep subjecting the Spirit in you to the vile and vain conversations of the unbelieving during lunch break? So you resolve to isolate yourself from the discussions, so then your now an outcast and labeled by management as "does not work well with others...".

Do you honestly think you can walk around a job letting your light so shine before men, and not make the unbelieving mad at you? They HATE the light, and they hate you. There WILL be divisions if you listen to the Holy Ghost by walking in the Spirit.

"Render unto Caesar..."

Now, where in scripture does it say WHAT we CAN do? Where are the jobs described that would be okay? Did Jesus tell ANY people He called that they could keep their jobs? The only time that comes to mind is when talking with the soldiers, and all He did was tell them how to act while in the military, as He has told us how to act when we have a master in the flesh as a servant.

But we are constantly exhorted to flee all appearance of evil, to have no fellowship, etc., so with all that exhortation, we still seek out filthy lucre at ungodly places, even after God said He provides? I say, No.

God says for us to provide, yes, but the problem is in the interpretation of how we are to provide. Society says man does it by a job. God doesn't say that at all, never has. God tells us by His Word, in how we are to act as sons of God.

The lust of the flesh and the lust of the eyes cause people to think they need this or that, when in reality, Jesus never said we can have all those worldly things. Jesus says those things are added unto you, the things we need, not want.

Worldly society is the one who says "times are changing", when in fact scripture says "there is nothing new under the sun". Society says how it is that people are to operate in society in the world. God says we not to be of the world.

If we are to be just like any other servant in the world, then explain the following verse. Explain how it is that we could fail if we are walking in the Spirit!

"And I say unto you, Make to yourselves friends of the mammon of unrighteousness; that, when ye fail, they may receive you into everlasting habitations." Luke 16:9 (KJB)
Report Spam   Logged
Christian40
Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2013, 05:17:58 am »

Good response Kilika, from my own experience here the lost world seems to be all concerned with what sort of job it is and how much they are getting paid. And from going to churchianity buildings the main thing was people asking if i was working or not, not what i was doing for the Lord, if i had a job here i could guarantee that i would have to compromise my faith in some way, and Christians seem to do it easily and i would not be able to share my faith for long, i have gotten in trouble before for praying for people that needed prayers! ( i mean people near death) i got in trouble for that and that job went. The Lord still provides for me, and i have a certain amount of freedom, i believe that the "providing" is a work for the Lord, sure we are designed to work, but we have to choose between working for the Lord and working for the world.
Report Spam   Logged
Psalm 51:17
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2013, 09:43:18 am »

Also to add this too - a lot of those Church-Building Pastors that say how if we don't work, then we can't eat...as we've documented here, aren't they the ones who are/have been lying, scheming, and manipulating their flock, for example, into giving their "10% tithes" so that they can have their "blessings"? But en yet a good chunk of what comes in these offering plates end up going into their salaries and 401Ks? I mean it's pretty obvious that these church building pastors are NOT "working"(meaning they're NOT honestly making their money, that is).

Pt being that when we read scripture and ask for wisdom, sometimes we have to observe what these "Christian pastors" are doing, and how they go contrary.

Matthew 23:3  All therefore whatsoever they bid you observe, that observe and do; but do not ye after their works: for they say, and do not.
Mat 23:4  For they bind heavy burdens and grievous to be borne, and lay them on men's shoulders; but they themselves will not move them with one of their fingers.

And yes, I will admit that when I had full time employment in my job here in North Texas 5 year ago, and previously in New Orleans for a brief time(before I moved back to TX), I was doing JUST that - focusing on the lusts of my flesh, the lust of my eyes, the pride of my life, and the material things of this world INSTEAD of treasures in heaven. I am very thankful the Lord pulled me out of this fire b/c I'll admit it was as if I was hanging by a thread over the lake of fire during this time.

Also - remember when I said above how a week before my layoff at my recent full time job, most of my co-workers there asked me if we're living in the end times? Like said, they weren't Christians, but they were GENUINELY and SINCERELY wanting to know - and if I wasn't some pseudo-Christian at the time, I could have been ready to given them an answer a reason of the hope that is in me. And even worse, when I wasn't ready to give an answer, I didn't have any conscience whatsoever bothering me afterwards(ie-on the contrary, remember Peter greatly regretted rejecting Jesus 3 times on the night Jesus was arrested and taken to be crucified).

BUT, like said, the Lord pulled me out of the fire, which I am very thankful for. Otherwise, I wouldn't be here at this very day, nor would have any idea what the KJV is.
Report Spam   Logged
Christian40
Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2013, 05:03:54 am »

i will say it is pretty humbling isn't it? when you look back and say i wanted life to be this way and i'm happy and then you discover the KJV Bible in my case and you see the realities about the world around you. i mean if i had a second go i wouldn't have done all them hours in video games and i wouldn't have gone to them churchianity buildings and i would have looked into the Bible version issue alot deeper (amazing that i did not even consider the Bible version issue until about 5 years ago.)

And about tithing we know that is bogus now too that is on a different thread here. You cant trust Pastors that want their tithe every week.

And about my relatives they have been somewhat interested in Jesus recently, some have wanted prayers, if there is any issue that concerns them they come to me wanting prayer which is a good sign, and i mention the Rapture to them as a starting point but i think it is too hard for them to fathom it right now. I'm going to tell them about the war in Syria and how close to the end we are, i mean God who is merciful i think He is giving the unsaved an opportunity to get saved just before things go real bad.

And someone mentioned that prayer is work and your prayers will be rewarded as work for God, well that is certainly motivating for me to get them prayers done. You know...
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: