End Times and Current Events
April 20, 2024, 07:46:08 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: "Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me." John 5:39 (KJB)

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Study: Most churchgoers don't read Bible daily

Shoutbox
March 27, 2024, 12:55:24 pm Mark says: Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked  When Hamas spokesman Abu Ubaida began a speech marking the 100th day of the war in Gaza, one confounding yet eye-opening proclamation escaped the headlines. Listing the motives for the Palestinian militant group's Oct. 7 massacre in Israel, he accused Jews of "bringing red cows" to the Holy Land.
December 31, 2022, 10:08:58 am NilsFor1611 says: blessings
August 08, 2018, 02:38:10 am suzytr says: Hello, any good churches in the Sacto, CA area, also looking in Reno NV, thanks in advance and God Bless you Smiley
January 29, 2018, 01:21:57 am Christian40 says: It will be interesting to see what happens this year Israel being 70 years as a modern nation may 14 2018
October 17, 2017, 01:25:20 am Christian40 says: It is good to type Mark is here again!  Smiley
October 16, 2017, 03:28:18 am Christian40 says: anyone else thinking that time is accelerating now? it seems im doing days in shorter time now is time being affected in some way?
September 24, 2017, 10:45:16 pm Psalm 51:17 says: The specific rule pertaining to the national anthem is found on pages A62-63 of the league rulebook. It states: “The National Anthem must be played prior to every NFL game, and all players must be on the sideline for the National Anthem. “During the National Anthem, players on the field and bench area should stand at attention, face the flag, hold helmets in their left hand, and refrain from talking. The home team should ensure that the American flag is in good condition. It should be pointed out to players and coaches that we continue to be judged by the public in this area of respect for the flag and our country. Failure to be on the field by the start of the National Anthem may result in discipline, such as fines, suspensions, and/or the forfeiture of draft choice(s) for violations of the above, including first offenses.”
September 20, 2017, 04:32:32 am Christian40 says: "The most popular Hepatitis B vaccine is nothing short of a witch’s brew including aluminum, formaldehyde, yeast, amino acids, and soy. Aluminum is a known neurotoxin that destroys cellular metabolism and function. Hundreds of studies link to the ravaging effects of aluminum. The other proteins and formaldehyde serve to activate the immune system and open up the blood-brain barrier. This is NOT a good thing."
http://www.naturalnews.com/2017-08-11-new-fda-approved-hepatitis-b-vaccine-found-to-increase-heart-attack-risk-by-700.html
September 19, 2017, 03:59:21 am Christian40 says: bbc international did a video about there street preaching they are good witnesses
September 14, 2017, 08:06:04 am Psalm 51:17 says: bro Mark Hunter on YT has some good, edifying stuff too.
View Shout History
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Study: Most churchgoers don't read Bible daily  (Read 269 times)
Mark
Administrator

View Profile
« on: September 07, 2012, 06:27:52 am »

Study: Most churchgoers don't read Bible daily

While the majority of churchgoers desire to honor Christ with their lives and even profess to think on biblical truths, a recent study found few actually engage in personal reading and study of the Scriptures.

"Bible engagement" is one of the eight attributes of discipleship identified in the Transformational Discipleship study conducted by LifeWay Research. The study produced the Transformational Discipleship Assessment, which measures an individual's spiritual growth in each of these areas of development.

The survey found 90 percent of churchgoers agree that "I desire to please and honor Jesus in all I do," and 59 percent agree with the statement: "Throughout the day I find myself thinking about biblical truths." While the majority agree with both statements, there is a significant difference in the strength of agreement. Nearly two-thirds of churchgoers (64 percent) strongly agree with the first statement, but only 20 percent strongly agree with the second.

However, when asked how often they personally (not as part of a church worship service) read the Bible:

-- 19 percent respond "every day."

-- 26 percent say a few times a week.

-- 14 percent say they read the Bible "once a week."

-- 22 percent say "once a month" or "a few times a month."

-- 18 percent say "rarely/never."

"Bible engagement has an impact in just about every area of spiritual growth," said Ed Stetzer, president of LifeWay Research. "You can follow Christ and see Christianity as your source of truth, but if that truth does not permeate your thoughts, aspirations and actions, you are not fully engaging the truth.

"God's Word is truth, so it should come as no surprise that reading and studying the Bible are still the activities that have the most impact on growth in this attribute of spiritual maturity," Stetzer said. "As basic as that is, there are still numerous churchgoers who are not reading the Bible regularly. You simply won't grow if you don't know God and spend time in God's Word."

The survey also reveals six actions that positively impact the Bible engagement scores of individuals:

1. Confessing wrongdoings to God and asking forgiveness.

2. Believing in Jesus Christ as the only way to heaven and the number of years one has believed this.

3. Making a decision to obey or follow God with an awareness that choosing to do so might be costly. Sixty-three percent of churchgoers say they have done this at least once in the last six months.

4. Praying for the spiritual status of people they know are not professing Christians.

5. Reading a book about increasing their spiritual growth. Sixty-one percent of churchgoers say they have done this in the last year.

6. Having been discipled or mentored one-on-one by a more spiritually mature Christian. Nearly half of churchgoers (47 percent) say they have been discipled or mentored.

"Bible engagement points people toward maturity and maturing Christians have practices that correspond to Bible reading. Almost all churchgoers want to honor God, but more than a third indicate obedience is not something they have done when it is costly to them," Stetzer said.

"The impact of the Word of God on people's lives is seen in the relationship between Bible engagement and turning from wrongdoings and choosing to obey God -- two indicators of higher Bible engagement scores," he added. "Such tangible life changes show the transformational impact of Bible engagement in the life of a disciple of Christ."

These findings on Bible engagement are part of the largest discipleship study of its kind. Results from each of the eight attributes of spiritual maturity will continue to be released over the coming months.

To help pastors, churches and individuals measure spiritual development, LifeWay Research used the study's data to develop a questionnaire for believers, called the Transformational Discipleship Assessment (TDA). This online evaluation delivers both individual and group reports on spiritual maturity using the eight factors of biblical discipleship. The TDA also provides helpful and practical suggestions on appropriate next steps for spiritual development.

To learn more about the transformational discipleship research visit LifeWayResearch.com. The TDA is available at TDA.LifeWay.com

For the study, LifeWay Research interviewed a demographically balanced online panel of American adults who attend a Protestant church at least once a month. A total of 2,930 surveys were completed between Oct. 14-22, 2011.

http://www.bpnews.net/bpnews.asp?id=38659&ref=BPNews-RSSFeed0906&utm
Report Spam   Logged

What can you do for Jesus?  Learn what 1 person can accomplish.

The Man from George Street
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkjMvPhLrn8

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Psalm 51:17
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2012, 10:34:11 am »

5. Reading a book about increasing their spiritual growth. Sixty-one percent of churchgoers say they have done this in the last year.

Uhm, can't say I agree with this assessment - on a few occassions, let's say if it's a book defending the KJV/exposing the perversions(ie-Gail Ripplinger documented almost every fine detail in "New Age Versions"), or short e-books posted on this forum exposing the New Age agendas the UN is ramming down/exposing the SBC, etc(as well as a former New Age insider like Randall Baer giving out warnings), I would have no problems recommending them b/c as Christians, it would be a good idea to be aware of our enemies, who can be very subtle.

However, on the many other occassions where people like Ray Comfort, John MacArthur, Charles Stanley, or any other "denominational" big-wig bloke writes book after book on how we can live by faith, increase our faith, etc...ultimately they end up coming off as very fleshly, and it's as if your have that "I feel better about myself" mentality when all is said and done. God gave us the SCRIPTURES to exhort, comfort, and edify us, and that is ALL. When these people start writing books over how to live by faith, they end up writing more about their own words of wisdom more than anything else, when the scriptures themselves have POWER.
Report Spam   Logged
Christian40
Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 02:31:27 am »

So i assume they lumped the KJV in with the Modern Bible Versions, how about doing a study on Christians who use the KJV as there one Bible and compare that to those "Christians" that use the Modern Bible Versions and no KJV? Since only using the KJV as my Bible that i use, i have found that i read it far more often than when i was reading the NIV. This modern approach where people believe they can be a Christian and right with God and not read the Bible is another strong delusion.

The Word of God and Jesus are One - John 1.

1 Peter 1:
22 Seeing ye have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit unto unfeigned love of the brethren, see that ye love one another with a pure heart fervently:
23 Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.
24 For all flesh is as grass, and all the glory of man as the flower of grass. The grass withereth, and the flower thereof falleth away:
25 But the word of the Lord endureth for ever. And this is the word which by the gospel is preached unto you.

Luke 8:
11 Now the parable is this: The seed is the word of God.

Matthew 13:
22 He also that received seed among the thorns is he that heareth the word; and the care of this world, and the deceitfulness of riches, choke the word, and he becometh unfruitful.
23 But he that received seed into the good ground is he that heareth the word, and understandeth it; which also beareth fruit, and bringeth forth, some an hundredfold, some sixty, some thirty.
Report Spam   Logged
Kilika
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2012, 04:28:05 am »

"It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, [they] are spirit, and [they] are life." John 6:63 (KJB)
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: