End Times and Current Events
March 28, 2024, 07:02:52 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: "Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me." John 5:39 (KJB)

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

The true cost of Obamacare

Shoutbox
March 27, 2024, 12:55:24 pm Mark says: Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked  When Hamas spokesman Abu Ubaida began a speech marking the 100th day of the war in Gaza, one confounding yet eye-opening proclamation escaped the headlines. Listing the motives for the Palestinian militant group's Oct. 7 massacre in Israel, he accused Jews of "bringing red cows" to the Holy Land.
December 31, 2022, 10:08:58 am NilsFor1611 says: blessings
August 08, 2018, 02:38:10 am suzytr says: Hello, any good churches in the Sacto, CA area, also looking in Reno NV, thanks in advance and God Bless you Smiley
January 29, 2018, 01:21:57 am Christian40 says: It will be interesting to see what happens this year Israel being 70 years as a modern nation may 14 2018
October 17, 2017, 01:25:20 am Christian40 says: It is good to type Mark is here again!  Smiley
October 16, 2017, 03:28:18 am Christian40 says: anyone else thinking that time is accelerating now? it seems im doing days in shorter time now is time being affected in some way?
September 24, 2017, 10:45:16 pm Psalm 51:17 says: The specific rule pertaining to the national anthem is found on pages A62-63 of the league rulebook. It states: “The National Anthem must be played prior to every NFL game, and all players must be on the sideline for the National Anthem. “During the National Anthem, players on the field and bench area should stand at attention, face the flag, hold helmets in their left hand, and refrain from talking. The home team should ensure that the American flag is in good condition. It should be pointed out to players and coaches that we continue to be judged by the public in this area of respect for the flag and our country. Failure to be on the field by the start of the National Anthem may result in discipline, such as fines, suspensions, and/or the forfeiture of draft choice(s) for violations of the above, including first offenses.”
September 20, 2017, 04:32:32 am Christian40 says: "The most popular Hepatitis B vaccine is nothing short of a witch’s brew including aluminum, formaldehyde, yeast, amino acids, and soy. Aluminum is a known neurotoxin that destroys cellular metabolism and function. Hundreds of studies link to the ravaging effects of aluminum. The other proteins and formaldehyde serve to activate the immune system and open up the blood-brain barrier. This is NOT a good thing."
http://www.naturalnews.com/2017-08-11-new-fda-approved-hepatitis-b-vaccine-found-to-increase-heart-attack-risk-by-700.html
September 19, 2017, 03:59:21 am Christian40 says: bbc international did a video about there street preaching they are good witnesses
September 14, 2017, 08:06:04 am Psalm 51:17 says: bro Mark Hunter on YT has some good, edifying stuff too.
View Shout History
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The true cost of Obamacare  (Read 29035 times)
Mark
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: October 28, 2013, 07:12:44 pm »

White House Admits: Some Will Lose Health Plans...
http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/wh-its-true-some-americans-wont-be-able-keep-their-health-care-plan-under-obamacare_764860.html

Website Still Promising You Can Keep Your Insurance If You Like It...
http://weaselzippers.us/2013/10/28/white-house-website-still-promising-you-can-keep-your-health-insurance-if-you-like-it/

Nearly 1.5 million cancellations so far...
http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2013/10/28/ObamaCare-Costs-15-Million-Their-Health-Insurance-So-Far

Alaska Suspends Enrollments After Signing Up 3 People...

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/362381/alaskan-company-suspends-obamacare-enrollments-cites-faulty-subsidy-calculator

Administration grants six-week extension...
http://bigstory.ap.org/article/white-house-grants-extension-health-law-sign

Churches to Help Parishioners Enroll...
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/10/28/health-care-from-the-pulpit-heres-how-some-churches-are-spreading-the-word-about-obamacare/

REPORT: ADMIN KNEW MILLIONS WOULD LOSE INSURANCE
http://investigations.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/10/28/21213547-obama-admin-knew-millions-could-not-keep-their-health-insurance?lite
Report Spam   Logged

What can you do for Jesus?  Learn what 1 person can accomplish.

The Man from George Street
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkjMvPhLrn8
Psalm 51:17
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 28, 2013, 07:35:19 pm »

Now Caesar is calling in his chips. These 501c3 churches were helping out with illegal immigration recently.

Report Spam   Logged
Kilika
« Reply #152 on: October 29, 2013, 06:47:18 am »

Truth be told, "churches" have always help illegals, throughout world history. Churchianity has played both sides of the fence the whole time, trying to serve God and mammon.
Report Spam   Logged
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: October 31, 2013, 03:49:03 pm »

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/google-oracle-workers-enlisted-obamacare-180018091.html
10/31/13
Google, Oracle Workers Enlisted for Obamacare 'Tech Surge'

Google Inc. (GOOG), Red Hat Inc. (RHT), Oracle Corp. (ORCL) and other companies are contributing dozens of computer engineers and programmers to help the Obama administration fix the U.S. health-insurance exchange website.

The help is arriving as the government's main site to offer health insurance remains plagued by repeated outages a month after its Oct. 1 debut. Among those assisting are Michael ****erson, a site reliability engineer on leave from Mountain View, California-based Google, and Greg Gershman, the innovation director for smartphone application maker Mobomo, according to a government official who asked not to be identified because the moves haven't been made public.

The administration began touting a "tech surge" on Oct. 20, as a robust response to the software and technology errors on healthcare.gov that have prevented people from enrolling in health plans under the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act of 2010. Insurers have said they too are experiencing problems with incomplete or garbled data from the site.

"There are dozens of software engineers, developers, designers and analysts, who are methodically working around the clock on performance and functionality of healthcare.gov," wrote Julie Bataille, a spokeswoman for the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, in a blog post obtained by Bloomberg News.

The administration hasn't previously quantified the tech surge or identified any participants, other than Jeffrey Zients, President Barack Obama's incoming chief economic adviser, who was asked to first advise Bataille's agency on fixes.

****erson is working with QSSI, the UnitedHealth Group Inc. (UNH) unit that last week was named as lead contractor for repairs to healthcare.gov, Bataille said. Gershman is working with CGI Group Inc., the Montreal-based contractor that built much of the website.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 03:50:38 pm by BornAgain2 » Report Spam   Logged
Kilika
« Reply #154 on: October 31, 2013, 04:29:28 pm »

****erson is working with QSSI, the UnitedHealth Group Inc. (UNH) unit that last week was named as lead contractor for repairs to healthcare.gov, Bataille said. Gershman is working with CGI Group Inc., the Montreal-based contractor that built much of the website.

I see 2 MAJOR issues with that.

The first is why is a health insurance company heading up anything related to this? Seems like a big conflict of interest to me. And secondly, why is there ANY foreign company involved in any US government project involving US citizens?

Out of 300 MILLION citizens, and especially in what they call "Silicon Valley", not to mention MIT and Harvard, Standford, Georgia Tech, etc, they couldn't find US citizens to get the job done? Really? I don't buy it. They better follow the money and ask some serious questions because US citizens have obviously been scammed on a major level.
Report Spam   Logged
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: November 02, 2013, 01:12:22 pm »

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/healthcare-shoppers-aren%E2%80%99t-as-dumb-as-obama-thinks-195824524.html
11/2/13
Health Care Shoppers Aren’t as Dumb as Obama Thinks

President Obama calls them “substandard” insurance plans. But to many of the people who bought individual insurance policies that are now being canceled under the Affordable Care Act, their choice of insurance was a prudent decision that met their needs at a price that will be hard to beat under the ACA.

Jim Stadler is one of the “5 percenters”—the 5% of Americans with health insurance policies they purchased on their own—who got notified recently that their carrier was canceling coverage because it didn’t meet the tougher new minimum requirements of the ACA. Stadler, a freelance writer who lives outside of Charlotte, N.C., was laid off from a full-time job at an ad agency in 2009, at which point he became a freelancer and bought individual health coverage for him and his two kids.

Under Stadler’s expiring policy, his premiums are $411 a month, for coverage that always seemed adequate to him. “It’s not a substandard policy,” he says. “I thought it was a great deal.” The premium for the new policy offered by his insurer will be $843 a month, with coverage that’s more or less the same as far as he’s concerned. But new policies are required to include free preventive services such as mammograms and colonoscopies, and they can’t be canceled or priced higher for sicker people, which is why the cost of some policies is going up.

Since Stadler’s family’s income is too high to qualify for federal subsidies, he’s considering putting his kids on the policy his wife, a teacher, gets through her job. But that would be expensive, too. The thing that gets me,” says Stadler, who voted for Obama in the 2012 presidential election, “is I thought Barack Obama was the only guy I could trust in Washington. He ended up lying to me because he said, if I like my insurance, I could keep it.

The 5-percenter problem could end up being a much more serious albatross for Obamacare and its mostly Democratic supporters than the notorious web site snafus and other temporary snags, which can mostly be fixed. Obama did, in fact, say repeatedly, “If you like your health insurance, you can keep it.” But policies held by as many as 10 million Americans don’t meet the minimum requirements of the law and are now being canceled. Obama this week added a “vast majority” clause to his earlier claim: “For the vast majority of people who have health insurance that works, you can keep it,” he said in a recent speech on health-care reform.

Obama also continues to point out that many people whose insurance is being cancelled will get a better deal through one of the new exchanges, because of federal subsides offered to lower-income people to help them pay for coverage. The real losers, by contrast, are people like Stadler who won’t qualify for subsidies, and will no longer be able to buy “substandard” policies, either. Many such people will face higher costs for better coverage they wouldn’t choose to pay for on their own, which is exactly the type of Washington-knows-better policymaking that outrages Tea Partiers and many independents who think the government has become too invasive.

Distrust of Obamacare and the people running it has been compounded by the malfunctioning web site and the sheer complexity of the law and its many requirements. Jeanne Patterson of Drexel Hill, Pa., will be losing coverage at the end of the year, and her insurance carrier told her she must choose another plan by Nov. 20 or she won’t be able to get coverage for 2014. The White House, meanwhile, has said it may take until Nov. 30 to fix the crash-prone federal web site. The ACA gives people who choose a plan through an exchange until Dec. 15 to purchase coverage that would take effect Jan. 1, but like many others, Patterson hasn’t been able to navigate the buggy site to find out what her options are.

Patterson, a 58-year-old unemployed insurance broker, pays $500 a month for insurance now, plus about $100 in co-pays for three brand-name medications used to treat chronic migraines. She might qualify for subsidies under the exchange that would help lower her premiums, but she worries that her out-of-pocket costs for drugs will skyrocket. “I had a really good plan,” she says. “My main problem now is uncertainty. It has me sick. I don’t know whether or not I’ll have health care and I don’t know what it will cost me.”

Obama and his supporters have characterized many people who buy individual insurance policies as dupes who don’t realize they’re paying exorbitant prices for an inferior product. In his recent speech, for instance, Obama described such coverage as “cut-rate plans” offered by “bad-apple insurers” that “don't offer real financial protection in the event of a serious illness or an accident.”

But many of the 5-percenters Obama is referring to see a cruel irony the president may not be aware of. “They canceled my insurance, then said, ‘Hey go get yourself some insurance, and if you don’t, we’re going to fine you,’”says Nate Quarry, a 41-year-old former mixed martial arts fighter who lives outside of Portland, Ore., and whose insurance will expire at year-end. Quarry was happy with the $650-a-month plan that covered him and his daughter. He doesn’t qualify for subsidies, so he’s been looking for a new individual policy similar to the one he’s losing.

So far, the insurance companies he’s called and emailed don’t seem interested in covering him. “I feel like I’m standing on a used car lot saying I want to buy a car, and nobody’s looking at me,” Quarry says. “Is this really happening?” Once the dust settles from the turbulent Obamacare launch, maybe an insurance company will step forward to take his money.
Report Spam   Logged
Kilika
« Reply #156 on: November 03, 2013, 03:04:20 am »

“The thing that gets me,” says Stadler, who voted for Obama in the 2012 presidential election, “is I thought Barack Obama was the only guy I could trust in Washington. He ended up lying to me because he said, if I like my insurance, I could keep it.”

SURPRISE!

Sorry Mr. Stadler, you cannot trust Washington DC, nor anything in it!
Report Spam   Logged
Mark
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: November 03, 2013, 06:15:21 am »

Has a Man Ever Delivered a Baby? Sebelius: ‘I Don’t Think So’

During a House Energy & Commerce Committee hearing on the Obamacare website, HHS Secretary Kathleen Sebelius said, “I don’t think so” when asked “has a man ever delivered a baby?”

Rep. Renee Ellmers (R-N.C.) asked Sebelius, “Now as far as the essential health benefits, correct me if I’m wrong, do men not have to buy maternity coverage?”

Sebelius: “Policies will cover maternity coverage for the young and the healthy—”

Ellmers: “Including men?”

Sebelius: “30-year-olds will also have a choice of a catastrophic plan which has no maternity coverage?”

Ellmers “The catastrophic, but the men are required to purchase maternity coverage?”

Sebelius: “The insurance policy has benefits whether you use them or not, and one of the benefits will be maternity coverage, mental health coverage, domestic violence coverage.”

Ellmers: “And that is why health care premiums are increasing, because we’re forcing them to buy things they will never need. Thank you, madam chairman.”

Sebelius: “The individual policies cover families. Men often do need maternity coverage for their spouses and for their families, yes.”

Ellmers: “A single male age 32 does not need maternity coverage. To the best of your knowledge has a man ever delivered a baby?”

Sebelius: “I don’t think so.”

- See more at: http://cnsnews.com/news/article/craig-millward/has-man-ever-delivered-baby-sebelius-i-don-t-think-so#sthash.lK5VoHuW.dpuf
Report Spam   Logged

Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: November 04, 2013, 09:21:25 pm »

73,000 in Maryland losing coverage as insurers drop plans
http://www.baltimoresun.com/health/blog/bs-hs-dropped-plans-20131104,0,2782446.story

280,000 Kentuckians to Give Up Their Current Health Insurance Policies
http://www.insurancejournal.com/news/southeast/2013/11/04/310238.htm

80,000 Louisianians' health insurance policies will be canceled under Affordable Care Act
http://www.nola.com/health/index.ssf/2013/11/80000_louisiana_health_insuran.html

TV Shows Will Soon Be Weaving Obamacare Into Plotlines
http://www.mediaite.com/online/tv-shows-will-soon-be-weaving-obamacare-into-plotlines/

Young people are key for the Affordable Care Act to work, and as a result of a half-million-dollar grant by the California Endowment, TV shows regularly consumed by these young people will soon be weaving Obamacare into plotlines in order to get more of them enrolled in the health care program.

If you’ve ever watched Modern Family or New Girl and thought, “Gee, if only I was learning about the benefits of a complex federal program during this, it would be so much better,” you’re in luck!

The 18-month grant, to the Lear Center’s Hollywood Health & Society program, will be used for briefings with staff from television shows and to track health overhaul-related depictions on prime-time and Spanish-language television.

Since the grant money was provided so recently, no plot lines involving health care have been written…

For those who could benefit from coverage, “we want them to get the facts. We don’t believe the government alone can break through with those facts,” said David Zingale, a California Endowment senior vice president.

Though based on how two TV shows have already addressed the health care law, they may not get so lucky.

But regardless, you can look forward to seeing the characters of some of your favorite TV shows touting the virtues of Obamacare sometime soon. However, the White House should really hope it doesn’t get the House of Cards treatment.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 10:50:40 pm by BornAgain2 » Report Spam   Logged
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: November 05, 2013, 03:22:27 pm »

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/11/05/government-awards-more-contracts-to-company-that-created-obamacare-exchange/
11/5/13
Government awards more contracts to company that created glitchy ObamaCare website

CGI Federal Inc, the company that created large parts of the error-plagued ObamaCare exchange website, which it says it is scrambling to fix, has recently been awarded several other government contracts.

Since the ObamaCare exchange website launched on Oct. 1, government officials have signed at least five different agreements with CGI totaling $7 million, according to USASpending.gov, a government website that lists government contracts. The contracts were for computer and software development at the Department of Health and Human Services, the Department of Commerce, and the Environmental Protection Agency.

One contract, for instance, was signed Oct. 19 by Department of Commerce officials that gives CGI Federal $266,164 to provide "IT and Telecom Systems Development" for the Patent Office.

“From our perspective . . . the system is working."

- Cheryl Campbell, CGI Federal's senior vice president

The Commerce Department did not respond to inquiries from FoxNews.com about why they made the deal.

But CGI Federal defended that contract, saying the contract signing this month was essentially a technicality and an extension of an existing contract.

“CGI continues to deliver technology services and support under an existing contract agreement with the U.S. Department of Commerce, Patent and Trademark Office,” Linda Odorisio, Vice President of Communications for CGI, told FoxNews.com.

“It is the type work that has contributed to CGI's solid history of delivery and service to its government clients for more than 35 years,” she added.

But critics say it is absurd to give the company more government money and work at a time when other work they have done for the government is going poorly.

“This is a typical example of government creating perverse incentives,” George Mason University economics professor Donald Boudreaux told FoxNews.com. “Unlike, say, a private homeowner who fires a contractor who does a poor job, the government rewards such poorly performing contractors with new work at lucrative rates.”

CGI Federal was paid $290 million for its work in creating the ObamaCare exchange, and it was the one contractor that administration officials said failed to meet some expectations.

“We’ve had some issues with timely delivery,” Marilyn Tavenner, the head of the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, said in testimony to Congress last week.

Criticism of the contracts spans the political aisle.

“I think it’s a problem,” said Alice Chen, who supports ObamaCare and is executive director of Doctors for America. “I think you’d be hard-pressed to find someone who doesn’t.”

Health policy experts also criticized the contracts.

“CGI Federal has no real skillset and a lot of the projects they've worked on have failed,” Avik Roy, a senior fellow at the Manhattan Institute who attended congressional hearings on the ObamaCare exchange failures, told FoxNews.com.

But he added that the failure is no surprise, considering the bureaucratic way that contracts are awarded.

“In order to get through the procurement process of the federal government, you have to go through all these hoops -- it's a highly organized thing just to meet all the regulatory standards. And so the typical coders and programmers who would normally love to join a Google or a Facebook or whatever, they're never going to join a CGI Federal,” he said.

Roy added that government may be as much to blame as CGI Federal.

“I'm sure CGI Federal didn't do a great job, but they were heavily constrained in terms of what they could do, and a lot of the guidelines that they needed to move forward on the project they didn't get until the last minute,” he said.

A Senate Republican staffer reached by FoxNews.com agreed with that.

“I think one reason they're behind is that the administration didn't issue regulations from between Labor Day and Election Day last fall… it made things much more complicated for the contractor,” he said.

In congressional testimony, CGI Federal’s Senior Vice President Cheryl Campbell said that CGI is working hard to make the system better and defended the company’s performance.

“From our perspective, as painful as it sounds -- I know that the experience has been a difficult experience -- the system is working.  People are enrolling,” Campbell told Congress in testimony on October 24, and also promised that things would get better.

“There is no question that there are problems. And we are working together to solve those problems,” she said.
Report Spam   Logged
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: November 05, 2013, 03:46:48 pm »

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/11/05/obamacare-price-hikes-hit-red-states-hardest/
11/5/13
ObamaCare price hikes hit 'red states' hardest

Experiencing sticker-shock at the price of insurance on ObamaCare exchanges?

That's more likely if you live in a "red state" that didn't vote for Obama, according to price data compiled by the Heritage Foundation. In red states, premiums for 27-year-olds rose an average of 78% on ObamaCare exchanges, whereas in "blue states" that voted for Obama, premiums rose a smaller 50%.

Senate critics of ObamaCare say the difference is one way in which the bill is unfair.

"It’s unfair, outrageous and unacceptable," Senator John Barrasso, R-Wyo., who is also an orthopedic surgeon, said in a statement to FoxNews.com.

“After discovering that the President broke his promise that Americans can definitely keep their coverage, many red state Americans are now finding out that their rates will soar under ObamaCare. This... proves once again that the President’s health care law picks winners and losers across the country," he added.

Health policy experts say the reason red states got hit hardest is that they had fewer regulations to begin with.

"Think about it this way, what does ObamaCare do? ObamaCare imposes a one-size-fits-all regulatory scheme upon the insurance market. So if you're in a lightly regulated state today, all of a sudden it's going from a lightly regulated system to a heavily regulated system, and that drives up a lot of the costs,"
Avik Roy, a senior fellow at the Manhattan Institute who specializes in health policy, told FoxNews.com.

The increased regulations in question include requirements that insurers provide things like preventative care and contraceptives, which ObamaCare will now require in all states.

Asked about the numbers, the head of the pro-ObamaCare group Doctors for America pointed out that they don't take into account government subsidies that low-income people get under ObamaCare for purchasing insurance.

"The figures don’t take into account the subsidies... So it might be in a chart, but it’s not what people are actually seeing out there when they’re getting coverage," Alice Chen, Doctors for America Executive Director and a practicing internal medicine physician, told FoxNews.com.

Roy says that's a bad argument.

"The idea that somehow  insurance cost increases don't matter because there are subsidies for people -- no, because subsidies are paid for by taxpayers. Subsidies aren't free. They don't fall from the sky. So if you're going to take subsidies into account, you also have to take the taxes into account that paid for these subsidies," he said.

Slightly more red state Americans qualify for subsidies than blue-staters: 8.3% of people, compared to 7.9% of blue staters, according to data provided by Roy which is also on the Manhattan Institute's "Know Your Rates" calculator.

Chen added that, thanks to ObamaCare's subsidies, the rate increases would not be a problem for most young people.

"A Department of Health and Human Services analysis came out last week which showed that 50% of young Americans would actually be able to buy a plan for $50 or less a month. Makes me wish I was in that age bracket!" she said.

Others disagree.

"It's because the vast majority of young people can now enroll in Medicaid, which is effectively free. That's $50 or less. But Medicaid is awful insurance, and it has very poor health outcomes that are barely better than being uninsured. So yeah, you're going to get this "free insurance" that doesn't actually let you see any doctors."

A Republican Senate staffer who does health policy told FoxNews.com that the rate changes discussed so far aren't the only way in which ObamaCare transfers money from red to blue states.

"Red states are subsidizing the blue states' Medicaid expansion... What you have is a lot of the wealthier states, a lot of the bluer states, are expanding Medicaid. And the federal government has promised to pay 90 cents of every dollar to expand Medicaid to include childless adults," the staffer told FoxNews.com

"I don't think it's intentional on the part of the administration," he added.

Due to ObamaCare, a few "blue states" such as New York will actually see health insurance costs fall. Experts say that's because of a law in those states known as "community rating", which in New York means that everyone must pay the same price for insurance regardless of age or health. Since healthy young people were being charged the same rate as a 64-year-old with health problems, many young people gave up on buying insurance. But now, ObamaCare will force them to get insurance, and insurers may then charge everyone a bit less because young and healthy people cost them relatively little.

"A lot of these young people who opted out of insurance in New York will be forced to opt back into the system due to ObamaCare, and that will bring down rates," Roy said.

While the advertised prices of insurance in red states will rise 78%, and in blue states a smaller 50%, Roy pointed out that people were not always charged the advertised prices -- sick people have generally been charged more, but that will be illegal under ObamaCare, and so their premiums will go down. Roy redid the numbers to account for that, and using his numbers, the price increases change to 66% in red states and 48% in blue states for 27-year-olds. For 40-year-olds, it's a 37% increase in red states and a 28% increase in blue states.

"Our numbers are more flattering to the Obama administration, because if you're a healthy person you're going to pay a lot more than our numbers show," Roy said.

Chen said that, even if rates rise in some places, it's because ObamaCare has forbidden dishonest plans.

"In those states where it has traditionally been easier for insurance companies to sell a plan where they can yank it back as soon as you get sick, it is possible that you’re going to have to pay a little extra to be sure that plan is going to be there when you need it," Chen said.

Roy said insurance companies yanking coverage is already illegal.

"It almost never happens. It's already illegal unless you've lied on your forms," he said.

Senators opposed to ObamaCare say the whole thing is another reason to scrap the bill.

"We need to suspend the entire law and replace it with what all Americans wanted all along – affordable, accessible care,” Senator Barrasso told FoxNews.com.
Report Spam   Logged
Christian40
Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: November 06, 2013, 03:38:36 am »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQtxcKT-u_Y&feature=c4-overview&list=UUEHsSWvrGVSIA63OV3J6vhA
Report Spam   Logged
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: November 06, 2013, 05:53:48 pm »

OK - the writer of this article is Juan Williams - a FOX News contributor(and former NPR reporter), and he helps provide FOX's "liberal" balance with their "conservative" balance. As we all know, FOX News markets itself as "fair and balanced".

No - I don't agree with what he says here - but nonetheless am posting this here to show FOX's propaganda side by allowing liberalism slants to infiltrate their network. Ultimately, they're openly playing the Hegelian Dialectic card to the max(even much more so than CNN, CBS, and MSNBC), as we're seeing here. You saw FOX do the exact same thing to help push Bush and Cheney's Iraq war prior to the invasion.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2013/11/05/insurance-cancelled-dont-blame-obama-or-aca-blame-america-insurance-companies/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+foxnews%2Fmost-popular+(Internal+-+Most+Popular+Content)
11/5/13
Insurance cancelled? Don't blame Obama or the ACA, blame America's insurance companies

Liar! Pinocchio! Deceiver!

With all the charges flying against President Obama in the on-going effort to stop ObamaCare it’s time for a reality check.

Having failed to kill the Affordable Care Act in Congress by shutting down the government the opposition is currently taking delight in charging the president with lying to the public when he said anyone who likes their current healthcare plan will be able to keep it under the new law.

It turns out that some people in the individual care market – about 5 percent of the overall insurance market -- are having their insurance policies cancelled.

It is estimated that half of those folks will get better coverage for a lower price. Some people will even get subsidies to help them pay the lower price.

But some people losing their current policies [and being offered better coverage] are going to have to pay a higher price. Taking crocodile tears to a new level, ObamaCare opponents are now rushing to their defense and calling the president a liar.

These critics include Republican politicians who did not vote for ObamaCare; these are Republican governors who refuse to set up exchanges to reach their own citizens; these are people oppose expanding Medicaid to help poor people getting better health care; these are people who have never put any proposal on the table as an alternative fix for the nation’s costly health care system that leaves tens of millions with inadequate medical coverage and tens of millions more totally uninsured.

The fact is if you are one of the estimated 2 million Americans whose health insurance plans may have been cancelled this month, you should not be blaming President Obama or the Affordable Care Act.

You should be blaming your insurance company because they have not been providing you with coverage that meets the minimum basic standards for health care.

Let me put it more bluntly: your insurance companies have been taking advantage of you and the Affordable Care Act puts in place consumer protection and tells them to stop abusing people.

The government did not “force” insurance companies to cancel their own substandard policies.The insurance companies chose to do that rather than do what is right and bring the policies up to code.

This would be like saying the government “forces” chemical companies to dispose of toxic waste safely rather than dumping it in the river.

Or the government “forces” people to drive with intact windshields and working brake lights.

How dare they “force” drivers to pay money to get those things fixed if they are broken?

One of the most popular and important provisions of the Affordable Care Act is setting basic minimum standards of medical insurance coverage. Here are some of those standards:

- Your insurance company is no longer allowed to cancel your policy if you get sick

- Your insurance company cannot deny you coverage or charge you more if you have a pre-existing health condition

- Your insurance company must allow you to keep your children on your plan until they turn 26 years old or get a job that provides health insurance.

- Your insurance company cannot impose lifetime caps on you health coverage.

- And perhaps most relevant to current discussion about insurance companies canceling substandard policies, your insurance company must cover what are called “essential health benefits.”

What are “essential health benefits?”

They are clearly defined on HealthCare.gov:

“Essential health benefits must include items and services within at least the following 10 categories: ambulatory patient services; emergency services; hospitalization; maternity and newborn care; mental health and substance use disorder services, including behavioral health treatment; prescription drugs; rehabilitative and habilitative services and devices; laboratory services; preventive and wellness services and chronic disease management; and pediatric services, including oral and vision care.”

That’s right.

If you are rushed to the hospital in an ambulance, the ACA says your insurance company has to pay for the ambulance ride.

If your son or daughter has a bout with depression or suffers from panic attacks, the ACA says your insurance company needs to pay for their medicine and treatment from a mental health professional.

People should be angry that their insurance companies were not paying for these humane, common sense benefits all along.

It baffles me that people are directing their anger at the ACA which rights these terrible wrongs.

The Hartford Courant newspaper reports that the CEO of Aetna insurance made $36 million last year plus several millions more in stock options.

They also report that the CEO of Cigna cleared a cool $12.5 Million plus stock options.

The American health insurance industry is one of the most profitable in the history of the world. Before the ACA, they made money by finding any excuse, any loophole to deny coverage to the sickest and most vulnerable people in our society.

Rather than being vindictive and canceling policies under the pretext of ObamaCare, the insurance companies should be thanking their lucky stars that they do not have to contend with a public option or a single payer system. That is what the law allows in every other modern industrialized democracy.
Report Spam   Logged
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: November 06, 2013, 08:40:43 pm »

http://kdvr.com/2013/11/06/nearly-250000-colorado-healthcare-plans-cancelled-under-obamacare/
11/6/13
Nearly 250,000 Colorado healthcare plans cancelled under Obamacare

DENVER –  There are nearly 250,000 Coloradans whose health care policies have been or will be cancelled as a result of the Affordable Care Act, the state’s Dept. of Insurance announced on Wednesday.

Many of the policies are being cancelled because of stipulations under the new law that force insurers to cover certain things that weren’t covered under the old policies; other plans are being cancelled by insurers because they’re no longer cost-effective.

The cancellation letters sent out by the insurers must notify a consumer that the 2013 policy is cancelled, and must also highlight options for new coverage.

“Consumers who have questions about these letters or any questions about their health insurance policy should contact the Division,” said Commissioner of Insurance Marguerite Salazar.  “While some plans are being cancelled, Coloradoans have many new options for 2014, due to the strength and competitiveness of our health insurance market.”

Supporters of “Obamacare” note that, although many policies available on state insurance exchanges or the federal government’s glitch-laden website appear to be more expensive, federal tax credits for many individual and families are likely to lower health care costs for many middle-class Americans.

“I think it’s been a big shock for people getting these letters, but many of them have been able to log on to the exchange and get better plans at a lower cost,” Congresswoman Diana DeGette, D-Denver, told FOX31 Denver Wednesday.

But conservatives used the new numbers to argue that the law is a disaster, comparing the number of cancellation numbers to the number of people who have signed up.

So far, just 3,408 Coloradans have purchased new insurance plans on the exchange; many more, 34,168 Coloradans, have enrolled in Medicaid since the program expanded under the law.

“To have almost a hundred health plan cancellations for every exchange sign up in Colorado under Obamacare is exponentially worse than even the most extreme skeptic could have predicted,” said Kelly Maher, executive director of the group Compass Colorado.

DeGette acknowledged that President Obama’s now infamous campaign promise, that “if you like your existing plan, you can keep it”, was misleading.

“He should have said, ‘If you like your plan you can keep it — subject to the contractual agreement between you and the insurance company’,” DeGette said, acknowledging that such verbiage is a bit complex for a stump speech.

“In truth, most people’s policies, even before the Affordable Care Act, changed from year to year,” she continued. “This is a system that’s based on people getting private insurance; in many ways, it was a Republican idea.

“If people are having contracts with their insurance plans, those insurance companies are going to adjust those plans based on market conditions.”
Report Spam   Logged
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: November 07, 2013, 12:04:24 pm »

Yes - I know this article is primarily about the (dog and pony show)Virginia governor's race the other day - but nonetheless look at how the implantation of socialized medicine has been a TOTAL TEAM EFFORT from the get-go...

http://dailycaller.com/2013/11/06/cuccinelli-advisor-blames-bobby-jindal-rga-for-defeat-they-just-blew-it/
11/6/13
Cuccinelli advisor blames Bobby Jindal, RGA for defeat: ‘They just blew it’

“Bobby Jindal and his political team totally blew it,” harrumphed one advisor for Ken Cuccinelli the morning after a closer-than-expected loss.

Cuccinelli, who narrowly lost last night’s gubernatorial election to Terry McAuliffe, was badly outspent in the days and weeks leading up to the election. The New York Times‘ Jonathan Martin described Cuccinelli’s plight as having been “close to abandoned at the end.” He was. As Politico’s James Hohmann reported, ”The Republican National Committee spent about $3 million on Virginia this year, compared to $9 million in the 2009.” And as the Roanoke Times noted, in 2009, the Chamber of Commerce spent $973,000 on Bob McDonnell, but “[t]his year, the chamber gave Cuccinelli nothing.”

But it was the Republican Governor’s Association (RGA) and chairman Bobby Jindal who drew the most ire from a Cuccinelli advisor I spoke to on Wednesday morning — this, despite the fact that the RGA spent millions on the race.

“Bobby Jindal’s presidential campaign is over,” said the Cuccinelli advisor. “He screwed this up so bad. And I don’t know why. The campaign knew it was moving numbers over ObamaCare. And the RGA was not very far from that information, they could have obtained it themselves, the advisor continued. They should have given the money to the campaign to spend as opposed to running these stupid China ads. They just blew it.

The Democratic Governor’s Association (which actually spent less on McAuliffe) forwarded most of the money they contributed directly to the campaign. This meant they could focus like a laser beam on their message — for example, attacking Cuccinelli for advocating a “war on women.” (Conversely, the advisor says because Cuccinelli’s team didn’t control all of the RGA’s money, they weren’t able to focus on hitting the ObamaCare issue as part of a closing argument.)

According to a DGA memo (authored by communications director Danny Kanner) released last night: “The DGA contributed a total of $6.5 million to the McAuliffe campaign over the last year, an unprecedented investment for the organization in Virginia. Roughly $6 million of that sum was transferred directly to the campaign, a strategic decision that POLITICO reported was the “most important” of all those made by the extraordinarily coordinated Democratic effort to win the race.”

And the DGA even went out of their way to mock the RGA’s strategy, saying: “The DGA’s wise investments stood in stark contrast to those of the Republican Governors Association. Despite laws in Virginia that allow for unlimited financial contributions and complete coordination between the campaigns and outside groups, the RGA tried to run a different campaign than their own candidate – a puzzling strategy that made both the Cuccinelli campaign and the RGA less effective.”

This complaint was echoed by the Cuccinelli advisor: ”[The RGA's] ads were stupid. Instead of giving the money to the campaign who could spend it on ads, they were running all these ads on China — which did not move the needle. The problem is, it’s too convoluted for TV.”

“We were grossly outspent from DGA to RGA from memorial day to labor day,” the advisor continued, which “is when a tie race became a McAuliffe lead.

“They just took their money and spent it in New Jersey where we took a 17 point win to a 20 point win. They had a system — they had a process — that they thought was better than what Haley did. For some reason, they don’t do that in Jindal land. They run the ads themselves. I don’t know what their strategic thinking is. It just doesn’t make sense to me,” the advisor continued.

Republicans who worry about winning elections might want to take a closer look at the RGA. As the DGA’s memo boasts: “Since 2010, the DGA has won eight of the nine elections in which both organizations have competed. In nearly all of those races, the RGA has either matched or spent more than the DGA. But we spend our dollars more effectively.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, I understand that Obama just deliberately lied to the public over how they could keep their current health care plans, only to double-cross them when all was said and done - but nonetheless look how the enemies infiltrate - they do so from WITHIN, NOT from without!
Report Spam   Logged
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: November 07, 2013, 12:06:31 pm »

^^ Another note - both Ron and Rand Paul endorsed the GOP candidate in this race(and NOT the 3rd party guy) - shouldn't that tell you something how this team effort has been really wide? Yeah, even the "truth" movement is really being played here.

Matthew 7:13  Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:
Mat 7:14  Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

Report Spam   Logged
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: November 07, 2013, 10:38:45 pm »

http://news.yahoo.com/dhs-awards-5-3-million-202347099.html
DHS awards $5.3 million to Ga. health care centers

Department of Health and Human Services awards $5.3 million to support 10 Ga. health centers

11/7/13

ATLANTA (AP) -- The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services is awarding more than $5.3 million in Affordable Care Act funding to support new health care centers in Georgia.

In a release Thursday, department Secretary Kathleen Sebelius said the funding will help expand the delivery of health care services in the state, which is expected to impact more than 41,800 Georgians. Officials say the funding is expected to support 10 new health center sites in Georgia.

Sebelius says the funding is part of a national pool of about $150 million being used to expand services at 236 health care centers nationwide.

Sebelius says the state's health care centers are "key partners in the implementation of the Affordable Care Act," and that new health centers will increase access for those in need.
Report Spam   Logged
Mark
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: November 08, 2013, 08:49:47 am »

CBS News: ObamaCare About to Hit Employer-Provided Insurance

With his credibility shot, CBS News has apparently decided to not take President Obama's latest ObamaCare promise at face value. Now that millions whom the president reassured could keep their insurance are losing it, CBS dug into Obama's latest reassurance about the 80% not in the individual market, and also found that that's not exactly true. The truth is that a so-called "Cadillac Tax" is about to turn millions of employer-based plans into something a little closer to a "junk plan."

"If you're one of the 80 percent of Americans who is insured or covered through an employer plan or through Medicare or Medicaid, or the Veterans' Administration, there is no change for you except for an increase in benefits that everyone receives as a result of the Affordable Care Act," White House spokesman Jay Carney said Tuesday.

Yet in the years to come, some workers with employer-provided benefits will see their benefits scaled back because of an Obamacare tax. That portion of the law -- known as the "Cadillac tax" -- isn't set to take effect until 2018, but it's already influencing the benefits packages that employers offer.

"Every employer plan since the passage of the health care law has been working to make sure their health care cost trends keep their plans under the 'Cadillac tax,'" Steve Wojcik of the National Business Group on Health, a nonprofit that represents large employers, told CBSNews.com.

It is hard to tell if CBS News is just getting on the record with this report, or if the media is actually going to start doing its job with ObamaCare and give America a heads up on the fallout yet to come.

From the moment ObamaCare looked like a reality, conservative think tanks and Republican lawmakers sounded the warning that millions would lose their health insurance as a result. All the media did in response, though,  was to either ignore those warnings or push back on behalf of the White House and Obama's 2012 re-election campaign.

The effect ObamaCare will have on the employer-based market -- over a hundred million people -- is not limited to this Cadillac Tax. The White House itself estimated that tens of millions could be dropped by their employers and shoved into these ObamaCare exchanges. This could mean losing your doctor and having your health care options limited in a traumatic way, especially if you are already ill.

Though this unsettling White House report is out there, the media have yet to give it the attention deserved or to push the Administration to explain it, especially now that the president is claiming those 80% have nothing to worry about. 

The carnage that has already blindsided millions of middle class families in the individual market is only the beginning of the financial chaos ObamaCare is almost certain to rain down on tens of millions who made the mistake of taking a president at his word.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2013/11/07/cbs-news-obamacare-about-to-hit-employer-provided-insurance
Report Spam   Logged

Mark
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: November 08, 2013, 08:55:19 am »

Obama Rewrites Rule To Let Unions Avoid ObamaCare Tax

I love you man

While millions of Americans deal with the fallout of ObamaCare in the form of increased premiums prices and cancellations, the New York Post reports that President Obama has already moved to protect his Big Labor allies from paying their "fair share." After publicly refusing to do so, the Administration has quietly "sneaked in a rule that would let some labor unions off the hook for an ObamaCare tax."
 The tax, known as the reinsurance fee, requires self-insured organizations, such as unions and some large companies, to pay $63 for each covered member and an additional $63 for each additional family member on a health plan.

The fee was expected to raise $25 billion over three years, with the funds going to insurance companies to offset the cost of covering pre-existing conditions and other mandatory benefits.

Meanwhile, on top of the carnage already hitting millions middle class families in the individual market, there is a coming ObamaCare tax in the employer-based market that's about to affect millions who are apparently not among the president's top donors.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2013/11/07/obama-rewrites-rule-to-let-unions-avoid-obamacare-tax
Report Spam   Logged

Mark
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: November 08, 2013, 11:33:19 am »

Akron, Summit County change health care sign-up assistance

AKRON — After only three people showed up at the city and county Affordable Health Care Act stations seeking assistance last week, according to city officials, Akron and Summit County officials have decided to provide help on an appointment-only basis.

Individuals seeking to enroll in The Marketplace now can set up an appointment with a certified specialist from the county by calling Summit County’s care coordination line at 330-926-5660.

There will no longer be a Tuesday and Thursday “running appointment” service at the Lawton Street Community Center or at the Firestone Park Community Center.

Cheesy

http://www.akron.com/akron-ohio-community-news.asp?aID=21250

notice it says, showed up, not signed up
Report Spam   Logged

Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: November 08, 2013, 11:49:49 am »

From the moment ObamaCare looked like a reality, conservative think tanks and Republican lawmakers sounded the warning that millions would lose their health insurance as a result. All the media did in response, though,  was to either ignore those warnings or push back on behalf of the White House and Obama's 2012 re-election campaign.

They warned about it? Uhm...it was the "conservative" Heritage Foundation and Newt Gingrich that came up with the individual mandate idea 24 years ago. Obama's opponent Mitt Romney had Romneycare in MA, which none of these "conservatives" and "conservative" think tanks warned about.
Report Spam   Logged
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: November 08, 2013, 11:51:37 am »

Yeah, this has been a big train wreck from the get-go - dunno, but it seems to be all by design.
Report Spam   Logged
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: November 08, 2013, 12:18:42 pm »

I mentioned this recently, but will say it again - it was back in the 80's, when I was a young boy, when insurance companies for the most part didn't offer much mental health coverage. Yes, for the most part all of them did, but on a somewhat LIMITED basis(ie-most would give only 30 days in-patient hospitalization LIFETIME). Yeah, I know there were some that provided much more, but nonetheless for the MOST PART, that is.

However, as mental illnesses started growing at an exponential rate since then, it was especially after the turn of the 21st century when insurance companies really started making this coverage a priority.

Pt I'm trying to make here is that TPTB is only trying to cover up their real draconian agendas - forced vaccinations, poisons like Aspartame/MSG/processed foods, etc have been the real culprits.

So ultimately, this doesn't come as a surprise...

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/11/08/21366585-us-to-require-insurers-to-cover-mental-health-addiction-same-as-physical-illness?lite&ocid=msnhp&pos=3
11/8/13
US to require insurers to cover mental health, addiction same as physical illness

The Obama administration will require insurers to cover mental health and addiction just as they cover physical illnesses.

Secretary of Health and Human Services Kathleen Sebelius made the announcement at a mental health conference Friday morning at the Carter Center in Atlanta with former first lady Rosalynn Carter.

"This is the largest expansion of behavioral health coverage in a generation," Sebelius said. "The rule is a reality in part because of the leadership of President Obama, who was committed to getting this done this year."

The administration will post the parity rule for mental health later Friday morning, Sebelius said.

"There's no question we have to expand access to treatment, services, and support," she said.

The rule will guarantee that health plans' co-payments, limits on visits to providers, and deductibles for mental health benefits match those for medical and surgical benefits. It will also ensure that there is parity in residential treatment and outpatient services, a win for the mental health care community because so much of treatment of those suffering from mental illness or addiction is in those settings.

It will apply to almost all types of insurance, and is likely to gain an administration battered by its rocky rollout of the Affordable Care Act some popularity points.

Sebelius briefly addressed the issues with the introduction of healthcare.gov on Friday, saying there have been "inexcusable technology problems," but said, "the new law is more than a website."

She also said how happy she was to be at the Carter Center in Atlanta, joking, "Anywhere out of Washington these days is a good place to be."

For the 85 percent of Americans who have health coverage, Sebelius said, the Affordable Care Act will expand access to mental health — giving children more behavioral assessments and adults more screenings — and for those don't have insurance, "The new health insurance marketplaces are places to obtain coverage," she said.

Sebelius pointed out on Friday that more access to screenings for behavioral health for adults 18 to 30 — the age when serious pyschosis often appears — could be critical to saving lives. She also said that annually, twice as many Americans die from suicide as they do from homicide.

"Just think for a moment how different things would be if everyone felt like they could access treatment without the fear of being judged," Sebelius said.

The regulations put into effect the 2008 Mental Health Parity and Addiction Equity Act. According to the Carter Center, the landmark 2008 legislation combined with the new Affordable Care Act regulations for mental health as an essential service benefit extend federal parity protections to 62 million Americans.

"By ensuring people have access to care early in the onset of a mental illness, more expensive hospital and emergency services can be avoided. More people will be able to stay at work or in school or be able to contribute at a greater level to their families and communities," Paige Rohe, a spokeswoman for the Carter Center, said in a news release.

Rosalynn Carter praised Sebelius and the Obama administration on Friday.

"We finally achieved parity, which was a major milestone," Carter said.
Report Spam   Logged
Mark
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: November 08, 2013, 03:14:34 pm »

Yeah, this has been a big train wreck from the get-go - dunno, but it seems to be all by design.

It is designed to fail. This is all one big scam to usher in single payer across the board.
Report Spam   Logged

Kilika
« Reply #174 on: November 08, 2013, 03:51:39 pm »

People aren't interested in the bs, and most won't sign up. The government will have to force people into this one.
Report Spam   Logged
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: November 08, 2013, 04:47:00 pm »

It is designed to fail. This is all one big scam to usher in single payer across the board.

You took the words right out of my mouth - I was just about to post this. This universal health care system has been in the works for many, many years(as far back as Roosevelt). When Clinton wanted to push it, his single payer bill wasn't liked, but the GOP opposition wanted the individual mandate as an alternative(which is what Obamacare is currently, and what the Heritage Foundation/Newt Gingrich came up with in 1989). Then Kerry campaigned for universal health care in 2004.

Anyhow - fast-forward to our present day - pretty much everyone got caught flat-footed over Obama's lies at the last minute b/c of his other scandals this year(IRS spying, NSA/Snowden, and Benghazi) distracting away from it.

Ultimately, pt being that there's just so much last minute shock over this, that it's only going to usher in the single payer system when all is said and done, b/c everyone will be begging for it. Yes, I understand that Obama just deliberately lied over this - but nonetheless the timing of this has been all by design.

Problem. Reaction. Solution. This Hegelian Dialectic has been playing out for a long, long time over this.

Also - PPF/Alex Jones played a big role in this as well(albeit indirectly) - remember when posters over there started exposing Jesse Ventura's endorsing of Obamacare a couple of years ago(Ventura even did so in his book "Conspiracy Theory"). It was almost immediately when Geolibertarian and other mods there jumped in and started saying, "But Ventura was exposing the singer payer system"(while distracting him away from his Obamacare supporting comments).
Report Spam   Logged
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: November 08, 2013, 08:18:00 pm »

And look at how both "oppositions" are "sparring" with each other - it's so fake, it's obvious. Also - Jindal worked in the LA state government healthcare sector - so it's pretty much the pot calling the kettle black!

http://news.yahoo.com/obama-seeks-turn-conversation-healthcare-woes-economy-110127057.html
Obama spars with Louisiana governor over healthcare law
11/8/13

NEW ORLEANS (Reuters) - A trip by President Barack Obama to the Port of New Orleans on Friday was an opportunity for him to focus on the economy and divert attention from the troubled launch of his signature healthcare insurance program.

Instead, the visit turned into a spat over Obamacare with Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal, a possible Republican presidential contender.

Jindal met Air Force One when it landed and attended Obama's speech to a crowd of about 650 people on a wharf on the Mississippi River.

Obama first delivered a pitch for the creation of jobs by fixing roads, dredging ports and modernizing the U.S. air traffic control system.

Then he took a veiled jab at Jindal for failing to support a key plank of the healthcare law.

Louisiana is one of 24 states that has refused federal funds to expand Medicaid to more low-income people, money that Obama said would help 265,000 people in the state gain access to health insurance.

"Even if you don't support the overall plan, let's at least go ahead and make sure that the folks who don't have health insurance right now and can get it through an expanded Medicaid, let's make sure we do that," Obama said.

That opened the door for Jindal to accuse Obama of trying to "bully" the state. Roll Eyes

"We will not allow President Obama to bully Louisiana into accepting an expansion of Obamacare," Jindal said in a statement, saying the expansion would cost the state too much.

"The dysfunction of the website and the president's broken promises on being able to keep your health plan are just the tip of the iceberg in regards to the problems with this law," Jindal said.

Obama had repeatedly promised that Americans could keep their plans if they wanted, oversimplifying a clause in the law allowing some policies to be exempted.

In his speech, he repeated pledges to fix the malfunctioning Healthcare.gov website that is the main portal for enrolling in health insurance.

Obama's visit to New Orleans followed a television interview aired on Thursday, in which he apologized to Americans who were dropped by their health plans because of changes mandated by the Affordable Care Act.

Report Spam   Logged
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: November 09, 2013, 12:59:42 pm »

Senate Dems, house GOP team up on health plan fix
Posted: November 8, 2013 - 8:51pm
http://brainerddispatch.com/opinion/our-opinion/2013-11-08/senate-dems-house-gop-team-health-plan-fix

A rare bi-partisan move that would allow individual health insurance plans to remain in effect throughout 2014 was drafted by Mary Landrieu, D-La. and a similar measure was put forward by Rep. Fred Upton, R-Mich.

Recognizing the failure of Obamacare’s initial roll out, the unlikely move by Landrieu and Upton would allow individuals to forego the “forced” signup of the Affordable Care Act insurance until the kinks are worked out, hopefully by 2014.

“Despite the president’s repeated promise of ‘if you like your plan, you can keep it,’ many Americans are now learning the sad reality that their current plan will no longer exist beginning on Jan. 1,” Upton, chairman of the Energy and Commerce Committee, said in a statement when he announced his legislation last week.

“This legislation is about providing folks the peace of mind that they will be allowed to keep their current coverage if they so choose.”

Sen. Landrieu’s legislation would require insurers to provide coverage for individuals. The senator’s plan also requires insurers to explain areas in which the coverage falls short of the law’s requriements and gives customers a heads up so they have time to find alternative coverage.

In the recent past, Republicans have voted to repeal Obamacare.

Unlike other GOP proposals, Upton’s bill could conceivably add to the overall number of individuals gaining coverage. In political terms, it allows lawmakers to recite Obama’s pledge delivered before the American Medical Association in 2009. “If you like your doctor, you will be able to keep your doctor, period,” he said. “If you like your health care plan, you’ll be able to keep your health care plan, period. No one will take it away, no matter what,” according to the Associated Press.

Who knows, there may be hope for compromise in Washington. One can only hope, before this poorly written law leaves millions without health insurance coverage.
Report Spam   Logged
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: November 11, 2013, 03:05:16 pm »

http://www.forbes.com/sites/merrillmatthews/2013/11/11/new-mental-health-mandate-will-make-obamacare-more-expensive-increase-fraud-and-canceled-policies/
11/11/13
New Mental Health Mandate Will Make Obamacare More Expensive, Increase Fraud And Canceled Policies

Even as stories pour in of Americans facing steeply higher health insurance premiums and canceled coverage, Team TISI +0.37% Obama just imposed new regulations that will make those problems worse.  It’s almost like they can’t help themselves.

On Friday, Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius announced new regulations mandating health insurers cover mental and behavioral health to the same extent they cover physical health care.

A “mental health parity” mandate was passed by Congress in 2008, but Obama officials claim health insurers aren’t fully complying.  (You’ll just have to overlook the irony of the Obama administration, which has postponed several provisions of Obamacare without any legal authority to do so, complaining that others aren’t complying with some law.)

The more likely explanation is the administration is desperately trying to redirect peoples’ attention from the Obamacare rollout that has become a non-stop string of stories about failed websites, higher premiums and canceled policies.

President Obama’s latest effort to divert public attention ignores a fundamental problem: it’s much easier to know when a broken bone has healed than a broken mind.  That ambiguity opens the door to overtreatment and fraud.

Health insurers and actuaries have a lot of experience in this area because most states have passed some form of mental health parity legislation.

The Council for Affordable Health Insurance used to publish an annual chart tracking the number of state mandates, and health actuaries provided a general estimate of how much various mandates added to the cost of a basic health insurance policy.  Depending on what it required, mental health parity was one of the most expensive mandates, adding between 5 percent and 10 percent.  [Full disclosure: I ran CAHI for eight years.]

So while Obamacare is driving up the cost of a policy for many Americans by 50 percent to 100 percent, the new mental health rules will make coverage even more expensive—though it’s difficult to know by how much.

The state-based mental health mandate usually operated in an environment where health insurers could deny coverage for a preexisting condition.  Obamacare is eliminating that practice.  Now people with mental health, substance abuse and behavioral issues can sign up—well, if the bureaucrats ever get the website fixed—for subsidized coverage with very few limits.

Evidence is already emerging that those who have signed up are older than average, and they will surely be sicker—because they are the uninsureds most motivated to get coverage.

Furthermore, the mental health mandate could mean that millions of additional health policies will be canceled because Obama just expanded what’s considered qualified coverage.

If the past few weeks haven’t convinced you the Obama administration never understood how the law would affect health insurance, this new effort should do it.

Of course, mental health and substance abuse patients should get the quality care they need.  The challenge for health insurers has long been to provide good mental health coverage while minimizing the potential for fraud and abuse.

Hunger is also a social problem, and the government provides food stamps to help.  But what would happen if the government removed limits, both in the amount of funds and duration of benefits, and allowed recipients to have all the food stamps they wanted for as long as they wanted them?  Would such a program be ripe for abuse?  That’s what the president is doing with mental health.
Report Spam   Logged
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: November 12, 2013, 02:31:56 pm »

http://www.cnbc.com/id/101187368?__source=yahoo%7Cfinance%7Cheadline%7Cheadline%7Cstory&par=yahoo&doc=101187368%7CObamacare%20a%20single-payer
Obamacare a single-payer ploy, says ex-GOP Senator
11/11/13

If opponents of Obamacare were to succeed and the president's health-care law collapsed, what would take its place?

Former Gov. Ed Rendell predicted Monday that a system like Medicare for everyone would emerge. "If Republicans and some Democrats who are attacking Obamacare have their way and Obamacare falls off, I think we're looking at single-payer down the road," the Pennsylvania Democrat told CNBC's "Squawk Box."

In a single-payer system, a single entity—usually a government—collects all fees for health care services and pays out all costs.

Also on the show, Republican Judd Gregg claimed a single-payer approach was the plan from the start. "You will have folks moving employees into exchanges, because why should they pay the full cost of insuring employees when they can put the cost on the exchange? And the exchange puts it on the taxpayer," the former New Hampshire senator and governor said.

"Then the exchanges can't function, because they won't be able to be subsidized at that level they have to be subsidized at," he continued. "Then you have the human cry that the only way we can solve this is with a single-payer."

**So why are you waiting until NOW to expose this? Why didn't you expose this in 2009? Huh

Rendell said he did not support the single-payer approach, but added that if he had designed a system like that, it would be like Medicare. "We can have single-payer plus. A baseline that covers everyone and gives everyone prescription." People also would have the option to "buy up" for more robust coverage, he added.

A single-payer structure would lead to rationing," said Gregg. "You go to Canada, you're chances of getting elective surgery that's significant like hip replacement … you're going to have to wait two or three years. So you come to the United States and have it done." Sticking with the Canada example, Rendell pointed out that Americans turn to pharmacies north of the border to buy cheaper prescription drugs.

**Yeah, they've been conditioning this universal health care system for years and years - during the 2000 election campaign, the MSM made a big deal over Bush Jr's and Gore's prescription drug "plans" - and these "voting focus" groups were making a big deal out of it. At the time, it all came to nought when all was said and done.

On Monday, the state of Kentucky, which runs its own Obamacare exchange, said 40,572 residents have enrolled, including Medicaid and private insurance. The breakdown was 33,561 sign-ups in Medicaid and 7,011 in a qualified health plan since the program began on Oct. 1.

"The state exchanges are so much better," said Rendell, but admitted, "we didn't do enough on cost containment in Obamacare."

Gregg said Obamacare is too broad: "It should have been [just] a catastrophic coverage program."

**So you support government-runned health care too? Roll Eyes

This week, the Obama administration is scheduled to release October enrollment numbers from the troubled federal health insurance exchange, HealthCare.gov—the portal for 36 states that don't operate their own.

Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius told the Senate Finance Committee last week the early tally would be "very low," and the data would break out the numbers from the 14 other states and the District of Columbia that run their own marketplaces.

Government officials and outside contractors are working around the clock to fix the tech problems with HealthCare.gov before Dec. 15—the last day for people to sign up for coverage that begins on Jan. 1. The Obama administration has set Nov. 30 as its own deadline for getting everything running smoothly.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: