End Times and Current Events
July 21, 2018, 06:50:02 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: "Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me." John 5:39 (KJB)

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Bible stories come to life on History

Shoutbox
January 29, 2018, 01:21:57 am Christian40 says: It will be interesting to see what happens this year Israel being 70 years as a modern nation may 14 2018
October 17, 2017, 01:25:20 am Christian40 says: It is good to type Mark is here again!  Smiley
October 16, 2017, 03:28:18 am Christian40 says: anyone else thinking that time is accelerating now? it seems im doing days in shorter time now is time being affected in some way?
September 24, 2017, 10:45:16 pm Psalm 51:17 says: The specific rule pertaining to the national anthem is found on pages A62-63 of the league rulebook. It states: “The National Anthem must be played prior to every NFL game, and all players must be on the sideline for the National Anthem. “During the National Anthem, players on the field and bench area should stand at attention, face the flag, hold helmets in their left hand, and refrain from talking. The home team should ensure that the American flag is in good condition. It should be pointed out to players and coaches that we continue to be judged by the public in this area of respect for the flag and our country. Failure to be on the field by the start of the National Anthem may result in discipline, such as fines, suspensions, and/or the forfeiture of draft choice(s) for violations of the above, including first offenses.”
September 20, 2017, 04:32:32 am Christian40 says: "The most popular Hepatitis B vaccine is nothing short of a witch’s brew including aluminum, formaldehyde, yeast, amino acids, and soy. Aluminum is a known neurotoxin that destroys cellular metabolism and function. Hundreds of studies link to the ravaging effects of aluminum. The other proteins and formaldehyde serve to activate the immune system and open up the blood-brain barrier. This is NOT a good thing."
http://www.naturalnews.com/2017-08-11-new-fda-approved-hepatitis-b-vaccine-found-to-increase-heart-attack-risk-by-700.html
September 19, 2017, 03:59:21 am Christian40 says: bbc international did a video about there street preaching they are good witnesses
September 14, 2017, 08:06:04 am Psalm 51:17 says: bro Mark Hunter on YT has some good, edifying stuff too.
September 14, 2017, 04:31:26 am Christian40 says: i have thought that i'm reaping from past sins then my life has been impacted in ways from having non believers in my ancestry.
September 11, 2017, 06:59:33 am Psalm 51:17 says: The law of reaping and sowing. It's amazing how God's mercy and longsuffering has hovered over America so long. (ie, the infrastructure is very bad here b/c for many years, they were grossly underspent on. 1st Tim 6:10, the god of materialism has its roots firmly in the West) And remember once upon a time ago when shacking up b/w straight couples drew shock awe?

Exodus 20:5  Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;
September 11, 2017, 03:40:40 am Christian40 says: those in america should better repent or things will only get worse
View Shout History
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bible stories come to life on History  (Read 1877 times)
Mark
Administrator

View Profile
« on: December 25, 2012, 05:47:38 pm »

Bible stories come to life on History

Famed television producer Mark Burnett tackles his projects with passion, but The Bible is a special labor of love.

The 10-hour, five-part docudrama, which premieres March 3 on the History Channel, will span the Bible from Genesis to Revelation, presenting some of its best-known stories, including Noah's Ark, the Exodus, Daniel in the lions' den and the crucifixion and resurrection of Jesus.

Former Touched By an Angel star Roma Downey, Burnett's wife and fellow executive producer, heads a large international cast in the role of Mother Mary. Keith David, an Emmy winner for voice-over performances, will narrate with a musical score by Oscar- and Grammy-winning composer Hans Zimmer.

"In terms of importance, nothing we've ever done, not Touched By an Angel, not Survivor, not The Voice, not The Apprentice, none of this could possibly compare to The Bible," Burnett says. "To us, as a family, we love the Bible. This is not a TV show to us. It's images and sound and sacred text that people will still watch, way after our grandchildren are old people."

Since the entire Bible can't be covered in 10 hours, the miniseries, which was filmed in Morocco, focuses on a select group of stories and features such compelling figures as Abraham, Moses and David. Some stories had to be compressed for artistic purposes.

"In the end, what we've done is a meta-narrative, a grand narrative of emotionally connected stories. We know we're not qualified to teach the Bible. We're qualified to be good television producers and storytellers. By telling these emotionally connected, big stories, hopefully millions of people will reopen their Bibles," Burnett says.

He hopes the project brings comfort after the Sandy Hook school shootings. "What happened Friday is absolutely the saddest tragedy imaginable," Burnett says. "Our prayers are with the families and friends. We hope The Bible, by shedding some light into the world, can help in some small way to try and stop the darkness."

Downey came up with the idea for the miniseries a few years ago. "It is our obligation to tell the stories as written," he says. "The stories are so brilliant and compelling."

The project will have broad appeal, he says. "If you know the Bible, you'll enjoy seeing the stories come to life. If you've never read the Bible, I think you'll love the stories," he says. "There's a reason the Bible is the most widely read book in the world."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2012/12/16/history-bible-docudrama-mark-burnett-roma-downey-sneak-peek/1771069/
Report Spam   Logged

What can you do for Jesus?  Learn what 1 person can accomplish.

The Man from George Street
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkjMvPhLrn8

Social Buttons

Psalm 51:17
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 09:45:30 pm »

http://standupforthetruth.com/2013/02/rick-warren-creates-the-bible-driven-sermons-small-groups/

2/2013

Lord, what are we going to do?” asks a disciple.

“Change the world,” Jesus answers, in a slightly British accent

Here is the movie trailer from the History Channel’s new The Bible series set to debut March 3rd – Easter Sunday:

Link to video trailer inside

Will The Bible remain true to Scripture, or will its producers, Roma Downey (“Touched by an Angel“), and her husband Mark Burnett (creator of reality TV shows “Celebrity Apprentice,” “Shark Tank,” “Survivor” and “The Voice”), change things? We won’t know until we see it, but already The Bible is getting huge accolades and even a smartphone app. Downey plays Jesus’ mother Mary in the series.

And when America’s Pastor, Rick Warren ties his name and his Saddleback church to the project, well, many of you are probably wondering about the wisdom in joining in any church-sponsored small group studies around this movie.

Warren plans to give an exclusive preview and behind-the-scenes look at the production in a  90-minute simulcast that will feature an overview of the series with Burnett and Downey, according to Pastors.com, Warren’s website for Christian leaders and pastors.

Warren will incorporate the History Channel TV series during the next five weekend sermons. His Sunday evening services will feature a viewing of the series on big screens. He is encouraging other churches to do the same. Will your church tie into the Saddleback series?
Report Spam   Logged
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 09:49:00 pm »

Uhm...Jesus never said to change the world...

John 18:36  Jesus answered, My kingdom is not of this world: if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight, that I should not be delivered to the Jews: but now is my kingdom not from hence.
Report Spam   Logged
Kilika
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 03:04:04 am »

Amen, His kingdom is not of this world.

Change the world? Not exactly. More like level it!

But no, Jesus didn't present the situation like that. There is no changing the world, that's why it's going to be destroyed. I guess that's a change! Roll Eyes

And yes, if Warren is involved, run away.
Report Spam   Logged
Mark
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 03:48:07 am »

Bill O'Reilly: The Bible contradicts itself
Fox News anchor wrestles famous 'angel' over truth of Scripture

Who was just surprised by that?  Cheesy

Fox News anchor Bill O’Reilly, who is writing an upcoming book titled “Killing Jesus,” proclaimed on his program Wednesday night that “a lot of the Bible is allegorical,” and the New Testament Gospels contradict themselves.

O’Reilly made the remarks during an interview with “Touched by an Angel” star Roma Downey and her husband Mark Burnett, executive producers of “The Bible” TV miniseries which begins this Sunday night on the History Channel.

Downey, who portrays Jesus’ mother Mary in the series, opened the interview by declaring her solid faith in Holy Scripture.

“Bringing the Bible to the screen came with a huge responsibility and one we took very seriously,” Downey said. “We had a great team of scholars and theologians helping us, making sure that we told these stories accurately and truthfully. I’ve been a believer my whole life, and that was very, very important to us. Something else that we wanted to do was to make it really, really cool. You know, we have teenagers at home and [it's] hard to get them to read anything, and one of the goals here was to get this generation interested and excited about Scripture, and I think we’ve been able to achieve that.”

Read more at http://www.wnd.com/2013/02/oreilly-proclaims-the-bible-contradicts-itself/#pgJzqlTHt0Rcz7Hr.99
Report Spam   Logged

Kilika
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, 03:57:36 am »

"And he spake a parable unto them, Can the blind lead the blind? shall they not both fall into the ditch?" Luke 6:39 (KJB)
Report Spam   Logged
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2013, 10:33:11 am »

"And he spake a parable unto them, Can the blind lead the blind? shall they not both fall into the ditch?" Luke 6:39 (KJB)

Yep, and somehow FOX News was somehow a pro-Christian news network? Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2013, 11:24:37 pm »

Watched a bit of this last night just out of curiosity - doctrinally, it was LAUGHABLY bad, to say the least! They just added alot of stuff in there just to entertain, at the very least.

For example, when sodomites went to attack Lot's house, the angels that went to him went into a TRANCE while looking up to heaven, and by doing so got the sodomites's eyes to go blind. Uhm, scripture says otherwise...

Gen 19:10  But the men put forth their hand, and pulled Lot into the house to them, and shut to the door.
Gen 19:11  And they smote the men that were at the door of the house with blindness, both small and great: so that they wearied themselves to find the door.

Another example was when Moses went to face Pharoah to get him to let the Israelites free, Pharoah had him BEATEN UP in one scene...Uhm, this NEVER happened in scripture, and even my mom was like "This didn't happen!".

And another bad example was when Abraham took his son Isaac up to a mountain for a burnt offering when commanded by the Lord(to try Abraham), while showed Abraham doing so, at the same time Abraham looked like a scaredy-cat crying "please forgive me!". But scripture says otherwise, right? How Abraham showed great faith?

Rom 4:1  What shall we say then that Abraham our father, as pertaining to the flesh, hath found?
Rom 4:2  For if Abraham were justified by works, he hath whereof to glory; but not before God.
Rom 4:3  For what saith the scripture? Abraham believed God, and it was counted unto him for righteousness.

Couldn't bare to watch past the 1st hour or so.
Report Spam   Logged
Kilika
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2013, 02:55:11 am »

I missed the first hour, so we got it all between us! Wink

The second hour I started watching, and it was at Moses in Egypt, then returning as God commanded, and the show ended at Joshua taking charge after the death of Moses.

No question the series is a churchianity effort, and will promote their mainly Catholic version. And the Catholic commercial that came on, wow! Among others things, it said that Catholics "assembled" the bible. The whole thing oozed Catholic cult lies.

Anyway, pretty much as expected. The wife wanted to watch it, so I'm basically adding commentary as we watch, showing her the lies they tell and what scripture really says. So, truly "all things work together for the good..."
Report Spam   Logged
Mark
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2013, 03:53:50 am »

NOTRadio_03.04.13
Monday, March 4, 2013 at 4:38PM

Today's Show: THE BIBLE TV MINI-SERIES (BONUS SHOW!)

In this special one-hour bonus show, Chris discusses the premiere of the new Bible miniseries from the History Channel.  The series has been promoted by Christian ministries across the country, and was reportedly produced by two professing Christians, Mark Burnett and Roma Downey (who are also married).  They are each known for their successful Hollywood careers and spared no expense in creating a new version of the Bible on film.  It's something that's been anticipated by many people for weeks now.  In their interviews, the producers certainly seem to share a genuine faith in God -- but what are they communicating in this series?  Does it really give an accurate portrayal of the Bible?  Chris gives his review of the first episode.

http://www.noiseofthunder.com/storage/NOTR_BIBLE.SERIES_03.05.13.mp3

Tuesday, March 5, 2013 at 7:35PM
Today's Show: THE BIBLE TV MINI-SERIES -- PART II

Chris continues his discussion on the History Channel's new Bible TV miniseries, examining the faith of producers Roma Downey and her husband, Mark Burnett.   Also discussed are the theological advisors who provided insights for the series.  Upon watching the first episode, we can only wonder if anyone recommended "reading" the Bible before making a film about it.  Was the purpose of the series to merely tell stories, or to communicate the Word of God?

http://www.noiseofthunder.com/storage/NOTR_BIBLE.TV.SERIES.TWO.mp3

Thursday, March 7, 2013 at 5:30PM
Today's Show: BILL OREILLY VS. THE BIBLE

Chris discusses the recent interview with Fox News host, Bill O'Reilly discussing the new Bible TV miniseries.  O'Reilly says the series represents "fundamental Christian beliefs," and then goes on to say that the story of Adam and Eve was merely an "allegory" since the "science" of Evolution proves it can't be literally true.  Can a true Christian believe this?  Is it possible that God created the world by an evolutionary process?  And what is the truth about evolutionary theory?

http://www.noiseofthunder.com/storage/NOTR_BILL.OREILLY.INTERVIEW_03.08.13.mp3

Monday, March 11, 2013 at 3:13PM
Today's Show: RAHAB, JOSHUA & DAVID: THE BIBLE MINISERIES CONTINUES

Chris discusses the latest chapter in the History Channel's Bible TV mini-series, comparing these recent dramatizations with what is actually written in the Scriptures.  Was Rahab the harlot coerced by the Israeli spies?  Did they threaten to kill her son if she did not cooperate?  Did the Angel of the Lord say He would "split rock" for Joshua?  And did King David desire to build a temple for God ... or for himself?  These questions and many others are just a few of the concerns over this second chapter of the new miniseries.

http://www.noiseofthunder.com/storage/NOTR_RAHAB.JOSHUA.DAVID_03.12.13.mp3
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 07:45:59 am by Mark » Report Spam   Logged

Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2013, 09:42:26 am »

http://www.wnd.com/2013/03/just-how-unbiblical-is-the-bible/

Just how unbiblical is 'The Bible'?(History Channel tv series, THAT IS)

Famous Christians of today deviate from Scripture in TV series

With Ninja angels in ancient Sodom, the highly publicized TV miniseries “The Bible,” which made its national debut Sunday night on the History Channel, does not always stick to Scripture, despite being produced by two famous Christians and having numerous biblical experts as well as Texas megapastor Joel Osteen advising on the project.

The program was brought to life by Roma Downey, former star of “Touched by an Angel,” and her husband, Mark Burnett, the renowned Hollywood producer of shows such as “The Voice,” “Survivor” and “The Apprentice.”

“Bringing the Bible to the screen came with a huge responsibility and one we took very seriously,” Downey said on “The O’Reilly Factor” last Thursday. “We had a great team of scholars and theologians helping us, making sure that we told these stories accurately and truthfully.”

“I’ve been a believer my whole life, and that was very, very important to us,” she added.

But when the program debuted, it was obvious there were glaring additions made to the TV show that are never mentioned in the Bible.

With the first episode focusing on the events in Genesis and Exodus, the first major non-biblical entry was the inclusion of an angel turning into a Ninja-style warrior wielding two swords and embarking on an expertly choreographed, slow-motion stabbing spree to slay the wicked men of Sodom, as can be seen in the following video clip:

According to the Old Testament, angels merely struck the citizens of Sodom with blindness before God firebombed the entire city. The TV series did include those elements as well. The show, however, did not mention the rampant homosexuality in Sodom, or that the city’s men actually sought to have sex with the angels. (Genesis 19:5)

Fed up with people who twist Scripture or deny the truth of the Bible? You can get personally autographed copies of “The Divine Secret” by Joe Kovacs right now, or get autographed copies of both “The Divine Secret” and “Shocked by the Bible”bundled together!

Perhaps alluding to scenes like the the Ninja angels, Downey had told O’Reilly, Something else that we wanted to do was to make [the series] really, really cool. You know, we have teenagers at home and [it's] hard to get them to read anything, and one of the goals here was to get this generation interested and excited about Scripture, and I think we’ve been able to achieve that.”

Another deviation from the Bible depicts the patriarch Abraham arguing with God over the demand to sacrifice his son, Isaac.

“Have I not shown you enough faith?” he asks the Almighty in the program.

The Bible never hints that Abraham questioned the command to sacrifice Isaac
. But the TV program does correctly show God halting Abraham from going through with the execution of his son.

A common mistake in faith-related movies is continued in “The Bible,” as the Ten Commandments were shown to be blank on the back side of the tablets, when Scripture says “They were inscribed on both sides, front and back.” (Exodus 32:15)

According to the trailer for the series, a future episode about the New Testament depicts three wise men presenting their gifts to baby Jesus the night the Savior was born and put in a manger in Bethlehem.

But the Gospels of Luke and Matthew indicate no wise men were in attendance the night He was born. Only shepherds were present, having been invited by angels to see the baby wrapped in swaddling clothes and lying in a manger.

The famous wise men – the Bible never specifies their precise number – arrived later, possibly up to two years later, to present their gifts to Jesus when He was a young child in a house, not a babe in a manger. (Matthew 2:11)

Read more at http://www.wnd.com/2013/03/just-how-unbiblical-is-the-bible/#OFlljwgEekdYMwqL.99
Report Spam   Logged
Mark
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2013, 11:36:38 am »

famous Christians and having numerous biblical experts

Report Spam   Logged

Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2013, 11:40:37 am »

Gal_6:3  For if a man think himself to be something, when he is nothing, he deceiveth himself.
Report Spam   Logged
Kilika
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2013, 05:07:53 pm »

as well as Texas megapastor Joel Osteen advising on the project.

That REALLY explains a lot. Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged
Mark
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2013, 04:02:38 am »

NOTR link updated
Report Spam   Logged

Mark
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2013, 07:48:25 am »

I picked this up last night also, had to have been done on purpose. Kind of odd since i would bet the people behind this program probably voted for Obama

Why does the devil in 'The Bible' look exactly like President Obama?

Sunday evening's episode of the History Channel's hit series 'The Bible' threw up an awkward coincidence when viewers noticed that Satan bore a remarkable resemblance to President Obama.

Twitter exploded into life during the airing of the latest edition of the Mark Burnett-produced series with most noting the striking similarities between the 44th President and the devil played by actor Mehdi Ouzaani.

The show has been a surprise hit in the ratings, with the religious mini-series attracting 13.1 million viewers on Wednesday - topping television leviathan American Idol's 12.8 million viewers on Wednesday.

Scroll down for video

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2295082/Why-does-devil-The-Bible-look-exactly-like-President-Obama.html#ixzz2NtYnIYE9
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 05:06:09 pm by BornAgain2 » Report Spam   Logged

Kilika
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2013, 12:53:24 pm »

I can kinda see a resemblance, but not really. No matter, his fruit has already shown him to be a devil. And then the media/entertainment industry is used it seems to show the public of what's coming or what is currently. They act like they are playing "art imitates life" kinda thing, but the reality I think is that they use it to project their intentions. Art involves imagery in many ways, with the basic idea to convey a mindset or a thought to the viewer by what color, size, shape, volume, perspective, etc. Many try to use their images to put the observer into a certain attitude or emotion. Standard carnal mind games because the enemy knows too that man does indeed look on the outward appearance, playing on the "...lust of the eyes...".

Last nights episode has a really strong Catholic spin to start out. Notice too they left out any mention of the Spirit with Jesus' baptism and a couple other places the text version they used left out where scripture mentions the Holy Ghost. And of course the first disciple they highlight was Peter, again playing to the Catholic crowd.

In the book of John, it is Simon Peter and Andrew his brother, followers of John the baptist, who follow Jesus first. They hear John the Baptist say, "Behold the Lamb of God" to Jesus, so they left John and followed Jesus. Philip was third.

Matthew has Simon Peter and Andrew fishing, not just Peter. Jesus told them He would make them fishers of men, and they left their nets then. They didn't continue fishing.

The full nets is from later on in John when several, Simon Peter, Thomas, Nathanael, the sons of Zebedee and two unnamed others, were out fishing and not catching anything and Jesus told them to cast their nets on the right side of the boat and pulled in loads of fish, so the tv show definitely played some "creative license" with the story line there so they could put the focus on Peter only. Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2013, 05:05:12 pm »

Remember the last "Star Wars" movie had a character looking exactly like Pope Benedict, which was the same year he was appointed Pope(2005). There have been recent "Apocalypse" movies over the last 10-15 years("2012" and "Deep Impact") which featured black Presidents. And those numerous movies showing NYC's Twin Towers either getting blown up or showing messages of them getting so prior to 2001.

Yeah, pretty much Satan's minions have used the entertainment media to either telegraph their punches or condition the public. And for the most part it's been very subtle.
Report Spam   Logged
Mark
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2013, 07:36:35 am »

3 Reasons I Don’t Enthusiastically Recommend the History Channel’s “The Bible: The Epic Miniseries”

Adapting a book to film is tricky. Sometimes books-to-film turn out surprisingly well (e.g., The Gospel of John—my favorite “Bible” film). Often they don’t (e.g., the recent Narnia films).

The History Channel aired The Bible: The Epic Miniseries throughout March 2013. About 100 million people watched all or part of the series. (I bought the series on DVD after reading two reviews.)

On the one hand, this series will doubtless serve as a means to a good end for some viewers:
 1.Some people think that the Bible is a boring old book filled with irrelevant or misguided rules. This series may spark an interest in the Bible that will compel them to actually read it. That’s good.
 2.Some people think that the Bible is a collection of unconnected or loosely connected short stories. This series may help people view the Bible as one big story with turning points: from creation to the fall to Noah to Abraham to the exodus to Israel and then climaxing with Jesus. That’s good.
 3.Some people are relatively unaware of what the world of the Bible was like culturally. This series may help people better understand what the political scenes were like or how people typically dressed or what various places may have looked like. That’s good.

On the other hand, the series could be far better. While watching it with my wife, we became increasingly disappointed with it. I was planning to watch it with my children but not anymore. I don’t enthusiastically recommend it for at least three reasons:

1. It does not consistently present God as great and good.

The OT stories in particular depict God as capricious, bloodthirsty, and vengeful. It doesn’t root God’s righteous wrath in his glorious holiness. It doesn’t explain, for example, why God pours out his wrath in Noah’s flood or why Jesus came to earth and then died on the cross. Instead, the series focuses on telling part of the Bible’s story in a hip, entertaining way.

Most serious of all, the series doesn’t emphasize the Bible’s ultimate doxological purpose. It doesn’t compel viewers to think, “Wow. God is amazing! God is glorious! God is great, and God is good.”

After my wife read a draft of this essay, she replied,

I am not sure point 1 is strong enough. This is a way bigger deal than getting Cyrus and Darius confused. It rather “turned off” my faith. I was left thinking, “Wow, these stories are really strange. I can’t believe people actually believe this.” It feels like Greek mythology or other weird religious stories. It does not ring true or make me worship God.

For the millions of viewers who are biblically illiterate or have a very sketchy understanding of the Bible, I’m not sure that this series helps them understand God much better. At best it may contribute to stirring up their interest about God so that they actually read the Bible.

2. It gratuitously displays graphic violence.

The Bible is a violent book, but it doesn’t glory in the gore like these films do. The graphic violence is relentless and gratuitous. It’s Peter Jackson-esque.

The Samurai-angel

For example, my wife and I couldn’t believe it when a Samurai-angel who was delivering Lot and his family from Sodom dramatically pulls two swords strapped to his back and starts slaying people in Sodom with flashy Samurai-moves. And we lost count of the number of times the film graphically shows executions by throat-slitting or sword-piercing or decapitation, complete with blood-squirting and intense sound effects.

We got to the point where I would fast-forward through gory scenes on 2x or 4x speed while my wife looked away. This is definitely not for children.

What is the warrant for displaying graphic violence like this? Is it to keep the interest of people who have become desensitized to graphic violence and no longer recoil at it? Whatever the reasons, I can’t think of a good one.

3. It repeatedly changes important details.

Obviously, a short video-overview of the Bible (like a children’s story-Bible book) can’t include all the details, but the details it chooses to include should be accurate. This series repeatedly changes important details in at least three ways:
 1.It portrays stories inaccurately. Nine examples: 1.God’s people walk through the Red Sea on muddy ground in the midst of a rain storm (rather than on dry ground).

Azariah and Daniel
In the story of Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, no soldiers die, but instead the king intentionally burns his hand during the attempted execution to see if the fire is real (rather than the furnace burning so hot that the flames kill the soldiers who cast the three men into the fiery furnace).

3.Satan temps Jesus on a desert cliff (rather than the Temple Mount).
 4.Herod Antipas orders John the Baptist’s execution when John tells him about Jesus the Messiah (rather than reluctantly decapitating him after Antipas rashly promises to grant the wish of a dancing girl at his birthday party).
 5.Jesus walks into Lazarus’s tomb and gives a mini-discourse in the presence of the sisters before raising Lazarus from the dead (rather than shouting from outside the tomb, “Lazarus, come out!”).
 6.Caiaphas tricks Judas to betray Jesus, and Judas basically sins against his will. The film portrays Judas as a sympathetic figure.
 7.When Peter tells Jesus that he is willing to die for Jesus, Jesus responds with gratitude and emotionally embraces Peter, but in the middle of the hug, he apparently receives a revelation that Peter will deny him and then sadly breaks that news to Peter. Then Peter denies Jesus the following day after Jesus is arrested (rather than that very night).
 8.After Peter heals the lame beggar in Acts 3, he says, “It is through Jesus. He did not die.” Similarly, Stephen later says, “They tried to kill him, but they failed.” That is a really poor choice of words. (I realize that they are trying to communicate that Jesus didn’t stay dead and that he is alive.)
 9.Stephen got stoned to death without a trial, and Saul instigated and led the stoning.

2.It conflates important details. Five examples: 1.David confronts King Saul with Saul’s torn robe in the cave immediately after he cuts the robe, and Saul responds with defiance rather than an apology.
 2.The king who throws Daniel into the lion’s den is Cyrus (not Darius), and when Daniel comes out of the lion’s den, the king promptly decrees to Daniel that the Jews can go back to Jerusalem.
 3.Lazarus’s sisters inform Jesus that Lazarus has died when Jesus and his disciples arrive in Bethany, and the concerned Jesus asks to see the tomb immediately.
 4.The meeting between Nicodemus and Jesus (John 3) occurs on Wednesday of the Passion week.
 5.Thomas is present when Jesus appears to his disciples for the first time and expresses doubt that what they are seeing is actually Jesus.

Young Moses
It adds subplots that are not in the Bible. One rationale that projects like this make for changing details is that they have such little time to present such a massive story. But if you have such limited time to present what is actually in the Bible, why spend so much time on subplots that are not in the Bible? Here are three examples:
 1.Moses and Ramses have a childhood rivalry.
 2.Daniel tries to persuade his three friends to bow down to the statue of Nebuchadnezzar.

Pilate

During the life, arrest, trial, and crucifixion of Jesus, prominent characters include Pilate, Caiaphas, Nicodemus, Malchus, and Barabbas with all sorts of added twists—mostly political ones, such as Pilate’s looming threat to cancel Passover and close the temple if there is further Jewish unrest.

(Wikipedia lists other discrepancies as well.)

The examples above don’t include less egregious changes. Four examples:

David prepares to fight Goliath

David starts speaking Psalm 23 to himself while he walks to face Goliath.

2.Jesus tells the story of the praying pharisee and tax collector when he calls Matthew to follow him.
 3.Paul quotes parts of 1 Corinthians 13 while defending himself to a group of Christians who are skeptical that he no longer persecutes Christians.
 4.Peter tells John, “Good luck,” when John leaves Jerusalem for Ephesus.

These sorts of changes may have only minor effects on people who watch this series and know little about the Bible. Many will think, “Oh! So that’s where that comes from! David spoke Psalm 23 right before he killed Goliath!’” Ideally, this will compel people to read the Bible for themselves. But I suspect that it will mislead and confuse people regarding details.

That’s why I don’t enthusiastically recommend the series. I wish I could. I wanted to.

http://andynaselli.com/3-reasons-i-dont-enthusiastically-recommend-the-history-channels-the-bible-the-epic-miniseries
Report Spam   Logged

Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2013, 08:48:21 am »

On the one hand, this series will doubtless serve as a means to a good end for some viewers:
 1.Some people think that the Bible is a boring old book filled with irrelevant or misguided rules. This series may spark an interest in the Bible that will compel them to actually read it. That’s good.
 2.Some people think that the Bible is a collection of unconnected or loosely connected short stories. This series may help people view the Bible as one big story with turning points: from creation to the fall to Noah to Abraham to the exodus to Israel and then climaxing with Jesus. That’s good.
 3.Some people are relatively unaware of what the world of the Bible was like culturally. This series may help people better understand what the political scenes were like or how people typically dressed or what various places may have looked like. That’s good.

On the other hand, the series could be far better. While watching it with my wife, we became increasingly disappointed with it. I was planning to watch it with my children but not anymore. I don’t enthusiastically recommend it for at least three reasons:

Yeah, this is my beef when it comes to showing other materials et al like this to witness to someone - for example, how many times do you hear people say, "But many got saved watching Billy Graham's preaching!" or "But many got saved watching Mel Gibson's Passion", etc, etc.

Pt being that there's also the DARK SIDE to this - ie, some 98% or so watching these Billy Graham "crusades" end up falling away, and Gibson's "Passion" movie didn't exactly spark revival either(ie-I myself was hit pretty hard, emotionally, watching this film, but I didn't exactly get saved watching it). And it also goes for other stuff where Churchianity tries to sensationalize things - for example, back in 2001 when I attended a church out of town on Easter weekend, they put out a play production of various characters dying unexpectedly, and are faced at judgment. To be frank, it hit me(and many others) hard when they showed the unbelievers being dragged to hell. But what they were missing in it was the GOOD NEWS of Jesus Christ dying on the cross for our sins(it's as if they wanted to scare you more than anything else instead).

Ultimately, it would be much simpler to open up your bibles to various passages like John 3:16, I Peter 3:18, Ephesians 2:8-9, etc instead to witness to someone. And if they don't listen, then that's on them.

The OT stories in particular depict God as capricious, bloodthirsty, and vengeful. It doesn’t root God’s righteous wrath in his glorious holiness. It doesn’t explain, for example, why God pours out his wrath in Noah’s flood or why Jesus came to earth and then died on the cross. Instead, the series focuses on telling part of the Bible’s story in a hip, entertaining way.

From what I understand, this is what the Gnostics/Freemasons believe - you have Gnosticism influence in Hollywood/entertainment products...no wonder why they have tons of subliminal messages portraying God as such.

For the millions of viewers who are biblically illiterate or have a very sketchy understanding of the Bible, I’m not sure that this series helps them understand God much better. At best it may contribute to stirring up their interest about God so that they actually read the Bible.

Also the same leaven the modern-day church(buildings) have - for anyone(including myself) that attends these churches, these churches preach/do a number of things that just conflict greatly with what the bible says. But en yet they keep making excuses like, "It doesn't matter b/c we preach Jesus to lost souls". Seriously - if the pastor is always preaching revival, then he doesn't believe the bible himself, b/c scripture clearly says it will get worse and worse as the end times draw near. Or if the pastor says we have to be in church all day on Sunday, he sure has no understanding of the bible either - b/c Christians aren't under the law anymore.

It's as if more subtle ways are being found to get bibles thrown away.

2. It gratuitously displays graphic violence.

The Bible is a violent book, but it doesn’t glory in the gore like these films do. The graphic violence is relentless and gratuitous. It’s Peter Jackson-esque.

<skip>

What is the warrant for displaying graphic violence like this? Is it to keep the interest of people who have become desensitized to graphic violence and no longer recoil at it? Whatever the reasons, I can’t think of a good one.

The NWO minions have turned this society into a sex/violence obsessed society, which has been part of the NWO plan from the get-go. Gibson's "Passion" film was like this too - no, MG didn't display the violence in it like it was real, it felt like modern-day secular Hollywood movie violence, to be frank.

3. It repeatedly changes important details.

It wasn't too long ago, Scorcese's "Last Temptation of Christ" in the 1980's, when he took many liberties changing important details with this film, and it got a lot of backlash for it(for good reason).

Wow...fast-forward to our present day, and you really don't hear much of a chirp over this "Bible" miniseries which took even more liberties changing important details.

Report Spam   Logged
Mark
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2013, 08:48:36 am »

ahh, now they can just make stuff up and promote the CATHOLIC church, probably make the Muslims a part of it too.

'The Bible' TV miniseries will get NBC sequel

US television network NBC said on Monday that it will produce a follow-up to the History Channel's popular miniseries "The Bible," which topped ratings when it premiered in March.

The sequel, which does not have an expected air or production date, has the working title "A.D.: Beyond the Bible," picks up in the time following Jesus Christ's death.

It is the first announced project of Comcast Corp-owned NBC's long-from programming initiative.

The History Channel's miniseries drew strong ratings for a cable program. It averaged 11.4 million viewers over its 10 episodes and its March 3 premiere episode was watched by 13.1 million, which beat all broadcast TV programs on that day.

The series averaged about 11 million viewers per episode.

"The Bible" miniseries was created by husband-and-wife team Mark Burnett and Roma Downey.

The History Channel is owned by Walt Disney Co and privately held Hearst Corp.

http://dawn.com/news/1022275/the-bible-tv-miniseries-will-get-nbc-sequel
Report Spam   Logged

Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2013, 08:16:59 pm »

Mark Burnett to speak at Bill Hybels's Willow Creek Association 2013 Global Leadership Summit next month...
http://www.heritageqc.com/index.php/leadership-summit-2013/summit-speakers

Hybels is one of the Emergent Church leaders, FYI.
Report Spam   Logged
Christian40
Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2013, 11:18:08 pm »

"The Bible Series" is due to be on the free tv channels here in Australia soon, one person i know asked me about it and i remembered that it was up there in the US before and i told them that it isn't based on the Bible. If it was the true story they would never put it on tv here.
Report Spam   Logged
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2013, 11:33:35 pm »

"The Bible Series" is due to be on the free tv channels here in Australia soon, one person i know asked me about it and i remembered that it was up there in the US before and i told them that it isn't based on the Bible. If it was the true story they would never put it on tv here.

Here in Dallas, they're currently running a play telling the bible from Genesis to the New Testament - from what I've read, they've made it into a *comedy*.

If that isn't blasphemy, then I don't know what is.
Report Spam   Logged
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2013, 02:15:44 pm »

The world loves its own...

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/bible-earns-three-emmy-nominations-588426
7/18/13
'The Bible' Earns Three Emmy Nominations

The Bible has earned an Emmy nomination for Outstanding Miniseries or Movie, presenters Neil Patrick Harris and Aaron Paul said on Thursday. The ten-part miniseries, a ratings and home video success for the History Channel, was executive produced by Mark Burnett and Roma Downey. It nabbed three nominations in total, adding nods for Sound Editing and Sound Mixing.

more
Report Spam   Logged
PeanutGallery

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2013, 03:45:04 pm »

'The Bible' Earns Three Emmy Nominations
...It nabbed three nominations in total, adding nods for Sound Editing and Sound Mixing.
What; no nominations for reprove, rebuke, correction, instruction in righteousness?
Report Spam   Logged
Kilika
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2013, 02:58:07 am »

Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2013, 03:05:35 am »

What; no nominations for reprove, rebuke, correction, instruction in righteousness?

They should have gotten noms for false Christs, false prophets, false teachers, and lying signs and wonders.
Report Spam   Logged
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2013, 09:35:40 pm »

http://tv.yahoo.com/news/fox-lands-bible-feature-film-cut-mark-burnett-172325575.html
9/12/13
Fox Lands ‘Bible’ Feature Film Cut From Mark Burnett-Roma Downey Miniseries

History’s 10-part miniseries The Bible was a big hit in the spring, averaging 11.4 million total viewers during its five-week run and garnering three Emmy noms, and partnering with 20th Century Fox on the feature film version makes sense. The studio already has a partnership with executive producers Mark Burnett and Roma Downey for worldwide home vid rights, and the parties have been in the planning stages of an international launch around Christmas. 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment released The Bible on home video in April, and it has become the top-selling mini ever across Blu-ray, DVD and DigitalHD after selling 525,000 copies its first week on the street. As for the feature, details on release dates and overseas distribution are still being worked out. Burnett said in June that he had just completed editing the 2 hour and 15 minute feature version of the series focusing on the life of Jesus and was looking for a buyer. “Just on the scripted side, I could spend the next 10 years just distributing the Bible series and the movie”, he said of the project he and wife Downey produced with Hearst Entertainment & Syndication. Burnett and Downey have already sold a sequel to the mini, A.D: Beyond The Bible, to NBC.

Report Spam   Logged
Kilika
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2013, 04:39:38 am »

he said of the project he and wife Downey produced with Hearst Entertainment & Syndication

Really? And I suppose the Rockefellers are providing the financing?  Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: