End Times and Current Events
March 29, 2024, 06:16:38 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: "Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me." John 5:39 (KJB)

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Not Your Average Church

Shoutbox
March 27, 2024, 12:55:24 pm Mark says: Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked  When Hamas spokesman Abu Ubaida began a speech marking the 100th day of the war in Gaza, one confounding yet eye-opening proclamation escaped the headlines. Listing the motives for the Palestinian militant group's Oct. 7 massacre in Israel, he accused Jews of "bringing red cows" to the Holy Land.
December 31, 2022, 10:08:58 am NilsFor1611 says: blessings
August 08, 2018, 02:38:10 am suzytr says: Hello, any good churches in the Sacto, CA area, also looking in Reno NV, thanks in advance and God Bless you Smiley
January 29, 2018, 01:21:57 am Christian40 says: It will be interesting to see what happens this year Israel being 70 years as a modern nation may 14 2018
October 17, 2017, 01:25:20 am Christian40 says: It is good to type Mark is here again!  Smiley
October 16, 2017, 03:28:18 am Christian40 says: anyone else thinking that time is accelerating now? it seems im doing days in shorter time now is time being affected in some way?
September 24, 2017, 10:45:16 pm Psalm 51:17 says: The specific rule pertaining to the national anthem is found on pages A62-63 of the league rulebook. It states: “The National Anthem must be played prior to every NFL game, and all players must be on the sideline for the National Anthem. “During the National Anthem, players on the field and bench area should stand at attention, face the flag, hold helmets in their left hand, and refrain from talking. The home team should ensure that the American flag is in good condition. It should be pointed out to players and coaches that we continue to be judged by the public in this area of respect for the flag and our country. Failure to be on the field by the start of the National Anthem may result in discipline, such as fines, suspensions, and/or the forfeiture of draft choice(s) for violations of the above, including first offenses.”
September 20, 2017, 04:32:32 am Christian40 says: "The most popular Hepatitis B vaccine is nothing short of a witch’s brew including aluminum, formaldehyde, yeast, amino acids, and soy. Aluminum is a known neurotoxin that destroys cellular metabolism and function. Hundreds of studies link to the ravaging effects of aluminum. The other proteins and formaldehyde serve to activate the immune system and open up the blood-brain barrier. This is NOT a good thing."
http://www.naturalnews.com/2017-08-11-new-fda-approved-hepatitis-b-vaccine-found-to-increase-heart-attack-risk-by-700.html
September 19, 2017, 03:59:21 am Christian40 says: bbc international did a video about there street preaching they are good witnesses
September 14, 2017, 08:06:04 am Psalm 51:17 says: bro Mark Hunter on YT has some good, edifying stuff too.
View Shout History
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Not Your Average Church  (Read 4176 times)
Kilika
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2013, 02:27:49 pm »

However, some pastors have expressed great concern and caution over increasing attempts to reinvent church—using carnal methods to attract men

Cheesy Look who's talking!

Believers gathering doesn't have a specific definition of how it's done outside of it simply being people coming together in a group for fellowship. It's not suppose to be a gathering for the sake of ritual and ceremony ("...this is not to eat the Lord's supper"), but believers associating with each other. And it doesn't matter where that happens, be it a private residence, or a bar. The problem with these type groups is that they are just another denomination of churchianity, and they are in fact trying to reinvent "church", in an attempt to get more members that they call "converts", which I call paying customers.
Report Spam   Logged
Christian40
Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2014, 04:13:36 am »

Report Spam   Logged
Psalm 51:17
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2014, 09:50:51 am »

I remember back in the 80's when I was attending a big SBC church as a young boy - that "church" had a lot of these nice-looking shuttle buses. I didn't think much of it then, but over time, I've always wondered how they were able to afford these. It wasn't just one or 2 of them, it was a number of them.

And when I was younger in the late 70's, they would send school buses around neighborhoods in the city on Sundays to pick up kids to go to Sunday School at one of the local "churches". I didn't think much of it then, but over time, it bewildered me how they gave this "ignore the parents" message to children(and it was still during the time when the divorce rates were low, and mothers stayed home full time).

Yeah, fast-forward to our present day, they are really, really targeting the youth all out - pretty much all of these pastors at these megachurches are praised largely for this..."helping the 'troubled' youth".
Report Spam   Logged
Mark
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2014, 03:44:34 pm »

This church holds naked services

If you’re Christian and like going to services but have always been bummed out by the whole clothing-mandatory element of most churches, then you need to learn about this place in Ivor, Virginia. WWBT NBC 12 News is reporting on the White Tail Chapel, a congregation that does their thing in the buff.

So why pray naked? Pastor Allen Parker told WWBT it’s, “about baring his soul to Christ and leading his flock down that path of righteousness, no matter what they’re wearing.” He also told the station, “There's not a feeling that you have to be better than one another, physically. We're humans, we have scars, we have what we have…it's learning to love and accept that."

It seems like there is a devoted group of people who regularly attend, not minding the chilly winter weather. Katie and Robert Church are two of those regulars. Katie emphasized that the church has a strong sense of community. Robert pointed out that by stripping down, people become equal, “There are people that have great means, great wealth, there’s people that don’t. But, you wouldn’t know, and everybody treats everybody, you know, equally. You could really say the naked Churches enjoy this naked church.

The church is located on a nudist resort in Ivor. WWBT mentioned that during the summer, it gets so crowded that services are often standing room only.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/oddnews/this-church-holds-naked-services-221524042.html;_ylt=AwrBEiT0UflSf3cArqLQtDMD

« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 03:49:41 pm by Mark » Report Spam   Logged

What can you do for Jesus?  Learn what 1 person can accomplish.

The Man from George Street
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkjMvPhLrn8
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2014, 04:31:49 pm »

it's learning to love and accept that

Looks like this "let's love others, be in unity, and we can agree and disagree" attitude is showing its really rotten fruits in these Babel church buildings - it's not only this example(posted above, that is), but there's many other examples where they have this attitude, and end up not preaching the word at all.

Not surprised at all that this "church" doing this stuff exists now.
Report Spam   Logged
Mark
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2014, 06:45:27 am »

‘Drive-In’ Church Allows Christians to Worship in an Uncommon Way

A Florida church is taking an uncommon approach to biblical teaching, as parishioners listen to Bible-based messages from the comfort of their vehicles each week rather than entering a physical house of worship.

Members of Daytona Beach Drive In Christian Church in Daytona Beach Shores, Fla., drive to an outdoor location, park facing an altar and tune in to a preset radio station every Sunday to hear their pastor’s message.

Members even participate in communion from the comfort of their cars, listening to directions on their radios about how and when to partake in the “body and blood of Christ.”

The church operates at the site of an old drive-in movie theater.

Some may balk at the uncommon nature of drive-in services. Pastor Bob Kemp-Baird was even initially a bit skeptical when he first arrived at the church, but his views eventually changed, reported NPR.

Some members told the outlet that the Daytona Beach Drive In Christian Church affords them much-needed privacy that they can’t get at other churches.

Consider Shirley Oenbrink, a parishioner who is now in remission after battling stage 4 cancer. As she struggles with recovery, she said she enjoys the privacy of her vehicle, where she can cry without judgement.

“It the time to let the tears flow and you don’t get questioned,” she told NPR. “I don’t like for people to feel sorry for me. And when I cry, my eyes get big, my nose swells up.”

Find out more about the Daytona Beach Drive In Christian Church here.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/03/05/drive-in-church-allows-christians-to-worship-in-an-uncommon-way/
Report Spam   Logged

Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2014, 10:51:42 am »

The church operates at the site of an old drive-in movie theater.

Since the late 90's when mega-movie theaters started getting popular, effectively pushing out all of the ordinary, smaller movie houses, I've always wondered what happened to these drive-in movie theaters. The last one I was aware of, they closed it down shortly after the 21st century.

Well, looks like their properties didn't exactly go away(meaning they didn't turn into parking lots).

Come to think of it, a couple of megachurches I know of in my area started out at meeting at these small movie houses.(where they rented the space)

Some may balk at the uncommon nature of drive-in services. Pastor Bob Kemp-Baird was even initially a bit skeptical when he first arrived at the church, but his views eventually changed, reported NPR.

No surprise - as these church building pastors like this guy have a love for money.
Report Spam   Logged
Mark
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2014, 11:48:36 am »

No surprise - as these church building pastors like this guy have a love for money.

can you expand on that answer a little? I mean isnt his church a little similar to what we do here? I dont go to a building, but listen to sermons and teachings at my own leisure. These people are just a little different, i actually kind of like the idea, except i think they would get even less personal fellowship than we do here. hmmm. 

Report Spam   Logged

Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2014, 11:54:52 am »

can you expand on that answer a little? I mean isnt his church a little similar to what we do here? I dont go to a building, but listen to sermons and teachings at my own leisure. These people are just a little different, i actually kind of like the idea, except i think they would get even less personal fellowship than we do here. hmmm. 

I would think that buying/renting out these pieces of property are NOT cheap(these former drive-in theaters properties, that is) - it's been a long time since I've even seen a drive-in movie theater(I went to one in the Akron/Canton, Ohio area in the 1980's), but nonetheless these properties are pretty big and spacious.

And like I mentioned, I've seen churches rent out movie theaters on Sundays, which isn't exactly all that cheap either. Ultimately, when the price tags are higher, that's when they're forced to compromise more and more.
Report Spam   Logged
Mark
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2014, 12:00:07 pm »

I would think that buying/renting out these pieces of property are NOT cheap(these former drive-in theaters properties, that is) - it's been a long time since I've even seen a drive-in movie theater(I went to one in the Akron/Canton, Ohio area in the 1980's), but nonetheless these properties are pretty big and spacious.

And like I mentioned, I've seen churches rent out movie theaters on Sundays, which isn't exactly all that cheap either. Ultimately, when the price tags are higher, that's when they're forced to compromise more and more.

how did the love of money fit? usually these type of places dont have any money. Not every pastor is in it for the money.

(I went to one in the Akron/Canton, Ohio area in the 1980's)

we used to have quite a few, now there is 1 that i know of still around, and another im not sure of. I remember going to them all the time.
Report Spam   Logged

Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2014, 12:11:19 pm »

how did the love of money fit? usually these type of places dont have any money. Not every pastor is in it for the money.

If these places are good to worship at, then yes, I have no problems with it - but I ended up coming to this conclusion with all of the other heretical stuff going on.

But yeah, if this is bearing good fruit, then I'm pleased this is working out.

we used to have quite a few, now there is 1 that i know of still around, and another im not sure of. I remember going to them all the time.

When I was there in 2002, I remember seeing that same one I think that I went to once in the 80's. I visited Akron/Canton a couple of more times since(my dad's family resides there), the last being 3 years ago.
Report Spam   Logged
Kilika
« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2014, 01:01:09 pm »

If I may...

Don't forget, "the love of money is the root of all evil". It's always because of that when there is evil.

True, not all are openly motivated by money, but the evil is not limited to cash money. It's about the love of increase, a lack of contentment in what God has provided. Churchianity pastors choose the profession for an income, as they use the excuse, "To provide for my house and family". Did God say that He would provide for His own IF they ran a church building? Nope. God DOES SAY, "Having food and raiment let us therewith be content". Jesus says to preach the gospel. While the body is exhorted to not forsake the gathering together of believers, it never once says for men to take on the position and title of a preacher, "for filthy lucre".

The body of believers is suppose to provide material support to those in the ministry full time, but never does it say there is to be a salary, car allowances, travel expenses, etc. Even Jesus says that "they say and do not". So clearly, churchianity pastors are wrong, thus spreading lies, based on a lack of faith, which ultimately is the love of money.

If your not teaching or acting according to sound doctrine, is that not evil? And is not all evil born of the love of money? I say yes on both accounts.
Report Spam   Logged
Boldhunter

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2015, 02:12:03 pm »

This "church" uses the name of Jesus and is deceiving THOUSANDS of TEENS and COLLEGE STUDENTS who think they are walking with our Lord. Please pray for them...

Wikipedia: Mosaic Church in Hollywood

Excerpt:
Transitional years
In October 1991, Erwin McManus was first introduced to The Church on Brady as the keynote speaker at Brady’s Spare Not Conference on World Evangelism. He was then invited to move to The Church on Brady and Los Angeles to transition into the role of Senior Pastor.

Early in 1994, McManus officially became Senior Pastor. Wolf then moved into the role of "Teaching Pastor" and simultaneously accepted a teaching position at Golden Gate Seminary in San Francisco.

Born in El Salvador, McManus had moved at an early age[citation needed] to the United States with his family. He brought 15 years experience as urban church planter[citation needed], evangelist, and speaker.

McManus built on the foundation set at Brady. Multi-media was the new tool in churches at the time. McManus encouraged use of these new tools making greater use of art and dance as weekly components of worship. Regular night-time services became part of the landscape.

A new name was sought with "Mosaic" being the accepted choice.[3] It was at this time that the Sunday night service was moved to the Club Soho, a nightclub in downtown L.A. (relocating several years later to the Mayan Theatre in downtown L.A.). Mosaic became a single church with multiple sites. In 2003 the property on Brady street was sold making Mosaic independent of land ownership.

§Mosaic today[edit]
Mosaic has been mentioned as one the "top 50 most influential churches in the nation"[4] and has approximately 60 nationalities in attendance.[5] In January 2012,[6] Mosaic started holding its worship services in Hollywood.[7] Associated Press called Mosaic a "hipster megachurch", describing it as a "congregation full of hip twenty-somethings who mostly work in the film industry... (more)

Report Spam   Logged
Mark
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2015, 06:27:06 am »

Ohio Pastor Rides Bulls Inside His Church to Attract New Believers

In front of a packed church, Pastor Lawrence Bishop II, climbed up on the back of a snorting, anxious bull named Bonecrusher. The animal was let loose, and Bishop hung on tight as he was bucked around the ring he built inside his Ohio church. He lasted about three seconds before being thrown off and trampled.

Battered and bruised, the 48-year-old preacher then picked himself up, climbed to safety and began his sermon. When he asked new believers to come forward to be baptized, the response was huge and about 300 people stepped up.

This was just a Wednesday night service at the Solid Rock Church in Monroe, Ohio.

Bishop's church is easy to spot. It's the one with the 52-foot statue of Jesus facing I-75, nicknamed "Hug Me Jesus," because of his open arms.

Embracing new believers is why the ministry decided to bring bull riding inside the church's walls.

"You know, the Bible said to compel them to come in, and so that's what we're doing," Bishop told "Nightline." "It didn't say how to compel them. It just said compel them to come in, so ... this is a tool."

The battle to save souls is fiercely competitive. A recent Pew survey on religion found that roughly 23 percent of the U.S. population is unaffiliated with any organized religion, and people who identity as Christian within the religious population fell from 78.4 percent to 70.6 percent from 2007 to 2014.

So, some preachers across the country are trying to find new ways to attract more to their flock. Some use mixed martial arts, hip-hop and Christian rock bands.

But Solid Rock Church has been breaking the mold for 40 years.

"The Bible says to be, 'Wise as a serpent and harmless as a dove,'" Bishop said. "It also said, 'He that winneth souls is wise.' So these bulls are going to attract people that otherwise would never set foot in a church house."

Bishop's late father, Lawrence Bishop, Sr., founded the church with his wife, Darlene, decades ago. The couple were horse people before that, their LB Ranch is one of the country's foremost breeders of American quarter horses. The church came later.

"Solid Rock is fun," Darlene Bishop said. "It's not like going some place and you dread doing it, and you think, 'Well, it's over for the week now. I have to wait 'till next Sunday.' People love to come to church. It's an exciting place."

Darlene Bishop was also one of the stars of the Christian TV show, "Sisters," a sort of Born Again version of "The View." She lives in the lavish ranch house she built with her late husband overlooking the horse farm.

"I don't know if many churches have a cowboy for a preacher, but it sure makes it exciting because there was never a dull moment with my husband or my son that has taken his place," she said. "We call our church an extreme church because we don't do anything just normal. My husband used to say the seven last words of a dying church is 'never seen it done this way before,' and so that's what we're known for is doing things to extreme."

Before he took over the church for his father, Lawrence the second was a professional bull rider, and it was his idea to pull the bull-riding ring inside the church. But even his own mother said she "thought he was crazy" when he first suggested it.

"I don't have very many talents other than riding stuff that bucks or play[ing] music," Lawrence Bishop said. "So I've used both to spread the gospel to ... try to bring people to Jesus."

rest of this circus : http://abcnews.go.com/US/ohio-pastor-rides-bulls-inside-church-attract-believers/story?id=31156025
Report Spam   Logged

Mark
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2024, 05:20:09 am »

Report Spam   Logged

Mark
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2024, 02:58:28 pm »

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: