End Times and Current Events
March 29, 2024, 01:49:26 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: "Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me." John 5:39 (KJB)

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

The Video Game Thread

Shoutbox
March 27, 2024, 12:55:24 pm Mark says: Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked  When Hamas spokesman Abu Ubaida began a speech marking the 100th day of the war in Gaza, one confounding yet eye-opening proclamation escaped the headlines. Listing the motives for the Palestinian militant group's Oct. 7 massacre in Israel, he accused Jews of "bringing red cows" to the Holy Land.
December 31, 2022, 10:08:58 am NilsFor1611 says: blessings
August 08, 2018, 02:38:10 am suzytr says: Hello, any good churches in the Sacto, CA area, also looking in Reno NV, thanks in advance and God Bless you Smiley
January 29, 2018, 01:21:57 am Christian40 says: It will be interesting to see what happens this year Israel being 70 years as a modern nation may 14 2018
October 17, 2017, 01:25:20 am Christian40 says: It is good to type Mark is here again!  Smiley
October 16, 2017, 03:28:18 am Christian40 says: anyone else thinking that time is accelerating now? it seems im doing days in shorter time now is time being affected in some way?
September 24, 2017, 10:45:16 pm Psalm 51:17 says: The specific rule pertaining to the national anthem is found on pages A62-63 of the league rulebook. It states: “The National Anthem must be played prior to every NFL game, and all players must be on the sideline for the National Anthem. “During the National Anthem, players on the field and bench area should stand at attention, face the flag, hold helmets in their left hand, and refrain from talking. The home team should ensure that the American flag is in good condition. It should be pointed out to players and coaches that we continue to be judged by the public in this area of respect for the flag and our country. Failure to be on the field by the start of the National Anthem may result in discipline, such as fines, suspensions, and/or the forfeiture of draft choice(s) for violations of the above, including first offenses.”
September 20, 2017, 04:32:32 am Christian40 says: "The most popular Hepatitis B vaccine is nothing short of a witch’s brew including aluminum, formaldehyde, yeast, amino acids, and soy. Aluminum is a known neurotoxin that destroys cellular metabolism and function. Hundreds of studies link to the ravaging effects of aluminum. The other proteins and formaldehyde serve to activate the immune system and open up the blood-brain barrier. This is NOT a good thing."
http://www.naturalnews.com/2017-08-11-new-fda-approved-hepatitis-b-vaccine-found-to-increase-heart-attack-risk-by-700.html
September 19, 2017, 03:59:21 am Christian40 says: bbc international did a video about there street preaching they are good witnesses
September 14, 2017, 08:06:04 am Psalm 51:17 says: bro Mark Hunter on YT has some good, edifying stuff too.
View Shout History
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Video Game Thread  (Read 715 times)
Phord

View Profile
« on: March 03, 2013, 09:22:56 pm »

I am making this thread for discussions about video games, their past present, and future and the systems they are played on, as well as anyone who wants to share their experiences with them, and the bad fruit of them, or anyway computers may have helped them.

I will first say growing up I was raised pretty much on computers and video games living with my dad at the time. While we might have been poor in most other respects, computers were are one nice thing we had.

I remember playing games (wicked) such as Diablo (The first one) Doom and Doom 2, Quake 1-3 because for us quake three was a big deal when it came out. We started playing that game like crazy at the time.

I remember you could barely run it unless you had the "Voodoo 500" which was like one of the best video cards at the time. I also played Duke Nukem 3D the oringial one from the 90s which we also played quite a bit (albeit very trashy game)

I remember playing Warcraft 2 though I never really got into the first starcraft.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Phord

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013, 09:29:35 pm »

Among others were the first half-life along with Unreal. Looking back I realize these games produced a lot of rotten fruit in my life, and really are for the most part very wicked.

It does amaze me though where graphics and the style of games, along with the cultural background that goes with them.

I remember playing Doom 3 when it came out, albeit almost ten year old game now  lol, but very Hellish and nightmarish game. nothing but death and evil in it.

Also Fear (cant remember if it was 1st or 2nd) was another. These are just some of the pc games I played.
Report Spam   Logged
Phord

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2013, 09:41:38 pm »

I also liked this one RTS (Real Time Strategey) game called rise of nations alot. Played it quite abit, than I also played Command and Conquer Zero hour which was another popular game as well, I know my cousin played Rome total war  a lot, and also he played FPS joint OPS as well. I can remember call of duty black hawk down which was released around time of Iraq war. it amazes me how time flies by. Another game from 90s was the boulder gate series.

I remember playing that with my dad. Looking back I realize how many of these games had witchcraft in them, or were innfluenced with witchcraft.

my dad was also a programmer and taught himself how to program, didnt you say you went to school for programming Kilika? I think from what I gather from some of your posts I have seen you have experience with this stuff, and video games and arent new to them.
Report Spam   Logged
Christian40

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2013, 10:14:56 pm »

Yeah i had a real addiction to video games once to the point that i considered that the reality in the video game was better than the reality when i wasn't playing them. And i ended up spending i dont know how much money. i was too involved with them, God had to break me away from them and i tell you it was a struggle since i enjoyed playing them. Well now thanks be to God i dont want to play video games, i remember i used to feel bad on the inside after playing violent video games. Just like this is a bad game but i will keep coming back to see if i can get anything from it. Your right Phord that there is a whole witchcraft/sorcery side of video games too, the reason why video games make more money than movies these days because most people keep going back to the games.

However i will say that if there are games that are educational i dont have a problem with them, if there are any Christian games that promote the learning of the Bible that is fine though i've turned to better things and am enjoying life game free.
Report Spam   Logged
Psalm 51:17
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2013, 10:33:00 pm »

I agree, video games are not only very unedifying for the believer in Christ, but very addictive to everyone(both believers and unbelievers alike). Also, I believe too that they're playing their part in leading into the strong end times delusions.

When I grew up as a boy in the 80's, the Atari(and arcade games) were THE hottest trend. However, they were rather basic in nature. Yes, they were very addictive, as I would go up to hours on end playing them on either any given summer day or a school weekend day. HOWEVER, the Atari was so basic, that after so many hours of playing it, I would just get SICK. The rinse and repeat factor(going through the whole play for hours, skip it for several more hours, and back again) was there, but ultimately it wore on me after a couple of years. The arcade games were rather fun too, but again you could only take so much of it(asteroid and donkey kong were entertaining, but again it's not something you can play for hours on end).

I became a sports fan in 1985, but it wasn't until 1996 when I started playing those Madden NFL games - when I started with this, again, it was rather BASIC...the screen game looked nothing more than chess pieces on a board, and the choice of offensive/defensive play calling was rather simple(ie-if you choose to run the football on every down, then the game was programmed to get more chunks of running yards as defenses wore down. And on defense, you can choose a certain player to blitz on every down, and ultimately get him to lead the league in sacks, even if it was a cornerback).

However, it started to take a big turn around the turn of the century(2000) when games started getting that REALITY look. The Madden NFL games slowly but surely started having that real-time look while the SPEED of the game started to quicken. I was just about to buy one of these game sets around this time b/c it looked so attractive, but something ended up prevented me from buying it. I wasn't saved then, but nonetheless by the grace of God it didn't happen.

But yeah, this seems to be this part of the "advanced technology" that seems to be rolling out - the video games with that REALITY look and SPEED ultimately gets the player to feel like he or she is living IN it. From what I've read in recent years, the average player just can't take their eyes and hands off of these games b/c of this WITHOUT feeling ill. Like said above, with the old games, it came to a point where I had no choice but to stop, and then eventually grew out of it. If I was playing these Madden games now, I'll bet you that I would be sitting in front of it for many hours, and end up thinking about it when I'm not in front of it.

Come to think of it, when there was a reality-looking Madden arcade game in the bar next door to my house in New Orleans, I felt like doing just that, except my budget was limited(b/c obviously it costed money each time). And then I ended up stopping b/c my mom gave me a stern warning over how my late grandfather had a horrible gambling addiction, and ended up blowing alot of his family's money.

Ultimately, no I'm not shocked per se that technology with video games have come this far, but nonetheless b/c we're potentially living in the last days, I'm somewhat marveling at this b/c not only of the advanced technology coming into play, but it's being used as a mind controlled weapon on the masses.
Report Spam   Logged
Kilika
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 03:45:51 am »

didnt you say you went to school for programming Kilika?

No, not exactly. I was trained to make video games. My BA is in Multimedia/Digital Animation. I was a 3d modeler and texture artist in video game production. Programming wasn't my thing. Bad math skills! Best I could do was XHTML and CSS. The applications I used were Maya, 3ds Max, Photoshop, etc.

Back in the Navy in 1981 I took a couple programming classes for understanding the hardware I was trained to work on (computer main frames and flight simulators), but the gaming didn't come till much later on in life.

My game genre was FPS games because of my time in the military. Tried the RPG and RTS games, but not much interest in them. Too slow. I wanted fast action. Mostly played the Battlefield series (even ran a team that played matches against other "clans"), but I've played most of the popular FPS games, from Counter Strike series, HALO, Half-Life, to FEAR. I made a couple of custom mods for Battlefield 2, and would have for 3 but they changed business model and stopped offering a map editor. That move by DICE and EA sent a lot of players to other games like Far Cry/Crisis series that you can still make custom player made maps like with the Unreal series. For what it's worth, I learned A LOT about gaming and the making of games. Even served 2 years as a floor supervisor at the Game Developers Conference.

The changes that were taking place in gaming and the move to cloud gaming got me ticked off and rethinking my career choice. At the time, I wasn't exactly diligent in my faith, sidetracked for a time "in the city", but God was still there, showing me things, and He showed me gaming wasn't where to be, nor could I justify playing war games that involved killing humans. Just cannot justify it, so God pulled me out of that stuff and back to the ministry where we all belong.

Gaming is just a distraction, no more or less evil than any other worldly thing. Just not edifying or expedient. So this thread could be summed up real quick. Simply avoid anything that causes you to put it before God.

"[It is] good neither to eat flesh, nor to drink wine, nor [any thing] whereby thy brother stumbleth, or is offended, or is made weak." Romans 14:21 (KJB)
Report Spam   Logged
Christian40

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 03:52:15 am »

As this discussion is pretty good, does anyone here want to send their video game testimonies to Dr Johnson?
Report Spam   Logged
Kilika
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2013, 03:56:28 am »

Huh
Report Spam   Logged
Christian40

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2013, 04:42:08 am »

Dr Johnson has admitted that he isn't an expert on video games, from reading the above posts, i think they could help other Christians
Report Spam   Logged
Kilika
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2013, 05:01:57 pm »

Have Scott send them here then. I'd be glad to talk with them, God willing.
Report Spam   Logged
Christian40

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2013, 07:58:46 pm »

Yes you are the expert
Report Spam   Logged
NilsFor1611

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2022, 10:36:37 am »

Something I wish not to think about. Only recently I have stopped playing, it is like when you stop smoking. As a whole, video games are not per se the worst thing to exist, in comparison to, let's say, alcohol, but they certainly do take away our time. I would not judge someone for disagreement, nor would have a problem with a Christian family playing Mario Kart, but for me this is a tough topic. I was close to developing a mental illness. It is not a joke.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2022, 10:57:27 am by NilsFor1611 » Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: