End Times and Current Events
April 19, 2024, 03:39:04 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: "Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me." John 5:39 (KJB)

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Don’t Be Fooled by the Dow’s Recent Record-Highs

Shoutbox
March 27, 2024, 12:55:24 pm Mark says: Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked  When Hamas spokesman Abu Ubaida began a speech marking the 100th day of the war in Gaza, one confounding yet eye-opening proclamation escaped the headlines. Listing the motives for the Palestinian militant group's Oct. 7 massacre in Israel, he accused Jews of "bringing red cows" to the Holy Land.
December 31, 2022, 10:08:58 am NilsFor1611 says: blessings
August 08, 2018, 02:38:10 am suzytr says: Hello, any good churches in the Sacto, CA area, also looking in Reno NV, thanks in advance and God Bless you Smiley
January 29, 2018, 01:21:57 am Christian40 says: It will be interesting to see what happens this year Israel being 70 years as a modern nation may 14 2018
October 17, 2017, 01:25:20 am Christian40 says: It is good to type Mark is here again!  Smiley
October 16, 2017, 03:28:18 am Christian40 says: anyone else thinking that time is accelerating now? it seems im doing days in shorter time now is time being affected in some way?
September 24, 2017, 10:45:16 pm Psalm 51:17 says: The specific rule pertaining to the national anthem is found on pages A62-63 of the league rulebook. It states: “The National Anthem must be played prior to every NFL game, and all players must be on the sideline for the National Anthem. “During the National Anthem, players on the field and bench area should stand at attention, face the flag, hold helmets in their left hand, and refrain from talking. The home team should ensure that the American flag is in good condition. It should be pointed out to players and coaches that we continue to be judged by the public in this area of respect for the flag and our country. Failure to be on the field by the start of the National Anthem may result in discipline, such as fines, suspensions, and/or the forfeiture of draft choice(s) for violations of the above, including first offenses.”
September 20, 2017, 04:32:32 am Christian40 says: "The most popular Hepatitis B vaccine is nothing short of a witch’s brew including aluminum, formaldehyde, yeast, amino acids, and soy. Aluminum is a known neurotoxin that destroys cellular metabolism and function. Hundreds of studies link to the ravaging effects of aluminum. The other proteins and formaldehyde serve to activate the immune system and open up the blood-brain barrier. This is NOT a good thing."
http://www.naturalnews.com/2017-08-11-new-fda-approved-hepatitis-b-vaccine-found-to-increase-heart-attack-risk-by-700.html
September 19, 2017, 03:59:21 am Christian40 says: bbc international did a video about there street preaching they are good witnesses
September 14, 2017, 08:06:04 am Psalm 51:17 says: bro Mark Hunter on YT has some good, edifying stuff too.
View Shout History
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Don’t Be Fooled by the Dow’s Recent Record-Highs  (Read 129 times)
Psalm 51:17
Global Moderator

View Profile
« on: March 13, 2013, 08:33:33 pm »

http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/advisor/don-t-fooled-dow-recent-record-highs-132700183.html
3/13/13
Don’t Be Fooled by the Dow’s Recent Record-Highs

I will be first to say that this is a difficult market to play, and it’s certainly full of stock market risk. On one hand, the Dow Jones Industrial Average eclipsed a new record last week when the blue chips index surged to an all-time new record high of 14,413, easily blowing away the previous mark of 14,164 achieved on October 9, 2007. But my trading sense is telling me that we may be close to a near-term top.

I’m not trying to scare you, but do you really think the Dow can advance 42% this year? I doubt it, unless you believe the Dow will reach 18,607 by the year’s end. This figure is based on an annualized return of 9.9% year-to-date. This alone indicates stock market risk.

In my view, the rally in the Dow has been overdone. After trading just above 8,000 a few years back prior to the most recent bull wave that resulted in the current record high, this only adds to the stock market risk.

While I like records, I wonder if the Dow deserves this one. While the big U.S. companies are faring better, the growth is nowhere close to what we saw prior to the Great Recession in 2008.

The reality is that the pumped-up stock market may have more to do with the excess liquidity that is being pumped into the monetary system by the Federal Reserve and central banks around the globe—which adds to the stock market risk. The low interest rates translate into low-yielding bonds, unless you’re willing to take the risk to invest in Spain, Italy, Portugal, and Greece. This is the interest rate dilemma and a major reason why stocks, especially the dividend-paying Dow stocks, are faring so well; but it’s also the reason for all of this stock market risk. What happens when interest rates begin to creep higher?

The high interest rates will wreak havoc on the average American who is carrying significant debt and is just managing to make the minimum payments due each month.

And then there are the $1.2-trillion sequestration budgetary cuts and the automatic $85.0 billion in annual budget cuts, which will have a widespread negative impact on the economy and will add to the stock market risk. But let’s be honest; the country’s money printing presses must stop, and America must deal with its own austerity measures now, or we will end up leaving this burden to our future generations.

Now, we still haven’t even considered what would happen to the stock market risk if the eurozone recession worsens or if China cannot pull out of its stalled gross domestic product (GDP) growth. I sense the market is underestimating the major debt and growth situation in Italy and the muted growth in Germany and France. (Read “Why Eurozone’s Problems Are Headed for America.”)

And then there’s also news that consumer inflation in China has risen to 3.2%, beating the three percent estimate. The problem in China is that the new government’s strategy to drive consumer spending to spur economic growth will add to the inflationary pressures and overall stock market risk.

So you can see that everything isn’t so rosy, and this is why I don’t feel the stocks are deserving of their multi-year highs. It’s currently a speculator’s market, full of stock market risk; so you better be careful and not chase stocks higher. Instead, use put options as a hedge against a possible sell-off.

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: