End Times and Current Events
March 29, 2024, 06:33:02 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome To End Times and Current Events.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Strange Sleep Disorder Makes People See 'Demons'

Shoutbox
March 27, 2024, 12:55:24 pm Mark says: Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked  When Hamas spokesman Abu Ubaida began a speech marking the 100th day of the war in Gaza, one confounding yet eye-opening proclamation escaped the headlines. Listing the motives for the Palestinian militant group's Oct. 7 massacre in Israel, he accused Jews of "bringing red cows" to the Holy Land.
December 31, 2022, 10:08:58 am NilsFor1611 says: blessings
August 08, 2018, 02:38:10 am suzytr says: Hello, any good churches in the Sacto, CA area, also looking in Reno NV, thanks in advance and God Bless you Smiley
January 29, 2018, 01:21:57 am Christian40 says: It will be interesting to see what happens this year Israel being 70 years as a modern nation may 14 2018
October 17, 2017, 01:25:20 am Christian40 says: It is good to type Mark is here again!  Smiley
October 16, 2017, 03:28:18 am Christian40 says: anyone else thinking that time is accelerating now? it seems im doing days in shorter time now is time being affected in some way?
September 24, 2017, 10:45:16 pm Psalm 51:17 says: The specific rule pertaining to the national anthem is found on pages A62-63 of the league rulebook. It states: “The National Anthem must be played prior to every NFL game, and all players must be on the sideline for the National Anthem. “During the National Anthem, players on the field and bench area should stand at attention, face the flag, hold helmets in their left hand, and refrain from talking. The home team should ensure that the American flag is in good condition. It should be pointed out to players and coaches that we continue to be judged by the public in this area of respect for the flag and our country. Failure to be on the field by the start of the National Anthem may result in discipline, such as fines, suspensions, and/or the forfeiture of draft choice(s) for violations of the above, including first offenses.”
September 20, 2017, 04:32:32 am Christian40 says: "The most popular Hepatitis B vaccine is nothing short of a witch’s brew including aluminum, formaldehyde, yeast, amino acids, and soy. Aluminum is a known neurotoxin that destroys cellular metabolism and function. Hundreds of studies link to the ravaging effects of aluminum. The other proteins and formaldehyde serve to activate the immune system and open up the blood-brain barrier. This is NOT a good thing."
http://www.naturalnews.com/2017-08-11-new-fda-approved-hepatitis-b-vaccine-found-to-increase-heart-attack-risk-by-700.html
September 19, 2017, 03:59:21 am Christian40 says: bbc international did a video about there street preaching they are good witnesses
September 14, 2017, 08:06:04 am Psalm 51:17 says: bro Mark Hunter on YT has some good, edifying stuff too.
View Shout History
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Strange Sleep Disorder Makes People See 'Demons'  (Read 433 times)
Psalm 51:17
Global Moderator

View Profile
« on: April 01, 2013, 09:10:13 pm »

http://news.yahoo.com/strange-sleep-disorder-makes-people-see-demons-152946861.html
4/1/13
Strange Sleep Disorder Makes People See 'Demons'

When filmmaker Carla MacKinnon started waking up several times a week unable to move, with the sense that a disturbing presence was in the room with her, she didn't call up her local ghost hunter. She got researching.

Now, that research is becoming a short film and multiplatform art project exploring the strange and spooky phenomenon of sleep paralysis. The film, supported by the Wellcome Trust and set to screen at the Royal College of Arts in London, will debut in May.

Sleep paralysis happens when people become conscious while their muscles remain in the ultra-relaxed state that prevents them from acting out their dreams. The experience can be quite terrifying, with many people hallucinating a malevolent presence nearby, or even an attacker suffocating them. Surveys put the number of sleep paralysis sufferers between about 5 percent and 60 percent of the population.

"I was getting quite a lot of sleep paralysis over the summer, quite frequently, and I became quite interested in what was happening, what medically or scientifically, it was all about," MacKinnon said. [Top 10 Spooky Sleep Disorders]

Her questions led her to talk with psychologists and scientists, as well as to people who experience the phenomenon. Myths and legends about sleep paralysis persist all over the globe, from the incubus and succubus (male and female demons, respectively) of European tales to a pink dolphin-turned-nighttime seducer in Brazil. Some of the stories MacKinnon uncovered reveal why these myths are so chilling.

Sleep stories

One man told her about his frequent sleep paralysis episodes, during which he'd experience extremely realistic hallucinations of a young child, skipping around the bed and singing nursery rhymes. Sometimes, the child would sit on his pillow and talk to him. One night, the tot asked the man a personal question. When he refused to answer, the child transformed into a "horrendous demon," MacKinnon said.

For another man, who had the sleep disorder narcolepsy (which can make sleep paralysis more common), his dream world clashed with the real world in a horrifying way. His sleep paralysis episodes typically included hallucinations that someone else was in his house or his room — he'd hear voices or banging around. One night, he awoke in a paralyzed state and saw a figure in his room as usual. [See MacKinnon's Artistic Images of Sleep Paralysis]

"He suddenly realizes something is different," MacKinnon said. "He suddenly realizes that he is in sleep paralysis, and his eyes are open, but the person who is in the room is in his room in real life."

The figure was no dream demon, but an actual burglar.

Myths and science of sleep paralysis

Sleep paralysis experiences are almost certainly behind the myths of the incubus and succubus, demons thought have sex with unsuspecting humans in their sleep. In many cases, MacKinnon said, the science of sleep paralysis explains these myths. The feeling of suffocating or someone pushing down on the chest that often occurs during sleep paralysis may be a result of the automatic breathing pattern people fall into during sleep. When they become conscious while still in this breathing pattern, people may try to bring their breathing under voluntary control, leading to the feeling of suffocating.

Add to that the hallucinations that seem to seep in from the dream world, and it's no surprise that interpretations lend themselves to demons, ghosts or even alien abduction, MacKinnon said.

What's more, MacKinnon said, sleep paralysis is more likely when your sleep is disrupted in some way — perhaps because you've been traveling, you're too hot or too cold, or you're sleeping in an unfamiliar or spooky place. Those tendencies may make it more likely that a person will experience sleep paralysis when already vulnerable to thoughts of ghosts and ghouls.

"It's interesting seeing how these scientific narratives and the more psychoanalytical or psychological narratives can support each other rather than conflict," MacKinnon said.

Since working on the project, MacKinnon has been able to bring her own sleep paralysis episodes under control — or at least learned to calm herself during them. The trick, she said, is to use episodes like a form of research, by paying attention to details like how her hands feel and what position she's in. This sort of mindfulness tends to make scary hallucinations blink away, she said.

"Rationalizing it is incredibly counterintuitive," she said. "It took me a really long time to stop believing that it was real, because it feels so incredibly real."
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Mark
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 06:35:27 am »

"It took me a really long time to stop believing that it was real, because it feels so incredibly real."

it is real, and i bet if you look into this ladies back ground you will find some occult connection's.
Report Spam   Logged

What can you do for Jesus?  Learn what 1 person can accomplish.

The Man from George Street
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkjMvPhLrn8
McChristian
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2013, 09:57:55 pm »

This stuff does happen--granted I don't remember seeing demons, but I did have several occasions (all of which happen when I wasn't saved) where I woke up and felt paralyzed and thought I was going to die. Luckily I didn't and now that I am saved, I haven't had any of these type of events happen to me anymore.
Report Spam   Logged
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2013, 10:16:06 pm »

This stuff does happen--granted I don't remember seeing demons, but I did have several occasions (all of which happen when I wasn't saved) where I woke up and felt paralyzed and thought I was going to die. Luckily I didn't and now that I am saved, I haven't had any of these type of events happen to me anymore.

There was also those "Nightmare on Elm Street" movies - many years ago I had a long conversation with a guy who was majoring in filmmaking in college, and his favorites were horror movies. He told me stories how the things we would see in these types of movies have actually happened to people in real life. In the case of the NOES movies, there's been people who got killed in their dreams and ended up dying.

I wasn't saved then, and pretty much neither was he, but nonetheless it caught my attention over some of the things he was saying concerning how the things we saw in these movies actually happened to people in real life.

But I guess none of this comes as a surprise, as Hollywood is tied with the demonic occult, and the lost world will engage in this type of stuff.

Report Spam   Logged
McChristian
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2013, 10:18:04 pm »

There was also those "Nightmare on Elm Street" movies - many years ago I had a long conversation with a guy who was majoring in filmmaking in college, and his favorites were horror movies. He told me stories how the things we would see in these types of movies have actually happened to people in real life. In the case of the NOES movies, there's been people who got killed in their dreams and ended up dying.

I heard about the real life background of that movie franchise.
Disturbing stuff.
Report Spam   Logged
tennis shoe

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2013, 11:53:02 pm »

What psychiatry has labeled “sleep paralysis” is very common. A lot of people just don’t talk about it when it happens to them. It’s also a very old phenomenon. I think people had better insight as to the cause in the past.

What’s not exactly depicted is that something is influencing that person’s central nervous system in order to induce an unnatural state – the mind is awake, yet the body is asleep. And so the stage is set for the torment show.
Report Spam   Logged
tennis shoe

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2013, 12:18:14 am »

The basis for the original Nightmare on Elm Street has been said to have been inspired by several newspaper articles printed in the LA Times in the 1970s on a group of Khmer refugees, who, after fleeing to America from the Khmer Rouge Genocide in Cambodia, were suffering disturbing nightmares after which they refused to sleep. Some of the men died in their sleep soon after. Medical authorities called the phenomenon "Asian Death Syndrome". The condition itself afflicted only men between the ages of 19-57 and is believed to be sudden unexplained death syndrome and/or Brugada syndrome.[13] The 1970s pop song "Dream Weaver" by Gary Wright sealed the story for Craven, giving him not only an artistic setting to "jump off" from, but a synthesizer riff from the Elm Street soundtrack as well.[14] It has also been stated that he drew some inspiration after studying eastern religions.[15] –wiki

Khmer people (/ˈkmɛər/ or /kəˈmɛər/; Khmer: ខ្មែរ) are the predominant ethnic group in Cambodia, accounting for approximately 90% of the 15.2 million[2] people in the country. They speak the Khmer language, which is part of the larger Mon–Khmer language family found throughout Southeast Asia. The majority of the Khmer are followers of the Khmer style of Buddhism, a highly syncretic version which blends elements of Theravada Buddhism, Hinduism, animism and ancestor-spirit worship.[8] - wiki again
Report Spam   Logged
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2013, 09:36:02 am »

Interesting...yeah, Hollywood puts a lot of gnostic and eastern religion beliefs in their movies, from what I understand.
Report Spam   Logged
McChristian
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2013, 11:08:42 am »

Like I said in another thread I questioned my faith last night and walked away. The enemy will never stop; however, this morning I had one of these happen to me once again, but on a smaller scale. I do remember having a dream last November though of a Demon in my room and it being mad because I had my Bible (King James) with me.
Report Spam   Logged
tennis shoe

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2013, 11:44:23 am »

The enemy will never stop;

James 4:7 Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.

It stops when the tactic is no longer effective or tempting.
Report Spam   Logged
McChristian
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2013, 11:44:53 am »

I stand corrected.  Wink
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: