End Times and Current Events
April 20, 2024, 03:47:05 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: "Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me." John 5:39 (KJB)

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Student Receives Standing Ovation for Defying Attempts to Stop Graduation Prayer

Shoutbox
March 27, 2024, 12:55:24 pm Mark says: Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked  When Hamas spokesman Abu Ubaida began a speech marking the 100th day of the war in Gaza, one confounding yet eye-opening proclamation escaped the headlines. Listing the motives for the Palestinian militant group's Oct. 7 massacre in Israel, he accused Jews of "bringing red cows" to the Holy Land.
December 31, 2022, 10:08:58 am NilsFor1611 says: blessings
August 08, 2018, 02:38:10 am suzytr says: Hello, any good churches in the Sacto, CA area, also looking in Reno NV, thanks in advance and God Bless you Smiley
January 29, 2018, 01:21:57 am Christian40 says: It will be interesting to see what happens this year Israel being 70 years as a modern nation may 14 2018
October 17, 2017, 01:25:20 am Christian40 says: It is good to type Mark is here again!  Smiley
October 16, 2017, 03:28:18 am Christian40 says: anyone else thinking that time is accelerating now? it seems im doing days in shorter time now is time being affected in some way?
September 24, 2017, 10:45:16 pm Psalm 51:17 says: The specific rule pertaining to the national anthem is found on pages A62-63 of the league rulebook. It states: “The National Anthem must be played prior to every NFL game, and all players must be on the sideline for the National Anthem. “During the National Anthem, players on the field and bench area should stand at attention, face the flag, hold helmets in their left hand, and refrain from talking. The home team should ensure that the American flag is in good condition. It should be pointed out to players and coaches that we continue to be judged by the public in this area of respect for the flag and our country. Failure to be on the field by the start of the National Anthem may result in discipline, such as fines, suspensions, and/or the forfeiture of draft choice(s) for violations of the above, including first offenses.”
September 20, 2017, 04:32:32 am Christian40 says: "The most popular Hepatitis B vaccine is nothing short of a witch’s brew including aluminum, formaldehyde, yeast, amino acids, and soy. Aluminum is a known neurotoxin that destroys cellular metabolism and function. Hundreds of studies link to the ravaging effects of aluminum. The other proteins and formaldehyde serve to activate the immune system and open up the blood-brain barrier. This is NOT a good thing."
http://www.naturalnews.com/2017-08-11-new-fda-approved-hepatitis-b-vaccine-found-to-increase-heart-attack-risk-by-700.html
September 19, 2017, 03:59:21 am Christian40 says: bbc international did a video about there street preaching they are good witnesses
September 14, 2017, 08:06:04 am Psalm 51:17 says: bro Mark Hunter on YT has some good, edifying stuff too.
View Shout History
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Student Receives Standing Ovation for Defying Attempts to Stop Graduation Prayer  (Read 269 times)
Mark
Administrator

View Profile
« on: May 29, 2013, 07:54:29 am »

Student Receives Standing Ovation for Defying Attempts to Stop Graduation Prayer

A high school student in Kentucky received a standing ovation during his graduation ceremony on Friday after he led attendees in prayer despite complaints from students who had sought to thwart the invocation.

Class President Jonathan Hardwick was also echoed in an “amen” after he acknowledged God from the platform.

“Thank you for helping us get here safely today, Lord,” he prayed. “And thank you for the many blessings You have given us.”

At first, the room filled with claps and cheers for Hardwick, but several seconds later, graduation attendees rose to their feet.

Prayer has been a tradition at Lincoln County High School, but this year, six students approached Principal Tim Godbey and asked him to put an end to the practice.

“This is a place for school. not a church. I feel like I’m graduating from Lincoln County High, not Lincoln County church,” student Bradley Chester, an atheist, told WKYT-TV. “I feel like you shouldn’t force your religion upon anybody. And a lot of people are saying if there are prayers at graduation, you don’t have to participate, you can sit there and not listen, close your ears. Well, one, it’s my graduation. I shouldn’t have to close my ears.”

Principal Godbey, a Christian, replied to the complaints by noting that while school officials cannot pray at public events or otherwise endorse a particular religion, the Constitution allows students the right to pray if they wish.

“No students have ever done that before,” Godbey told reporters, referring to the requests to stop the invocation. “My responsibility in upholding the Constitution and the First Amendment is [that] I have to protect their rights as well as the rights of those that want [the prayer].”

Prior to the graduation ceremony, Hardwick implied that he was going to proceed with the invocation even if he was told not to do so.

“If I want to have a prayer, the school can’t stop me,” he said. “[B ]ut the school can’t say, ‘Come up here and pray,’ [as] that’s the school supporting prayer, but if I want to pray they can’t stop me.”

Video footage of Hardwick’s prayer was posted on YouTube and other outlets following the event, and has so far generated over 6,000 views. A number of viewers debated the issue in the comments section, while others simply left words of encouragement for the student.

“Way to go Mr. Hardwick [in] standing up for your Christian beliefs,” one commenter named Tanya wrote. “If we had a handful more like you in this world, it would be a lot better of a place!”

“I’m so glad Jonathan went ahead and prayed!” exclaimed another named Suzanne. “So many times those in authority allow the beliefs of [a few] student[s ] to keep the rest of the students from praying and acknowledging God, and that isn’t right morally or constitutionally.”

However, some attendees are upset that the prayer was allowed to go forward. Ricky Smith, an atheist that was invited to the ceremony, says that he plans on contacting the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) and the Freedom From Religion Foundation (FFRF).

“Every student should feel safe at their graduation and should not have to worry about religious bullying,” he said.

Smith reportedly left the room during the duration of the prayer.

http://christiannews.net/2013/05/28/student-receives-standing-ovation-for-defying-attempts-to-stop-graduation-prayer/
Report Spam   Logged

What can you do for Jesus?  Learn what 1 person can accomplish.

The Man from George Street
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkjMvPhLrn8

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Mark
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 08:01:36 am »

How ca nthat Principle be a Principle at a scholl that teaches our children and NOT know the Constitution? No where does the constitution say you cannot have a prayer at graduation or for that matter prayer in school? it doesnt exist, all it say is CONGRESS shall make no laws for or against religion.

The First Amendment (Amendment I) to the United States Constitution prohibits the making of any law respecting an establishment of religion, impeding the free exercise of religion, abridging the freedom of speech, infringing on the freedom of the press, interfering with the right to peaceably assemble or prohibiting the petitioning for a governmental redress of grievances.

Thats it, you are not Congress, neither is your school. Neither is your State, the Law was no insure there was no STATE RAN RELIGION forced upon the people. I would think a PRINCIPLE of a SCHOOL would know this and not believe the MEDIA lies and hype. Read the Constitution, something not done in public schools. Too busy teaching the RELIGION of Evolution. woops 
Report Spam   Logged

What can you do for Jesus?  Learn what 1 person can accomplish.

The Man from George Street
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkjMvPhLrn8
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: