End Times and Current Events
March 28, 2024, 12:24:54 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: "Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me." John 5:39 (KJB)

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Atheism is a religion

Shoutbox
March 27, 2024, 12:55:24 pm Mark says: Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked  When Hamas spokesman Abu Ubaida began a speech marking the 100th day of the war in Gaza, one confounding yet eye-opening proclamation escaped the headlines. Listing the motives for the Palestinian militant group's Oct. 7 massacre in Israel, he accused Jews of "bringing red cows" to the Holy Land.
December 31, 2022, 10:08:58 am NilsFor1611 says: blessings
August 08, 2018, 02:38:10 am suzytr says: Hello, any good churches in the Sacto, CA area, also looking in Reno NV, thanks in advance and God Bless you Smiley
January 29, 2018, 01:21:57 am Christian40 says: It will be interesting to see what happens this year Israel being 70 years as a modern nation may 14 2018
October 17, 2017, 01:25:20 am Christian40 says: It is good to type Mark is here again!  Smiley
October 16, 2017, 03:28:18 am Christian40 says: anyone else thinking that time is accelerating now? it seems im doing days in shorter time now is time being affected in some way?
September 24, 2017, 10:45:16 pm Psalm 51:17 says: The specific rule pertaining to the national anthem is found on pages A62-63 of the league rulebook. It states: “The National Anthem must be played prior to every NFL game, and all players must be on the sideline for the National Anthem. “During the National Anthem, players on the field and bench area should stand at attention, face the flag, hold helmets in their left hand, and refrain from talking. The home team should ensure that the American flag is in good condition. It should be pointed out to players and coaches that we continue to be judged by the public in this area of respect for the flag and our country. Failure to be on the field by the start of the National Anthem may result in discipline, such as fines, suspensions, and/or the forfeiture of draft choice(s) for violations of the above, including first offenses.”
September 20, 2017, 04:32:32 am Christian40 says: "The most popular Hepatitis B vaccine is nothing short of a witch’s brew including aluminum, formaldehyde, yeast, amino acids, and soy. Aluminum is a known neurotoxin that destroys cellular metabolism and function. Hundreds of studies link to the ravaging effects of aluminum. The other proteins and formaldehyde serve to activate the immune system and open up the blood-brain barrier. This is NOT a good thing."
http://www.naturalnews.com/2017-08-11-new-fda-approved-hepatitis-b-vaccine-found-to-increase-heart-attack-risk-by-700.html
September 19, 2017, 03:59:21 am Christian40 says: bbc international did a video about there street preaching they are good witnesses
September 14, 2017, 08:06:04 am Psalm 51:17 says: bro Mark Hunter on YT has some good, edifying stuff too.
View Shout History
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Atheism is a religion  (Read 6426 times)
Mark
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2014, 04:00:23 am »

Atheists to launch the first TV channel dedicated to godlessness
American Atheists are taking their Cranford, N.J.-based production to the big leagues with a new Internet TV channel for non-believers.

AtheistTV will present exclusively atheist, humanist, and freethought programming.

Believe it.

A New Jersey-based atheist group is starting the first on-demand TV channel dedicated to godlessness.

AtheistTV will be launching this summer with big plans to reach out to atheists, humanists, freethinkers, and folks who are looking for a way out of faith.

Members of American Atheists, the organization behind the endeavor, think it’s about time.

“There’s a glut of religious TV programming out there, from televangelists to Christmas specials,” spokesman Dave Muscato told The News. “But there’s no atheist channel. We wanted to fill that void.”

The American Atheists plan to launch their new TV channel this summer.

American Atheists already has a production studio at their national headquarters in Cranford, N.J., where they film their public access cable show “Atheist Viewpoint.” The show is in its 20th season and is distributed to 50 markets across the country.

AtheistTV will make use of content from their homegrown show, as well as their archive of footage from the past 50 years of its activist history. But they’re also seeking to join forces with other content providers—non-profit secular organizations such as the Richard Dawkins Foundation and atheist YouTube stars with big fan bases.

The channel will be available through Roku, a wifi device that lets users stream from the Internet onto their TVs. Viewers will need to pay to get Roku, but subscribing to the channel will be free.
American Atheists will partner with the Richard Dawkins Foundation to provide on-demand content. David Levenson/Getty Images American Atheists will partner with the Richard Dawkins Foundation to provide on-demand content.

The lack of atheist programming is apparent on Roku’s channel listing. More than 300 faith-based channels are available, featuring programming centered around Christian music, sermons, and worship services.

Since they’re first on the scene, American Atheists will face the challenge of defining what exactly godless programming will look like.

“We’ll have shows about philosophy, science, history,” Muscato said. “A critical examination of the facts.”

Muscato also hopes the channel fill encourage people who are doubting their faith to come out as atheist.

“When somebody leaves their religion, they don’t necessarily know everything about the Big Bang,” Muscato said. “This will fill in the gaps in knowledge that pastors have left behind.”

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/atheists-launch-tv-channel-dedicated-godlessness-article-1.1785168#ixzz31CuSM1Z9
Report Spam   Logged

What can you do for Jesus?  Learn what 1 person can accomplish.

The Man from George Street
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkjMvPhLrn8
Mark
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2014, 05:12:08 am »

Godless Church Services for Atheists Go Global

Congregations for atheists are springing up all over the planet. There’s already a schism: celebrate life without a deity, or preach atheism. The celebration is winning.

Plans to set up almost 400 “atheist churches” on five continents are underway after the extraordinary success of one small congregation that began holding godless services just over a year ago.

Word about the religion-free church spread like wildfire after the first Sunday Assembly was held in a deconsecrated church in Highbury, North London, in January 2013. By September, 100 congregations will be holding services from Singapore and South Africa to Sao Paulo and San Diego. A further 274 teams currently are working on plans to launch their own assemblies.

The church’s first General Assembly is being held this weekend with leaders from all over the world gathered in South London. In 150 years of the Anglican Church’s Lambeth Conference, it’s safe to say none has begun quite like this--with a raucous group karaoke rendition of “I’m So Excited,” but then Sunday Assembly is a very different kind of world religion. Their gatherings resemble traditional church services with singing, lessons and the chance to interact with members of the community. The only thing missing is God.

Sanderson Jones, the group’s leader and CEO, and a stand-up comedian by trade, says the young organization is replicating the traditional church structure as it expands. But he says the empire is also attempting to harness the organizational knowhow and social interaction of Grindr and the National Rifle Association.

“We’re right on the buckle of the Bible Belt. … A lot of people tell me I’m going to Hell.”

“This is the first time we’re coming together like this,” he said. “We’ve had such a short time but I think we’re going to build something magnificent, something that’s going to last.”

The group’s rapid expansion has caught everyone by surprise. It is currently growing by 26 per cent each month but there is no end to Jones’ ambitions. “There are 1.1 billion non-religious people in the world,” he told The Daily Beast. “We want to have a godless congregation in every town, city and village that wants one.” In other words, as he told the gathering of leaders on the opening day of the conference: “We’re going to need a bigger boat."

In order to help as many people set up assemblies as possible, Jones has started to study the mechanics of running a huge organization. “My Twitter feed has got a lot less funny -- people are wondering ‘why is he retweeting a pdf of different corporate governance structures in social enterprises?’” he said. The research has led him to marvel at the N.R.A., one of the few organizations with what is considered the holy trinity of benefits and service, a membership community and a media platform. “Another good example is Grindr and Tinder,” says Jones. “If St Paul was alive today he wouldn’t be writing letters he’d be writing code.”

Jones is constantly exploring ways to create an equally efficient network with even bigger growth potential, but this weekend before he got down to all that, it was time to get down. The lyrics of the second track of Saturday’s musical opening, Pharrell Williams’ “Happy,” were projected on a big screen.

Clap along if you feel,
Like that’s what you wanna do.

They did. Two women from The Netherlands swayed from side-to-side; an enthusiastic chap from Newcastle, in the northeast of England, danced in front of his seat in the auditorium; and a broad-shouldered man with graying dreadlocks from Tennessee clapped in time with the music.

That man was Landry Butler, 46, a designer from Nashville, who became co-organizer of his local Sunday Assembly back in November. He was raised in a deeply Christian family, who often took him to three different church services every weekend. “I gave it up for Lent,” he said with a deep laugh. “We’re right on the buckle of the Bible Belt. More than 90 percent of people in Nashville are Christian and not everyone approves of what we’re doing. A lot of people tell me I’m going to Hell.”

“My mother didn’t want to talk about it until I appeared in the newspaper, and then she got interested,” said Butler. “She still says she’s praying for me, but that’s okay. We’re not trying to sell atheism - it’s not for me to get involved, no matter what stupid crap people believe.”

While Butler is setting up an atheist bulkhead in a deeply religious area, Jan Willem van der Straten is operating in a totally different environment. The 24-year-old is working to open the first Sunday Assembly in Amsterdam in September. He was brought up in a secular family, and his parents were stunned when he started taking an interest in religion. He still describes himself as a Christian. “People used to say: ‘Ah, Willem, you can have a good beer with him, but he’s got this funny religion thing.’ For the first time this is a church that my friends might want to come to,” he said. “I don’t have the baggage of religion; I have the baggage of atheism.”

As the assemblies multiply and spread, the disparity between communities has thrown up a series of issues. One of the hot debates to be decided this weekend is whether to continue to use the word “godless.” For those in countries where religion has receded in recent generations it feels more natural to say Sunday Assembly is a "celebration of life." The American chapters argue that everyone would assume it was a religious group if you didn’t explicitly explain otherwise.

The continued prominence of Christian belief in the U.S. also affects the way atheism is seen. The church suffered its first schism earlier this year when New York organizers fell out with the founders over the strength of the anti-religious teaching. “They wanted to do a celebration of atheism not a celebration of life,” said van der Straten, who has been working at the London headquarters for the past three months.

The genius of Sunday Assembly is that it shares far more with an ordinary church service than it differs. There have been scores of atheist groups in the past, but few have attracted such warmth and affection.

“The thing that we’ve got is that we’re the only non-religious service that works. Rationality is part of it, but we also have the emotional connection,” Jones said. “We are speaking to the whole human.”

Sunday Assembly is already talking to an awful lot of humans. Jones wonders if they might manage to start 2015 congregations by 2015. “It might just be a little bit historical if it goes on like this. We could have a profound impact,” he said. “Throughout history there’s been these moments when an idea takes off: the Great Awakenings. We could suddenly create a great moment.”

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/05/04/godless-church-services-for-atheists-go-global.html
Report Spam   Logged

Psalm 51:17
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2014, 06:12:34 pm »

The church’s first General Assembly is being held this weekend with leaders from all over the world gathered in South London. In 150 years of the Anglican Church’s Lambeth Conference, it’s safe to say none has begun quite like this--with a raucous group karaoke rendition of “I’m So Excited,” but then Sunday Assembly is a very different kind of world religion. Their gatherings resemble traditional church services with singing, lessons and the chance to interact with members of the community. The only thing missing is God.

This is ALMOST EXACTLY what you see in these Apostate Churches in recent decades! Yeah, the leaderships(ie-pastors, deacons, sunday school teachers, etc) may say the name of Jesus Christ, but their ultimate messages is "life challenges", "how to be a good person", "how to 'evangelise'", etc.

That man was Landry Butler, 46, a designer from Nashville, who became co-organizer of his local Sunday Assembly back in November. He was raised in a deeply Christian family, who often took him to three different church services every weekend. “I gave it up for Lent,” he said with a deep laugh. “We’re right on the buckle of the Bible Belt. More than 90 percent of people in Nashville are Christian and not everyone approves of what we’re doing. A lot of people tell me I’m going to Hell.”

And this proves right here how DEEPLY Apostate and rotten these "churches" really are - seriously, if these (Babel)church (buildings) really bears good fruit, then why in the world have their indoctrinated children to grow up to be unbelievers? Yeah, RED FLAGS should go up right there.

Personally, been there, done that - I thought I was saved throughout my years of going to these Babel church buildings(until the Lord showed me the KJB last year, as well as other info like 501c3 - which really got me to examine myself like never before).

John 5:39  Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.
Report Spam   Logged
Mark
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2014, 05:25:38 am »

U.S. Navy Denies Atheist’s Application to Become Military Chaplain

The United States Navy has denied an application from an outspoken atheist who sought to become a chaplain to the Godless in the military.

As previously reported, 38-year-old Jason Heap submitted his application last July, noting that he had earned master’s degrees from both Oxford University and Brite Divinity School, with substantial experience in human resources. He also successfully completed the necessary paperwork and all the required physical tests.

Heap told reporters at that time that a position as chaplain would be a chance for him “to give back to my country.”

“As both a humanist and a scholar of religion, I have a deep knowledge and understanding of world religions,” he told the Los Angeles Times. “My purpose and focus as a chaplain will be for holistic well-being of anyone who is in need of pastoral care.”

Many had objected to Heap’s application, calling the notion of an atheist chaplain as being absurd.

“When it comes to the idea of an atheist chaplain, which is an oxymoron—it’s self-contradictory—what you’re really doing is now saying that we’re going to replace true chaplains with non-chaplain chaplains,” Louisiana Rep. John Fleming (R) said.

“It’s just total nonsense, the idea of having a chaplain who is an atheist,” he continued. “A chaplain is a minister of the faith—someone who believes in a deity of a spiritual life who is assigned to a secular organization.”

Nearly a year after its submission, Heap’s application was recently denied. However, it remains unclear as to whether it was rejected because of Heap’s pursuit to become an atheist chaplain, or whether others were thought to be more qualified.

“Due to the highly competitive nature of the board, less than 50 percent of the applicants could be recommended for a commission in the United States Navy,” LCDR Chris Servello told conservative commentator Todd Starnes.

Regardless, a number of chaplains are applauding the Navy’s decision.

“Chaplains, historically and by definition, are people of faith,” Chaplain (COL) Ron Crews, USAR retired and executive director of Chaplain Alliance for Religious Liberty, said in a statement on Friday. “You can’t have an ‘atheist chaplain’ any more than you can have a ‘tiny giant’ or a ‘poor millionaire.’

“Chaplains have been serving military members since 1775 by bringing God to soldiers, sailors, marines, airmen, and members of the Coast Guard,” he continued. “I am grateful that, in this decision, the Navy has honored our long tradition of providing for the spiritual needs of the men and women who serve our nation in the military.”

http://christiannews.net/2014/06/01/u-s-navy-denies-atheists-application-to-become-military-chaplain/
Report Spam   Logged

Mark
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2014, 10:58:58 am »

Growing number of atheist churches in Bible Belt
'People hear about it and email saying, 'I've been waiting for this my entire life''

(National Post) Viewed from the outside, the pointy-roofed building in a suburb of Nashville, Tennessee deep in the heart of America’s Bible Belt, looks very much like a church.

And stepping inside, where a congregation is swaying along to music, listening to sermons and discussing ways to help their local community, it sounds very much like a church too.

There is, however, one rather fundamental missing ingredient that sets this congregation apart from the hundreds of others turning out to worship this Sunday morning in Nashville: this is a church without God.
Read the full story ›

http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/2014/08/12/peter-foster-inside-one-of-the-u-s-bible-belts-growing-number-of-atheist-churches/
Report Spam   Logged

Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2014, 02:48:17 pm »

FYI, I've noticed alot of the idolatry worship is located in these "bible belt" states - for example, the game of football is the most popular in these states.(I watch the games too, but 1) You would think they would be more popular in these secular-leaning states, and 2) With sodomites infiltrating football, I think born-again believers need to stray away from it)

With that being said - I'm not surprised - these "bible belt" states are mostly Babel church buildings worshippers, and not getting in the word of God(the KJB).
Report Spam   Logged
Mark
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2014, 06:07:32 am »

Florida School District Replaces Chaplains With ‘Life Coaches’ Following Atheist Complaint

A Florida school district has decided to replace its use of local pastors as high school football chaplains and replace with the position with life coaches following a complaint from a prominent atheist organization.

The Madison, Wisconsin-based Freedom from Religion Foundation (FFRF) sent a letter to the Orange County Public School District’s attorney this past March, stating that its use of pastors as chaplains amounts to “illegal religious activity.”

“It is inappropriate and unconstitutional for the district to offer a Christian minister unique access to befriend and proselytize student athletes,” the letter states, referring to reports that Todd Lamphere, pastor of The Venue Church in Apopka, Florida, has been serving as chaplain of the Apopka High School football team. “Accordingly, public high school football teams cannot appoint or employ a chaplain, seek out a spiritual leader for the team, or agree to have a volunteer chaplain, because public schools may not advance or promote religion.”

The correspondence also took issue with coach-led prayer, Scriptures on banners and apparel and Christian music in school videos, among other items.

In response to FFRF’s letter, earlier this month, district attorney Diego Rodriguez sent out a memo to the superintendent and others, advising that it is unlawful for Lamphere or others to serve as chaplain.

“Having a team chaplain is not permitted as it is an unconstitutional endorsement of religion,” he wrote.

Rodriguez also stated that coaches and others may not lead students in prayer, and that Scriptures could not be utilized on apparel designed by school staff.

“Pursuant to established federal cases which this office has no authority to overturn and must abide by, teachers, coaches and other school personnel cannot lead or participate in prayer with students,” he said. “Therefore, please make sure to educate the staff at this and other schools that active participation by any School Board employee and/or non-faculty coach in student-led prayer must not occur as it is contrary to established case law.”

Christian music was additionally prohibited from being used in videos for the school produced by an outside company.

While FFRF considers the memorandum a victory, pastors in the area are appalled by what they view as a form of eradication of Christianity from public life.

“They said I could still come and speak, but I wasn’t going to be called a chaplain; they wanted to call me a ‘life coach,’” Troy Schmidt, pastor of First Baptist Church of Windermere and chaplain at Olympia High School, told Fox reporter Todd Starnes this past week. “I could no longer open the Bible, talk about the Bible, talk about God or pray with the team in any capacity. It was heartbreaking.”

He said that he rejects the new title, and will continue to take a stand in whatever way he can.

“I refuse the title of life coach,” Schmidt further explained on Fox & Friends Thursday morning. “I don’t want to be turned into an atheist chaplain, which is what they’re trying to do.”

In the meantime, he said that his church will continue serving free meals to the Olympia High School football team.

“We can’t stay silent any longer,” he told Starnes. “We can’t allow them to move into these areas that traditionally have always been a part of the football program.”

video: http://christiannews.net/2014/08/31/florida-school-district-replaces-chaplains-with-life-coaches-following-atheist-complaint/
Report Spam   Logged

Mark
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2014, 06:41:23 am »

Federal Court Rules ‘Secular Humanism’ a Religion, Extends Equal Protection Rights to Atheists

In a landmark decision last week, a federal judge in Oregon declared ‘secular humanism’ to be a religion, opining that those who profess to be atheists and secular humanists should be afforded equal protection rights under the Establishment Clause of the U.S. Constitution and be allowed to enjoy the same liberties to practice religion that religious groups are able to enjoy.

Jason Holden, an atheist inmate who is serving time at the Federal Correctional Institute in Sheridan, Oregon, filed suit against the Federal Bureau of Prisons in April for rejecting his requests to form a study group on humanism. The Federal Bureau of Prisons denied the request on the ground that humanism was not a religious affiliation under existing prison classification, and hence Holden elevated it to federal court.

Senior District Judge Ancer Haggerty of the federal district court ruled in favor of Holden in order to exercise his constitutional right to form a humanist study group. Haggerty ruled that Holden’s constitutional rights were violated under the First and Fifth Amendments. In his ruling, he moved to recognize secular humanism as a religion for “Establishment Clause” purposes. Under the Establishment Clause, Haggerty’s rationale is that secular humanism must be able to enjoy the same liberties as other religious organizations because it is a constitutional principle that no religion shall be established above others as a state religion.

The American Humanist Association co-filed the case with Holden in the case American Humanist Association vs United States and declared the ruling a victory for secular groups to be afforded the same legal rights that are available to Buddhists, Christians, Hindus, Jews and Muslims – all of whom were permitted to organize under the current federal prison system. Haggerty sided with the plaintiffs, citing legal precedent in the case Torcaso vs Watkins which cited Secular Humanism as a religion in the decision to prohibit state and federal governments from passing laws to have religious requirements in holding public office.

“As humanists, we believe in the ability of mankind to transcend their differences and to reach some common ground and make the world a better place,” Holden commented during an interview with Upton Radio. “We simply want the same thing other religious groups are provided,” he said.

“The court finds that Secular Humanism is a religion for Establishment Clause purposes,” Judge Haggerty wrote in his ruling last Thursday. “Allowing followers of other faiths to join religious group meetings while denying Holden the same privilege is discrimination on the basis of religion.”

Humanism as an organized group has grown in the past years, with members establishing Humanist congregations at Harvard University, American University, Rutgers University, and Colombia University. Nonreligious Americans which include atheists and secular humanists have fought for the rights to be included to offer invocations at government meetings. The American Humanist Association has likewise fought for the right of 3.6 percent of nonreligious Army members to have access to formal Humanist chaplains in the US military as the US Army moved to include “Humanist” as a religious affiliation.

- See more at: http://christiannews.net/2014/11/04/federal-court-rules-secular-humanism-a-religion-extends-equal-protection-rights-to-atheists/#sthash.mcdTIo7k.dpuf
Report Spam   Logged

Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2014, 08:38:24 am »

Well, these "religious freedom" pushers are getting what they want...
Report Spam   Logged
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2014, 11:11:12 am »

Once again - the KJB proves 100% correct!(Romans 1:18-32)

http://moonbattery.com/?p=52744
11/24/14
Dave Muscato of American Atheists Proclaims He Is a Girl

If they were not so willfully pernicious, you would have to feel sorry for moonbats. Many of them are seriously troubled. The more militant they are in their moonbattery, the more likely they are to suffer from severe psychiatric issues. For example, Dave Muscato, Public Relations Director for the obnoxiously anti-Christian outfit American Atheists, has decided to change his name to Danielle and pretend he is a girl. From his official announcement:

For all practical purposes, very little will change as far as my work. The only real difference for now is that, going forward, I prefer to be called Danielle instead of Dave, and I prefer the use of feminine personal pronouns (she/her rather than he/him).

His twitter page features this self-description:

danielle-dave-muscato
If Muscato really were a woman, he would be the ugliest one alive. But he isn’t, so Rosie O’Donnell still holds the title.

Muscrato explains why he isn’t even trying to look like a girl for now:

Gender identity and gender presentation, also known as expression, don’t necessarily go hand-in-hand. While I have identified internally as a woman for a long time, for now, I will be presenting more-or-less as a man; that is, I will continue to wear mostly traditional men’s clothing, speak in my natural lower voice, and so on. Transitioning is a slow, painful, and expensive process and can take many months to several years. As I begin to take bigger steps to change my appearance, I will also begin dressing differently and changing other aspects of my gender expression.

This may be confusing at first, since I will look (and sound) like a man in the beginning of the process, but I will also be using feminine pronouns and going by Danielle. I want everyone to know up front that I will not hold it against you nor be insulted or hurt if you slip and use the wrong pronouns, or call me Dave by mistake — it happens!

Muscrat will never be referred to by any feminine pronouns at Moonbattery.com, not even if he shaves, gets a wig, cuts off his weenie, and starts talking in falsetto. Good thing he won’t be insulted or hurt.

Have a last look at Muskrat in his male persona. Here he is attacking Christmas last December:

Why are we letting people like this take our culture away from us?
Report Spam   Logged
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2014, 08:19:55 pm »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/12/13/bill-nye-children-creationism_n_6317148.html?cps=gravity
12/13/14
Bill Nye: Creationism Is 'Raising A Generation Of Young People Who Can't Think'

The biggest danger creationism plays, according to Bill Nye the "Science Guy," is that it is raising a generation of children who "can't think" and who "will not be able to participate in the future in same way" as those who are taught evolution.

Speaking on MidPoint, Nye said he blames an older generation of evangelicals "who have very strong conservative views" and who are "reluctant to let kids learn about evolution." Their presence on school boards leads to debates over curriculum, Nye argued, which further inhibits schools' ability to teach facts.

"Religion is one thing. People get tremendous comfort and community with their religions," Nye said. "But whatever you believe, whatever deity or higher power you might believe in, the Earth is not 6,000 years old."

Nye, who has a new book out titled "Undeniable: Evolution and the Science of Creation," recently participated in a debate with creationist Ken Ham, which some argued was a moment of embarrassment for the science community.

University of Chicago evolution professor Jerry A. Coyne called the debate "pointless and counterproductive." The Guardian's Pete Etchells wrote:

Scientific literacy is crucial for society to function effectively, which means that we can’t afford to be messing around with the way that it’s taught in the classroom or wasting our time with fruitless public debates.

Nye stood by the debate, however, saying he "stepped into the lion's den" in order to spread awareness about the academic opportunities children are denied by being creationism.

"They will not have this fundamental idea that you can question things, that you can think critically, that you can use skeptical thought to learn about nature," Nye told MidPoint. "These children have to suppress everything that they can see in nature to try to get a world view that's compatible with the adults in who they trust and rely on for sustenance."
Report Spam   Logged
Mark
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2014, 05:16:14 am »

‘There Is No One Right Way to Live': Atheists Invent Their Own Ten Commandments

Two professing atheist authors recently held a contest in which they asked followers to “rethink the Ten Commandments” and come up with “an alternative secular version … for the modern age.”

Lex Bayer and John Figdor, authors of the book “Atheist Mind, Humanist Heart,” launched the contest last month to “open up for discussion what gives life meaning when secular culture is on the rise.”

The crowdsourcing competition invited atheists and humanists around their world to submit a commandment, which was then voted on by their peers, as well as a panel of 13 judges. The global contest resulted in over 2,800 submissions from 18 countries worldwide.

“Experience as wide a range of pleasures as possible, without excess or harm to others,” one submission read.

“The infinity after your death stretches out as the one before your life,” another said. “Enjoy your short window, lucky one.”

“Have a purpose in life,” stated a third.

Judges in the contest included Adam Savage from the Discovery Channel’s “Mythbusters”; National Medal of Science recipient Gordon Bower; Harvard University’s Humanist Chaplain, Greg Epstein; Executive Director of the Richard Dawkins Foundation, Robyn Blumner; and Chief Executive of the British Humanist Association, Andrew Copson. Ten winners were chosen, and each received $1,000 for their entry.

On Friday, Bayer and Figdor announced the winning submissions:

I. Be open-minded and be willing to alter your beliefs with new evidence.
II. Strive to understand what is most likely to be true, not to believe what you wish to be true.
III. The scientific method is the most reliable way of understanding the natural world.
IV. Every person has the right to control over their body.
V. God is not necessary to be a good person or to live a full and meaningful life.
VI. Be mindful of the consequences of all your actions and recognize that you must take responsibility for them.
VII. Treat others as you would want them to treat you, and can reasonably expect them to want to be treated. Think about their perspective.
VIII. We have the responsibility to consider others, including future generations.
IX. There is no one right way to live.
X. Leave the world a better place than you found it.

The men claim that the secular commandments demonstrate that one doesn’t have to be Christian to be moral.

“There is often a misconception that nonbelievers don’t share strong ethical values. In reading through the thousands of submissions in the contest it’s very clear that is not the case,” Figdor, who works as a humanist chaplain at Stanford University, said in a statement. “The overwhelming positivity and overlap with traditional moral values shows that no matter where you are from, or what your faith tradition has been—or hasn’t been—there are some things we can all agree on as being important and vital to a rich and fulfilling life.”

But as previously reported, Terre Ritchie of CBH Ministries said that it is futile for humankind to concoct its own definition of goodness.

“There has to be more to our faith than being a nice person,” she continued. “Knowledge of the Scriptures is going to tell us what good is. … When King Solomon wrote, ‘Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding,’ [he was telling us that] if we’re going on an understanding without God, we’re not going to get far.”

http://christiannews.net/2014/12/20/there-is-no-one-right-way-to-live-atheists-invent-their-own-ten-commandments/

III. The scientific method is the most reliable way of understanding the natural world.

Cheesy That is so funny they included that one. If you apply the scientific method to evolution, it completely falls apart.  Cheesy Talk about setting your self up for failure.
Report Spam   Logged

Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2014, 09:05:26 pm »

“Have a purpose in life,” stated a third.

Isn't that the title of Rick Warren's best-selling book, which churches in America embraced? Shocked
Report Spam   Logged
Mark
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2015, 06:31:46 am »

Cheesy they even have their own version of XMass 

Delaware Governor Declares February 12 as ‘Charles Darwin Day’

Atheists and secularists are commending the Governor of Delaware’s recent decision to recognize February 12, 2015, as “Charles Darwin Day” in celebration of the notorious naturalist’s birthday.

In a recent statement, Delaware Governor Jack Markell announced that February 12—Darwin’s birthday—will be recognized this year as “Charles Darwin Day” in his state. Markell stated that “Darwin’s Theory of Evolution is the foundation of modern biology, an essential tool in understanding the development of life on earth.”

“The anniversary of Darwin’s birthday is a time to reflect and celebrate the importance of his scientific achievements,” Markell said in the statement. “Now, Therefore, I, Jack A. Markell, Governor, do hereby declare February 12th, 2015, Charles Darwin Day.”

Charles Darwin Day, also known as International Darwin Day, is celebrated each year by evolutionists around the world. The day is organized by the American Humanist Association (AHA), which is an organization committed to promoting atheism and “good without a god.”

“The mission of International Darwin Day is to inspire people throughout the globe to reflect and act on the principles of intellectual bravery, perpetual curiosity, scientific thinking, and hunger for truth as embodied in Charles Darwin,” the AHA’s International Darwin Day website explains.

Markell reportedly issued the Darwin Day proclamation following a request from the Delaware Atheist Meetup. The group plans to celebrate the occasion with a February 12 meeting in Newark.

Though Darwin is held in high esteem by evolutionists, those who reject his theory argue that Darwin’s contributions to empirical science were negligible. Brian Thomas, Science Writer for the Institute for Creation Research, told Christian News Network that “Darwin’s scientific achievements amounted to very little—some work on invertebrates was all.”

“Instead,” Thomas asserted, “he is celebrated for convincing key thinkers that natural processes can mimic what science shows nature could never do, like building the biological machines we call human bodies that construct themselves from single cells to contain human spirits that think about whether or not to throw a party in honor of Charles Darwin.”

Darwinism is appealing to many people, Thomas said, because, according to the evolutionary worldview, there is no moral accountability to a Creator.

“The spiritual link between Darwinism and atheism follows from thinking that natural processes like death and mutations can transform worms into humans,” he stated. “Where does a Creator fit in this view? Without a Creator, man feels free to do what he wants, how he wants—all while ignoring his conscience that reminds him of the Judge he must one day face.”

Ultimately, Thomas contended, Darwin Day promotes naturalism and secularism—not science.

“If Delaware really valued science, then why not celebrate Isaac Newton Day, Louis Pasteur Day, Werner von Braun Day, or Raymond Damadian Day?” he asked. “Clearly, Darwin’s influence reached beyond science to ultimate origins. Celebrating Darwin amounts to rejoicing in the belief that nature created all things instead of God.”

The implications of an evolutionary belief system can be dangerous, Thomas added.

“We know from World War II that Darwinistic elitism can be used to justify slaughtering millions of lives,” he said, “and we know from Hebrews 11 that ‘he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him.’ We won’t seek Him if we don’t first agree that He, not nature, made us.”

http://christiannews.net/2015/02/02/delaware-governor-declares-february-12-as-charles-darwin-day/
Report Spam   Logged

Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2015, 07:04:59 pm »

Published on May 23, 2014
This Ad is pretty shocking at the message it sends. As Christians are under attack for their beliefs, Satanism is on the rise. Atheists will tell you they don't believe in God, Satan, Heaven or Hell. The world has become a place of Look at ME and look at what I have. All about material possessions, but what they are forgetting is that the Human Soul is the most valuable possession anyone has and I will not take that for granted.

Report Spam   Logged
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 02, 2015, 09:44:53 pm »

Report Spam   Logged
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 21, 2015, 04:18:50 pm »

http://cnsnews.com/commentary/alex-mcfarland/atheism-rise-growth-disbelief-signals-danger-america-0
Atheism on the Rise? Growth of Disbelief Signals Danger for America
April 17, 2015 - 1:37 PM

A new study by the Barna Group has found that atheism and agnosticism are being embraced by a growing percentage of young people. ACCORDING to the study, “2015 State of Atheism in America” 20 years ago, 18 percent of skeptics were under the age of 30; today, the percentage is nearly double that, at 34 percent.
The numbers are disturbing but not SURPRISING.

In the past several decades, we’ve seen the rise of militant secularism in America. This belief system says that if you are a Christian who believes in the authority of Scripture and in absolute morals, you are intolerant, and your beliefs are not acceptable in society. We’ve seen this secularism take hold in our schools, our entertainment, our culture, our politics and even our churches. And one of the results has been a steep increase in the NUMBER of young people who reject God.

Indeed, a separate Barna study FOUND younger generations are increasingly less likely to believe that Jesus was God. Among millennials, only 48 percent believe in the divinity of Jesus, while 35 percent believe he was simply a religious or spiritual leader and 17 percent are unsure.

Tragically, many churches have neglected their call to uphold biblical truth in the face of secularist aggression, instead diluting their messages in response to cultural pressures.

It’s no wonder that the Barna study shows that more than two-thirds of skeptics have actually attended church, and many for a significant period of time. When there are self-proclaimed ministers of the Gospel who, by their own ADMISSION, do not believe in God, and others who pursue the praise of society more than obedience to God, how can the church equip individuals to stand strong in their faith?

Although some claim religion is a "PRIVATE" matter, the rise among young people of skepticism—which the Barna Group defines as including both atheism and agnosticism—will have consequences for America as a nation.

From a societal standpoint, any time we reject a belief in God and, thereby, a belief in absolute morals based on the Word of God, we see the disintegration of a healthy society. From the breakdown of the family and the killing of the unborn to the rejection of the rule of law and of moral boundaries, the consequences are far reaching.

But there is hope. America still has a choice between going down the path of moral chaos or RETURNING to the Judeo-Christian principles that made our nation great. But the change won’t come from political leaders or from the culture; it must begin with the church.
Report Spam   Logged
Mark
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 26, 2015, 05:27:07 am »

‘There Are Not Two Sides': Atheists Seek to Stop Teacher from Presenting Alternative to Evolution

Evolution and Atheism are BOTH religions

Two prominent atheist organizations are urging an investigation into a Christian science teacher for teaching “both sides of the argument” surrounding evolution, as they believe that he should not be permitted to do so.

The Madison,Wisconsin-based Freedom from Religion Foundation (FFRF) and the Washington, D.C.-based Richard Dawkins Foundation for Reason and Science (RDFRS) recently sent a letter to the Lucia Mar Unified School District to complain about the methods of Arroyo Grande High School teacher Brandon Pettenger.

The organizations state that they were contacted by a family who takes issue that Pettenger presents both evolution and creation, they believe that only one side should be taught to students and that religion should be left out of the classroom. The letter outlines that Pettenger showed his students the Bill Nye/Ken Ham debate and had students provide summaries of creation beliefs from websites that disagree with evolutionary theory.

The family had contacted Pettenger to protest creation being taught in addition to evolution, but Pettenger responded that students should have the ability to make up their own minds about what they believe.

“I understand that you might be worried I am teaching religion in a public school science class, which is not the case,” he wrote. “There is debate within the scientific community about how to answer the question where did life come from. I feel it would be a disservice to my students not to present both sides of the argument.”

“We are investigating the main theories that are presented in this debate and the evidence used to support those claims,” Pettenger continued. “It is up to each student to decide for themselves which side they believe based on the evidence.”

But FFRF and RDFRS sent a letter to Superintendent Jim Hogeboom on Wednesday to ask that Pettenger be investigated and forced to stop teaching creation as an alternative.

“We understand that Mr. Brandon Pettenger is attempting to ‘present both sides of the argument’ regarding evolution in his public school classroom,” the correspondence states. “Any attempt to teach that there is a controversy about evolution is similarly fraught with legal peril. Evolution is as much a fact as gravity. There are not two sides of the evolution argument for Pettenger to present.”

“[T]here is simply no controversy. There exists only scientific fact and evidence, and a religious belief that rebels against such evidence,” it continues. “One can, indeed must be taught in public schools. The other cannot.”

FFRF and RDFRS asked that Pettenger be disciplined if found to be speaking against evolution and stopped from doing so again in the future.

“If these allegations are founded, Pettenger must be directed to refrain from promoting religion or attacking evolution in the public school,” the letter stated. “At the very least, appropriate disciplinary action should be taken, and the results of your investigation placed in the teacher’s file.”

According to the San Luis Obispo New Times, school officials are looking into the matter, and while they declined to comment, Director of Secondary Education Hillery Dixon told the outlet that creation “should not be taught in any way.”

The outlet says that it obtained some of the lessons and presentations, which included a slide show that presented creation beliefs followed by “mainstream science” claims.

http://christiannews.net/2015/04/25/there-are-not-two-sides-atheists-seek-to-stop-teacher-from-presenting-alternative-to-evolution/
Report Spam   Logged

Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 12, 2015, 02:53:32 pm »

Report Spam   Logged
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 27, 2015, 02:42:28 pm »

https://answersingenesis.org/world-religions/atheism/feedback-is-atheism-a-religion/
7/25/15

Atheism is not a religion. Not even close. If you read the definition, you would quickly realize that Atheists don’t worship any deities.

As with any debated issue, it is crucial to immediately define the key terms, so I agree that we should check the definition of religion. The following definitions are found in the eleventh edition of Merriam-Webster’s Collegiate Dictionary:

1b(1): the service and worship of God or the supernatural

If this were the only definition of religion, then I would tend to agree with you on this matter. Some have argued that many atheists view themselves as gods, and that they worship their own ideas, but even this would not qualify as religion under the above definition. However, look at the final definition provided by Merriam-Webster’s:

4: a cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and faith

Using this definition, many atheists would certainly be categorized as religious, particularly the so-called “New Atheists” like Richard Dawkins and Bill Maher. It would be better to consider them anti-theists (“against God”) or misotheists (“haters of God”). These men and others like them spend much of their time railing against the Creator they say doesn’t even exist. Strangely enough, these misotheists seem to be more obsessed with God than most Christians. They most certainly hold to their cause and beliefs with ardor and faith.

The article to which you responded explained exactly how religion was being defined: “It is a set of beliefs through which they view and interpret the world that they cling to with blind faith and ardor.” This sounds much like the second definition listed above.

Not to mention, you said we follow a certain set of beliefs based on blind faith.

Chief among these elements of blind faith is your belief that God does not exist. Since you could never prove the nonexistence of God without possessing all knowledge (in which case you would be God), this is a tenet of your system that is held by blind faith.

Another word that should be mentioned and defined here is dogma. The following definitions of dogma are found at Dictionary.com:

An official system of principles or tenets concerning faith, morals, behavior, etc., as a of a church
A specific tenet or doctrine authoritatively laid down, as by a church
Prescribed doctrine proclaimed by a particular group.
Settled or established opinion, belief, or principle

Atheists follow the dogma that God does not exist, especially in accordance with the third and fourth definitions above. And the way that many atheists assert their belief so dogmatically is another way in which they act religiously.

For starters, no two Atheists agree on every world view.

The same could be said for about any group of people. Yes, even Christians within the same congregation will often disagree on some finer points of doctrine largely due to our limited knowledge and experience. But this statement dodges the real issue. It matters not if two atheists agree on every aspect of their worldview; they do agree in claiming that God does not exist. Their faith in that dogma is the issue at hand.

An Atheist simply means that person does not believe in any gods. Some Atheists think the existence of a god is impossible, while others think its possible but see no reason to worship any gods.

The vast majority of the atheists we hear from would fall into your first category since they are the most vocal in opposing Christianity.

Instead of worshiping the Creator who made everyone, atheists have essentially chosen to worship the creature. An atheist worships (holds as the most important, respects the most, gives highest priority to, or treats as the highest authority and the source of meaning and morality) himself, or money, or sex, or a movie star, or an athlete, or the government, and so on. An atheist is an idolater just as much as someone who bows before a statue or other man-made object representing his deity. Just in case you think that idolatry cannot be committed by an atheist, consider how the eleventh edition of Merriam-Webster’s Collegiate Dictionary defines this term.

the worship of a physical object as a god
immoderate attachment or devotion to something

As an atheist you must believe in evolution and so you cling to a view that requires mindless matter to work miracles, such as causing life to arise from non-living materials and intelligence to come from non-intelligence.

We believe in an eternal, all-powerful, all-knowing God who created life and everything else. He repeatedly demonstrated His ability to work miracles before thousands of witnesses. He walked on water, calmed the storm, healed the sick, lame, blind, and deaf, and He even raised the dead to life. As such, the Christian faith is not a blind faith.

Furthermore, it’s ironic that you say Atheists use blind faith to justify their beliefs. That is hilarious. Atheism is based on logic.

Now that’s truly ironic. If atheism were true, rational thought would not and could not exist, for the atheist’s thoughts would just be the result of time and chance and the laws of nature. Therefore, our minds would just be rearranged atoms, no more rational than pond scum. Atheism is rooted in philosophical naturalism—matter is all that exists. Yet laws of logic, such as the law of identity and the law of non-contradiction, are immaterial. So atheism cannot provide the rational foundation for logic. Instead, atheism must steal from a theistic worldview to even use logic. Only if there is a rational Creator is there a basis for the laws of logic. Thus, an atheist’s attempt to prove atheism using logic is self-defeating.

There is no reason to worship any god based off of a fictional book that promotes racism and bigotry.

So this is part of your “logical” defense of atheism? You have not argued against God’s existence, but have only tried to show that He isn’t worthy of worship by creating a giant straw-man argument.

First, the Bible is not a fictional book. It is the Word of God and is therefore inerrant and infallible in the original manuscripts. Also, even if the Bible had some errors, which it doesn’t, it would not instantly turn all the rest of it into fiction. This is empty rhetoric on your part.

Second, perhaps you can explain how it is racist to believe that every people group is descended from Adam and Eve (and later Noah and his wife), and that we are all made of one blood (Acts 17:26). Where is the racism or bigotry in the following commands given by the Son of God?

You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind. (Matthew 22:37)
You shall love your neighbor as yourself. (Matthew 22:39)
But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecuted you. (Matthew 5:44)
This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you. (John 15:12)

While it’s true that Christians have sometimes fallen short of these commands, even to the point of bigotry and racism, it does not follow that the Bible promotes these vices. Rather Jesus taught His followers to love all people, and to make disciples of all nations (Matthew 28:18–20). The Bible also teaches that people from every tongue, tribe, and nation will be redeemed and spend eternity together worshipping the one true God (Revelation 5:9).

You seem to think that bigotry and racism are wrong, but why would they be wrong in an atheistic worldview? Who gets to decide what is right and wrong in a system that provides no absolute basis for morality? Please notice, I did not claim that an atheist cannot live a moral life; I am pointing out that their belief system does not provide anything but an arbitrary basis for that morality. If life is simply a cosmic accident, a jumble of atoms that happened to come together in the right way at the right time, and if man is nothing more than another animal in the evolutionary tree of life, then where do your standards come from? Do you get mad about a lion killing a gazelle or are you outraged when an eagle kills a rabbit? Does it trouble you when vinegar and baking soda react? From an atheistic evolutionary perspective, all of these things have the same intrinsic non-worth as a human being, a blade of grass, or a grain of sand. So why would you get upset with a Christian identifying atheism as a religion?

And since we’re interested in defining terms, let’s look at how Merriam-Webster’s defines bigot.

A person obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices especially: one who regards or treats the members of a group (as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance

Christians are routinely called bigots in our culture, and yet the shoe is more often on the other foot. Anti-theists have called us all sorts of inflammatory terms, and yet we find that they can be filled with so much hate and intolerance toward Christians and the God of the Bible. So by definition, these people should be classified as bigots.

Your religion requires nothing other than blind faith. Just following the motions and not second guessing anything.

This is a curious charge to direct at an apologetics ministry. We believe Christians should be ready to give an answer or defense for their beliefs (1 Peter 3:15), that is, to give reasoned arguments for why we believe what we believe to be true. Therefore we have thousands of articles on our website designed to equip Christians to do just that. And while some Christians do hold to something akin to blind faith, that is not what the Bible teaches. Christianity is by no means a blind faith. It is rooted and grounded in real events in history, most notably the Crucifixion, burial, and Resurrection of Jesus Christ.

Keeping it’s members ignorant so the churches can rake in more dough to pay for the pastors new Lexus.

If you think these prosperity peddlers frequently seen on television represent biblical Christianity, then you have not done your homework. Instead, you have built another straw-man argument to torch. These men rarely, if ever, preach the gospel of the crucified and risen Savior. Sure, they talk about God quite a bit, but it’s usually in the context of how many material blessings He supposedly wants to give you if you are willing to donate to their ministry. This is not biblical Christianity and the vast majority of pastors do not live in luxury or drive fancy cars.

Jesus said, “If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow Me . . . . For what profit is it to a man if he gains the whole world, and is himself destroyed or lost?” (Luke 9:23, 25). Jesus taught His followers to serve others and deny self, so those who live for worldly gain are not obeying the Lord.

Next time you ATTEMPT to bash Atheists, do your research dude.

Based on the above discussion, I would challenge you to do your research before attempting to call us out. You have failed to properly understand Christianity and you mock caricatures of the faith, but have not even come close to offering a valid critique of the faith itself.

You may be away with spewing B.S. in a church setting by that’s not how it works in the real world, guy.

Sadly, in the “real world” most people aren’t interested in logical arguments; they are persuaded by propaganda and empty rhetoric. It’s quite arrogant for you to imply that all Christians are idiots who blindly follow whatever their pastor proclaims as he milks them for their money. But a large and growing number of Christians are being equipped by Answers in Genesis and other apologetics ministries to defend their faith with rational arguments. And most Bible-believing, truly gospel-preaching pastors are humble servants of God’s people. Also, many of the greatest scientists and thinkers of all time have been Bible-believing Christians.

You may believe it to be foolish to follow the risen Savior Jesus Christ, but someday you will see Him highly exalted. If you have not trusted in Him, then you will be judged for all eternity, but not before you kneel before Him and proclaim that He is Lord (Philippians 2:9–11). I pray that you will turn from your sins and ask for His forgiveness before that day comes.
Report Spam   Logged
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 02, 2015, 02:53:50 pm »

Report Spam   Logged
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 03, 2015, 09:38:53 pm »

Report Spam   Logged
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 23, 2015, 12:05:15 pm »

http://nypost.com/2015/10/23/atheist-wants-to-say-prayer-to-satan-at-county-meeting/
10/23/15
Atheist wants to say prayer to Satan at county meeting

TAVARES, Fla. — A South Florida man is threatening to sue Lake County if officials pray during a commission meeting but don’t allow him to give a satanic invocation.

Chaz Stevens, a self-described atheist, tells local news outlets his request this week is part of his “Satan or Silence Project.” His goal is to persuade elected officials to either drop prayers before meetings or allow him to lead a satanic prayer.

Commission Chairman Jimmy Conner says he won’t allow the request.

In the past, Stevens has helped sway several cities to have a moment of silence before meetings instead of a prayer. He says he will consider filing a lawsuit if Lake County denies his request.

Conner says he’ll rally churches to raise money for a defense, should he need to. He has no plans to forgo the invocation.
Report Spam   Logged
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 23, 2016, 07:06:59 pm »

Report Spam   Logged
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 30, 2016, 03:37:57 pm »

Report Spam   Logged
Mark
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 02, 2016, 06:10:04 pm »

GROUP HANDS OUT SEX IN THE BIBLE TRACTS IN COLORADO SCHOOLS

Atheists are providing pamphlets on topics like sex in the Bible, problems with the Ten Commandments and a Satanic activity book to middle and high school students in a rural Colorado district.

It may sound like an April Fool's joke, but Friday's handouts are real. It's the result of a fight between Delta County schools and critics over whether it should continue to let everyone from Little League organizers to the Gideons distribute literature in schools.

The availability of Bibles in schools in December led the Freedom from Religion Foundation to ask to the school district to offer its material to students in a bid to close the door on all outside literature. But the school district allowed it, rather than risk a costly lawsuit. The district says it's looking at changing its policy.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_ATHEISTS_SCHOOLS?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2016-04-01-15-24-40
Report Spam   Logged

Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 14, 2016, 05:01:53 pm »

Report Spam   Logged
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 23, 2016, 10:54:36 am »

Report Spam   Logged
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 16, 2016, 08:49:49 pm »

Report Spam   Logged
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 03, 2016, 10:25:09 am »

http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/02/politics/atheist-reason-rally/index.html
6/2/16
Thousands of atheists gathering in DC for Reason Rally

Washington (CNN) — Bill Nye, Lewis Black and members of the Wu-Tang Clan will be part of a high-profile lineup preaching to a mass of atheists Saturday at the Reason Rally at this city's Lincoln Memorial.

The coalition of secular organizations is expecting 30,000 people to descend on Washington, where they will call for a non-religious approach to politics amid a hotly contested presidential campaign. They also hope to flex the political muscles of the religious unaffiliated, turning one of the fastest-growing groups in the country into a powerful voting bloc.

While the rally has scheduled musical entertainment, flashy speakers and late-night cocktail hours at neighboring hotels, the thousands of "nones" -- people who don't identify with any religion -- coming to the nation's capital also have a more serious agenda.

The Reason Rally is "absolutely" a political event, said executive director Lyz Liddell. "That's the reason we're holding this in an election year. "We want to see reason taking precedence over religious-driven ideology."

The rally's major issues of focus are climate change, reproductive rights and LGBT equality, all hotly contested political topics whose opposing voices often come from the religious right.

Larry Decker, executive director of the Secular Coalition for America, said his group has scheduled meetings with more than two thirds of the members of Congress, whom they hope to lobby on behalf of secular values. They also hope to soften some of the social stigma still attached to the "atheist" label.

According to a Gallup poll, 40% of Americans would not vote for an atheist president, though that number has declined in recent years.

There is a "small vocal group of people in this country who have really demonized what atheist means," Decker said..

But while organizers hope to distance religion from the conversation, the rally's attendees and speakers include people of faith, notably such legislators as Rep. Tulsi Gabbard (D-Hawaii) and Rep. Bobby Scott (D-Va.).

"It would be great if we get proportionate representation in Congress, but we are being represented by religious members of Congress and we want to work with them. We want to be heard by them." said Liddell.

The last Reason Rally, held in 2012, may have had a much more excluding vibe, Liddell said. "Some of our speakers were anti-theists and anti-religion."

This year, she said, the focus has shifted to secularism. "We need to ally with people who share our goals. It's not an 'atheist vs religious people' conversation."

Decker himself identifies as an unaffiliated Christian. But even so, "I really feel more comfortable in this community," he said.

Secularists might be the only group that sees hope in a presidential election so rife with vitriol because religious identity hasn't been a big part of either party's leading candidates, said Reason Rally organizers.

"It's refreshing to see that we're not looking at one religious group as the primary influence in elections," Liddell said.

Decker said it was good thing when Sen. Ted Cruz and Ohio Gov. John Kasich dropped out of the presidential race because they were among the candidates who had invoked God in their reason to run for president.

The rally is slated to run Saturday from 10am to 7pm.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: