End Times and Current Events
April 18, 2024, 06:51:47 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome To End Times and Current Events.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

'Preachers of L.A.' Brings the Prosperity Gospel to Oprah's New Age TV

Shoutbox
March 27, 2024, 12:55:24 pm Mark says: Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked  When Hamas spokesman Abu Ubaida began a speech marking the 100th day of the war in Gaza, one confounding yet eye-opening proclamation escaped the headlines. Listing the motives for the Palestinian militant group's Oct. 7 massacre in Israel, he accused Jews of "bringing red cows" to the Holy Land.
December 31, 2022, 10:08:58 am NilsFor1611 says: blessings
August 08, 2018, 02:38:10 am suzytr says: Hello, any good churches in the Sacto, CA area, also looking in Reno NV, thanks in advance and God Bless you Smiley
January 29, 2018, 01:21:57 am Christian40 says: It will be interesting to see what happens this year Israel being 70 years as a modern nation may 14 2018
October 17, 2017, 01:25:20 am Christian40 says: It is good to type Mark is here again!  Smiley
October 16, 2017, 03:28:18 am Christian40 says: anyone else thinking that time is accelerating now? it seems im doing days in shorter time now is time being affected in some way?
September 24, 2017, 10:45:16 pm Psalm 51:17 says: The specific rule pertaining to the national anthem is found on pages A62-63 of the league rulebook. It states: “The National Anthem must be played prior to every NFL game, and all players must be on the sideline for the National Anthem. “During the National Anthem, players on the field and bench area should stand at attention, face the flag, hold helmets in their left hand, and refrain from talking. The home team should ensure that the American flag is in good condition. It should be pointed out to players and coaches that we continue to be judged by the public in this area of respect for the flag and our country. Failure to be on the field by the start of the National Anthem may result in discipline, such as fines, suspensions, and/or the forfeiture of draft choice(s) for violations of the above, including first offenses.”
September 20, 2017, 04:32:32 am Christian40 says: "The most popular Hepatitis B vaccine is nothing short of a witch’s brew including aluminum, formaldehyde, yeast, amino acids, and soy. Aluminum is a known neurotoxin that destroys cellular metabolism and function. Hundreds of studies link to the ravaging effects of aluminum. The other proteins and formaldehyde serve to activate the immune system and open up the blood-brain barrier. This is NOT a good thing."
http://www.naturalnews.com/2017-08-11-new-fda-approved-hepatitis-b-vaccine-found-to-increase-heart-attack-risk-by-700.html
September 19, 2017, 03:59:21 am Christian40 says: bbc international did a video about there street preaching they are good witnesses
September 14, 2017, 08:06:04 am Psalm 51:17 says: bro Mark Hunter on YT has some good, edifying stuff too.
View Shout History
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 'Preachers of L.A.' Brings the Prosperity Gospel to Oprah's New Age TV  (Read 638 times)
Mark
Administrator

View Profile
« on: July 07, 2013, 05:02:28 am »

'Preachers of L.A.' Brings the Prosperity Gospel to Reality TV

The Story: The prosperous lifestyles of six megachurch pastors in California will be the subject of a new reality show, "Preachers of L.A.," slated for the Oxygen network this fall.

The Background: "The Bible says I wish above all things that you would prosper and be in health, even as your soul prospers. I believe that," declares Bishop Clarence McClendon, in the show's trailer. When challenged about this prosperity gospel, McClendon replies, "there is no other kind of Gospel."

"P. Diddy, Jay-Z, they're not the only ones who should be driving Ferraris and living in large houses," says cast member Bishop Ron Gibson, a former gang member who now ministers to 4,500 people each week at Life Church of God in Christ.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ml8bQDnnkKk#at=78

Why It Matters: The heretical gospel of "health and wealth" has been a staple of television for decades. But where it was once confined to obscure TV ministry channels like Trinity Broadcasting network, this new reality series will bring the prosperity gospel to a whole new audience.

While it's tempting to think these gold-chain wearing, luxury car driving preachers can be easily dismissed, we shouldn't underestimate the powerful appeal of their message. "It would be easy for young, theologically minded pastors to think of prosperity teaching as so obviously misguided that we don't consider it worthy of attention. This would be a terrible mistake, says Trevin Wax. "As pastors and church leaders, we have an obligation to preach the biblical gospel in a way that takes into consideration our current context, a setting that unfortunately is heavily influenced by the idea that God's blessing is financial and deserved."

The new series may give us an opportunity, though, to explain the difference between this gospel-less gospel and the true good news of Christ. But to do so we need to be prepared to explain why focusing on material riches makes us spiritually poor. As Al Mohler has said, "In the end, the biggest problem with prosperity theology is not that it promises too much, but that it promises far too little."

http://thegospelcoalition.org/blogs/tgc/2013/07/05/preachers-of-l-a-brings-the-prosperity-gospel-to-reality-tv/?
Report Spam   Logged

What can you do for Jesus?  Learn what 1 person can accomplish.

The Man from George Street
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkjMvPhLrn8

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Kilika
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 03:52:18 am »

Oprah doesn't believe Jesus is the way, so why does she even care? The love of money. It's an opportunity to make Christianity look bad and make some cash too for her failing channel.  Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged
Psalm 51:17
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 02:04:39 am »

When I was in India recently, they really didn't have any American news, other than what Obama had to say about the Egypt conflict and the Snowden stuff.

But when I was flipping channels in my hotel room, believe it or not they DID show broadcasts of Fred Pryce and Creflo Dollar.

Will bring this up in another discussion - but will say briefly here that with India embracing Hinduisum as their tradition, it seems like even they are embracing the modern-day Churchianity system, so it's probably not a surprise they showed broadcasts of these money-grapping preachers Pryce and Dollar.
Report Spam   Logged
Mark
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 07:18:13 am »

Bishop T.D. Jakes Rebukes Reality Show 'Preachers Of L.A.' (VIDEO)

td jakes preachers of la

“You see my Bentley, and you see my glory, but you don’t know my story!” are the unforgettable words spoken on a promo trailer for the Oxygen’s latest reality series, “Preachers of L.A.”

And while the show, which centers around the lavish lives of a group of Los Angeles megachurch pastors, reportedly netted the network’s strongest Wednesday premiere on October 9 with 1.1 million viewers, Bishop T.D. Jakes has made it clear that he doesn't want to hear any stories told by the Primetime ministers.

This past weekend, during Jakes’ Sunday morning service at his Potters House church in Dallas, the influential spiritual leader set aside a portion of his sermon to address the cast in addition to declaring that he’s “not bling-blinging” and that he’s far from being a “shake and bake” preacher.

“Now, I know you been watching that junk on TV. I want to tell you right now, not one dime of what you’re sowing right now will buy my suit. I want you to know my car is paid for. I want you to know I got my house on my own. I want you to know I’m not bling-blinging. I am not shake and bake. I had money when I came to Dallas and I plan to have some when I leave.

You did not buy what I got. I had it when I came here. You know I had it when I came here. The devil is a lie! I have sold enough books and produced enough movies. I don’t need your offering to pay for this little slimy suit. So I rebuke that spirit in the name of Jesus Christ.”

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/15/bishop-td-jakes-diss-preachers-of-la_n_4102447.html?utm
Report Spam   Logged

What can you do for Jesus?  Learn what 1 person can accomplish.

The Man from George Street
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkjMvPhLrn8
Psalm 51:17
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 12:51:24 pm »

You did not buy what I got. I had it when I came here. You know I had it when I came here. The devil is a lie! I have sold enough books and produced enough movies. I don’t need your offering to pay for this little slimy suit. So I rebuke that spirit in the name of Jesus Christ.”

Notice WHAT he said - he DIDN'T say "the devil speaks lies", he said the devil IS a lie...meaning he says it doesn't exist(!). Shocked

Matthew_12:35  A good man out of the good treasure of the heart bringeth forth good things: and an evil man out of the evil treasure bringeth forth evil things.
Report Spam   Logged
Kilika
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2013, 03:55:38 pm »

Wow!
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: