End Times and Current Events
March 28, 2024, 09:26:18 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: "Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me." John 5:39 (KJB)

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Singing hymns

Shoutbox
March 27, 2024, 12:55:24 pm Mark says: Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked  When Hamas spokesman Abu Ubaida began a speech marking the 100th day of the war in Gaza, one confounding yet eye-opening proclamation escaped the headlines. Listing the motives for the Palestinian militant group's Oct. 7 massacre in Israel, he accused Jews of "bringing red cows" to the Holy Land.
December 31, 2022, 10:08:58 am NilsFor1611 says: blessings
August 08, 2018, 02:38:10 am suzytr says: Hello, any good churches in the Sacto, CA area, also looking in Reno NV, thanks in advance and God Bless you Smiley
January 29, 2018, 01:21:57 am Christian40 says: It will be interesting to see what happens this year Israel being 70 years as a modern nation may 14 2018
October 17, 2017, 01:25:20 am Christian40 says: It is good to type Mark is here again!  Smiley
October 16, 2017, 03:28:18 am Christian40 says: anyone else thinking that time is accelerating now? it seems im doing days in shorter time now is time being affected in some way?
September 24, 2017, 10:45:16 pm Psalm 51:17 says: The specific rule pertaining to the national anthem is found on pages A62-63 of the league rulebook. It states: “The National Anthem must be played prior to every NFL game, and all players must be on the sideline for the National Anthem. “During the National Anthem, players on the field and bench area should stand at attention, face the flag, hold helmets in their left hand, and refrain from talking. The home team should ensure that the American flag is in good condition. It should be pointed out to players and coaches that we continue to be judged by the public in this area of respect for the flag and our country. Failure to be on the field by the start of the National Anthem may result in discipline, such as fines, suspensions, and/or the forfeiture of draft choice(s) for violations of the above, including first offenses.”
September 20, 2017, 04:32:32 am Christian40 says: "The most popular Hepatitis B vaccine is nothing short of a witch’s brew including aluminum, formaldehyde, yeast, amino acids, and soy. Aluminum is a known neurotoxin that destroys cellular metabolism and function. Hundreds of studies link to the ravaging effects of aluminum. The other proteins and formaldehyde serve to activate the immune system and open up the blood-brain barrier. This is NOT a good thing."
http://www.naturalnews.com/2017-08-11-new-fda-approved-hepatitis-b-vaccine-found-to-increase-heart-attack-risk-by-700.html
September 19, 2017, 03:59:21 am Christian40 says: bbc international did a video about there street preaching they are good witnesses
September 14, 2017, 08:06:04 am Psalm 51:17 says: bro Mark Hunter on YT has some good, edifying stuff too.
View Shout History
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Singing hymns  (Read 821 times)
Psalm 51:17
Global Moderator

View Profile
« on: September 05, 2013, 02:01:32 pm »

Personally, I like the traditional hymns quite a bit. However, in light of what we've been discussion about the leaven of church buildings on here recently...

In just about every church I've been to, they would spend a MAJORITY of their time doing so - on the average, around 8 a service(which is quite a bit). Yes, they're doing this b/c they feel the need for a "choir", and PAYING the "music minister"(and ultimately pleasing the pews). But nonetheless...

When you have to sing 8 hymns within the hour, not only do you feel worn out, but don't you feel you're in an "altered state of conscienceness?". I ask this b/c when you're singing many hymns together in the pews of these church buildings, you're doing so with who-knows-how-many UNBELIEVERS, and to boot you are uttering a MULTITUDE OF WORDS toward the Lord.

Ecc 5:2  Be not rash with thy mouth, and let not thine heart be hasty to utter any thing before God: for God is in heaven, and thou upon earth: therefore let thy words be few.
Ecc 5:3  For a dream cometh through the multitude of business; and a fool's voice is known by multitude of words.

Not that I endorse Fritz Springmeier, but in his writings, he talked extensively over mind control going on in these churches, and it made me think of this for some reason.

Was wondering what everyone here thinks?
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 10:55:33 pm »

Again, I love the traditional hymns(the 1700s and 1800s hymn writers bore good fruit), but they seem to sing TOO many of them in these 1 hour services...

Rev 18:21  And a mighty angel took up a stone like a great millstone, and cast it into the sea, saying, Thus with violence shall that great city Babylon be thrown down, and shall be found no more at all.
Rev 18:22  And the voice of harpers, and musicians, and of pipers, and trumpeters, shall be heard no more at all in thee; and no craftsman, of whatsoever craft he be, shall be found any more in thee; and the sound of a millstone shall be heard no more at all in thee;

Ezekiel 28:13  Thou hast been in Eden the garden of God; every precious stone was thy covering, the sardius, topaz, and the diamond, the beryl, the onyx, and the jasper, the sapphire, the emerald, and the carbuncle, and gold: the workmanship of thy tabrets and of thy pipes was prepared in thee in the day that thou wast created.
Eze 28:14  Thou art the anointed cherub that covereth; and I have set thee so: thou wast upon the holy mountain of God; thou hast walked up and down in the midst of the stones of fire.
Eze 28:15  Thou wast perfect in thy ways from the day that thou wast created, till iniquity was found in thee.
Eze 28:16  By the multitude of thy merchandise they have filled the midst of thee with violence, and thou hast sinned: therefore I will cast thee as profane out of the mountain of God: and I will destroy thee, O covering cherub, from the midst of the stones of fire.
Eze 28:17  Thine heart was lifted up because of thy beauty, thou hast corrupted thy wisdom by reason of thy brightness: I will cast thee to the ground, I will lay thee before kings, that they may behold thee.
Eze 28:18  Thou hast defiled thy sanctuaries by the multitude of thine iniquities, by the iniquity of thy traffick; therefore will I bring forth a fire from the midst of thee, it shall devour thee, and I will bring thee to ashes upon the earth in the sight of all them that behold thee.
Report Spam   Logged
Kilika
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 03:10:06 am »

I dislike any "hymns" of churchianity, period. They grieve the Spirit.

To me, they are NOT a "joyful noise", but rather like you mention, a form of brainwashing.

The Word of God is the only hymn we are to sing if words are involved. There's a whole book of songs God provided, but apparently man thought that wasn't enough, that he could write better songs!
Report Spam   Logged
Christian40
Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2013, 07:44:11 pm »

If the hymns are scripturally correct i like them,

Even Jesus sang a hymn!

Matthew 26:30 And when they had sung an hymn, they went out into the mount of Olives.

Mark 14:26 And when they had sung an hymn, they went out into the mount of Olives.

What hymn they sang i dont know

And Paul encourages it

Ephesians 5:19 Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord; 

Colossians 3:16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.

But i will say that i dont like hymns that make no sense, it would be better to have more preaching than too many singing hymns.
Report Spam   Logged
FervorForFaith

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2013, 02:30:07 am »

I like hymns. If the song is Biblically correct, I see no problem with it at all. I personally enjoy singing "When Peace Like a River Attendeth", myself.

At my church, we do 3 songs a service. Two before the sermon, one after. I don't think that's too many, but when you get beyond that, absolutely.
Report Spam   Logged

God gave us minds, let's use them.
Kilika
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2013, 03:35:05 am »

Hymns definitely are biblical. Thanks Christian for pointing out the disciples. What they sang I have little doubt was hymns/songs from the book of Psalms.

Words written by man that are not scripture? No thanks. God gave us plenty in scripture. To me, any "hymn" that is not scripture is the same as using a fake bible with the words changed.

Not surprising they'd sing them in those "church" buildings. Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged
FervorForFaith

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2013, 07:10:15 pm »

Hymns definitely are biblical. Thanks Christian for pointing out the disciples. What they sang I have little doubt was hymns/songs from the book of Psalms.

Words written by man that are not scripture? No thanks. God gave us plenty in scripture. To me, any "hymn" that is not scripture is the same as using a fake bible with the words changed.

Not surprising they'd sing them in those "church" buildings. Roll Eyes

Ephesians 5:19 Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord;

The psalms, obviously, are from the Book of Psalms. But it also says AND hymns and spiritual songs. That means ANY song or hymn that gives glory and honor to the Lord is good in the Lord's sight. As long as it conforms to His Word, there isn't a problem. We aren't legalist.

Singing a song to the Lord that isn't from scripture is like using a perverted Bible? What?
Report Spam   Logged

Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2013, 07:31:42 pm »

The psalms, obviously, are from the Book of Psalms. But it also says AND hymns and spiritual songs. That means ANY song or hymn that gives glory and honor to the Lord is good in the Lord's sight. As long as it conforms to His Word, there isn't a problem. We aren't legalist.

Singing a song to the Lord that isn't from scripture is like using a perverted Bible? What?

What Kilika was saying is that the hymn words should be from scripture word for word. Personally, I would prefer this the best b/c I would rather stick to God's word word for word KJV.

With that being said, IMHO, I like some of the 1700 and 1800 hymn writers alot, but anyone from the 1900s and on I avoid b/c they tend to be caught up in all of this post-Wescott and Hort perversions and modern-day pop culture.
Report Spam   Logged
Kilika
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2013, 03:07:49 am »

So what makes you think that "hymns and spiritual songs" are not words from the book of Psalms? What verses show you that they are just any song that praises God?

Many men have written all kinds of words that appear to praise God, songs included, but that doesn't make them godly or edifying.

By the way, the Word of God is THE law, so yes, we are in fact "legalist"! A more doctrinally correct way to put that is we are no longer under the law, but the Word still stands for those under the law.

Prove me wrong with scripture then.

If the words are not the words of God, scripture, then what would you call them? What do you call books that claim to be bibles and are not and are nothing but words changed by man? It's not okay to use man's words as scripture, but it's okay for songs? Are you sure about that?

I go even further and say that just speaking the Word is singing spiritual songs. His Word IS a hymn. ALL of His Word glorifies Him, and we do in fact rejoice at His Word.

If it didn't really matter who wrote the words, then why does God make such an effort to point out in scripture the power of His Word, who by the way is Jesus Christ?

There MUST be a separation between what is His Word, and what is not, so we know who the real Jesus is!
Report Spam   Logged
FervorForFaith

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2013, 08:37:41 pm »

Kilika, nobody is saying that man-written hymns are the Word of God. They aren't. But they are praise and worship to God.

If what you say is true, then we can't say our own prayers, either. We can only pray the Lord's prayer and psalms, because those are the Word of God, and our prayers are not.
Report Spam   Logged

Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2013, 10:39:37 pm »

Anyhow, the point of this thread is that the modern-day church building system just focuses TOO much on music. From what Bryan exposed in his audio last week, the Roman Catholic Church puts a lot of focus on music in their "worship" services. Unfortunately, the organized church building system has adopted a lot of these Roman Catholic traditions.

Ultimately, at least from my experiences, singing TOO many hymns not only wears the pews out(it does to me too), but it feels like we're getting into an "altered state of consciouseness" - this is rather expected b/c the bible warns about vain repetitions and a multitude of words in prayers(and worshipping with unbelievers to add to this).

To be frank, I'm not surprised at all that even the IFB crowd has slowly but surely bought into this CCM nonsense - Problem. Reaction. Solution. Now that the music directors and pews are tired of all this multitude of hymn singing, why not try something "new"?
Report Spam   Logged
Kilika
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2013, 01:50:27 am »

Kilika, nobody is saying that man-written hymns are the Word of God. They aren't. But they are praise and worship to God.

If what you say is true, then we can't say our own prayers, either. We can only pray the Lord's prayer and psalms, because those are the Word of God, and our prayers are not.

Now your getting it! But I never said that people were claiming their words were God's words. All I'm saying is people are singing and praying wrong because they have listened to man and not God on how to sing and pray.

Point blank, churchianity is dead wrong on this.

Fact is, scripture tells us that we don't know how to pray...

"Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered." Romans 8:26 (KJB)

"Be not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him." Matthew 6:8 (KJB)

So if we don't know how to pray, then what do we pray? You guessed it, the Lord's prayer, just like Jesus said to pray.

Remember, Jesus says that if you ask anything in His name, He will do it, right? I assure you, He was not saying for a person to end their prayer with, "in Jesus' name".

What He means is pray in His name, in His Word. His Word is the ONLY thing guaranteed. It's the ONLY thing we can count on that WILL be done, His will. It's not about us, it's about His will being done.

Yes, I do communicate with God, talking to Him in my thoughts. I do it all the time every day. And I believe as scripture comes to mind, it's the Spirit talking to me, giving me His Word, bringing it to my remembrance, just like He promised. But I pray in His Word, the Lord's prayer, and that's it because I believe that prayer is heard and WILL be answered, and because that is what Jesus told us to do. If you pray, or sing, in His name, He WILL do it.

9 After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.
10 Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as [it is] in heaven.
11 Give us this day our daily bread.
12 And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.
13 And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.
Matthew 6:9-13 (KJB)
Report Spam   Logged
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2013, 02:36:42 pm »

Apparently, a lot of these hymn writers were Methodists.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methodism

Excerpt:

Methodism is characterised by its emphasis on helping the poor and the average person, its very systematic approach to building the person, and the "church" and its missionary spirit.[2] These ideals are put into practice by the establishment of hospitals, universities, orphanages, soup kitchens, and schools to follow Jesus' command to spread the Good News and serve all people.[3] The Methodist movement is also known for its rich musical tradition. Charles Wesley was instrumental in writing much of the hymnody of the Methodist Church,[4] and many other eminent hymn writers come from the Methodist tradition.
Report Spam   Logged
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2013, 11:52:06 am »

As I've said, I've really liked the hymn books in the pews, just as long as they were written by 1700's and 1800's hymn writers - but nonetheless when I was looking through the hymn book at church yesterday, I noticed a couple of Chuck Smith's Marantha! Music stuff being slipped in. We sang one of them, and to be frank, it sure didn't make any sense doctrinally.
Report Spam   Logged
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2013, 09:47:40 pm »

Apparently, prior to the 19th century, the only hymns that were sung were out of the book of Psalms(and with no musical instruments accompanying it). Source is from a link talking about DL Moody's bio...

http://www.believersweb.org/view.cfm?ID=82

Excerpt:

Now being invited to Scotland, the evangelists began in Edinburgh on November 23. For hundreds of years, only Psalms had been sung here with no musical instruments. Now Sankey began "singing the Gospel" and crowds packed out the 2,000-seat auditorium. By the time the last service was over on January 20th, Moody was receiving requests from all over the British Isles. They spent two weeks in Dundee and then began the Glasgow, Scotland, crusade on February 8, 1874. These meetings soon moved into the 4,000-seat Crystal Palace and after three months climaxed with a service at the famed Botanic Gardens Palace. Moody was unable to even enter the building surrounded by 15,000 to 30,000 people, so he spoke to them from a carriage and the choir sang from the roof of a nearby shed! Later the team returned to Edinburgh for a May 24 meeting held on the slopes of "Arthur's Seat" with a crowd of 20,000. An estimated 3,500 converts were won in each of these two places.

Report Spam   Logged
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2013, 01:39:04 am »

Was reading this the other day...

1Cor 14:6  Now, brethren, if I come unto you speaking with tongues, what shall I profit you, except I shall speak to you either by revelation, or by knowledge, or by prophesying, or by doctrine?
1Co 14:7  And even things without life giving sound, whether pipe or harp, except they give a distinction in the sounds, how shall it be known what is piped or harped?
1Co 14:8  For if the trumpet give an uncertain sound, who shall prepare himself to the battle?
1Co 14:9  So likewise ye, except ye utter by the tongue words easy to be understood, how shall it be known what is spoken? for ye shall speak into the air.
1Co 14:10  There are, it may be, so many kinds of voices in the world, and none of them is without signification.
1Co 14:11  Therefore if I know not the meaning of the voice, I shall be unto him that speaketh a barbarian, and he that speaketh shall be a barbarian unto me.

When you're just singing so many hymns for a long stretch, doesn't it feel just like that - that you're uttering words not easy to be understood, speaking words into the air, knowing not the meaning of the voice, coming off as a barbarian to others, etc? And to boot you're really not speaking by doctrine?
Report Spam   Logged
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2014, 11:40:09 am »

Notice at the 30 second mark - they're singing the SAME hymns you see in the typical "hymn book" at these 501c3 corporate "church" buildings.

Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: