End Times and Current Events
March 28, 2024, 01:43:13 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: "Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me." John 5:39 (KJB)

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Keeping your PC at a fast pace

Shoutbox
March 27, 2024, 12:55:24 pm Mark says: Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked  When Hamas spokesman Abu Ubaida began a speech marking the 100th day of the war in Gaza, one confounding yet eye-opening proclamation escaped the headlines. Listing the motives for the Palestinian militant group's Oct. 7 massacre in Israel, he accused Jews of "bringing red cows" to the Holy Land.
December 31, 2022, 10:08:58 am NilsFor1611 says: blessings
August 08, 2018, 02:38:10 am suzytr says: Hello, any good churches in the Sacto, CA area, also looking in Reno NV, thanks in advance and God Bless you Smiley
January 29, 2018, 01:21:57 am Christian40 says: It will be interesting to see what happens this year Israel being 70 years as a modern nation may 14 2018
October 17, 2017, 01:25:20 am Christian40 says: It is good to type Mark is here again!  Smiley
October 16, 2017, 03:28:18 am Christian40 says: anyone else thinking that time is accelerating now? it seems im doing days in shorter time now is time being affected in some way?
September 24, 2017, 10:45:16 pm Psalm 51:17 says: The specific rule pertaining to the national anthem is found on pages A62-63 of the league rulebook. It states: “The National Anthem must be played prior to every NFL game, and all players must be on the sideline for the National Anthem. “During the National Anthem, players on the field and bench area should stand at attention, face the flag, hold helmets in their left hand, and refrain from talking. The home team should ensure that the American flag is in good condition. It should be pointed out to players and coaches that we continue to be judged by the public in this area of respect for the flag and our country. Failure to be on the field by the start of the National Anthem may result in discipline, such as fines, suspensions, and/or the forfeiture of draft choice(s) for violations of the above, including first offenses.”
September 20, 2017, 04:32:32 am Christian40 says: "The most popular Hepatitis B vaccine is nothing short of a witch’s brew including aluminum, formaldehyde, yeast, amino acids, and soy. Aluminum is a known neurotoxin that destroys cellular metabolism and function. Hundreds of studies link to the ravaging effects of aluminum. The other proteins and formaldehyde serve to activate the immune system and open up the blood-brain barrier. This is NOT a good thing."
http://www.naturalnews.com/2017-08-11-new-fda-approved-hepatitis-b-vaccine-found-to-increase-heart-attack-risk-by-700.html
September 19, 2017, 03:59:21 am Christian40 says: bbc international did a video about there street preaching they are good witnesses
September 14, 2017, 08:06:04 am Psalm 51:17 says: bro Mark Hunter on YT has some good, edifying stuff too.
View Shout History
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Keeping your PC at a fast pace  (Read 419 times)
Psalm 51:17
Global Moderator

View Profile
« on: September 12, 2013, 01:33:09 pm »

I have a question for everyone here keeping your PC at a fast pace...

Personally, I'll admit that before my PC crashed this morning, I saved WAY too many things in my favorites(links, news articles, YT videos, etc), and there were times when I had WAY too many web browers open at the same time since February which was the last time I got it fixed. I also saved alot of PDF files.

Ultimately - my PC slowed down since then, and slowed down tremendously over time, to the point where it would freeze et al, and I would have to reboot it.

What advice would you give me to keep my PC in decent running fast shape, and not get into this kind of shape? Thankfully, the 1-800 tech people walked me through and I was able to reconfigure et al my OS to full recovery without the reinstallation disk(which I can't find). Lost all of my data, but no big deal as again, I'm thankful I didn't have to send it in to the tech people for another 10-14 days, and I don't have to deal with a SLOW PC(at least for awhile)! Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Kilika
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 02:47:17 pm »

Typically, the reason a pc for most users slows down like you describe, has to do with "processes" that are running "in the back ground". Some websites like to dump small applications into your pc that will "phone home" from your pc, looking for updates, feeds, etc, which are innocent enough, but some are not so nice and are looking for access to your pc.

Regardless of the intent of these type apps, you can only run so many processes at a time based on your hardware/ram, etc., till it is tasked with too many things to do at once, thus performance for all slows to a crawl, and can eventually "lockup", typically requiring a simple power down and reboot.

Ctrl+Alt+Delete to open "Task Manager". Then click tab for "Processes". Then you want to see what processes are running for the main admin account for the pc, so at the top it says "user" for the second row. Click the word "user" to select which profiles, and make sure it says, typically, "admin" all the way down the list  of processes running. Now you can see all applications that are running live on your pc. Get familiar with that list, as the vast majority are normal and needed for something you use on your pc, either factory installed or installed by you. You can widen the columns to better view details of each.

This is also where to go when you load a website that hangs up loading, so that the page freezes and won't respond, then suddenly you get somewhere on the page an ad that is a Flash dynamic ad that crashed. Go to "Task Manager" and the frozen Flash plugin process will be very obvious high number in the "usage" column in the list. Select it, then right click and "End Process".  Then the webpage will unfreeze, and there will be some ad somewhere on the page that is now greyed out saying Flash crashed. Duh!  Roll Eyes I hate Adobe Flash.

The amount of things you have listed in your Windows Favorites has zero effect on the performance of you pc. That content, which are tiny links data, are stored on your hard drive like any other file type. Very small.

A PDF file is just a file type stored somewhere on you hard drive. Has some dynamic features to include links and stuff, but that only is used when the file is open and your looking at it. Otherwise, it's just a dormant file like a Word or Excel document. Even so, most PDF files aren't very big, but can be, and they too don't affect the pc till you open them.

The easiest thing to do to keep your pc basically clean from those various thigns being dumped in your pc is to use...

1) Spy Bot Search and Destroy

2) Malware Bytes

Both at least HAD free versions that worked fine, and I'm sure SpyBot is still free. Run both of those as each may not have all the latest bugs listed. Both takes several minutes. Malware runs a bit longer. Very basic and easy to use. And they work. Been using both of those for years now.

Another thing that should be part of your "Scheduled Maintenance" is to make sure you keep your Internet Temp Files cleaned out. It's in "Internet Options". That is also where you would clear all cookies which can build up over time and slow things down as some of those cookies are "phoning home", using up your resources. You can select those certain cookies you know you use for sites you know and log in to like "End Times". Technically, for security logic reasons, you really shouldn't have any auto sign ins to websites, and manually enter the user and password each visit. But people are quick to let Google remember all their passwords!  Roll Eyes

BAD idea.

Try that out, but from the sounds of it, you recently did a repair "reformat" of the hard drive? You said you lost data. Which would happen if it's not saved somewhere off the pc like on a usb drive or cd.

After a reformat, it should be running as fast as it's designed because you just erased what was on it. It's all gone, then some is re-installed when Windows installs. But things like drives many times need to be manually re-installed. And of course, the infamous Flash, Java, and Adobe apps, as well as any peripheral devices possibly.

Let me know how it goes...
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 02:49:08 pm by Kilika » Report Spam   Logged
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 03:01:04 pm »

Thank you for all the advice here - to be honest, no, most of the data on my PC wasn't important. The ones I paid most attention too were the PDF files from Scott and Bryan when they put out their audios(which I recopied going back to the New Years onto my flashdrive instead, so that I don't have to worry if this happens again). And most of the links I saved in my favorites weren't important either.

As for clearing the cookies, temp files, etc - I'll admit, I've been very lazy when it comes to wanting to store passwords permanently(for some reason, didn't want to re-login every time). BUT I will take your advice here and not auto store them.

Thank you for the Spy Bot Search and Destroy and Malware Bytes advice. Can you download them online for free somewhere?

I had no choice but to have my previous data erased b/c I couldn't get back in to my PC - BUT, at least it's up and running fast. Will definitely keep the Task Manager thing in mind.

Thank you again!
Report Spam   Logged
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 04:11:52 pm »

One more question - Is Kaspersky OK instead? The reason why I'm asking is b/c I got it last Dec, and the subscription is for 3 years, so I might as well stick with it.
Report Spam   Logged
Kilika
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2013, 04:33:50 am »

Kaspersky seems okay. If this is working for you, those other two may not be needed, however, it doesn't hurt to run more than one app to make sure all is clean.

Malwarebytes
http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html?part=dl-10804572&subj=dl&tag=button

Spybot
http://www.safer-networking.org/dl/

Now if your feeling really geeky, you can go to "GeeksToGo" website/forum, and work with them on issues. I've used them a couple times when I had some bad stuff to fix (where I learned of Malwarebytes and a couple others they use). They have techs that will work with you free, telling you what to do each step. Be patient as it gets a bit technical. Just do as they say, and go from there.
Report Spam   Logged
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2013, 12:13:44 am »

Thank you very much - so far, so GREAT! Smiley With the Malware Bytes + deleting cookies and temp files/history every time I log out, everything is running MUCH faster, and consistently to boot!
Report Spam   Logged
Kilika
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2013, 02:34:50 am »

It's just like maintaining a car. It needs regular maintenance to keep it running smooth.  Wink
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: