End Times and Current Events
March 28, 2024, 03:38:28 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: "Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me." John 5:39 (KJB)

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Woman Turning into 'Human Statue' Gets Bionic Arm

Shoutbox
March 27, 2024, 12:55:24 pm Mark says: Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked  When Hamas spokesman Abu Ubaida began a speech marking the 100th day of the war in Gaza, one confounding yet eye-opening proclamation escaped the headlines. Listing the motives for the Palestinian militant group's Oct. 7 massacre in Israel, he accused Jews of "bringing red cows" to the Holy Land.
December 31, 2022, 10:08:58 am NilsFor1611 says: blessings
August 08, 2018, 02:38:10 am suzytr says: Hello, any good churches in the Sacto, CA area, also looking in Reno NV, thanks in advance and God Bless you Smiley
January 29, 2018, 01:21:57 am Christian40 says: It will be interesting to see what happens this year Israel being 70 years as a modern nation may 14 2018
October 17, 2017, 01:25:20 am Christian40 says: It is good to type Mark is here again!  Smiley
October 16, 2017, 03:28:18 am Christian40 says: anyone else thinking that time is accelerating now? it seems im doing days in shorter time now is time being affected in some way?
September 24, 2017, 10:45:16 pm Psalm 51:17 says: The specific rule pertaining to the national anthem is found on pages A62-63 of the league rulebook. It states: “The National Anthem must be played prior to every NFL game, and all players must be on the sideline for the National Anthem. “During the National Anthem, players on the field and bench area should stand at attention, face the flag, hold helmets in their left hand, and refrain from talking. The home team should ensure that the American flag is in good condition. It should be pointed out to players and coaches that we continue to be judged by the public in this area of respect for the flag and our country. Failure to be on the field by the start of the National Anthem may result in discipline, such as fines, suspensions, and/or the forfeiture of draft choice(s) for violations of the above, including first offenses.”
September 20, 2017, 04:32:32 am Christian40 says: "The most popular Hepatitis B vaccine is nothing short of a witch’s brew including aluminum, formaldehyde, yeast, amino acids, and soy. Aluminum is a known neurotoxin that destroys cellular metabolism and function. Hundreds of studies link to the ravaging effects of aluminum. The other proteins and formaldehyde serve to activate the immune system and open up the blood-brain barrier. This is NOT a good thing."
http://www.naturalnews.com/2017-08-11-new-fda-approved-hepatitis-b-vaccine-found-to-increase-heart-attack-risk-by-700.html
September 19, 2017, 03:59:21 am Christian40 says: bbc international did a video about there street preaching they are good witnesses
September 14, 2017, 08:06:04 am Psalm 51:17 says: bro Mark Hunter on YT has some good, edifying stuff too.
View Shout History
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Woman Turning into 'Human Statue' Gets Bionic Arm  (Read 441 times)
Psalm 51:17
Global Moderator

View Profile
« on: October 19, 2013, 12:04:00 pm »

Woman Turning into 'Human Statue' Gets Bionic Arm
10/19/13
http://news.yahoo.com/woman-turning-human-statue-gets-bionic-arm-114912249.html

At age 3, Ashley Kurpiel was diagnosed with cancerous tumors in her right arm. Only after doctors surgically removed the young girl's arm and shoulder did they discover that she didn't have cancer.

Instead, Kurpiel, 31, has an extremely rare genetic condition known as fibrodysplasia ossificans progressiva, or FOP. The disease is sometimes called "stone man syndrome," because the muscles, tendons and ligaments of people with the disease are gradually turned to bone. "I describe it today like saying 'I'm turning into a human statue,'" Kurpiel told CBS Denver.

Doctors at the Denver Clinic for Extremities at Risk have now given Kurpiel a hand — literally. She was outfitted with a prosthetic arm that attaches to her torso. Sensors on her myoelectric arm prosthesis can detect minute electrical charges created when Kurpiel twitches a muscle. Small motors in the battery-powered arm respond to those twitches, allowing her to move her new prosthetic arm and hand. [The 9 Most Bizarre Medical Conditions]

Kurpiel is one of about 800 confirmed cases of FOP worldwide, according to the International Fibrodysplasia Ossificans Progressiva Association (IFOPA). The disease strikes men and women equally, and it usually appears in childhood. One of the first signs of FOP is a deformation of the big toe; flare-ups of the disease can occur spontaneously or can follow common events like a fall while playing, an immunization shot or a viral illness like a cold or flu.

There's no known cure for FOP, but in 2006, researchers at the University of Pennsylvania isolated the gene responsible for the disease. Known as the ACVR1 gene, it directs the growth and development of bones and muscles, according to the National Institutes of Health. It's believed that a mutation leaves this gene stuck in the "on" position, resulting in an overgrowth of bone and the fusion of joints over time.

People with FOP gradually lose control of most of their limbs. "Eventually, I will be immobile from head to toe," Kurpiel told CBS. Nonetheless, she remains active and has learned how to surf using a modified board; she plans on taking a cruise in December.

"I've been blessed to meet so many truly amazing people, especially the Dalai Lama — that was a real honor," Kurpiel told the Daily Mail, referring to the religious leader, whom she met in 2007. She's also quickly adjusting to life with her new prosthetic arm, which enables her to hold a drink, handle a cellphone and eat.

"I put a cookie in there and just go for it," Kurpiel told CBS.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Mark
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2013, 02:34:42 pm »

"I've been blessed to meet so many truly amazing people, especially the Dalai Lama — that was a real honor," Kurpiel told the Daily Mail, referring to the religious leader, whom she met in 2007.

She needs to meet Jesus Christ. Lord please send a witness to this woman so that she may know the truth of your saving Grace and have her eyes opened to the new-age lies she has been opened too. amen
Report Spam   Logged

What can you do for Jesus?  Learn what 1 person can accomplish.

The Man from George Street
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkjMvPhLrn8
Psalm 51:17
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 04:54:56 pm »

http://health.yahoo.net/experts/dayinhealth/paralyzed-mom-walks-again-robotic-exoskeleton
Paralyzed Mom Walks Again With Robotic Exoskeleton

2/19/14

When Marcela Turnage, 32, got out of her wheelchair and took her first steps with the aid of a robotic exoskeleton, she was so excited that she started screaming.

“It was so amazing. I was overwhelmed with joy,” says the 32-year-old mom from Baltimore. Following a 2002 car accident that killed her boyfriend, Turnage, then 19, was paralyzed from the waist down due to a spinal cord injury. Doctors told her she would never walk again.

Today, she is one of a growing number of patients who are regaining mobility with the FDA-approved ReWalk exoskeleton. The bionic suit helps people with spinal cord injuries walk by using accelerometers (akin to those in iPhones) to  detect subtle changes in their balance. 

The suit, worn outside of clothing, moves the users’ legs in a natural gait, while the person uses crutches for stability, explains Peter Gorman, MD, associate professor of neurology at the University of Maryland School of Medicine and chief of the division of rehabilitation at the University of Maryland Rehabilitation & Orthopaedic Institute (UMROI).

“I find this technology extremely exciting—and patients really love getting out of their wheelchairs and walking with this system,” says Dr. Gorman, who is planning a small study of the benefits of the ReWalk device, which costs about $80,000. The bionic suit is currently available at about two dozen rehab facilities in the United States, according to its manufacturer.

“An exhilarating sense of freedom”

Marcela Turnage, photo courtesy University of Maryland Rehabilitation & Orthopaedic InstituteTurnage says that using the exoskeleton twice a week in her rehab sessions at UMROI has brought her “happiness, hope, and an exhilarating sense of freedom.”

During her 11 years in a wheelchair, Turnage attended college, found a new love, got married, and had a daughter, now age 7. She also works full time and is able to drive, using a car with special hand controls.

When Turange started using the ReWalk device in September 2013, “I felt like a baby again, learning to take my first steps," she says. "My first reaction was to be a little bit afraid, not knowing what to expect.”

Using the robotic device was particularly challenging for Turnage because she wears a prosthesis on her left leg, which was amputated above the knee after the accident.

I have always lived with a feeling of shame about not having my leg,” Turnage says. “But when I stood up and walked for the first time, the incredible joy erased that shame,”

The mom adds, “Learning to use ReWalk is a process and every time I wear it, I learn something new. I can feel myself getting stronger.”

The Exoskeleton’s Surprising Health Benefits

While helping paralyzed people walk again is the most obvious benefit, says Dr. Gorman, “the ReWalk exoskeleton also appears to improve their health by improving digestion and bowel function, which can be adversely affected by years of sitting in a wheelchair[/b].”

The manufacturer reports that the bionic suit, designed for spinal cord injury patients who retain use of their arms, may also help reduce several other disorders linked to long-term wheelchair use, including bone thinning, pressure sores, and problems with breathing, blood circulation, and urination.

There are currently two models: the ReWalk Rehab 2.0, which is FDA-approved for use in clinical settings, such as rehab centers, and a personal version for home use, which is currently available in Europe and is awaiting FDA clearance for use in the US.

Helping Paralyzed People Stand Tall—and Walk Freely

Turnage reports that the exoskeleton has had another amazing effect. “I have pretty strong pain from sitting in a wheelchair for so many years, but using the robot has minimalized my pain level. I can feel all the pain in my body going away.”

Along with combatting her chronic pain, the device has literally helped the mom stand tall. “It’s so wonderful to be able to see people eye-to-eye with no help from anyone. The more I’ve trained in walking with the robot, the more I feel independent.”

In addition, she says, “Using this device is all about hope, that people with spinal cord injuries shouldn’t give up. Today, it’s the ReWalk and tomorrow, something even better will come along—maybe even the cure.”           

Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: