End Times and Current Events
March 29, 2024, 10:00:29 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome To End Times and Current Events.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

What is "preaching"?

Shoutbox
March 27, 2024, 12:55:24 pm Mark says: Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked  When Hamas spokesman Abu Ubaida began a speech marking the 100th day of the war in Gaza, one confounding yet eye-opening proclamation escaped the headlines. Listing the motives for the Palestinian militant group's Oct. 7 massacre in Israel, he accused Jews of "bringing red cows" to the Holy Land.
December 31, 2022, 10:08:58 am NilsFor1611 says: blessings
August 08, 2018, 02:38:10 am suzytr says: Hello, any good churches in the Sacto, CA area, also looking in Reno NV, thanks in advance and God Bless you Smiley
January 29, 2018, 01:21:57 am Christian40 says: It will be interesting to see what happens this year Israel being 70 years as a modern nation may 14 2018
October 17, 2017, 01:25:20 am Christian40 says: It is good to type Mark is here again!  Smiley
October 16, 2017, 03:28:18 am Christian40 says: anyone else thinking that time is accelerating now? it seems im doing days in shorter time now is time being affected in some way?
September 24, 2017, 10:45:16 pm Psalm 51:17 says: The specific rule pertaining to the national anthem is found on pages A62-63 of the league rulebook. It states: “The National Anthem must be played prior to every NFL game, and all players must be on the sideline for the National Anthem. “During the National Anthem, players on the field and bench area should stand at attention, face the flag, hold helmets in their left hand, and refrain from talking. The home team should ensure that the American flag is in good condition. It should be pointed out to players and coaches that we continue to be judged by the public in this area of respect for the flag and our country. Failure to be on the field by the start of the National Anthem may result in discipline, such as fines, suspensions, and/or the forfeiture of draft choice(s) for violations of the above, including first offenses.”
September 20, 2017, 04:32:32 am Christian40 says: "The most popular Hepatitis B vaccine is nothing short of a witch’s brew including aluminum, formaldehyde, yeast, amino acids, and soy. Aluminum is a known neurotoxin that destroys cellular metabolism and function. Hundreds of studies link to the ravaging effects of aluminum. The other proteins and formaldehyde serve to activate the immune system and open up the blood-brain barrier. This is NOT a good thing."
http://www.naturalnews.com/2017-08-11-new-fda-approved-hepatitis-b-vaccine-found-to-increase-heart-attack-risk-by-700.html
September 19, 2017, 03:59:21 am Christian40 says: bbc international did a video about there street preaching they are good witnesses
September 14, 2017, 08:06:04 am Psalm 51:17 says: bro Mark Hunter on YT has some good, edifying stuff too.
View Shout History
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is "preaching"?  (Read 603 times)
Psalm 51:17
Global Moderator

View Profile
« on: October 19, 2013, 01:14:55 pm »

Something I've been thinking about for awhile - for years and years and years going into these church buildings, couldn't tell you how many times I've heard pastors raising their voices when they preach their sermons. I don't know their intentions - 1) Whether to try to manipulate their pews, or 2) If they really think yelling at them would get their attention, and get them to realize they're sinners. Even Charles Spurgeon once said(and I'm paraphrasing here) that good preaching would pierce someone's heart with a needle.

But what do the scriptures have to say about this?

Luke 4:17  And there was delivered unto him the book of the prophet Esaias. And when he had opened the book, he found the place where it was written,
Luk 4:18  The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised,
Luk 4:19  To preach the acceptable year of the Lord.
Luk 4:20  And he closed the book, and he gave it again to the minister, and sat down. And the eyes of all them that were in the synagogue were fastened on him.
Luk 4:21  And he began to say unto them, This day is this scripture fulfilled in your ears.
Luk 4:22  And all bare him witness, and wondered at the gracious words which proceeded out of his mouth. And they said, Is not this Joseph's son?

As you can see here - did Jesus scream and yell when he read these words? No, b/c they wondered at the GRACIOUS WORDS that proceeded out of his mouth!

1Cor_4:19  But I will come to you shortly, if the Lord will, and will know, not the speech of them which are puffed up, but the power.

Col_4:6  Let your speech be alway with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man.

Luke 4:33  And in the synagogue there was a man, which had a spirit of an unclean devil, and cried out with a loud voice,
Luk 4:34  Saying, Let us alone; what have we to do with thee, thou Jesus of Nazareth? art thou come to destroy us? I know thee who thou art; the Holy One of God.
Luk 4:35  And Jesus rebuked him, saying, Hold thy peace, and come out of him. And when the devil had thrown him in the midst, he came out of him, and hurt him not.

And here's another passage - Jesus did NOT even yell at devils either! All he said was "Hold they peace, and come out of him".

James 2:19  Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.

Now look at this passage...

Matthew 12:17  That it might be fulfilled which was spoken by Esaias the prophet, saying,
Mat 12:18  Behold my servant, whom I have chosen; my beloved, in whom my soul is well pleased: I will put my spirit upon him, and he shall shew judgment to the Gentiles.
Mat 12:19  He shall not strive, nor cry; neither shall any man hear his voice in the streets.

Did you catch that last verse?

And last, but not least - over the years when I hear about these Spurgeon types, they say how they leave their listeners spellbound with their preaching. Spellbound?

Acts 8:9  But there was a certain man, called Simon, which beforetime in the same city used sorcery, and bewitched the people of Samaria, giving out that himself was some great one:
Act 8:10  To whom they all gave heed, from the least to the greatest, saying, This man is the great power of God.
Act 8:11  And to him they had regard, because that of long time he had bewitched them with sorceries.

You all know the rest of the passage where he thought he could have the power to give the Holy Ghost to others if he payed money for it. But interesting that these same pastors who use a lot of yelling in their preaching for years and years and years also leave their listeners spellbound. They said the same about Billy Graham leaving everyone spellbound at his "crusades"(ie-polls showed that like 98% of converts at his crusades fell away from the faith). Makes you wonder why there's a lot of false converts in these church buildings.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Mark
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013, 12:19:02 pm »

Ever read this?

Neh 8:1  And all the people gathered themselves together as one man into the street that was before the water gate; and they spake unto Ezra the scribe to bring the book of the law of Moses, which the LORD had commanded to Israel.
Neh 8:2  And Ezra the priest brought the law before the congregation both of men and women, and all that could hear with understanding, upon the first day of the seventh month.
Neh 8:3  And he read therein before the street that was before the water gate from the morning until midday, before the men and the women, and those that could understand; and the ears of all the people were attentive unto the book of the law.
Neh 8:4  And Ezra the scribe stood upon a pulpit of wood, which they had made for the purpose; and beside him stood Mattithiah, and Shema, and Anaiah, and Urijah, and Hilkiah, and Maaseiah, on his right hand; and on his left hand, Pedaiah, and Mishael, and Malchiah, and Hashum, and Hashbadana, Zechariah, and Meshullam.
Neh 8:5  And Ezra opened the book in the sight of all the people; (for he was above all the people;) and when he opened it, all the people stood up:
Neh 8:6  And Ezra blessed the LORD, the great God. And all the people answered, Amen, Amen, with lifting up their hands: and they bowed their heads, and worshipped the LORD with their faces to the ground.
Neh 8:7  Also Jeshua, and Bani, and Sherebiah, Jamin, Akkub, Shabbethai, Hodijah, Maaseiah, Kelita, Azariah, Jozabad, Hanan, Pelaiah, and the Levites, caused the people to understand the law: and the people stood in their place.
Neh 8:8  So they read in the book in the law of God distinctly, and gave the sense, and caused them to understand the reading.
Neh 8:9  And Nehemiah, which is the Tirshatha, and Ezra the priest the scribe, and the Levites that taught the people, said unto all the people, This day is holy unto the LORD your God; mourn not, nor weep. For all the people wept, when they heard the words of the law.
Neh 8:10  Then he said unto them, Go your way, eat the fat, and drink the sweet, and send portions unto them for whom nothing is prepared: for this day is holy unto our Lord: neither be ye sorry; for the joy of the LORD is your strength.
Neh 8:11  So the Levites stilled all the people, saying, Hold your peace, for the day is holy; neither be ye grieved.
Neh 8:12  And all the people went their way to eat, and to drink, and to send portions, and to make great mirth, because they had understood the words that were declared unto them.
Report Spam   Logged

What can you do for Jesus?  Learn what 1 person can accomplish.

The Man from George Street
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkjMvPhLrn8
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2013, 04:22:10 pm »

Ever read this?

Neh 8:1  And all the people gathered themselves together as one man into the street that was before the water gate; and they spake unto Ezra the scribe to bring the book of the law of Moses, which the LORD had commanded to Israel.
Neh 8:2  And Ezra the priest brought the law before the congregation both of men and women, and all that could hear with understanding, upon the first day of the seventh month.
Neh 8:3  And he read therein before the street that was before the water gate from the morning until midday, before the men and the women, and those that could understand; and the ears of all the people were attentive unto the book of the law.
Neh 8:4  And Ezra the scribe stood upon a pulpit of wood, which they had made for the purpose; and beside him stood Mattithiah, and Shema, and Anaiah, and Urijah, and Hilkiah, and Maaseiah, on his right hand; and on his left hand, Pedaiah, and Mishael, and Malchiah, and Hashum, and Hashbadana, Zechariah, and Meshullam.
Neh 8:5  And Ezra opened the book in the sight of all the people; (for he was above all the people;) and when he opened it, all the people stood up:
Neh 8:6  And Ezra blessed the LORD, the great God. And all the people answered, Amen, Amen, with lifting up their hands: and they bowed their heads, and worshipped the LORD with their faces to the ground.
Neh 8:7  Also Jeshua, and Bani, and Sherebiah, Jamin, Akkub, Shabbethai, Hodijah, Maaseiah, Kelita, Azariah, Jozabad, Hanan, Pelaiah, and the Levites, caused the people to understand the law: and the people stood in their place.
Neh 8:8  So they read in the book in the law of God distinctly, and gave the sense, and caused them to understand the reading.
Neh 8:9  And Nehemiah, which is the Tirshatha, and Ezra the priest the scribe, and the Levites that taught the people, said unto all the people, This day is holy unto the LORD your God; mourn not, nor weep. For all the people wept, when they heard the words of the law.
Neh 8:10  Then he said unto them, Go your way, eat the fat, and drink the sweet, and send portions unto them for whom nothing is prepared: for this day is holy unto our Lord: neither be ye sorry; for the joy of the LORD is your strength.
Neh 8:11  So the Levites stilled all the people, saying, Hold your peace, for the day is holy; neither be ye grieved.
Neh 8:12  And all the people went their way to eat, and to drink, and to send portions, and to make great mirth, because they had understood the words that were declared unto them.

That was what I was trying to get at - they were reading scripture - the modern-day pastor/missionary it seems like will try to put on a show like he's acting in a play. Ultimately, they will end up leaving everyone spellbound, and false converts will get produced from this.
Report Spam   Logged
Mark
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2013, 04:34:33 pm »

That was what I was trying to get at - they were reading scripture - the modern-day pastor/missionary it seems like will try to put on a show like he's acting in a play. Ultimately, they will end up leaving everyone spellbound, and false converts will get produced from this.

here is an article then.

Falling on Deaf Ears? Why So Many Churches Hear So Little of the Bible

“It is well and good for the preacher to base his sermon on the Bible, but he better get to something relevant pretty quickly, or we start mentally to check out.” That stunningly clear sentence reflects one of the most amazing, tragic, and lamentable characteristics of contemporary Christianity: an impatience with the Word of God.

The sentence above comes from Mark Galli, senior managing editor of Christianity Today, in an essay entitled, “Yawning at the Word.” In just a few hundred words, he captures the tragedy of a church increasingly impatient with and resistant to the reading and preaching of the Bible. We may wince when we read him relate his recent experiences, but we also recognize the ring of truth.

Galli was told to cut down on the biblical references in his sermon. “You’ll lose people,” the staff member warned. In a Bible study session on creation, the teacher was requested to come back the next Sunday prepared to take questions at the expense of reading the relevant scriptural texts on the doctrine. Cutting down on the number of Bible verses “would save time and, it was strongly implied, would better hold people’s interest.”

rest: http://www.religiontoday.com/columnists/al-mohler/falling-on-deaf-ears-why-so-many-churches-hear-so-little-of-the-bible.html
Report Spam   Logged

Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2013, 04:42:59 pm »

Yeah, what the article says is what I was trying to get at - thank you for posting this.
Report Spam   Logged
Kilika
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2013, 06:30:26 am »

Ezra wasn't preaching, nor was he acting as a preacher in those verses. Ezra was a prophet of God, not a preacher!

Many times there was a public reading of scripture in the Old Testament days. Only the prophets/priests had the scrolls, or were the ones God told to tell the people something. Much different than these days. Virtually nobody had scriptures of their own. In many respects, it had to be read openly in public or in the temple. It wasn't because he was "preaching". They would prophesy to warn people. It wasn't some Sunday morning sermon that they would teach over several sermons or something.

Seriously, keep things in proper context instead of trying to justify what isn't there.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 06:32:35 am by Kilika » Report Spam   Logged
Mark
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2013, 07:22:49 am »

actually he was preaching. Ezra was the Chief Priest and Scribe and a Prophet. He led Israel back into the Land. He is there as the Chief Priest reading the books of Law to the People. The thread is about what is preaching, preaching is reading the Word of God to the people. That is what he did, so i dont see how you can say that isnt what he did.

Well very few people had private scrolls, most were kept in the local synagouge and read weekly to the people. We even see Jesus come into the synagouge and read scripture. The Rabbi at the synagouge would read portions of the scrolls weekly for the people.

so could you clarify a little more as to why his isnt preaching?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 03:19:06 pm by Mark » Report Spam   Logged

Mark
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2013, 07:35:22 am »

preach
http://1828.mshaffer.com/d/word/preach

PREACH, v.i. [L. proeco, a crier; precor.]

1. To pronounce a public discourse on a religious subject, or from a subject, or from a text of Scripture. The word is usually applied to such discourses as are formed from a text of Scripture. This is the modern sense of preach.
2. To discourse on the gospel way of salvation and exhort to repentance; to discourse on evangelical truths and exhort to a belief of them and acceptance of the terms of salvation. This was the extemporaneous manner of preaching pursued by Christ and his apostles. Matt.4. 10. Acts 10. 14.

PREACH, v.t. To proclaim; to publish in religious discourses.

What ye hear in the ear, that preach ye on the house-tops. Matt.10.
 The Lord hath anointed me to preach good tidings to the meek. Is.61.

1. To inculcate in public discourses.
 I have preached righteousness in the great congregations. Ps.40.
 He oft to them preach'd
 Conversion and repentance.

To preach Christ or Christ crucified, to announce Christ as the only Savior, and his atonement as the only ground of acceptance with God. 1 Cor.1.

To preach up, to discourse in favor of.

Can they preach up equality of birth?
Report Spam   Logged

Kilika
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2013, 03:12:13 pm »

To clarify,

Much different than these days.

He wasn't "preaching" in the context of what is called preaching these days by churchianity, which is what I thought you were trying to say.

I agree that preaching, as I understand it, is in effect simply speaking the Word out loud. And of course that is also prophesying.
Report Spam   Logged
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2013, 03:20:11 pm »

To clarify,

He wasn't "preaching" in the context of what is called preaching these days by churchianity, which is what I thought you were trying to say.

I agree that preaching, as I understand it, is in effect simply speaking the Word out loud. And of course that is also prophesying.

Yes, that's what I was trying to say in my OP - that the "preaching" of the word is just that - READING/SPEAKING out of the word of God WORD FOR WORD.

And NOT some "pastor" spending 30-45 minutes giving a lecture like some college professor for 50 minutes - which is why I brought up the "spellbound" part - b/c most of the time it seems like they have to scream loud and act really hyper in order to get everyone's attention.
Report Spam   Logged
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2013, 03:30:41 pm »

Yeah - the reason why I was bringing this subject up is b/c throughout my years of going into these church buildings, either 1) I felt "spellbound" after listening to these pastors' sermons, while other times I felt scared(literally), or 2) I felt just plain bored, to sum it up in a nutshell(a lot like listening to a college professor's lecture for 50 minutes in your least favorite class).

The eunuch is Acts 8 felt neither...

Acts 8:27  And he arose and went: and, behold, a man of Ethiopia, an eunuch of great authority under Candace queen of the Ethiopians, who had the charge of all her treasure, and had come to Jerusalem for to worship,
Act 8:28  Was returning, and sitting in his chariot read Esaias the prophet.
Act 8:29  Then the Spirit said unto Philip, Go near, and join thyself to this chariot.
Act 8:30  And Philip ran thither to him, and heard him read the prophet Esaias, and said, Understandest thou what thou readest?
Act 8:31  And he said, How can I, except some man should guide me? And he desired Philip that he would come up and sit with him.
Act 8:32  The place of the scripture which he read was this, He was led as a sheep to the slaughter; and like a lamb dumb before his shearer, so opened he not his mouth:
Act 8:33  In his humiliation his judgment was taken away: and who shall declare his generation? for his life is taken from the earth.
Act 8:34  And the eunuch answered Philip, and said, I pray thee, of whom speaketh the prophet this? of himself, or of some other man?
Act 8:35  Then Philip opened his mouth, and began at the same scripture, and preached unto him Jesus.
Act 8:36  And as they went on their way, they came unto a certain water: and the eunuch said, See, here is water; what doth hinder me to be baptized?
Act 8:37  And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.
Act 8:38  And he commanded the chariot to stand still: and they went down both into the water, both Philip and the eunuch; and he baptized him.
Act 8:39  And when they were come up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord caught away Philip, that the eunuch saw him no more: and he went on his way rejoicing.
Report Spam   Logged
Kilika
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2013, 04:06:40 pm »

Maybe the difference is that you were sitting in a cult building being distracted with lies while surrounded by a lot of unbelieving spirits, and the eunuch was in a chariot by himself, searching the scriptures, when one other person showed up who was specifically sent by God to answer a question the eunuch had.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: