End Times and Current Events
March 28, 2024, 10:53:28 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome To End Times and Current Events.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Church Planting?

Shoutbox
March 27, 2024, 12:55:24 pm Mark says: Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked  When Hamas spokesman Abu Ubaida began a speech marking the 100th day of the war in Gaza, one confounding yet eye-opening proclamation escaped the headlines. Listing the motives for the Palestinian militant group's Oct. 7 massacre in Israel, he accused Jews of "bringing red cows" to the Holy Land.
December 31, 2022, 10:08:58 am NilsFor1611 says: blessings
August 08, 2018, 02:38:10 am suzytr says: Hello, any good churches in the Sacto, CA area, also looking in Reno NV, thanks in advance and God Bless you Smiley
January 29, 2018, 01:21:57 am Christian40 says: It will be interesting to see what happens this year Israel being 70 years as a modern nation may 14 2018
October 17, 2017, 01:25:20 am Christian40 says: It is good to type Mark is here again!  Smiley
October 16, 2017, 03:28:18 am Christian40 says: anyone else thinking that time is accelerating now? it seems im doing days in shorter time now is time being affected in some way?
September 24, 2017, 10:45:16 pm Psalm 51:17 says: The specific rule pertaining to the national anthem is found on pages A62-63 of the league rulebook. It states: “The National Anthem must be played prior to every NFL game, and all players must be on the sideline for the National Anthem. “During the National Anthem, players on the field and bench area should stand at attention, face the flag, hold helmets in their left hand, and refrain from talking. The home team should ensure that the American flag is in good condition. It should be pointed out to players and coaches that we continue to be judged by the public in this area of respect for the flag and our country. Failure to be on the field by the start of the National Anthem may result in discipline, such as fines, suspensions, and/or the forfeiture of draft choice(s) for violations of the above, including first offenses.”
September 20, 2017, 04:32:32 am Christian40 says: "The most popular Hepatitis B vaccine is nothing short of a witch’s brew including aluminum, formaldehyde, yeast, amino acids, and soy. Aluminum is a known neurotoxin that destroys cellular metabolism and function. Hundreds of studies link to the ravaging effects of aluminum. The other proteins and formaldehyde serve to activate the immune system and open up the blood-brain barrier. This is NOT a good thing."
http://www.naturalnews.com/2017-08-11-new-fda-approved-hepatitis-b-vaccine-found-to-increase-heart-attack-risk-by-700.html
September 19, 2017, 03:59:21 am Christian40 says: bbc international did a video about there street preaching they are good witnesses
September 14, 2017, 08:06:04 am Psalm 51:17 says: bro Mark Hunter on YT has some good, edifying stuff too.
View Shout History
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Church Planting?  (Read 906 times)
Psalm 51:17
Global Moderator

View Profile
« on: October 26, 2013, 12:11:38 am »

Always wondered what it is - pretty much had a feeling it's a Churchianity term b/c it's nowhere in the bible, but nonetheless saw this on wiki, and look at the terms being used...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_planting

Church planting is a process that results in a new (local) Christian church being established. It should be distinguished from church development, where a new service, new worship centre or fresh expression is created that is integrated into an already established congregation. For a local church to be planted, it must eventually have a separate life of its own and be able to function without its parent body, even if it continues to stay in relationship denominationally or through being part of a network.

History of church planting[edit]

Anglican missionary efforts called church planting in British colonies coincided with British colonialism.[1] Church planting also describes the missionary model of Baptist missionaries, for instance, in mid-twentieth century Brazil. For Southern Baptists, church planting, with its focus on establishing new and independent congregations, is a logical outcome of their theology: "Southern Baptist mission work was driven by church planting. Based on a voluntaristic faith, the work defined individual salvation as the cornerstone of religious life; and religious life took place within local, autonomous congregations."[2]

Models of church planting[edit]

These are some models for church planting. In the "parachute drop" method, a church planter and family move into a new location to start a church from scratch. Or, an existing church or church planting organization (mother) provides the initial leadership and resources (money and/or people) to get a new church (daughter) started. Alternately, small groups form and multiply via a network of people meeting in homes (see house church); in some cases, the individual cells are connected in a larger network that meets together periodically in a large group setting. An existing church may also split. Finally, the expansion of a Multi-site church may result in new churches (rather than annexes of the larger church) being established.

Advocates[edit]

C. Peter Wagner describes Church planting as "the single most effective evangelistic methodology under heaven"[3] and for its advocates this remains church planting's greatest rationale. Recent practitioners[who?] have developed theologies of church, place, and community, to answer the criticism of earlier models.

Practical objections[edit]

For Anglicans and Catholics, "church-planting" can be very problematic because of the territorial nature of a diocese. For both the Catholic and Anglican churches, this practice may be viewed as an abrogation of the rights of a local bishop. This is because the bishop of the diocese has the right to decide where churches will be planted, and the phenomenon of church planting sometimes ignores both courtesy and obedience to the local bishop. This issue is particularly sensitive in regard to the Anglican diocese of Sydney in Australia, from which many Evangelical churches are "planted" in non-evangelical dioceses.[4]

The Church of England has begun its Fresh Expressions initiative, which is seeking to encourage the development of new congregations even when they are across parish boundaries, for the sake of mission, under the bishop's permission. The recent Anglican conference GAFCON contained a broad hint that it would consider offering oversight to churches that have been planted without authorization from the local bishops.

Church Planting Movement[edit]

In a missiological context, church planting may be defined as "initiating reproductive fellowships who reflect the kingdom of God in the world."[who?][citation needed] When this happens with rapid growth, it is generally known as a Church Planting Movement. In a CPM, indigenous churches plant more churches within a people group or geographic area. A church will sponsor formation of multiple spinoff churches that will themselves very quickly reproduce new churches, generally with common teachings and doctrine. It is different from traditional missions in that the new churches are generally started by a lay leader from the sponsoring church and not an outside missionary. A key characteristic of an authentic church planting movement is the rapidity with which a new congregation itself starts another similar church.

History of CPMs[edit]

The modern Church Planting Movement can trace its roots to the mid-nineteenth century when Henry Venn and Rufus Anderson developed the three-self formula of an indigenous missions policy: "they believed that young churches should be self-propagating, self-supporting, and self-governing from their inception."[8] Donald McGavran, a missionary in India who "coined the concept of 'people movements' to Christ," is credited as an early proponent of the kind of missionary work that underlies the Church Planting Movement, by focusing his missionary work on converting groups of people ("groups, tribes, villages, ethnic groups") rather than individuals.[9]

According to ONE Magazine, the official organ of the National Association of Free Will Baptists, such tactics were used successfully in Cuba in the 1940s by Tom and Mabel Willey; in the 1950s in North India Carlisle and Marie Hanna; and in the 1960s in Ivory Coast by LaVerne Miley.[6] Christianity Today also claims success in Cuba for the "Western Baptists, historically linked to the Southern Baptist Convention."[10] Bhojpuri Church Planting Movement was led by Rev. Victor John of ASSI produced thousands of Churches from the beginning of Nineties. This is also the longest surviving(rather thriving) movement in the world. It has become Movementum now and still producing thousands of Churches. This Movement is also referred to where the Word CPM originated. This Movement has impacted many other countries and continues to impact the other parts of India as well.

Essentials of CPMs[edit]

There are three key characteristics of a Church Planting Movement: it reproduces rapidly, multiplying churches, and that the churches are indigenous.[11]

Within a very short time, newly planted churches are already starting new churches that follow the same pattern of rapid reproduction. Though the rate varies from place to place, Church Planting Movements always outstrip the population growth rate as they race toward reaching the entire people group. Where with other methods of church planting it may take five years to plant a church, with CPM multiple generations of churches may be planted within five months.[11]

"Church Planting Movements do not simply add new churches. Instead, they multiply."[12] Most churches in the middle of a Movement will start as many churches as they can, with a goal of filling the area with new churches.[11]

Church Planting Movements are indigenous. It may start with the training from a non-native missionary or church member, but will very quickly form new congregations that are all within a single ethnic people group. Leaders are self-identified by their willingness to do what the trainer asks them, and then are given additional instruction on how to reproduce new churches.[11]

Church Planting Movements train leaders.

Methods in Church Planting Movements[edit]

There is not a solitary method used to spark a Church Planting Movement. The Training for Trainers (T4T) method has been successful in China.[15] It differs from the Insider Movement in that leaders do not seek to act like indigenous persons, but simply train locals who train others within their (or closely related) people group.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2013, 12:18:29 am »

Just a couple of comments...

1) Is it just me, or does this "church planting" movement sound like a Ponzi scheme, like Amway?

2) They mention the Free Will Baptists taking part in this - Mike Hoggard is a Free Will Baptist.(correct me if I'm wrong here, but I that's what I thought I heard)

3) Apparently, this has been a giant step toward the One World Church AC system - no wonder why there's churches on every street corner now, it seems(a lot like there's so many movie theaters et al on every street corner now). Personally, I've always wondered why, especially in our present day when the % of unbelievers is rather big. And to boot it's rare you see any of these church buildings close down. IOW, now it's becoming more clear where these church buildings are getting funded.

4) Again, its roots come from the RCC.
Report Spam   Logged
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 01:26:51 pm »

Ripe Harvest: Church Planters Target I-29 Corridor
http://www.charismanews.com/us/42897-ripe-harvest-church-planters-target-i-29-corridor
2/24/14

In the Upper Midwest, people are spread few and far between. It's also one of the least-evangelized areas of the country.

Consequently, Christian leaders are trying a new initiative to spread the gospel there.

The I-29 corridor runs north and south through several states in the Upper Midwest, all the way from Kansas City, Mo., to the Canadian border.

The route also runs through what Southern Baptist leaders see as a ripe mission field.

Leo Endel, executive director of the Minnesota-Wisconsin Baptist Convention, told CBN News that research led to a vision for evangelism.

"We began to realize that it wasn't just that Southern Baptists weren't there. Evangelicals at large were under-represented," he said. "There are many evangelical churches in these communities, but they're in much smaller numbers than in other places in the United States."

Heartland Interstate Strategy

As a result, the North American Mission Board, along with other partners, will launch the Heartland Interstate Strategy this year.

Its goal: Strengthen existing churches and plant new ones across the region over the next four years.

"I think people in the Upper Midwest are like people anywhere," Endel said. "They're trying to make sense out of life. They're struggling through with the regular struggles we all have, like making ends meet and trying to find our way."

The Heartland Interstate Strategy will focus on planting churches in seven strategic cities along the I-29 corridor.

Once the churches are established, they plan to spread the gospel east and west and into more remote regions.

"We wondered if we could take the strength of Missouri, particularly, and come straight up I-29 into the major cities: St Joseph, Omaha, Sioux City, Sioux Falls, Fargo, Grand Forks, and then all the way into Winnipeg," Endel said.

Church planter Jonathan Land recently relocated to Sioux Falls, S.D., with his wife and two girls.

In addition to being a strategic target, Sioux Falls is also the biggest city in the Dakotas.

"We made an intentional effort to have volunteer teams to help us canvass areas, knocked on doors, introduced ourselves as a church and said this is who we are. We love this city; we're excited to be here and we want to bless you," Land said.

Land told CBN News his vision for reaching the Upper Midwest comes straight from the Bible.

"Our passion came from the book of Acts, and we wanted to be a part of a biblical church. We wanted to see the Gospel go out in an area that had been impervious to it or completely unaffected by it," Land explained.

Prayer Is Key

Mark Elliott, who helps in the overall planting strategy, said the key for a strong church foundation always begins with prayer.

"The critical No. 1 piece is pray for the spiritual needs in the area, pray the Lord would raise up leaders for the harvest and from the harvest," Elliott said.

While the Heartland Interstate Strategy is still in the beginning stages, church leaders hope a major push planned for the fall could ultimately help fulfill the Great Commission.

"We see our role here in Sioux Falls as just one little piece of this amazing thing that God has been doing among the nations," Land said. "His glory is going to be known among everyone."
Report Spam   Logged
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 09:58:19 pm »

OK - I DON'T endorse anything this guy says - HOWEVER, I'm posthing this b/c look at the mindset over what this guy says...it pretty much represents the typical Churchianity "church planter"...COVETEOUS!

http://www.christianpost.com/news/do-we-really-need-more-churches-planted-in-america-117990/
Do We Really Need More Churches Planted in America?
4/15/14

Right now there are over 300,000 Protestant churches in America. Just do the division (300,000 divided by 50 states) and that equals 6,000 churches per state. Wow! That's a lot of churches!

Think about it this way: there are just over 10,000 Starbucks and well over 300,000 churches! So Starbucks can saturate the United States with caffeinated drinks but almost 30x's more churches can't saturate the United States with the Living Water. Seriously???

According to church growth and discipleship multiplication expert Bill Hull, "It still takes 100 church attendees, a pastor and 100,000.00 a year to win a convert. Among evangelicals it is a bit better, 1.7, this is an ugly fact that should grieve us all."

So our solution is planting more and more churches so that we can reach America for Jesus? Is that really the best solution or is a revitalization of the current churches a the best solution?

My answer is a resounding "YES!"

YES we need more churches planted and YES we need to revitalize the current ones.

When I was a twenty three year old part-time youth leader at a church in Arvada, Colorado I wanted to revitalize the congregation when it came to evangelism and outreach. This very traditional church was solid theologically but not growing steadily due to disciples being made and multiplied.

I'll never forget presenting an 11 page document called "Operation Arvada" to the Sr. Pastor and asking him to consider it. In those pages were ideas for infusing relational evangelism into the lifeblood of the church. He said, "Let me pray about it" (which is a pastor's way of buying time so that he can think of a nice way to say "no" to your idea.) Days turned to weeks and I finally realized that it wasn't going to happen.

It was then that I remembered the words of a former pastor who gave up trying to revitalize that same church to plant a new one. He told me, "It's easier to give birth than to resurrect the dead."

That's when my best friend and I decided to start a church ourselves, Grace Church in Arvada, Colorado. Through prayer, tons of mistakes and sheer perseverance we were blessed to plant a church that grew deep and wide in some powerful ways.

Today Grace Church is a thriving congregation with over 60% of the 3,000 or so who go there having come to Jesus as a result of this church's focused outreach efforts. What about the other church I was involved in? The new pastor and youth pastor are working hard to revitalize it so that it can be more effective in the community where it's located.

YES!!!

We need already existing churches to drop an evangelistic engine into their church chassis. We need new churches planted that grow primarily through new believers being added (as opposed to transfer growth.)

So the real question is not how many churches do we have in North America, but how many Gospel advancing churches do we have? We need to revitalize current ones and plant new ones until we reach everyone.

If you are in an established church work with all your heart to get the people there making and multiplying disciples. Start with those who are willing and build from there. Pray for your church. Challenge your church. Equip your church. By the way we at Dare 2 Share can help with that. Start by downloading and using our free evangelism training app.

If you feel led to plant a church determine to build one that grows primarily through relational evangelism and discipleship multiplication. Make intercessory prayer that engine and not the caboose of your efforts and, overtime, you will succeed.

It's time to revitalize current churches and plant new ones that bleed the good news. Let's give birth and raise the dead!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2Peter 2:1  But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction.
2Pe 2:2  And many shall follow their pernicious ways; by reason of whom the way of truth shall be evil spoken of.
2Pe 2:3  And through covetousness shall they with feigned words make merchandise of you: whose judgment now of a long time lingereth not, and their damnation slumbereth not.
Report Spam   Logged
Kilika
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 01:41:37 am »

According to church growth and discipleship multiplication expert Bill Hull, "It still takes 100 church attendees, a pastor and 100,000.00 a year to win a convert. Among evangelicals it is a bit better, 1.7, this is an ugly fact that should grieve us all."

Hmm, interesting. Jesus says that it takes only one person to be converted, the believer, and Jesus says He bought us with a price. That bill is already paid.

Hey Bill Hull, your an unbelieving corrupted idiot! How about trying to read a real bible rather than going around spreading lies, false doctrines, and pagan temples.
Report Spam   Logged
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 03:31:43 pm »

Saw this on an international "ministry"'s web site...

In addition to preaching the gospel, we are endeavoring to plant indigenous churches with the new converts and train national pastors.

I think their "missionary" work here is in the Philippines. Anyhow, did you catch this? INDIGENOUS?

Pt being that this is one of their deep and sinister agendas here - church planting is evil to begin with, but nonetheless doing so by demographically making it indigenous...it would make it much easier to keep everyone on the same page(especially in "group think" mode). THIS obviously is unbiblical b/c...

Romans 12:4  For as we have many members in one body, and all members have not the same office:
Rom 12:5  So we, being many, are one body in Christ, and every one members one of another.
Rom 12:6  Having then gifts differing according to the grace that is given to us, whether prophecy, let us prophesy according to the proportion of faith;
Rom 12:7  Or ministry, let us wait on our ministering: or he that teacheth, on teaching;
Rom 12:8  Or he that exhorteth, on exhortation: he that giveth, let him do it with simplicity; he that ruleth, with diligence; he that sheweth mercy, with cheerfulness.

Ultimately, all of this is heading closer and closer to end of the Church Age, and the 7 year great tribulation following.
Report Spam   Logged
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 01:27:47 pm »

Fast-forward to the 30 minute mark...

Report Spam   Logged
Mark
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2014, 01:31:59 pm »

Huh
Report Spam   Logged

What can you do for Jesus?  Learn what 1 person can accomplish.

The Man from George Street
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkjMvPhLrn8
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: