End Times and Current Events
April 19, 2024, 07:13:47 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: "Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me." John 5:39 (KJB)

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Boxer Evander Holyfield's large "tithings" lead to foreclosure of his home

Shoutbox
March 27, 2024, 12:55:24 pm Mark says: Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked  When Hamas spokesman Abu Ubaida began a speech marking the 100th day of the war in Gaza, one confounding yet eye-opening proclamation escaped the headlines. Listing the motives for the Palestinian militant group's Oct. 7 massacre in Israel, he accused Jews of "bringing red cows" to the Holy Land.
December 31, 2022, 10:08:58 am NilsFor1611 says: blessings
August 08, 2018, 02:38:10 am suzytr says: Hello, any good churches in the Sacto, CA area, also looking in Reno NV, thanks in advance and God Bless you Smiley
January 29, 2018, 01:21:57 am Christian40 says: It will be interesting to see what happens this year Israel being 70 years as a modern nation may 14 2018
October 17, 2017, 01:25:20 am Christian40 says: It is good to type Mark is here again!  Smiley
October 16, 2017, 03:28:18 am Christian40 says: anyone else thinking that time is accelerating now? it seems im doing days in shorter time now is time being affected in some way?
September 24, 2017, 10:45:16 pm Psalm 51:17 says: The specific rule pertaining to the national anthem is found on pages A62-63 of the league rulebook. It states: “The National Anthem must be played prior to every NFL game, and all players must be on the sideline for the National Anthem. “During the National Anthem, players on the field and bench area should stand at attention, face the flag, hold helmets in their left hand, and refrain from talking. The home team should ensure that the American flag is in good condition. It should be pointed out to players and coaches that we continue to be judged by the public in this area of respect for the flag and our country. Failure to be on the field by the start of the National Anthem may result in discipline, such as fines, suspensions, and/or the forfeiture of draft choice(s) for violations of the above, including first offenses.”
September 20, 2017, 04:32:32 am Christian40 says: "The most popular Hepatitis B vaccine is nothing short of a witch’s brew including aluminum, formaldehyde, yeast, amino acids, and soy. Aluminum is a known neurotoxin that destroys cellular metabolism and function. Hundreds of studies link to the ravaging effects of aluminum. The other proteins and formaldehyde serve to activate the immune system and open up the blood-brain barrier. This is NOT a good thing."
http://www.naturalnews.com/2017-08-11-new-fda-approved-hepatitis-b-vaccine-found-to-increase-heart-attack-risk-by-700.html
September 19, 2017, 03:59:21 am Christian40 says: bbc international did a video about there street preaching they are good witnesses
September 14, 2017, 08:06:04 am Psalm 51:17 says: bro Mark Hunter on YT has some good, edifying stuff too.
View Shout History
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Boxer Evander Holyfield's large "tithings" lead to foreclosure of his home  (Read 399 times)
Psalm 51:17
Global Moderator

View Profile
« on: November 16, 2013, 06:20:13 pm »

It was some time ago that ESPN did a show on Christian athletes and how their respective churches' pastors would target rich athletes for this very reason.

Apparently, he too fell for this deception.

http://thetithinghoax.com/deaf-dumb-blind-and-broke/

Ignorance Plus Tithing Can Equal Home Foreclosure

by R. Renee • December 2, 2011 • 2 Comments   

SCRIPTURE TELLS US that God is no longer winking at our ignorance (Acts 17:30). And ignorance comes with a high price. Just ask Evander Holyfield. He “tithed” $20 million to his church and his mansion ended up in foreclosure.

During an ESPN expose on the relationship between professional athletes and prosperity gospel preachers Holyfield was asked this question: If you had to do it over gain would you pay tithes or pay your house note? Holyfield replied that he would pay his tithes because THAT’S WHAT THE BIBLE SAYS.

I’m not sure which Bible he was reading but the Bible does not tell Christians to tithe. Unfortunately, there are many Christians like Holyfield that  don’t know what the Bible really says about tithing.

In some cases, folks just depend on what the preachers says about tithing. The problem with that is that there are preachers who are not telling their congregations the truth about tithes. In effect, their congregations are being dumbed down (or being kept ignorant).
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 06:22:15 pm by BornAgain2 » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Kilika
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 02:36:57 am »

Just another case of churchianity lying to people, for the love of money. Then there is the individuals that think like Catholics do in that they think that if they repent and pay some cash, they are forgiven and might get to heaven, so long as they don't sin too much and confess their sins to their pastors. Basically, it's people trying to buy their way to heaven.
Report Spam   Logged
Psalm 51:17
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 12:49:38 pm »

Just another case of churchianity lying to people, for the love of money. Then there is the individuals that think like Catholics do in that they think that if they repent and pay some cash, they are forgiven and might get to heaven, so long as they don't sin too much and confess their sins to their pastors. Basically, it's people trying to buy their way to heaven.

Or in other cases, they fear their job/financial securities, and maybe even Holyfield's(and other pro athletes) cases, they feel giving their money away will mean success in their careers.

Was in a church building I attend yesterday, and listened to the guest pastor preaching how part of his ministry is going to the auto racing place in the metroplex to preach the gospel. When I was reading 2nd Cor 9 this morning, something hit me, and how Churchianity(including this guy) is really in error about something...

This is one verse Churchianity will cherry-pick and twist to make it look like Christians have to "tithe"...

2Cor 9:6  But this I say, He which soweth sparingly shall reap also sparingly; and he which soweth bountifully shall reap also bountifully.

The problem is that they will ONLY look at this verse, but do NOT read the verses AROUND it. Let's look at all the verses around it...

2Cor 9:5  Therefore I thought it necessary to exhort the brethren, that they would go before unto you, and make up beforehand your bounty, whereof ye had notice before, that the same might be ready, as a matter of bounty, and not as of covetousness.
2Co 9:6  But this I say, He which soweth sparingly shall reap also sparingly; and he which soweth bountifully shall reap also bountifully.
2Co 9:7  Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.
2Co 9:8  And God is able to make all grace abound toward you; that ye, always having all sufficiency in all things, may abound to every good work:
2Co 9:9  (As it is written, He hath dispersed abroad; he hath given to the poor: his righteousness remaineth for ever.
2Co 9:10  Now he that ministereth seed to the sower both minister bread for your food, and multiply your seed sown, and increase the fruits of your righteousness;)
2Co 9:11  Being enriched in every thing to all bountifulness, which causeth through us thanksgiving to God.
2Co 9:12  For the administration of this service not only supplieth the want of the saints, but is abundant also by many thanksgivings unto God;
2Co 9:13  Whiles by the experiment of this ministration they glorify God for your professed subjection unto the gospel of Christ, and for your liberal distribution unto them, and unto all men;
2Co 9:14  And by their prayer for you, which long after you for the exceeding grace of God in you.
2Co 9:15  Thanks be unto God for his unspeakable gift.

Just looking at the big picture and context of this entire passage(surrounding the lone verse I pointed out) - it's talking about administering to the SAINTS(our brethren in Christ, that is). And to boot - it has NOTHING to do with money.(not saying it doesn't completely, but other more important things like edifying each other daily with scripture) No, I'm not saying we should ignore witnessing to the lost world at all, but nonetheless like this guest pastor I brought up, pretty much he's ignoring this entire passage of administering to his fellow saints and brethren(as is entire Churchianity). Ultimately, it has nothing to do with giving away your money.

Matthew 4:1  Then was Jesus led up of the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted of the devil.
Mat 4:2  And when he had fasted forty days and forty nights, he was afterward an hungred.
Mat 4:3  And when the tempter came to him, he said, If thou be the Son of God, command that these stones be made bread.
Mat 4:4  But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 12:58:58 pm by BornAgain2 » Report Spam   Logged
Kilika
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 04:23:33 pm »

...it has NOTHING to do with money...

That's the understanding I have as well. But God I think makes it easy for us to see the truth of the matter, that churchianity looks on the outward appearance, thinking it's a literal issue, when scripture clearly says the focus is on the spiritual, "comparing spiritual with spiritual". So as a result, God shows us how they are always acting on a carnal interpretation through ritual and the doctrines of men.

Just as Jesus told us, He knows what the flesh needs, like the fowls of the air. The focus is to be in that spiritual food, the sound doctrine of Jesus Christ. This is I think why Jesus says, "I have meat to eat that ye know not of". This also is why Jesus says, "the flesh profiteth nothing..."

Yet carnal man has focused on the physical, the "filthy lucre", and laying up treasures on earth, claiming material wealth is an indicator of your grace with God. If so, then why does Jesus say, "Blessed be ye poor"?

"For the kingdom of God is not meat and drink; but righteousness, and peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost." Romans 14:17 (KJB)

This is where I think scripture shows us that those who don't feed the spiritual food to the sheep, when they do what they think are good deeds, it's like Jesus says, they are saying "Be ye warmed and filled...", but they are not feeding the soul. The flesh in deed profits nothing from their "charity".

"Now the parable is this: The seed is the word of God." Luke 8:11 (KJB)

"He that hath an ear..."
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: