End Times and Current Events
March 18, 2024, 09:41:40 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome To End Times and Current Events.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

How to Survive what is Coming

Shoutbox
December 31, 2022, 10:08:58 am NilsFor1611 says: blessings
August 08, 2018, 02:38:10 am suzytr says: Hello, any good churches in the Sacto, CA area, also looking in Reno NV, thanks in advance and God Bless you Smiley
January 29, 2018, 01:21:57 am Christian40 says: It will be interesting to see what happens this year Israel being 70 years as a modern nation may 14 2018
October 17, 2017, 01:25:20 am Christian40 says: It is good to type Mark is here again!  Smiley
October 16, 2017, 03:28:18 am Christian40 says: anyone else thinking that time is accelerating now? it seems im doing days in shorter time now is time being affected in some way?
September 24, 2017, 10:45:16 pm Psalm 51:17 says: The specific rule pertaining to the national anthem is found on pages A62-63 of the league rulebook. It states: “The National Anthem must be played prior to every NFL game, and all players must be on the sideline for the National Anthem. “During the National Anthem, players on the field and bench area should stand at attention, face the flag, hold helmets in their left hand, and refrain from talking. The home team should ensure that the American flag is in good condition. It should be pointed out to players and coaches that we continue to be judged by the public in this area of respect for the flag and our country. Failure to be on the field by the start of the National Anthem may result in discipline, such as fines, suspensions, and/or the forfeiture of draft choice(s) for violations of the above, including first offenses.”
September 20, 2017, 04:32:32 am Christian40 says: "The most popular Hepatitis B vaccine is nothing short of a witch’s brew including aluminum, formaldehyde, yeast, amino acids, and soy. Aluminum is a known neurotoxin that destroys cellular metabolism and function. Hundreds of studies link to the ravaging effects of aluminum. The other proteins and formaldehyde serve to activate the immune system and open up the blood-brain barrier. This is NOT a good thing."
http://www.naturalnews.com/2017-08-11-new-fda-approved-hepatitis-b-vaccine-found-to-increase-heart-attack-risk-by-700.html
September 19, 2017, 03:59:21 am Christian40 says: bbc international did a video about there street preaching they are good witnesses
September 14, 2017, 08:06:04 am Psalm 51:17 says: bro Mark Hunter on YT has some good, edifying stuff too.
September 14, 2017, 04:31:26 am Christian40 says: i have thought that i'm reaping from past sins then my life has been impacted in ways from having non believers in my ancestry.
View Shout History
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to Survive what is Coming  (Read 11104 times)
Christian40
Moderators

View Profile
« on: March 09, 2011, 09:04:10 pm »

A public service announcement from FEMA is suggesting that we all get a survival kit, in case our ‘world is turned upside down’. Very interesting and "good advice".

I wonder if they know something coming up that we don’t know… (grin)

Get a Kit
Make a Plan
Stay Informed

The following is a pretty good basic list of items for a survival kit based on ready.gov recommendations. While any survival kit is better than no survival kit, and I know that many people have developed some pretty elaborate kits, and varieties of kits specifically for their own purposes (vehicle, bug-out-bag, home, etc…), this list of items is a good starting point.

Just know that getting started on a survival kit is all it takes. You will probably find yourself adjusting it from time to time. A challenge can sometimes be keeping it reasonably sized (e.g. 72 hour kit for your vehicle, bug-out-bag). At home though, the sky’s the limit. Have fun with it.

Recommended Items to Include in a Basic Survival Kit:

Water, one gallon of water per person per day for at least three days, for drinking and sanitation
Food, at least a three-day supply of non-perishable food
Battery-powered or hand crank radio and a NOAA Weather Radio with tone alert and extra batteries for both
Flashlight and extra batteries
First aid kit
Whistle to signal for help
Dust mask, to help filter contaminated air and plastic sheeting and duct tape to shelter-in-place
Moist towelettes, garbage bags and plastic ties for personal sanitation
Wrench or pliers to turn off utilities
Can opener for food (if kit contains canned food)
Local maps
Cell phone with chargers

Additional Items to Consider Adding to a Survival Kit:

Prescription medications and glasses
Infant formula and diapers
Pet food and extra water for your pet
Important family documents such as copies of insurance policies, identification and bank account records in a waterproof, portable container
Cash or traveler’s checks and change
Emergency reference material such as a first aid book or information from www.ready.gov
Sleeping bag or warm blanket for each person. Consider additional bedding if you live in a cold-weather climate.
Complete change of clothing including a long sleeved shirt, long pants and sturdy shoes. Consider additional clothing if you live in a cold-weather climate.
Household chlorine bleach and medicine dropper – When diluted nine parts water to one part bleach, bleach can be used as a disinfectant. Or in an emergency, you can use it to treat water by using 16 drops of regular household liquid bleach per gallon of water. Do not use scented, color safe or bleaches with added cleaners.
Fire Extinguisher
Matches in a waterproof container
Feminine supplies and personal hygiene items
Mess kits, paper cups, plates and plastic utensils, paper towels
Paper and pencil
Books, games, puzzles or other activities for children

http://modernsurvivalblog.com/survival-kit/fema-says-get-a-survival-kit/
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Psalm 51:17
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 09:31:52 pm »

FEMA forgot this one very precious item - the 1611 King James Bible, at least one for each family! Wink
Report Spam   Logged
Mark
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 09:24:10 am »

here is one thing i always harp on for survival gear as people dont normaly or really want to think about it.

Need a toilet urgently? Unfold one in a minute

The French have been credited with inventing the bidet and popularising ****oirs or public urinals, and now they can add the biodegradable and portable toilet to their name.

Frenchman Laurent Helewa designed the lightweight, easy to construct and carry toilet after Hurricane Katrina, when thousands of displaced people were crammed into a stadium for a week, with hardly any access to facilities.

"It's a taboo subject, but necessary in case of natural disasters," he told AFP at the annual International Exhibition of Inventions in Geneva, pointing to the earthquakes in Japan and Haiti that displaced tens of thousands of people.

"The first problem is to have access to a toilet. Because if not, people will do their business wherever, and you end up with epidemics such as cholera," said Helewa, who is a doctor.

Weighing about two kilogrammes (4.4 pounds), his invention is essentially a piece of cardboard that folds into a boxed seat in a minute, and comes with plastic bags that each contain an absorbent pad to soak up liquids.

Helewa, who gamely climbed atop a sample, claimed that the heavy-duty version is able to withstand a weight of 200 kg and usage of 20 hours a day, after it was tested by four armies.

rest: http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20110407/od_afp/switzerlandfranceinventionpatent_20110407144329
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 04:51:14 pm by Dok » Report Spam   Logged

What can you do for Jesus?  Learn what 1 person can accomplish.

The Man from George Street
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkjMvPhLrn8
Kilika
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 04:47:19 pm »

God knows I hope I don't have to spend 20 hours on that thing! Grin

Good idea though. Many people really don't have a clue about sanitation, and "going without the camp". In fact, it's even discussed in scripture...

12   Thou shalt have a place also without the camp, whither thou shalt go forth abroad: 
13   And thou shalt have a paddle upon thy weapon; and it shall be, when thou wilt ease thyself abroad, thou shalt dig therewith, and shalt turn back and cover that which cometh from thee: 
14   For the LORD thy God walketh in the midst of thy camp, to deliver thee, and to give up thine enemies before thee; therefore shall thy camp be holy: that he see no unclean thing in thee, and turn away from thee.
Beuteronomy 23:12-14 (KJB)

And the only survival kit people actually need is Jesus in their heart. Believers aren't to take any thought for the morrow. Storing up supplies and such is not of faith. Didn't God provide for Isarel in the desert? Yes, He did, just as He promised.

"the just shall live by faith"
Report Spam   Logged
Mark
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2011, 10:59:49 am »

I wont lie, im pre-trib and proud of it!!! But for those that are post trib, just what are you doing to survive all that is coming on this world? I have taken up section hiking, mostly to get back into shape and have some fun. I have learned a lot of new stuff and skill that would be super benifical to the post trib person. So ill post some stuff here, and books ill upload at the other site foe down loading.

What are you, the post trib person, doing to prepare?
Report Spam   Logged

Mark
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2011, 11:06:45 am »

this site here, http://sectionhiker.com/

is loaded with articles on surviving the elements. What good gear to have, how to use it, lots of info.

Here is a good example of one of the articles.

What is an External Frame Backpack?
i have an internal frame.  Wink

What is an External Frame Backpack?

The suspension system on an external frame pack is a rigid aluminum frame. This is good for carrying very heavy loads because it’s rigid and ensures excellent load transfer to the hip belt if fitted properly. Externals frames are also have a lots of attachment points on for lashing down bulky gear like bear canisters, large sleeping bags, or tents.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of external frame backpacks?

External frame packs are fairly heavy, even when empty. The protruding frame can catch on trees if you’re hiking though dense vegetation and they also have more side to side sway when loaded, which can throw you off balance if you have to do a lot of rock scrambling. On the plus side, you can carry a lot of gear with an external frame pack and they’re very good for long expeditions where you have to carry a 50-100 pounds of pack weight. They’re also a lot cooler than many internal frame packs because there’s more air space your back and the back of the pack.

Why don’t you see more external frame packs on the trail?

External backpacks used to be the norm, but most people carry internal frame backpacks now because they’re lighter and easier to maneuver with. Backpacking gear also weighs a lot less than it used to and people don’t need as big a backpack to carry it. Many hikers still use external backpacks, but they tend to be people who got hooked on them when they were growing up. They’re also used a lot by boy scouts because they’re easy to reconfigure for kids who are in the midst of their growth spurt.

Which pack manufacturers still make external packs?

The leading makers of external frame packs are Kelty, Jansport, Alps Mountaineering, Outdoor Products, and Mountainsmith. Amazon.com has the best selection under one roof among all the online retailers, including adult and scout backs. The price of external packs tends to be significantly less expensive than internal frame packs, so they’re a good value.

http://sectionhiker.com/what-is-an-external-frame-backpack/

Great site, loaded with information....
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 11:10:17 am by Dok » Report Spam   Logged

Mark
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2011, 11:35:29 am »

Freezer Bag Recipies.

quick easy camp meals all prepared from inside a frezzer bag. Great for hiking and backpacking, could be useful for that post trib person.

http://endtimescurrentevents.freeforums.org/post-trib-survival-books-and-stuff-t2956.html
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 12:24:06 pm by Dok » Report Spam   Logged

Mark
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2011, 11:50:10 am »

How to **** in the Woods, Second Edition: An Environmentally Sound Approach to a Lost Art

http://endtimescurrentevents.freeforums.org/post-trib-survival-books-and-stuff-t2956.html

Most people do not know what to do, with out making a mess....
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 12:24:31 pm by Dok » Report Spam   Logged

PeanutGallery

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2011, 11:58:13 am »

What are you, the post trib person, doing to prepare?
Nothing more than what I do daily; not anymore than what I did at Y2K, aside from topping up gas tank and house fuel; not anymore than what I did for May 21, or will do for upcoming Sep 29, or Dec 21, 2011 and 2012.
To be honest, I'd be happy for a pre-trib rapture; I just can't see it, in light of 2Thess 2:3; btw, I lean towards pre-wrath.
Report Spam   Logged
Mark
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2011, 12:21:48 pm »

Nothing more than what I do daily; not anymore than what I did at Y2K, aside from topping up gas tank and house fuel; not anymore than what I did for May 21, or will do for upcoming Sep 29, or Dec 21, 2011 and 2012.
To be honest, I'd be happy for a pre-trib rapture; I just can't see it, in light of 2Thess 2:3; btw, I lean towards pre-wrath.

cant go up, when your coming down, jsut dont work that way.  Cheesy and 2 thess 2:3 dosent say anythign about pre or post, only that the antichrist will be revealed before the rapture. which still fits a pre trib.

i really dont want this to be a pre-post debate. just survival info.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 12:25:15 pm by Dok » Report Spam   Logged

Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2011, 01:22:12 pm »

Personally, my 1611 KJV and the Holy Spirit guiding me will be more than enough.

Thank you Jesus! Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
Christian40
Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2011, 05:09:55 am »

Dok i'm agreeing with you that there will be a Pre-Trib Rapture.

I know God does awesome things for me and as Romans 8 says:

28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.

This is what i have been thinking about recently:

Writing a note (more like alot of pages) about what to do if you are not Raptured. This note would be for the benefit of unbelievers and people who thought that they were Christian but weren't Raptured. It would have all the KJV Scripture Verses on it (especially ones concerning protection and safety) and how to survive in the wilderness and all the tricks of surviving including radiation exposure, hunting, water collection etc. The note would be distributed to everyone at my "funeral". Or i could put the information including KJV Bibles in some safe storage area with instructions that the items be for anyone interested once i was declared "Missing". The items could be a witness to those even though i'm not on Earth.

What does anyone think of this plan?
Report Spam   Logged
Mark
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2011, 07:21:08 am »

A SUGGESTED SURVIVAL LIST

By Chuck Baldwin
October 20, 2011
NewsWithViews.com

It’s once again time for my annual survival list column. One does not have to be a prophet to know that we are on the precipice of some potentially catastrophic--or at the very least, challenging--days. In fact, most of us are already in challenging days, and some are already enduring catastrophic events. That is, if one would call being out of work, losing one’s home, facing life-threatening medical conditions without any prospect of medical insurance, several families being forced to live in one house due to homes being foreclosed, etc., catastrophic.

The potential for an escalation of cataclysmic events, however, is very real. Only a “blooming idiot” would call someone who attempts to prepare for “the day of adversity” a Chicken Little now. Anyone who does not see the storm clouds on the horizon isn’t paying attention.

For example, can one imagine what would happen if terrorists nuked a major American city or cities? (Once again, I encourage readers to watch the CBS TV series “Jericho” to get an idea of how quickly life, and even civilization, could change.) Imagine if there was another 9/11-type event. What would happen if some form of Zimbabwe-style inflation hit the US? What would happen if anything disrupted the distribution of Welfare checks, or food to local grocers? Imagine a Hurricane Katrina-style natural disaster in your town. I think people everywhere are beginning to awaken to just how vulnerable we all really are.

As a result, people from virtually every walk of life have asked my thoughts on how they should prepare. Therefore, I will, again, attempt to share with my readers some of the counsel I have given these folks.

First, a disclaimer. I am not an economist; I am not a survival expert; I am not a firearms expert; I am not an attorney; I am not a physician. In fact, I am not an expert in anything! For several years, however, I have tried to learn from others. I am an avid reader. My work has allowed me to travel extensively. I have had the privilege of sitting at the feet of--and learning from--many of America’s most learned, most trained, and most qualified “experts” in a variety of fields. What I write today, I have learned from others. I’ve formed my own opinions and priorities, of course, but everything I’m sharing has been said, or written about, before. But if I can share something in today’s column that will help someone be better prepared for the days to come, then my goal will have been achieved.

Analyze your living conditions. Where do you live? Do you live in an urban or rural environment? Is it a big city or small town? Do you live in an apartment or condominium? How close are your neighbors? Do you even know your neighbors? Would you trust them if the electricity was off and they were hungry? Could you grow your own food if you had to? How easily could you secure your home? If you live in a cold weather environment, how long could you stay warm without electricity? These are the kinds of questions you need to ask yourself now.

Over the past several decades, masses of people have migrated into large metropolitan areas. More people currently live in urban areas than at any time in American history. While this may be well and good for times of prosperity, it is an absolute nightmare during any kind of disaster. Does anyone remember what New Orleans looked like after Hurricane Katrina came through? Can anyone recall what happened in downtown Los Angeles during the 1992 riots? Needless to say, any inner-city environment could become a powder keg almost instantaneously, given the right (or wrong) circumstances. And the bigger the city, the bigger the potential problems.

If you live in the inner city, I suggest you consider moving to a more rural location. Obviously, now is a very good time to buy property (especially rural property), but the downside is, selling property is not as favorable. If you can afford it, now is a great time to buy a “safe house” outside the city. If you are fortunate enough to have family or some true friends nearby, you may want to put your heads--and some resources--together in preparation for serious upheaval. Obviously, a team of prepared people is much better than being alone.

If you must stay in your urban location, have some commonsense plans in hand in the event of a major disaster. Get to know your neighbors: find out whom you can trust and whom you can’t. Keep some extra gasoline on hand, in case you need to get in your car quickly and leave. Have several exit routes planned ahead of time, in case roads are blocked. Have a “bug-out” bag containing essential ingredients to live on for 3 to 4 days. If leaving is not an option, have a plan to secure your home as best you can. You’ll need to think about things such as food, water, medicine, warmth, self-defense, etc. But at this point, to do nothing is absolute lunacy!

Most readers probably know that my entire family and I made the decision last year to move 2,600 miles from our home of 35 years in the Florida panhandle to the Flathead Valley of Montana, which is located about 75 miles south of the Canadian border just west of the Rocky Mountains. We’ve been here a year now (including dealing with one of the harshest winters in recent memory here, according to locals), and I can tell readers without equivocation or hesitation that we are so glad we made this move. We (including our womenfolk, southern girls all) absolutely love it here--all the difficulties and trials associated with such a life-changing move notwithstanding. In fact, I’ve never lived in a place I love so much!

If readers want to learn more about what prompted our move to Montana, please peruse the information on this web page.
http://chuckbaldwinlive.com/home/?page_id=2243

Provisions:

During a major disaster, food will quickly disappear. Living for over 3 decades on the Gulf Coast, I can tell you with absolute certainty that whenever disaster strikes (usually an approaching hurricane, for those folks), food and provisions at the store sell completely out in a matter of a few hours. People panic, and within hours, you cannot find food, bottled water, ice, generators, batteries, candles, etc. In a matter of hours, every gas station in the area will be completely out of gas. Not days. Hours!

Furthermore, almost all disasters include a complete loss of electricity. The water supply is compromised. Bottled water becomes more valuable than bank accounts. Dehydration becomes a very real and present danger. I remember witnessing a man offer an ice vendor $100 for an extra bag of ice during Hurricane Ivan. My wife and I went 2 weeks (14 days) without electricity in the aftermath of that hurricane. Believe me, I got a taste of just how precious bottled water, ice, batteries, generators, fuel, etc., can become.

I suggest you have a supply of food and water to last at least two weeks. A month would be better. Many survival experts insist that a three-month supply is the minimum. Personally, I can live a long time on tuna fish or peanut butter. You can purchase MREs from a variety of sources, as well as “camp-style” packaged food from many sporting goods stores. Of course, bottled water is available everywhere during normal times. Stock up! Distilled water will store longer than spring water. Plus, I suggest you have some water purification tablets or a Katadyn water filter on hand. And, if you are able, prepare to grow your own food. In cold weather climates such as we have here in Montana, people quickly learn how to construct and utilize green houses in which to grow food. Canning food is another very helpful hedge against deprivation. If your parents and grandparents were like mine, this was standard operating procedure.

Get a generator. Keep a supply of fuel on hand. Stay stocked up on batteries, candles, portable lights, first aid supplies, and personal hygiene items--especially toilet paper. Trust me, during times of intense and prolonged disaster, toilet paper could become more valuable than money. I also suggest you never run out of lighters or matches. You never know when you’ll need to build a fire--and during a prolonged survival situation, fire could save your life. If you live in a cold weather climate, you probably already have some sort of wood stove or fireplace.

Obviously, you need to take stock of your clothing. Do you have clothes suitable for extended outdoor activity? What about boots? During a disaster, you would trade your best suit from Neiman Marcus for a good pair of boots. Do you have gloves? Insulated underwear? What about camouflage clothing? These could become essential outerwear in the right conditions. Plus, any “bug-out” bag will need to include spare clothing. And as most folks here in Montana know, “cotton kills.” For extended outdoor wear in cold weather, wool is the only way to go!
http://sectionhiker.com/why-does-cotton-kill/

Communication and medical provisions are also a high priority in any kind of emergency. How will you communicate with your loved ones when the phones (including cell phones) go down? Portable ham radios are a very valuable resource. But the time to buy (and train to use) one is NOW! A preordained rally point (or safe house) might be something to think about. And what about medical supplies? Do you have enough to take care of routine (and not-so-routine) emergencies? What about your prescription drugs? How long could you function if you were cut off from your druggist for any length of time? Also, seriously consider learning about natural, herbal medicines. Those plants growing in your “back forty” might just cure a headache, stop bleeding, or even save your life. Think about it now.

And one more suggestion, while we’re on this subject: the best resources in the world are of little use if one is physically incapable of making good use of them. In other words, GET IN SHAPE. During any kind of emergency situation, physical exertion and stamina become immensely important.

Commodities:

I suggest you have at least some cash on hand. Just about any and all disasters will result in banks being closed for extended periods of time. That also means credit card purchases being suspended. You need to have enough cash to be able to purchase essential goods (if they are even available) for an undetermined amount of time.

Of course, some survival gurus insist that during any cataclysmic climate, precious metals will become the only reliable currency. A little gold and silver could go a long way in a prolonged emergency. For that matter, with the way our fiat money system is coming unraveled, you may want to seriously consider moving your IRA accounts into precious metals, if for no other reason than to better protect your savings. Ask yourself, how much money have I already lost at the hands of these banksters in the Federal Reserve and their toadies in the stock market?

If you are interested in converting an IRA into precious metals or simply purchasing precious metals, I personally recommend that you contact my friend Chuck Coppes. He is honest and trustworthy--and no one that I know can match his overhead and profit margins. And, yes, Chuck is one of my supporters. And I am proud to return the favor. To learn more, click here.

In fact, in a disaster, what is considered a valuable commodity can change rather quickly, as the barter system takes a life of its own. What is valuable is determined by what you need and how badly you need it. In a prolonged disaster, simple things such as toilet paper, canned goods, ammunition, and clothing could become extremely valuable; while cars, video games, televisions, etc., could be reduced to junk status. In antiquity, wars were fought over things such as salt. You might be surprised to learn that there are already active barter groups in your area. I suggest you establish a relationship with these people now!

Speaking of cars, remember that during a prolonged “national emergency” that might involve some sort of nuclear attack or widespread civil unrest, an Electromagnetic Pulse (EMP) might be employed; in which case, most every late model vehicle would be completely inoperable. Accordingly, if one can keep an older, pre-computer-age vehicle in good working order, he or she might be driving the only non-government vehicle capable of going anywhere. Of course, you might not want to drive it to town!

Self-Defense:

Needless to say, during any kind of disaster, your safety and protection will be completely up to you. If you really think that the police are going to be able to protect you during an upheaval, you are living in a dream world.

In both the New Orleans and Los Angeles disasters, police protection was non-existent. Lawless gangs quickly took control of the streets, and people were left to either defend themselves or swiftly become the helpless prey of violent marauders. In fact, in New Orleans, some of the policemen actually abandoned their oaths to uphold the law and joined with the criminals, turning their weapons upon the public.

Face it, folks: in any kind of disaster, you must be able to defend yourself, or you and your family will be meat for these animals of society that will quickly descend without mercy upon the unprepared, unsuspecting souls around them. This requires that you be armed! It also requires that you be skilled enough to be able to efficiently use your arms. Therefore, I strongly suggest that you purchase firearms sufficient to keep you and your family safe, and also that you practice sufficiently to know how to use them.

Now, when it comes to a discussion of which firearms are preferable for self-defense, the suggestions are as varied as the people who proffer them. These are my suggestions:

I believe every man (along with his wife and children of adequate age) should be proficient with the following weapons: a handgun in .38 caliber or above, a .22 rifle, a center-fire bolt-action hunting rifle, a semi-automatic battle rifle, and a shotgun.

My personal preference for a self-defense handgun is either a .45 ACP 1911 (either Colt or Kimber), a Glock .45, or a .40 S&W. In the .40 caliber, my favorite is a Glock 23. In the 1911, I like the Commander size configuration. I prefer either the Model 21 or the Model 30 in the Glock .45. And I will also admit to sometimes carrying a 9mm Glock 19 or a Smith & Wesson .357 revolver. My two favorites in this caliber are the Model 66 with a 2 1/2-inch barrel and the Model 586 with a 4-inch barrel. My wife prefers to carry a Smith & Wesson .38 caliber revolver in the snub-nose, J-frame configuration. But this is primarily due to the reduced weight of these weapons for carry purposes. If needed, she could make a good accounting of herself with the Glock 19. If you are someone who has never owned and seldom fired a handgun, I recommend you buy a Glock. They are as simple as revolvers to operate, reliable, and almost indestructible. Plus, they provide increased magazine capacity, and are safe. They are also very easy to disassemble and clean. Of course, in dangerous game territory, you will need the power of a 10mm (the Glock 20 shines here), .45 Long Colt, .44 Special or .44 Magnum, or even a .454 Casull. These calibers are not for the limp-wristed, but when one is facing a brown bear or mountain lion, it is what one will need to survive. Plus, when your life is on the line, you’ll never feel the recoil.

For a .22 rifle, I really like the Ruger 10/22. A Marlin tube-fed .22 is also very effective. The CZ bolt-action .22 just might be the most accurate .22 on the market. For a hunting rifle, my suggestion is either a .270 or .30-06 caliber bolt-action rifle. I prefer the Remington Model 700 BDL or Browning X-Bolt, but there are several fine weapons in this configuration and caliber by numerous manufacturers. In dangerous game territory, a Marlin .45-70 could be a lifesaver. For a battle rifle, I suggest an AR-15-style weapon (I prefer Bushmaster) in .223 caliber or a .308 Springfield M1A. For a shotgun, I suggest a 12-gauge pump. Here I prefer a Winchester Model 1300, which is not made anymore. So, you’ll probably have to choose between Mossberg and Remington. For ladies, however, a 20-gauge shotgun is probably a better choice, and at “bad breath” range (where a shotgun shines, anyway), it is just as lethal.

Whatever you choose, practice with it to the point that you are able to use it proficiently. And be sure you stock up on ammunition. A gun without ammo is reduced to being either an expensive club or a cumbersome paperweight.

Go to your local independent sporting goods store (I don’t recommend the large national chain stores to do your firearms shopping) and get to know your hometown firearms dealer. Most of these people are kind and helpful folks who will be more than happy to assist you in finding exactly what type of firearm is suitable for you and your family.

Spiritual Power:

I firmly believe that man is created to have fellowship with his Creator-God. I really don’t know how people can face the uncertain future that we currently face without the spiritual knowledge, wisdom, comfort, and power that is made available through Jesus Christ. I believe the maxim is true: “Wise men still seek Him.” I strongly suggest that you seek to possess a personal relationship with God’s only begotten Son. In truth, spiritual preparation is far and away the most important preparation of all. Accordingly, be sure to pack a copy of God’s Word in your survival gear.

And if you have not been able to find a local church where the pastor isn’t afraid to deal with the kind of issues like I am dealing with in this column, I invite you to worship online with us at Liberty Fellowship. People all over America who are tired of these 501c3, establishment churches--who have no clue as to what is going on and who wouldn’t take a stand if they did--are tuning in to hear my messages at Liberty Fellowship every Sunday afternoon. To tune in this Sunday, click here.
http://chuckbaldwinlive.com/home/?page_id=2606

That we are facing challenging days is a certainty. Exactly what that means is yet to be determined. I trust that some of my suggestions will help you be better prepared for what lies before us. Plus, here is an excellent online Survival Blog chock-full of great suggestions and resources for all things survival. Check it out.
http://www.survivalblog.com/

And if you are considering relocation, please check out Joel Skousen’s web site.

And if you think you may want to relocate to the Flathead Valley of Montana, George Hudson, a man at Liberty Fellowship who “escaped” from California to locate here--and who is now helping scores of people from all over the country to resettle in our beautiful valley--may be contacted here.

Please give George a few days to email you back, but he will be happy to try to answer any questions you have about moving here.

I am sure that I have left out several items that others more qualified than me would include. I welcome their suggestions, as I am always desirous to learn from those who are wiser and more experienced. In the meantime, remember your Boy Scout motto: “Be Prepared.”

http://www.newswithviews.com/baldwin/baldwin671.htm
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 07:33:44 am by Dok » Report Spam   Logged

juliyaask

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2012, 11:03:19 pm »

"Prepare for the unexpected."
how to make a survival kit
survival techniques
apocalypse survival guide
survival shelter
Report Spam   Logged
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2012, 11:44:08 pm »

You forgot one thing - our 1611 KJVs(with the Holy Spirit guiding us in our understanding of the scriptures with it). Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
Kilika
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2012, 02:12:24 am »

I would say most likely they are a spammer.
Report Spam   Logged
Mark
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2012, 04:24:38 am »

Subculture of  Awake Americans prepares for civilization's collapse

When Patty Tegeler looks out the window of her home overlooking the Appalachian Mountains in southwestern Virginia, she sees trouble on the horizon.

"In an instant, anything can happen," she told Reuters. "And I firmly believe that you have to be prepared."

Tegeler is among a growing subculture of Americans who refer to themselves informally as "preppers." Some are driven by a fear of imminent societal collapse, others are worried about terrorism, and many have a vague concern that an escalating series of natural disasters is leading to some type of environmental cataclysm.

They are following in the footsteps of hippies in the 1960s who set up communes to separate themselves from what they saw as a materialistic society, and the survivalists in the 1990s who were hoping to escape the dictates of what they perceived as an increasingly secular and oppressive government.

Preppers, though are, worried about no government.

Tegeler, 57, has turned her home in rural Virginia into a "survival center," complete with a large generator, portable heaters, water tanks, and a two-year supply of freeze-dried food that her sister recently gave her as a birthday present. She says that in case of emergency, she could survive indefinitely in her home. And she thinks that emergency could come soon.

"I think this economy is about to fall apart," she said.

A wide range of vendors market products to preppers, mainly online. They sell everything from water tanks to guns to survival skills.

Conservative talk radio host Glenn Beck seems to preach preppers' message when he tells listeners: "It's never too late to prepare for the end of the world as we know it."

"Unfortunately, given the increasing complexity and fragility of our modern technological society, the chances of a societal collapse are increasing year after year," said author James Wesley Rawles, whose Survival Blog is considered the guiding light of the prepper movement.

A former Army intelligence officer, Rawles has written fiction and non-fiction books on end-of-civilization topics, including "How to Survive the End of the World as We Know It," which is also known as the preppers' Bible.

"We could see a cascade of higher interest rates, margin calls, stock market collapses, bank runs, currency revaluations, mass street protests, and riots," he told Reuters. "The worst-case end result would be a Third World War, mass inflation, currency collapses, and long term power grid failures."

A sense of "suffering and being afraid" is usually at the root of this kind of thinking, according to Cathy Gutierrez, an expert on end-times beliefs at Sweet Briar College in Virginia. Such feelings are not unnatural in a time of economic recession and concerns about a growing national debt, she said.

"With our current dependence on things from the electric grid to the Internet, things that people have absolutely no control over, there is a feeling that a collapse scenario can easily emerge, with a belief that the end is coming, and it is all out of the individual's control," she told Reuters.

She compared the major technological developments of the past decade to the Industrial Revolution of the 1830s and 1840s, which led to the growth of the Millerites, the 19th-Century equivalent of the preppers. Followers of charismatic preacher Joseph Miller, many sold everything and gathered in 1844 for what they believed would be the second coming of Jesus Christ.

Many of today's preppers receive inspiration from the Internet, devouring information posted on websites like that run by attorney Michael T. Snider, who writes The Economic Collapse blog out of his home in northern Idaho.

"Modern preppers are much different from the survivalists of the old days," he said. "You could be living next door to a prepper and never even know it. Many suburbanites are turning spare rooms into food pantries and are going for survival training on the weekends."

Like other preppers, Snider is worried about the end of a functioning U.S. economy. He points out that tens of millions of Americans are on food stamps and that many U.S. children are living in poverty.

"Most people have a gut feeling that something has gone terribly wrong, but that doesn't mean that they understand what is happening," he said. "A lot of Americans sense that a massive economic storm is coming and they want to be prepared for it."

So, assuming there is no collapse of society -- which the preppers call "uncivilization" -- what is the future of the preppers?

Gutierrez said that unlike the Millerites -- or followers of radio preacher Harold Camping, who predicted the world would end last year -- preppers are not setting a date for the coming destruction. The Mayan Calendar predicts doom this December.

"The minute you set a date, you are courting disconfirmation," she said.

Tegeler, who recalls being hit by tornadoes and floods in her southwestern Virginia home, said that none of her "survival center" products will go to waste.

"I think it's silly not to be prepared," she said. "After all, anything can happen."

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/01/21/us-usa-civilization-collapse-idUSTRE80K0LA20120121
Report Spam   Logged

Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2012, 01:52:50 pm »

http://theextinctionprotocol.wordpress.com/2012/01/22/subculture-of-americans-prepares-for-civilizations-collapse

January 22, 2012 – CALIFORNIA – When Patty Tegeler looks out the window of her home overlooking the Appalachian Mountains in southwestern Virginia, she sees trouble on the horizon. “In an instant, anything can happen,” she told Reuters. “And I firmly believe that you have to be prepared.” Tegeler is among a growing subculture of Americans who refer to themselves informally as “preppers.” Some are driven by a fear of imminent societal collapse, others are worried about terrorism, and many have a vague concern that an escalating series of natural disasters is leading to some type of environmental cataclysm. They are following in the footsteps of hippies in the 1960s who set up communes to separate themselves from what they saw as a materialistic society, and the survivalists in the 1990s who were hoping to escape the dictates of what they perceived as an increasingly secular and oppressive government. Preppers, though are, worried about no government.

Tegeler, 57, has turned her home in rural Virginia into a “survival center,” complete with a large generator, portable heaters, water tanks, and a two-year supply of freeze-dried food that her sister recently gave her as a birthday present. She says that in case of emergency, she could survive indefinitely in her home. And she thinks that emergency could come soon. “I think this economy is about to fall apart,” she said. A wide range of vendors market products to preppers, mainly online. They sell everything from water tanks to guns to survival skills. Conservative talk radio host Glenn Beck seems to preach preppers’ message when he tells listeners: “It’s never too late to prepare for the end of the world as we know it. Unfortunately, given the increasing complexity and fragility of our modern technological society, the chances of a societal collapse are increasing year after year,” said author James Wesley Rawles, whose Survival Blog is considered the guiding light of the prepper movement. A former Army intelligence officer, Rawles has written fiction and non-fiction books on end-of-civilization topics, including “How to Survive the End of the World as We Know It,” which is also known as the preppers’ Bible. “We could see a cascade of higher interest rates, margin calls, stock market collapses, bank runs, currency revaluations, mass street protests, and riots,” he told Reuters.

more
Report Spam   Logged
Mark
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2012, 09:31:49 am »

Here is a video on how to make a cheap Alcohol stove. Good for camping and hiking as its super light weight and takes up very little space. This is a keeper for me in my mess kit.

http://faceofchemistry.com/experiments/how-make-alcohol-stove

Report Spam   Logged

Mark
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2012, 09:34:58 am »

I also just got a PDF of the classic "the backpacker’s handbook" if anyone wants a copy. It is eull of info that the Post Trib survivalist is going to need to know. I wont be here to guide you as im leaving in the Pre Trib Rapture.  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2012, 09:42:17 am »

Whether it's pre or post trib, let's be serious...as Christians, should we even be fearing or worrying, period?

Personally, my biggest concern is the modern-day church that is vastly ASLEEP - they're doing nothing but puffing up the pews' egos and telling them that everything is getting gooder and gooder, but end up failing to warn the flock to watch in these last days we're living in as these signs in Matthew 24 are starting to come to fulfillment.

With that being said - don't even bother with this secular survivalist stuff. I'm a post-trib believer, but let's be serious. The trib is ONLY 7 years, after that the LORD RETURNS!
Report Spam   Logged
Mark
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2012, 09:45:45 am »

With that being said - don't even bother with this secular survivalist stuff. I'm a post-trib believer, but let's be serious. The trib is ONLY 7 years, after that the LORD RETURNS!

with that being said, could you survive 7 years? could you survive a week on your own? That is the whole purpose of this thread, and as its hiking & camping season again i can post some good stuff.

Seriously if you sit and think about it, do you know how to gather wood and make a camp fire? its not what you think it is. How do you even cut wood for a camp fire? again, not what you think.
Report Spam   Logged

Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2012, 09:53:45 am »

with that being said, could you survive 7 years? could you survive a week on your own? That is the whole purpose of this thread, and as its hiking & camping season again i can post some good stuff.

Seriously if you sit and think about it, do you know how to gather wood and make a camp fire? its not what you think it is. How do you even cut wood for a camp fire? again, not what you think.

LOL, I'll admit, no. I'll admit too that I've grown up a *spoiled* kid(literally), although I won't go as far as saying I got my diapers changed all my life.

But yeah, I've been camping before, and while it was very good for me, it was nonetheless rough b/c I didn't know many of the camping skills(like you said above).

FYI, I believe Bryan Denlinger cuts wood for a living(he didn't say it explicitly, but he did say he doesn't work for an employer, and does alot of this stuff, so I'm guessing this is his self-employment).

And yes, while as Christians we should fast, it's not like the Lord requires us to do so for weeks like this(ie-Randall Baer talked about his fasting experiences in the New Age Movement - he said he would go out camping for a week and do without eating, as a result, he would faint, and end up being thrust into the spirit world).

I tell you what, could you email me that PDF document anyways?
Report Spam   Logged
tennis shoe

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2012, 12:37:39 pm »

Yep.

The biggest problem I ran into was keeping everything dry. Firearms rust. Clothing gets damp from sweat, condensation, or precipitation and starts to rot on the body. Ever tried to wear the same socks and underwear for a week? Cotton certainly takes a long time to dry in overcast, drizzly conditions.

Gathering wood and cutting to size was a daily chore. My best purchase was a 21” hand saw that was designed to cut quickly through wood. Camp axe proved to be slow, and very labor intensive. Firestarter was a godsend when dealing with wet wood, which was most of the time.
Report Spam   Logged
Mark
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2012, 02:08:44 pm »

Cotton certainly takes a long time to dry in overcast, drizzly conditions.

Why does Cotton Kill?
Have you ever wondered why people say Cotton Kills? Do you understand exactly why? Here’s an in-depth explanation as well as a list of other fabrics that you should avoid when shopping for hiking clothes.

Insulation
Clothing keeps you warm by trapping warm air near your skin. When cotton gets wet, it ceases to insulate you because all of the air pockets in the fabric fill up with water. When you hike, you perspire,  and any cotton clothing touching your skin will absorb your sweat like a sponge.

If the air is colder than your body temperature , you’ll feel cold because your cotton clothing is saturated and no longer providing any insulation. This can lead to disorientation, hypothermia, and potentially death if you become too chilled. Remember, hypothermia can occur in temperatures well above freezing and become serious if you get wet and chilled.

Wicking and Layering
In addition, wet cotton does not wick water away from your skin. Wicking fabrics move water from wet areas to dry ones using a process called capilary action. For example, a wicking baselayer shirt made out of Patagonia Capilene will move moisture from the surface of your skin to the outer layers of your shirt leaving the part of the fabric touching your skin dry. This is why layering is such an effective clothing strategy for hiking, because wicking fabrics move water away from your skin and up through your layers one after another, enabling the fabric near your skin to trap insulating air and retain your body’s warmth.

Wool
Wool does not wick as well as synthetic garments and will absorb up to 36% of its weight in water. Unlike cotton, it does insulate when wet and is considered an acceptable fabric for hiking clothes.

Other Forms of Cotton
Avoid wearing garments that are labelled as corduroy, denim, flannel, or duck. These are all made with cotton. In addition, steer clear of cotton-polyester blends, for example 50/50. They’ll still kill you, although it may take a little longer.

Other Fabrics to Avoid
Modal, rayon, viscose, tencel and lyocell are all manufactured fabrics made from cellulose fiber. They absorb water even faster than cotton and lose all of their insulation value when wet. You should also be very careful with clothing made from Bamboo, which is often advertised as being a green product having characteristics comparable to wool. Many bamboo fabrics are actually just a type of rayon and share all of its pitfalls.

Silk is also very absorbent and loses its insulation value when wet.

Additional Resources
REI’s How to Choose a Baselayer is a good source of additional information on the comparative strengths and weakness of different fabric types, and provides a good list of clothing synthetic and wool clothing manufacturers.

http://sectionhiker.com/why-does-cotton-kill/
Report Spam   Logged

Kilika
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2012, 04:09:52 am »

Yes, actually I do. I have no problems with the thought of going out with nothing at all and surviving, indefinately. Done it already for nearly 3 years. But regardless of what fleshly skills I may have, Jesus is with me to guide me and protect me, so no worries.

The big thing is clean water to drink. You MUST be able to find clean water within 2-3 days. I can make clean water out of salty sea water. Or in a crunch, catch morning dew for water to drink.

I can even make a good cup of coffee over an open fire with no filters. Now THAT is a major survivor skill!  Grin

In a way, it's vain worldly stuff that believers don't need, but if nothing else it's interesting.
Report Spam   Logged
Mark
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2012, 05:18:41 am »

Yes, actually I do. I have no problems with the thought of going out with nothing at all and surviving, indefinately. Done it already for nearly 3 years. But regardless of what fleshly skills I may have, Jesus is with me to guide me and protect me, so no worries.

The big thing is clean water to drink. You MUST be able to find clean water within 2-3 days. I can make clean water out of salty sea water. Or in a crunch, catch morning dew for water to drink.

I can even make a good cup of coffee over an open fire with no filters. Now THAT is a major survivor skill!  Grin

In a way, it's vain worldly stuff that believers don't need, but if nothing else it's interesting.

Thats good that you know this stuff, but a lot of people dont, mostly the ones that say we have to go through the Trib.

Also i wouldnt call it vain worldly stuff as most of this would have been everyday normal learning and knowledge in Jesus's day that they would have had to known just to survive. We live in a differnt world than they did and this kind of knowledge is lost to the modern person. And basically its stuff that people should have a basic knowledge of, especially if an earthquake or tornado hits your area and your with out power for days or weeks.
Report Spam   Logged

Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2012, 11:28:26 am »

Pre trib, Post trib, or whatever - either way, God DOES provide for the born again believers' NEEDS, period.

Personally, maybe I should learn these survivalist techniques just for that...just in case a big tornado comes by my neighborhood and wipes out everything.

And FWIW too, assuming it's post trib, doesn't the AC round up and behead all the born agains who don't want to take the mark? So what's the point in stocking up on all this food for 7 years? Getting persecuted in the name of Jesus Christ means we get out of this world and into eternal life, right?

AND...look at alot of these foods to stock up on...CANNED FOOD, which has all this BPA poison stuff in it.
Report Spam   Logged
Mark
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2012, 11:33:20 am »

Pre trib, Post trib, or whatever - either way, God DOES provide for the born again believers' NEEDS, period.

sure, but how did people survive before electricity?

Personally, maybe I should learn these survivalist techniques just for that...just in case a big tornado comes by my neighborhood and wipes out everything.

you dont know what tomorrow is bringing

And FWIW too, assuming it's post trib, doesn't the AC round up and behead all the born agains who don't want to take the mark? So what's the point in stocking up on all this food for 7 years? Getting persecuted in the name of Jesus Christ means we get out of this world and into eternal life, right?

not every one

AND...look at alot of these foods to stock up on...CANNED FOOD, which has all this BPA poison stuff in it.

canned food doesnt last like it used to. Typically 2 years shelf life.
Report Spam   Logged

Kilika
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2012, 05:28:47 pm »

I say "vain" in the sense that we live by faith, and take no thought for the morrow. By believing in Jesus we are prepared for anything!  Smiley

Yeah, there is no "just in case" when living by faith. If you are taking care of your house, then it's all good to be thankful for.

And yes, not all believers will be beheaded during that time.

Canned food lasting only 2 years? Go with the industrial strength survival cans, up to 20 years. Or just put away a case of Twinkies!  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: