End Times and Current Events
June 13, 2021, 05:58:03 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: "Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me." John 5:39 (KJB)

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

The Price Is Right ... and the Taxes Are High

Shoutbox
August 08, 2018, 02:38:10 am suzytr says: Hello, any good churches in the Sacto, CA area, also looking in Reno NV, thanks in advance and God Bless you Smiley
January 29, 2018, 01:21:57 am Christian40 says: It will be interesting to see what happens this year Israel being 70 years as a modern nation may 14 2018
October 17, 2017, 01:25:20 am Christian40 says: It is good to type Mark is here again!  Smiley
October 16, 2017, 03:28:18 am Christian40 says: anyone else thinking that time is accelerating now? it seems im doing days in shorter time now is time being affected in some way?
September 24, 2017, 10:45:16 pm Psalm 51:17 says: The specific rule pertaining to the national anthem is found on pages A62-63 of the league rulebook. It states: “The National Anthem must be played prior to every NFL game, and all players must be on the sideline for the National Anthem. “During the National Anthem, players on the field and bench area should stand at attention, face the flag, hold helmets in their left hand, and refrain from talking. The home team should ensure that the American flag is in good condition. It should be pointed out to players and coaches that we continue to be judged by the public in this area of respect for the flag and our country. Failure to be on the field by the start of the National Anthem may result in discipline, such as fines, suspensions, and/or the forfeiture of draft choice(s) for violations of the above, including first offenses.”
September 20, 2017, 04:32:32 am Christian40 says: "The most popular Hepatitis B vaccine is nothing short of a witch’s brew including aluminum, formaldehyde, yeast, amino acids, and soy. Aluminum is a known neurotoxin that destroys cellular metabolism and function. Hundreds of studies link to the ravaging effects of aluminum. The other proteins and formaldehyde serve to activate the immune system and open up the blood-brain barrier. This is NOT a good thing."
http://www.naturalnews.com/2017-08-11-new-fda-approved-hepatitis-b-vaccine-found-to-increase-heart-attack-risk-by-700.html
September 19, 2017, 03:59:21 am Christian40 says: bbc international did a video about there street preaching they are good witnesses
September 14, 2017, 08:06:04 am Psalm 51:17 says: bro Mark Hunter on YT has some good, edifying stuff too.
September 14, 2017, 04:31:26 am Christian40 says: i have thought that i'm reaping from past sins then my life has been impacted in ways from having non believers in my ancestry.
September 11, 2017, 06:59:33 am Psalm 51:17 says: The law of reaping and sowing. It's amazing how God's mercy and longsuffering has hovered over America so long. (ie, the infrastructure is very bad here b/c for many years, they were grossly underspent on. 1st Tim 6:10, the god of materialism has its roots firmly in the West) And remember once upon a time ago when shacking up b/w straight couples drew shock awe?

Exodus 20:5  Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;
View Shout History
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Price Is Right ... and the Taxes Are High  (Read 240 times)
Psalm 51:17
Global Moderator

View Profile
« on: August 19, 2013, 03:00:41 pm »

The Price Is Right ... and the Taxes Are High
8/19/13
http://shine.yahoo.com/work-money/price-8230-taxes-high-174700410.html

There is no such thing as a free lunch ... or an all-expenses paid trip to Acapulco. That's what "The Price Is Right" contestant Andrea Schwartz found out when she scored $33,000 worth of prizes, including a shiny red Mazda 2 compact car, a pool table, and a shuffle board table, on the popular television game show.

Schwartz told Yahoo! Shine that contestants won't quite know what hit them if they make it on to the show. "It's a whirlwind, they shove you around, and then you are suddenly in the parking lot, saying, 'I just played Plinko.'" You may not be prepared for the hefty taxes you'll owe before picking up your prize, either.

"Yeah, you don't just drive off the back lot with the car like I thought the entire time I was growing up," Schwartz said in a recent interview with the A.V. Club. "After the show, you fill out some paperwork and basically sign your life away. You say that you're going to pay the taxes on it. If you win in California, you have to actually pay the California state income tax ahead of time." Uncle Sam will want his cut as well, and if the prize is big enough, it could even bump you into a higher federal tax bracket, further chipping away at your win.

Schwartz's car was shipped from Los Angeles to a dealer near her home in Reno, Nevada. Before she could claim it, she had to pay $2,500 in taxes. Luckily, she had won $1,200 in cash playing the show's Plinko game and also had some money in savings – but not all contestants have the resources to even collect their winnings. "I think a lot of people don't understand what they're getting themselves into. They're just like, 'Oh my God, I'm going to win a bunch of stuff,' and then they're going to have to forfeit their prizes because they can't afford to pay the taxes on them," she said. Yahoo! Shine could not reach the program for comment.

Another former winner explained on Aurora's Blog that if you win a car, you'll get a call to retrieve it sometime during the 90-day period after your show airs. You only have 10 days to pick it up, and the dealer could be as far as 150 miles from your home address. If you can't arrange the paperwork, tax payment, and pick up within that time, you will forfeit your booty.

As for Schwartz's other prizes, the pool table and shuffle board table were worth an estimated $14,000, but Schwartz sold them for $4,500 on Craigslist because they were too big to fit into her small apartment. "I took a bite on that one," she said. Because the game show will only deliver to the winner's home address, if a prize (say, the ever-popular bedroom set) is too large, the winner will have to pay for shipping to an alternate location. Schwartz was fortunate that the vendor agreed to store the items for the couple of months it took her to unload them.

Wondering why Schwartz and other contestants don't take the cash value instead of the prizes? "There is no cash value option," explained Aurora's Blog. "They make it super clear in all of the paperwork – you take exactly what you won, or you take nothing."

And what about that trip to sunny Acapulco? The tickets are nontransferable, so there is no way to sell it. You had better just kick back and enjoy the beach ... after springing for the sales and income taxes, of course.

Schwartz says she was fortunate to win a small car and other fairly high-quality, relatively salable items. "If I had won the other showcase, it would have been trips, a refrigerator, and a stove," she told Yahoo! Shine. Ultimately, she invested the money she earned from selling her winnings into a food truck business called the Souper Wagon. Even contestants who wind up winning cash prizes don't always benefit though, thanks to their own personal issues. According to ABC, one winner even turned down an actual cash prize of $10,000 since he didn't want to split it with his ex-wife.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: